Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    true story:

there was a family who lost thier son. right before he died he'd broken apart a 5 pound block of hamburger into smaller packages. the boys' father says he'll never throw away that hamburger because it was the last thing the boy touched.

dates strike you. this was her birthday/anniversary

getting aletter in the mail or remembering that you wont' get your customary box of valentine's chocolate because she always bought it for you

lots of little things jump up to grab you
    Like I said...grief is a funny thing. It affects people in all sorts of different ways...and the same person can react to that grief differently at different times.

When Janet died...she was angry and shocked at first, then acted matter-of-factly with Woolsey (because she had prepared herself for that interview), was quietly mourning when discussing with General Hammond how losing Janet affected him personally and then really cried as she struggled to come up with the words to honor her friend.

And then with her father...Sam wasn't bawling when Jacob died. Her emotions were controlled...she was mentally prepared to handle that specific hurdle at that specific time. She steeled herself for the actual event of losing him and even looked at it from a logical and accepting perspective.

But what happened later that evening? Maybe she went home and started thinking about something truly mundane and work related...perhaps her thoughts veered toward something she was working on in her lab, like a naquadah reactor casing or how to better stabilize naquadriah...

...and then she incidentally glanced over at a picture from years ago resting on her desk of her and her father together with both of them smiling and before she knew it, she fell apart.
    Last edited by Uber; 26 April 2005, 06:38 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Great pics, Uber! And I see that the first one is one of Agent D's rotating sig pics! Go Sam!
      Ah yes, couldn't resist such an awesome pic of Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Ah yes, couldn't resist such an awesome pic of Sam!
        Dang...I haven't seen that one in the rotation yet...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

RE Sam's reaction in Heroes
          I know it's all been said before, but I'll chip in my 2 cents

I thought it was an honest human reaction to the sudden loss of a best friend (or maybe more ). Add to the fact that she was a non-combantant trying to save someone else's life. And I fail to see how anyone could perceive that as 'weak'

In fact I think the only thing wrong with Heroes is the Cassie issue - other than that its a great episode.

RE Jacob, when I first watched Threads, I was honestly a little confused why Sam didn't seem to show much emotion over her fathers death until I realized that she had probably been expecting this. I think she knew something was up with her dad and had mentally prepared herself, and now going back and watching it I think that scene is perfectally done.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Dang...I haven't seen that one in the rotation yet...

Thanks for the pic too Uber, AT.com doesn't have screencaps of Gemini up yet so I hadn't been able to get any RepliCarter pics yet

Comment

Thanks for the pic too Uber, AT.com doesn't have screencaps of Gemini up yet so I hadn't been able to get any RepliCarter pics yet
              You're mighty welcome.

I did a bit of Photoshopping on that one as you can imagine...first removing the SKYONE text from her hair and then adjusting the brightness/saturation/contrast/levels/lighting/curves/color balance so we could actually see her face and it was the correct tone...

Here are the before and after shots:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comment

i think jacob telling sam, then her having days to prepare helps. with janet, it was a shock and sam was riding an adrenaline rush

with jacob, she had time. when he told her, she didn't want to break down in front of him and make it harder for him. she then had days to crawl off on her own and cry

i think she also didn't want to turn into a sobbing mass in the middle of her work environment
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You're mighty welcome.

I did a bit of Photoshopping on that one as you can imagine...first removing the SKYONE text from her hair and then adjusting the brightness/saturation/contrast/levels/lighting/curves/color balance so we could actually see her face and it was the correct tone...

BEFORE:
                  http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/gemini_sam11.jpg

AFTER:
                  http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/samfor9.jpg
                  Great clean-up job. The skin tones and hair color are just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    i think jacob telling sam, then her having days to prepare helps. with janet, it was a shock and sam was riding an adrenaline rush

with jacob, she had time. when he told her, she didn't want to break down in front of him and make it harder for him. she then had days to crawl off on her own and cry

i think she also didn't want to turn into a sobbing mass in the middle of her work environment
                    Okay I'm going to go at this from a very personal angle -

The shock of losing someone close and then have a TV camera in your face can bring out very strong emotions in a person - my own father was murdered in his office and I was the family member taht had to ID him for the police - after making the ID I went with the police chaplain into another room to make plans on who & how to contact other family members - we then went to leave to go tell my mother when as we walked under the police's taped off area when one of the local TV stations newsman got close put a mic in my face and started asking questions - well with all the adrenaline that rushed through me at that moment I grabed the mic and threw it at the camera at which point the police moved them off (because a close family friend worked for the station the footage was never shown on TV and I was given the original tape - which I burned)

Several years later my mother died after a long illness and when I was called at work by the nurse to tell me I needed to get to the hospital ASAP I was very calm - in fact a few people that came by the hospital that day before she died were shocked at how calm I was - but we had known this was coming and had talked about it - so I was as ready as one can be to lose a family member.

