Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Wow, thanks for being willing to share all that with us, tsaxlady.
    I've been sitting here staring at the screen wanting to respond and not knowing what to say. Astro's simple sentence captures my feelings. So thank you to both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      There's an excellent Janet/adventure story called "The Measure of a Hero" & I'm sure there are others, but I've only scratched the fanfic surface.
      thanks. (it's mine. I wrote it after a friend of mine read me grousing about how bridge could pull a happy ending out of it and i theorized how they could do it and she said 'stop *****ing and write it')

Sam and Janet, maybe i've just found some of the bad ones.
      I've found sam usually portrayed as really butch and rather tough and I just see her a bit softer than many authors portray her.
      Maybe you could post some links to some good femslash fic?
      You like asking for trouble, don't you Skydiver? Asking me to recommend Sam/Janet stories is a little like saying to the Pope, "Talk about God, okay?" I mean, where do I start? (There are, at minimum, over 9,000 SG-1 fanfics of all genres on the Web.) I'll have to work up a list & get back to you.
      And, yes, I'm afraid you've been reading the bad ones. Sam & Janet have somewhat of a butch/femme dynamic on the show, especially when Sam hovers protectively over Janet, as she is wont to do (which is partly why a lot of people find that they 'read' like a couple; they're very complementary). But Janet is firmer, more outspoken & less self-doubting, while Sam is more vulnerable & wears her emotions more on her sleve. She's certainly not hard-edged or abrasive, our Sam. Quite the contrary.
      BTW, I'm happy to say that Skydiver's "The Measure of a Hero" was among the winners in Abydos Gate's 2005 Teryl Rothery Contest. I hope it shows up in the Stargate Fan Awards so I can vote for it again.
      I haven't had time to read RocketChick's "Ancient Air Series" but I can certainly (and enthusiastically) second Agent Dark's endorsement of "Before Knowing Remembers." I'm convinced it will rank as a masterpiece of fanfic. It's mostly Sam + some SamJan romance. Same for "The Beat of a Heart," which might be called a Grace fix-it, in that it ultimately steers Sam into the arms of Janet rather than (Ugh!) Pete. Then there's the short, devastating post-Heroes "One Last Kiss," which features a magnificent twist ending. RocketChick writes wonderfully for all the team & especially Jack, who emerges as the best friend you wish you had.
      Mandy's "Relativity" is a straight (so to speak) SamJan adventure that looks promising, although I haven't gotten too far into it yet. I should make it clear that I read quite a few different types of SG-1 fanfic but I dig Carter & Fraiser so much as characters that those are the stories I gravitate toward most.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

So, has anyone heard anything from/about AT lately? Other than the interview that was taped at the end of Season 8, has anyone heard how AT & Olivia are doing? Or how AT feels about coming back to the set?
        At the Vancouver con several different people talked about Amanda bringing Olivia to the set a couple of weeks ago - they said that they were to start shoting the first episode that she will be in for the season before she is back so they will do like they have done the last couple of seasons with RDA and use her stand-in to start filming and then when she is back they will do her scenes. I did hear that Thomasina Gibson was in town to do some work and was staying with Amanda so maybe she will do an article on her soon.
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I thought she looked like she'd just come back too (just out of the 'Gate) and I thought she didn't know yet about the 'final condition' of either Janet or Jack. For all she knew she'd lost both?
          i got the impression she 'did' know about janet. i say this because of how hard she was crying. she prob knew jack was at least still alive (as of the last time she saw him), but she prob found out about janet while still on the planet, and prob saw her too. and i'm only going by how upset she was. but i could be wrong.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

AD -There's a full set of Season 8 screencaps at http://www.stargatesg1971.com/index.html
            Hey there is too! sweet
            Most of the screencap sites I went to only have a few from some episodes, which was why I got em from at.com (was only after Sam pics anyway! ) but this sites got 'em all

Comment

spoilers for s8's threads

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

RE Jacob, when I first watched Threads, I was honestly a little confused why Sam didn't seem to show much emotion over her fathers death until I realized that she had probably been expecting this. I think she knew something was up with her dad and had mentally prepared herself, and now going back and watching it I think that scene is perfectally done.
              i think she's prob been preparing herself for this loss since she found out her dad had cancer. yes, that issue was resolved, but the angst only changed to worrying about ever seeing him again when he became a tok'ra. i think there's been a part of sam that's been ready for this for years. not ready like, 'okay, i'm ready, you can croak now', but that she's been steeling herself with this for quite some time. and i agree with what others have said about the fall-out of jacob's death hitting her when she's least expecting it. poor sam.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Thanks for the pic too Uber, AT.com doesn't have screencaps of Gemini up yet so I hadn't been able to get any RepliCarter pics yet
                try here: http://stargate-sg1.hu/photos/index...._-_by_Brittney

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  You're mighty welcome.

