Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Well... If AT gets to go shirtless as well....
    I'm going to file that one in the "you wish" category, AD...

Back to a more serious note, I truly hope that AT puts her foot down and maintains same level of honor and respectability for the character as she has in the past and will not allow her character to be demeaned by any PTB that want her to wear something other than what a distinguished Air Force Colonel would wear.

This is how I want to see Sam in Season 9 (I just love these pics):

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
      That's the problem with livinf in Oz, we never get to see the specials! Darn it! I managed to get a hold of the season eight lowdown - any suggestions for how i could get my hands on the season seven one?
      Its on the Season 6 DVD's (for some reason). I don't know what volume it is, but its on the 5th disc (2nd one) in the Boxset

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        I'm going to file that one in the "you wish" category, AD...

Haha

But yeah, having Sam dress up like Vala is would be a big no-no in my book. I like Carter in BDU's and I think she looks good in them. And I doubt AT would even let them dress her up like a bimbo.

Definately agree with you on those picture Uber!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Here's a new pic to play with...

Guess The Episode

...or make up a caption...
          ...or create a new episode title...

Photo is from http://www.stargatesg1971.com/index.html
          Spoiler:
          Enemies

Comment

Okay I'm going to tackle a few different subjects from today in one post.

Leo Awards - here is the link to the rules for the Leo Awards on their official site http://www.leoawards.com/index.php?page=rules - Yes I know that these are 2004 rules - only changes would be dates for 2005 awards - and I agree "Affinity" would not be my choice for a submission and/or winner.

Bridge Studios - Okay I learned somethings about the studio that I did not know when I went on the studio tour last week. The studio is what was formerly the Dominion Bridge bridge-building plant - they built the Golden Gate and Lions Gate Bridges. They currently have 6 sound stages, an effects stage & a baby stage. The sound stage were SG-1 is filmed is part of the original complex which accounts for its lack of AC. Atlantis is on a new stage built that was built for a movie which is why they have AC. The sound stage were SG-1 is filmed almost burnt down during the first season when a light was knocked over on a Friday afternoon - no one noticed that it was knocked it part of the set and it was early in the morning when production staff was informed that the fire department was on site and there were flames coming through the roof. One of the staff members that was walking around with us said that it has just been the last year or so since the smell of smoke from the fire is finally gone. It was joked about several times about how the ATlantis set has AC and the SG-1 set does notFor more on the studio check you may want to check out the studio web site http://www.bridgestudios.com/home.html

You will notice when the picture for S9 start coming out that Chris Judge has lost some weight - however after seeing him last week the loss of weight only make his arms look bigger - okay I admit it he is one fine looking gentleman

Personally I have not minded the t-shirts this past season - but Valas outfits well since the directors like to blow things up - how about they set them on fire and/or blow them up for good.

Oh - one more thing
            Originally posted by astrogeologist
            Here's a new pic to play with...

Guess The Episode

...or make up a caption...
            ...or create a new episode title...
            It's from
            Spoiler:
            Season 5 - Enemies
            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

They say the third times the charm...so hopefully you all will see what I'm asking and respond! Well, on reading what I wrote before, perhaps my question was a smidge confusing so I'll try again and be more direct!

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

What are your thoughts about episodes during Season 8 where perhaps rather than the substory TPTB chose for that episode, they could have instead inserted a series of Sam and Cassandra scenes?

My thoughts were that LOCKDOWN might have been a good opportunity.

LOCKDOWN

...what if...

Cassie had come to visit with Sam at the SGC right before the Lockdown was instigated. We could have had some really neat scenes at the beginning perhaps establishing Cassie as having a harder time coping with Janet's death than maybe Sam and the others had believed.