When I first saw Heroes the scene with Sam and the camera crew in the hall brought up strong emotions for me and as much as I love Teryl and the character of Dr. Fraiser - I think Heroes is on of the best episodes ever - I remember riding the wave of emotion with Sam from scene to scene -

When Janet died...she was angry and shocked at first, then acted matter-of-factly with Woolsey (because she had prepared herself for that interview), was quietly mourning when discussing with General Hammond how losing Janet affected him personally and then really cried as she struggled to come up with the words to honor her friend
                    I remember these feelings - shock and anger which at first was directed at the TV news crew - later that day being very calm answering questions for the police - mourning with friends - back to struggling to plan the memorial service

I've only watched Heroes a couple of times and I have to be in the right mood to watch it - but I think it is a great piece of work. Amanda as always did an amazing job with the emotion rollercoaster ride of emotions and pulling me in -

Bottom line - Amanda's job of portraying these two very different reactions to the loss of a close friend (Heroes) and a family member (Threads) were bang on and great pieces of acting!
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

OMG that reminds me, all the special behind the scenes stuff on the Season 4 DVD's have these *very* funny (in a deliberate lame kinda way) introductions with Don S. Davis and Teryl Rothery.
                      By all accounts, Davis & Rothery are dear, wonderful people IRL—and it is impossible to overstate what they bring to Stargate. Make that "brought." It breaks my heart that they are no longer on the show. That's life ... but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

You're mighty welcome.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
                        Originally posted by SamFan31
                        Great clean-up job. The skin tones and hair color are just right.
                        I agree, Samfan! Great job, Uber

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          Okay I'm going to go at this from a very personal angle -

The shock of losing someone close and then have a TV camera in your face can bring out very strong emotions in a person - my own father was murdered in his office and I was the family member taht had to ID him for the police - after making the ID I went with the police chaplain into another room to make plans on who & how to contact other family members - we then went to leave to go tell my mother when as we walked under the police's taped off area when one of the local TV stations newsman got close put a mic in my face and started asking questions - well with all the adrenaline that rushed through me at that moment I grabed the mic and threw it at the camera at which point the police moved them off (because a close family friend worked for the station the footage was never shown on TV and I was given the original tape - which I burned)

Several years later my mother died after a long illness and when I was called at work by the nurse to tell me I needed to get to the hospital ASAP I was very calm - in fact a few people that came by the hospital that day before she died were shocked at how calm I was - but we had known this was coming and had talked about it - so I was as ready as one can be to lose a family member.

When I first saw Heroes the scene with Sam and the camera crew in the hall brought up strong emotions for me and as much as I love Teryl and the character of Dr. Fraiser - I think Heroes is on of the best episodes ever - I remember riding the wave of emotion with Sam from scene to scene -

I remember these feelings - shock and anger which at first was directed at the TV news crew - later that day being very calm answering questions for the police - mourning with friends - back to struggling to plan the memorial service

I've only watched Heroes a couple of times and I have to be in the right mood to watch it - but I think it is a great piece of work. Amanda as always did an amazing job with the emotion rollercoaster ride of emotions and pulling me in -

Bottom line - Amanda's job of portraying these two very different reactions to the loss of a close friend (Heroes) and a family member (Threads) were bang on and great pieces of acting!
                          Wow, thanks for being willing to share all that with us, tsaxlady.

Comment

So, has anyone heard anything from/about AT lately? Other than the interview that was taped at the end of Season 8, has anyone heard how AT & Olivia are doing? Or how AT feels about coming back to the set?

Comment

AD -There's a full set of Season 8 screencaps at http://www.stargatesg1971.com/index.html

Comment

Well I've heard absolutely diddley-zero. And that kills me...especially seeing the rest of the Sam-less pics for Avalon...

I want our Sam!

Comment

Working...
                                X