Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    In terms of reading, I've never really been much of a Scifi fan. I've always preferred fantasy over science fiction. Part of the reason I enjoyed the premise of Stargate so much, was that it blended science fiction and mythology which I have always had an interest in. I think they have done a respectable job throughout the years in giving a plausible scifi twist to all the different mythological stories.

I also prefer stories where a female is the hero of the story or where the women in the story are very strong and independent. Unfortunately most of the fantasy novels I have read have been series; and although the characters start out wonderfully, after 7, 8, or 13 books the stories become so convoluted that the characters begin to lose their original appeal. Perhaps that's why I have not allowed myself to become so disenchanted by what has happened with Stargate, because I know from experience that even authors with the best intention seem to loose sight of their own character's after many years of writing. Anyone who's ever read the series 'The Wheel of Time' will understand what I am saying.

I'm not sure if one would call me a glutton or just a die-hard fan, but once I'm involved this deeply into something, I'm normally in it for the long haul. No matter what my feelings are at the end of the season, or at the end of the book I always find myself compelled to pick up where I left off with the next book or season. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcomes and other times I question why I wasted even a moment of my time and yet the cycle continues. It must be an illness or a chemical imbalance for someone to put themselves through so much grief inorder to find a glimpse of happiness, excitement, adventure, romance (whatever it is we are all looking for) through the eyes of a fictitious character. But whatever it is that causes me to continue to endure the lows, I do it of my own free will in the hopes that the good will eventually outweigh the bad.

Overall, I think Samantha Carter has been wonderfully written. Yes, the past two years have left me questioning the sanity of some of the writers, but I have to tell myself that 80% of what has been done with Sam's character I have thoroughly enjoyed. She has developed into a unique and captivating woman, who continues to entrance and inspire me after eight years. Her smile warms my darkest days, her tears rips through my soul, her intelligence leaves my mind reeling, her courage and loyalty touches my heart. She's had setbacks in her life, disappointments, and losses, but she never gives up. Never gives in. She struggles and fights and constantly pushes herself onward despite her fears. She is the woman I have always wished I could be... everything I hope my daughter will become.

I don't necessarily have a particular desire for Sam's storyline in season nine. My only desire is that she continue on the path that originally made me love, admire and respect her. Somewhere along the road Sam unfortunately lost her way, but I know she has the ability to find her way back home. Hopefully TPTB will truly listen and hear the cries of all of Sam's fans and give us back the character we have so dearly loved.

I have enjoyed reading all your ideas for Sam in season nine. I truly hope for our sake and AT's that some of them are added. She's done such a wonderful job with the storylines she has been given. I just really believe she and Sam deserve much more.

Kat

Truly brilliant post!

It says just about everything

So what can we talk about now?

Nice one Forever!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
      You're only overreacting to the extent of saying that we guys "are probably enjoying the eye candy." The hell I'm enjoying it! I'm probably about as steamed by this turn of events as anybody, not least b/c it plays into m/f stereotypes that Stargate normally does an excellent job of exploding. When you have to descend to the level of Andromeda for inspiration (and Vala sure looks like a refugee from that dreck) you probably have to use a submarine.
      As for Dr. Rommie hewing to "a basic lab coat" & sensible shoes, you're far more optimistic than I, who expects the worst. (And, judging by the hints of Cameron/Rommie shipping, I'm not wrong to do so.)
      Admittedly, a lot of people thought P.U. was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But, judging by the growing backlash re Vala/Dr. Rommie (and the very negative response to the downsizing of Ford on SG:A) I question whether TPTB know their audience as well as they think.

Like the LJ icon I use says, "Clone Janet."

It is great to read this Carterslave!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

sally

AT - So the series has been taken over by scantily dressed eye Candy - it's just not on is it Rick!

Rick - Errr no it's a terrible shame!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Here's another little Sam collage that I was playing with tonight.
          It's made especially for AstroG and everyone else who enjoys seeing
          Sam fly.

Give Me Wings

Kat

Fantastic picture as always Forever!

Comment

I have to say, I’ve never had a problem with the sleeveless tops. I wear them. And I have to stress that I don’t do it to try and look sexy. I find that they are very practical, especially in a country like Australia which can get pretty hot. Mind you, you can get a nasty sunburn very easily, as the shoulders seem to cop it all. Ok, so maybe they are not standard uniform, but Sg1 have saved the world so many times, maybe they’ve been given a little leeway.
            However, back when I first joined, I think I said something to the effect of that I didn’t mind sleeveless tops, but I hoped they wouldn’t take the clothing changes any further than that. Now while they haven’t done that yet for Sg1, they have for Vala, and the more I think about it, the more I hate it. Vala, her kind of character, her kind of clothes (urgh, black leather. I didn’t like the black leather Sam wore in the ‘unconspicuous I’m undercover’ operation in the NID ep, but it’s nothing in comparison to Vala’s) represents everything I hate about scifi.
            This said, those of you who disagree, I think you wrote brilliant posts about it. So brilliant they’ve inspired me to argue against you .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Thankyou everyone for your comments on fantasy/scifi books. Especially a superb long post by Kat. I have only read fantasy myself, and a number of books that people listed I have read.
              Meanwhile, fanfic. I don't know what to do. After everyone's discussion on slash, I want to take it very carefully. I don't know why I am so wary of fic. It's just... well, I haven't read lots like you guys, and when it comes to things like slash... lets just say, I don't want to go there. For you all it's probably a matter of 'oh, just another slash fic', but, I guess I don't want to spoil my image of Stargate. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if people write it, and I have nothing against it, I just don't want to read it.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                In Vancouver when I asked Martin Gero about the commentaries he said that they are not on the single disc because with 2 shows (SG-1 & Atlantis) and the early release dates overseas they just did not have time to get the commentaries ready but that they would be on box sets.