Then during the Lockdown scenario, what if Cassie and Sam had had the chance to talk...since neither of them were going anywhere. And then of course, maybe a neat transition of Sam being taken over by Anubis while talking to Cassie, as in one moment she's emotional and loving, perhaps even hugging Cassie as they finally really talk about Janet and what losing her means to both of them. Maybe even Sam is smiling as she's embracing her and then turning darker for no reason whatsoever (both Cassie and we as the audience wouldn't understand at first what was happening) but then Sam would leave to do her Anubis thing.

This is just my postulating about a time during the first part of Season 8 when Sam and Cassie might have had a chance to talk.

And now I'll repeat the question for clarity: WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT I WROTE? and WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT OTHER TIMES WHEN THEY COULD HAVE TIED IN A NEAT SEQUENCE OF SAM AND CASSANDRA SCENES DURING A SEASON 8 EP? and lastly, WHY AM I TYPING IN ALL CAPS??????

Last edited by Uber; 25 April 2005, 10:05 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Haha

But yeah, having Sam dress up like Vala is would be a big no-no in my book. I like Carter in BDU's and I think she looks good in them. And I doubt AT would even let them dress her up like a bimbo.

Definately agree with you on those picture Uber!
                Yeah I'm thinking that when I can finally have a custom Avatar, I'm going for the top one I posted. It's just such a great shot. I love her hair, she's holding a P90 and she's got such an intense look in her eyes.

Way cool and definitely one of my favorite pics of her.

PS I hope she wears her hair like that next season... (oh, great. I'm draggin us back into the whole hair convo again... )

PSS...when EXACTLY can I change my Avatar???

Comment

They say the third times the charm...so hopefully you all will see what I'm asking and respond! Well, on reading what I wrote before, perhaps my question was a smidge confusing so I'll try again and be more direct!

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

What are your thoughts about episodes during Season 8 where perhaps rather than the substory TPTB chose for that episode, they could have instead inserted a series of Sam and Cassandra scenes?

My thoughts were that LOCKDOWN might have been a good opportunity.

LOCKDOWN

...what if...

Cassie had come to visit with Sam at the SGC right before the Lockdown was instigated. We could have had some really neat scenes at the beginning perhaps establishing Cassie as having a harder time coping with Janet's death than maybe Sam and the others had believed.

Then during the Lockdown scenario, what if Cassie and Sam had had the chance to talk...since neither of them were going anywhere. And then of course, maybe a neat transition of Sam being taken over by Anubis while talking to Cassie, as in one moment she's emotional and loving, perhaps even hugging Cassie as they finally really talk about Janet and what losing her means to both of them. Maybe even Sam is smiling as she's embracing her and then turning darker for no reason whatsoever (both Cassie and we as the audience wouldn't understand at first what was happening) but then Sam would leave to do her Anubis thing.

This is just my postulating about a time during the first part of Season 8 when Sam and Cassie might have had a chance to talk.

And now I'll repeat the question for clarity: WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT I WROTE? and WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT OTHER TIMES WHEN THEY COULD HAVE TIED IN A NEAT SEQUENCE OF SAM AND CASSANDRA SCENES? and lastly, WHY AM I TYPING IN ALL CAPS??????

Yep I new I forgot something in my last post - Cassandra

I would like to have seen her part of a story in S8 - Lockdown would have worked - I remember hearing that they wanted her to be in "Heroes" (I think it's on the commentaries but I'll have to listen to them again to be sure) but the actress who played her last was not available so they just talked about her instead of having someone else play the part. Hopefully we will see her in S9.
                  My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                    Yep I new I forgot something in my last post - Cassandra

I would like to have seen her part of a story in S8 - Lockdown would have worked - I remember hearing that they wanted her to be in "Heroes" (I think it's on the commentaries but I'll have to listen to them again to be sure) but the actress who played her last was not available so they just talked about her instead of having someone else play the part. Hopefully we will see her in S9.
                    Yeah - in the Rite of Passage audio commentary (which I can no longer see thanks to my frelling DVD issues), PDL pointed out how they couldn't get the first Cassandra, who by then had her own TV series...and that THIS Cassandra was actually the actress who was in Bane. I felt so stupid because I knew she looked familiar but couldn't place her... DOH'!