I did a bit of Photoshopping on that one as you can imagine...first removing the SKYONE text from her hair and then adjusting the brightness/saturation/contrast/levels/lighting/curves/color balance so we could actually see her face and it was the correct tone...

Here are the before and after shots:

BEFORE:
                  http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/gemini_sam11.jpg

AFTER:
                  http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/samfor9.jpg

first off, THANK YOU for sharing these wonderful pics!

do you guys notice how much 'soul' you can see in amanda/sam's eyes? when they say that the eyes are the windows to the soul, they must have been talking about amanda.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

So, has anyone heard anything from/about AT lately? Other than the interview that was taped at the end of Season 8, has anyone heard how AT & Olivia are doing? Or how AT feels about coming back to the set?
                    no.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                      I haven't had time to read RocketChick's "Ancient Air Series" but I can certainly (and enthusiastically) second Agent Dark's endorsement of "Before Knowing Remembers." I'm convinced it will rank as a masterpiece of fanfic. It's mostly Sam + some SamJan romance. Same for "The Beat of a Heart," which might be called a Grace fix-it, in that it ultimately steers Sam into the arms of Janet rather than (Ugh!) Pete. Then there's the short, devastating post-Heroes "One Last Kiss," which features a magnificent twist ending. RocketChick writes wonderfully for all the team & especially Jack, who emerges as the best friend you wish you had.
                      Mandy's "Relativity" is a straight (so to speak) SamJan adventure that looks promising, although I haven't gotten too far into it yet. I should make it clear that I read quite a few different types of SG-1 fanfic but I dig Carter & Fraiser so much as characters that those are the stories I gravitate toward most.
                      Thanks for the recs Carterslave, I'll check 'em out!

(Samanda on Page 2!!! What is the world coming too?? )

Comment

i would imagine that amanda is enjoying the last bits of her time off. presuming she's taking the typical 6 weeks, she's only got a couple left before she has to go back to work
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i would imagine that amanda is enjoying the last bits of her time off. presuming she's taking the typical 6 weeks, she's only got a couple left before she has to go back to work
                          Hopefully she has someone around to help her and Olivia is one of those lovely babies that sleeps alot. Six weeks may seem like a long time, but the first few months of motherhood is anything but a relaxing time. From what I have read, AT is used to a very hectic schedule with little sleep, so the changes in having a new baby may not have been so drastic for her, but as wonderful as a new baby can be, they can be very hard on the body as in the time it takes to recover physically and the irratic sleeping patterns. As much as I want AT back on Stargate, I would hate to see her rush things. I really hope she's been surrounded by people to help her with her new bundle of joy and she's been able to get some quality rest while she's been off.

Kat
                          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 27 April 2005, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            spoilers for s8's threads

i think she's prob been preparing herself for this loss since she found out her dad had cancer. yes, that issue was resolved, but the angst only changed to worrying about ever seeing him again when he became a tok'ra. i think there's been a part of sam that's been ready for this for years. not ready like, 'okay, i'm ready, you can croak now', but that she's been steeling herself with this for quite some time. and i agree with what others have said about the fall-out of jacob's death hitting her when she's least expecting it. poor sam.

sally
                            Yeah,
                            Spoiler:
                            plus I think she was just grateful she had the extra time with him. Extending his life allowed her to grow closer to her Dad. At the end they had a very strong relationship. She probably broke down when she was by herself.
                            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

With all the discussions regarding Janet and Jacob over the past few days, I found myself compelled to made another collage. It's not quite what I had intended, but it's not too bad.

Someone watching over me

Warning: This photo does suggest spoilers for S8.
                              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                                At the Vancouver con several different people talked about Amanda bringing Olivia to the set a couple of weeks ago - they said that they were to start shoting the first episode that she will be in for the season before she is back so they will do like they have done the last couple of seasons with RDA and use her stand-in to start filming and then when she is back they will do her scenes. I did hear that Thomasina Gibson was in town to do some work and was staying with Amanda so maybe she will do an article on her soon.
                                OK, now I'm jealous of Ms. Gibson!

Comment

Working...
                                X