Thanks for these snippets. What they really mean of course is that they just want to maximise profits and hope people who have bough the singles without commentries will also buy the box set. If I waited just for the box set I would probably have to wait until next year as they have only just released season 7 box set. I think it is a disgraceful way to treat ardent fans who haven't got skye and thus can't watch the ep's. I'm furious and I won't be buying any box set. It speaks volumes about just where the direction of the showis going under the Sci Fi channel methinks and that is down the moral hill very very quickly!

Such a shame after the great work that has been done by everyone involved in the show up to season 7!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  or this is mgm's scam to try and get folks to buy two copies. the folks that can't wait and buy the single discs early are 'punished' for doing that and since the box sets will have commentaries on it will likely feel like they need to buy those as well
                  Maybe - However having a couple of friends that are movie producers I now that sometimes their movies have been released on DVD twice with the first release being just the basic movie and maybe a behind the scene or out-take footage - then 6months to a year later they release and second DVD with commentaries and other extras. This is due to the time it takes to get the commentaries done (the people on them are not always available when they want to start them due to other projects). I know that on Stargate the people that do the commentaries are not paid to do them so we are really luck we have gotten them on all the shows the last few years.
                  My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    AT - So the series has been taken over by scantily dressed eye Candy - it's just not on is it Rick!

Rick - Errr no it's a terrible shame!
                    LOL - I can just hear RDA's tone of voice on that one!

Comment

Maybe - However having a couple of friends that are movie producers I now that sometimes their movies have been released on DVD twice with the first release being just the basic movie and maybe a behind the scene or out-take footage - then 6months to a year later they release and second DVD with commentaries and other extras. This is due to the time it takes to get the commentaries done (the people on them are not always available when they want to start them due to other projects). I know that on Stargate the people that do the commentaries are not paid to do them so we are really luck we have gotten them on all the shows the last few years.

DON'T FORGET THEY HAVE ALSO REDUCED 4 EPS PER DVD TO 3 THIS IS JUST ABOUT PROFIT MAX. £20 PER dvd is a very high cost for such little benefit now. They should reduce the price of each dvd if the are going to include less material. Hoiwever they know people like me will not want to wait for the box set - it is taking advatage of a demand situation

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                        I have to say, I’ve never had a problem with the sleeveless tops. I wear them. And I have to stress that I don’t do it to try and look sexy. I find that they are very practical, especially in a country like Australia which can get pretty hot. Mind you, you can get a nasty sunburn very easily, as the shoulders seem to cop it all. Ok, so maybe they are not standard uniform, but Sg1 have saved the world so many times, maybe they’ve been given a little leeway.
                        However, back when I first joined, I think I said something to the effect of that I didn’t mind sleeveless tops, but I hoped they wouldn’t take the clothing changes any further than that. Now while they haven’t done that yet for Sg1, they have for Vala, and the more I think about it, the more I hate it. Vala, her kind of character, her kind of clothes (urgh, black leather. I didn’t like the black leather Sam wore in the ‘unconspicuous I’m undercover’ operation in the NID ep, but it’s nothing in comparison to Vala’s) represents everything I hate about scifi.
                        This said, those of you who disagree, I think you wrote brilliant posts about it. So brilliant they’ve inspired me to argue against you .
                        Great post, deepspace!

Comment

I know that on Stargate the people that do the commentaries are not paid to do them so we are really luck we have gotten them on all the shows the last few years.
                          Wow - it didn't occur to me that they were doing the commentaries for free! More kudos to AT for the commentaries that she did for us!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                            Yeah, saw the Vala picture Wasn't surprised, it was exactly what I expected.
                            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Coley just reached 200 posts!

So good to have you back online with us!

I was going to give you some Special Royal Blue Jello... but the Queen has been practicing with a Goa'uld Hand Device... and well..

Of course, it may not be the warping effect of a Goa'uld Hand Device... perhaps it is a sign that too much *special* blue jello has already been imbibed...

Oh, look, she went and got some more

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                                DON'T FORGET THEY HAVE ALSO REDUCED 4 EPS PER DVD TO 3 THIS IS JUST ABOUT PROFIT MAX. £20 PER dvd is a very high cost for such little benefit now. They should reduce the price of each dvd if the are going to include less material. Hoiwever they know people like me will not want to wait for the box set - it is taking advatage of a demand situation
                                Yes the guys I know also own their the company that puts their DVD's out and they have a lower price for the 1st release that is just the basic movie and then they charge more for the 2nd release with the extras.

In the US they can not release any of the Stargate DVD's until the first run and second run showing of each episode plays in a large enough market. That is one of the reasons we don't get the DVD releases until they put the box set out in the fall after the next season starts. Also due to some franchise issues the R1 sometimes have different extras than all the other regions.
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X