What about other potential opportunities in Season 8? What other episodes could they have had Cassandra in instead of whatever secondary story they had on tap?

See, my sense was they could have spent LESS time with the Russian guy, because really, those scenes between him and Daniel didn't do anything for the story at all IMHO...

How much neater instead if it could have been about Sam and Cassie...here she is now essentially her mother figure (although I'm not sure exactly where Cassie is as she obviously doesn't live with Sam)...and boy could there have been some stellar moments between the two of them as they deal with the emotional trauma of losing Janet while Sam is working on the Lockdown situation...

It's weird. I see the scenes so vividly in my mind that I have to almost remind myself that I just made it up...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      What I’d like to see in Season 9:
                      Cassie, unable to deal with the loss of her second mother, and afraid that Pete could become her stepfather, has become a troubled teen alcoholic. <snip> Sam, desperate, sends Cassie to the Jaffa for a 6 week program to dry out and “snap out of it.” Just kidding!
                      At least your idea has backstory, motivation, conflict & adversity—four elements in short supply in the S9 spoilers. The only two decent story ideas I've seen for S9 were tongue-in-cheek fan suggestions. Hmph.

While I'm in a mood to grouse, the DVD releases are a pet peeve of mine. Compared to Region 2, the U.S. gets a rather 'minimalist' version. When it comes to including Lowdowns, deleted scenes, specials, promos, convention footage, etc., MGM could do a lot better. At least the 'Video Diaries' were a good idea, even if the execution is highly variable. (AT's is the best I've seen to date—it had structure & energy; I'm still trying to find the Teryl Rothery one.)
                      The sleeveless T's are odd & never can get used to them. All of a sudden the SGC starts looking like a gay bar, especially w. Daniel & Teal'c showing off their biceps. If they're going to wear those shirts, perhaps we should have scenes of them lifting weights to accompaniment of a pounding disco beat.

Who do I have to think for making me a recipient of the Order of the Blue Jello? AstroG, was it you? Thanks muchly, whoever it was. I'm very appreciative.

Carter Family Dialogue We'd Like To Hear:
                      Jacob: "Jack my boy, if there's one thing I've learned from Selmac it's this: never French-kiss a woman who's carrying a symbiote."

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

And now I'll repeat the question for clarity: WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT I WROTE? and WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT OTHER TIMES WHEN THEY COULD HAVE TIED IN A NEAT SEQUENCE OF SAM AND CASSANDRA SCENES DURING A SEASON 8 EP? and lastly, WHY AM I TYPING IN ALL CAPS??????

I think it'd make a great episode tag and that you should write it! (after you finish your trilogy of course )

Affinity/Threads could of had some Sam/Cassie moments. Cassie could offer her (teenage) advice to Sam regarding her proposal and also could have been there for
                        Spoiler:
                        Jacob's death

I think you're typing in caps because you're angry about your DVD issues

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                          (AT's is the best I've seen to date—it had structure & energy; I'm still trying to find the Teryl Rothery one.)
                          Dunno if the Region 1's are the same, but we (Region 4) have the Teryl diary on the Season4 DVD's...

OMG that reminds me, all the special behind the scenes stuff on the Season 4 DVD's have these *very* funny (in a deliberate lame kinda way) introductions with Don S. Davis and Teryl Rothery 'General Hammond' greets the viewer and asks 'Doctor Fraiser' to show them around the 'base' lol. I'm not sure if its just on the Region4's or whatnot, but it is very funny

Comment

Dunno if the Region 1's are the same, but we (Region 4) have the Teryl diary on the Season4 DVD's...

OMG that reminds me, all the special behind the scenes stuff on the Season 4 DVD's have these *very* funny (in a deliberate lame kinda way) introductions with Don S. Davis and Teryl Rothery 'General Hammond' greets the viewer and asks 'Doctor Fraiser' to show them around the 'base' lol. I'm not sure if its just on the Region4's or whatnot, but it is very funny
                            So true! They are also on Region 1 - "Secret Files of the SGC".

Comment

Its on the Season 6 DVD's (for some reason). I don't know what volume it is, but its on the 5th disc (2nd one) in the Boxset
                              What a coincidence! I'm getting my season six boxset tomorrow!!! Thanks for letting me know.

As for the whole 'tank top' debate, after seeing the TRAINWRECK they've but Vala in, I think they're wonderful!
                              Royal Page of Samanda
                              "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."

Comment

If anyone can make a navel ring classy, it's Amanda Tapping. But it's Teryl Rothery's toe ring that makes me ..... *Thud!*

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i can see what the femslashers see. in fact, iirc, rite of passage is referred to as 'the eps where cassie gets two mommies.'[
                                I know I've referred to it online as Cassandra Has Two Mommies, in reference to a famous/notorious childrens' book. (Yes, I snark Stargate a lot but only b/c I love it deeply.)

of course, after years of wathing the j/d, s&j crowds turn the smallest little exchange into 'proof positive'
                                Hmmmm ... "Proof Positive"? That'd be a good title for a show, maybe hosted by an incredibly hot & talented Canadian actress. Popular shows are broken down in search of shippy moments that are "proof positive" of the OTP.
                                if i want my fix of sam, i'm probably going to have to read a ship fic because, for the most part, the sam/jack crowd are the only ones who write the character in anything but a supporting role
                                A swashbuckling Sam features prominently in a lot of the Sam/Janet stories. Like any kind of literature, slashfics run the gamut from great to bloody awful (& somehow the awful ones are harder to forget), but the ones that don't outright deify Sam tend to have a great deal of good characterization. (And many of them are quite chaste.) There's also some terrific Sam-only & Janet-only stuff out there.
                                I still haven't read too many good team fictions & the problem I have with most of the Sam/Jack stuff I've read is that it tends to be maudlin & sappy. (Some of the raunchy stuff is actually better written.) There's an excellent Janet/adventure story called "The Measure of a Hero" & I'm sure there are others, but I've only scratched the fanfic surface.
                                The strange thing about the Jack/Daniel dynamic is that their banter on the show (especially in S1-3) gets rather fey at times and in One False Step they have an argument that—for comic purposes—is played like a 'lovers' quarrel,' complete w. shippy make-up scene. What's really funny is how this creeps into the subconscious of some of the 'gen' and even *S/J* fanfics. I've had some 'WTF?' moments from that.
                                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Terrific post, CS, and here I thought that anyone who confesses to living in Las Vegas would be busy playing the slots!
                                Never! Besides, I need the time to read Stargate & the money in case I ever save enough to attend a Creation con. (I'll be the guy who falls in a dead faint if brought face-to-face w. Amanda Tapping.)
                                As to everything else you said, Chopin Gal: Wo'rd! And so eloquent, too. Brava!
                                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                The writers did drop the ball on the whole Cassie arc beginning with that horrid line you quoted above in Heroes 2. The real Sam could never have said something like that. Again, perceptions! It just did not ring true to so many fans.
                                And it provided even more fuel for the SamHate that runs rampant on the Web. Many people have criticized that episode for making her seem Jack-fixated to the exclusion of all else ... and that line sure didn't help.
                                Originally posted by StrixVaria
                                It would have been very easy for TPTB to skimp on costumes for every ancient culture they ran across off-world. You know, a lot of those warmer ancient cultures didn't share our Puritanical/Victorian heebeegeebees about nudity, and the Goa'uld were certainly set up as sensual connoisseurs from the very beginning.
                                Oh, the Goa'uld were definitely into the shallow & the pretty. Big time. They were a decadent bunch (and never, ever dull). I wouldn't mind a few more tropical/primitive cultures on the show, but they generally did a pretty good job of avoiding gratuitous T&A ... at least until Anise came slutting through the Gate. Oy!
                                As for Sam's wardrobe, it seems to veer from the really suave to the dowdy w/o rhyme or reason. But, heck, you could put AT in a burlap sack & she'd still be a dazzler. Besides, I think she's damn sexy in full gear. Right on, Sam!
                                Originally posted by MajorSal
                                the only time i ever saw janet/daniel, and i mean *really* saw it, was in rite of passage, when they held hands a little too long in the hallway. that was shippy to me, without the usual ambiguousness that floats around shipping regulars on that show.
                                Oh yeah, that had 'shippy moment' writ large. It's not quite so obvious in Meridian but it became quite a different episode after I learned about the Janet/Daniel subtext, and the writer, director & editor seemed to be in on it. For one thing, there's an unusual amount of emphasis on Fraiser's reactions (providing a good excuse for beautiful & expressive close-ups of Teryl Rothery). There's also the monologue Fraiser has about being tempted to euthanize Daniel to spare him further suffering—very out of character for Janet.
                                (Interesting Sam-related footnote: As anguished as Sam is about Daniel's condition, it's Janet's anguish that motivates Sam to bust out the Goa'uld healing device; more testimony to the deep friendship between them.)
                                Originally posted by MajorSal
                                Teryl said that she was told there was a history between janet and jack, so she played it that way (watch how she caresses his face when he's saying he wants to be experimented on). but they seemed to drop it and never 'really' go back to actively portraying it.
                                Fascinating! As Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not knowthat." (Although I had a suspicion.) I guess the Jack/Janet shippers weren't wrong after all ...
                                As for Sam/Janet, there's nowhere near the amount of HoYay! that was in Xena, which played to its sizeable lesbian audience to the point where the femslash ceased to be subtext. Sam/Janet is predicated more on a look here, a touch there, a line or inflection somewhere else ... that & the remarkable AT/TR chemistry. You get electricity just by putting them in the same shot & occasionally that 'reads' as sexual tension. (Besides, Fraiser does seem to just gaze at Carter a lot.) Not only that, the two actresses have encouraged it via remarks they've made on the convention circuit & the Sam/Janet shippers are a loyal & important segment of the fanbase, just like the Sam/Jack and (I'm afraid so) Jack/Daniel ones. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a few little shippy moments insinuated into the show just for them. Which would be kinda sweet.
                                please excuse the ot, but what scene?
                                That strange Teal'c/Jonas scene takes place at the beginning of The Changeling. The fact that it took place in a men's room only further contributed to making it the gayest vignette in Stargate history, intentionally or not.
                                Sam's boyfriends/BWC victims are a curious lot. She was juggling Martouf and Narim for a while there, with Joe and Orlin in the mix, too. If we exclude fanboy stalkers like Fifth, her men seem to be either conveniently unavailable (Jack included) or low on the grading curve (Joe, Pete). Then there was that weird Jonas Hanson thing, where it was impossible to believe those two had ever even met before.
                                (Considering some of the dogs Carter's been paired with, even a non-slasher might have to admit that Fraiser looks awfully good.)
                                Sam certainly has a string of admirers from one end of the galaxy to the other, but can you blame them?
                                Shifting gears ...
                                Was Affinity the episode that paired Teal'c up with T'Pol? If so, 'nuff said. It just figures that a frigging Pete episode would get nominated instead of a solid genre hour like Lockdown or Zero Hour or Icon. The second half of S8 was pretty weak, but it ended well & Citizen Joe was a terrific example of what could be done with a clip show, IMO. Maybe Peter DeLuise has compromising photos of the Leo nominating committee.
                                ... at least they didn't nominate the script of P.U.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
                                Last edited by Carterslave; 26 April 2005, 01:58 AM.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Working...
                                X