Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Great post, Strix! I still don't understand why everyone's against the sleeveless T's - I wonder if some fans were upset when some of the women wore those tank tops a few times in StarTrek Voyager? I wasn't aware of online fandoms at the time, so I don't know what the fan reaction was... I was OK with it though... actually thought they looked great. In the same show, however, was the 'scifi female costume' that really did bug me - 7of9's catsuit! The mindset that dresses a woman like that as everyday clothing (and she had to wear it 99% of the time) that bugs me.
    Yeah, the sleeveless T shirts seem pretty minor by comparision, don't they? I didn't mind them on the ship, but wondered how out of regulation they would be on the base. Then again, regular turtlenecks & t shirts without the green/blue shirt over them, may have been strictly out of bounds too, and they do that all the time.
    Maybe they should write in some justification for the tank tops--"we're having trouble with the environmental systems today. Tank tops and shorts will be the official uniform of the day." Hmm--not bad--we'd see Teal'c and Daniel lookin' good....

I remember AT saying that at first being in the uniforms was kind of liberating--not having to fuss about clothes, but after a while she kind of wanted to wear some girl clothes once in a while. So the earth bound episodes where the go off base give them all a chance for some variety.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      Yeah, the sleeveless T shirts seem pretty minor by comparision, don't they? I didn't mind them on the ship, but wondered how out of regulation they would be on the base. Then again, regular turtlenecks & t shirts without the green/blue shirt over them, may have been strictly out of bounds too, and they do that all the time.
      Maybe they should write in some justification for the tank tops--"we're having trouble with the environmental systems today. Tank tops and shorts will be the official uniform of the day." Hmm--not bad--we'd see Teal'c and Daniel lookin' good....
      Didn't AT say that they had to fight to get AC on the set? And then they 'lost it' to Atlantis? Maybe the actors were too hot in those full BDU's (which are made for outside)? Perhaps the actors cut the sleeves off those shirts themselves! Just kidding... but then I *can* kind of see MS and CJ doing it... cooling off....showing off those muscles... and if AT was too warm - then she should be allowed the same!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        the looks on their faces are so perfect for playing with captions, that i just had to do another take on this one.

sam: ".... beans for lunch again, sir?"

jack: *clears throat* "uh.... yeah.............. sorry."

sally
        Thank you, I really needed a good laugh today!!!!!!!! BTW, I had beans last night.....oooooooooops.
        Last edited by Lida; 25 April 2005, 09:30 AM. Reason: mis-typed-again
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          In Vancouver when I asked Martin Gero about the commentaries he said that they are not on the single disc because with 2 shows (SG-1 & Atlantis) and the early release dates overseas they just did not have time to get the commentaries ready but that they would be on box sets.

or this is mgm's scam to try and get folks to buy two copies. the folks that can't wait and buy the single discs early are 'punished' for doing that and since the box sets will have commentaries on it will likely feel like they need to buy those as well
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Astrog, here's what you referenced:

AMANDA TAPPING…ON THE RIVALRY BETWEEN STARGATE AND STARGATE ATLANTIS:

It's sort of weird. We film next door, and we barely see each other. We just know that whenever something goes wrong on our set, we blame Atlantis. So there's that sort of friendly rivalry. You know they got air conditioning, and we didn't. And we went, "Oh, I guess their show is coming back next year, they got the air conditioning " You know, we really had to kvetch a lot to get our air conditioning. Things like that. (laughs) That's terrible. But otherwise, it's all very friendly.
            Here's the actual quote on the air conditioning. Looks like SGA got it first, and SG-1 had to raise some heck to get theirs. I agree with her: it is terrible! Were it not for the parent, there would be no child!

Comment

Great post, Strix! I still don't understand why everyone's against the sleeveless T's - I wonder if some fans were upset when some of the women wore those tank tops a few times in StarTrek Voyager? I wasn't aware of online fandoms at the time, so I don't know what the fan reaction was... I was OK with it though... actually thought they looked great. In the same show, however, was the 'scifi female costume' that really did bug me - 7of9's catsuit! The mindset that dresses a woman like that as everyday clothing (and she had to wear it 99% of the time) that bugs me.

Vala's costume seems so far from the sleeveless T's... Vala's costume just screams 'sex is a powerful weapon and this woman wields it with a knowing and strong hand'... ugh!

So... I have to admit that I started thinking a bit selfishly last night - what I mean is, maybe if Stargate's PTB are getting pressure to appeal to 'certain demographics'... then maybe we are really lucky that the Vala character will 'bear this load'... so that AT won't be pressured to. As some of you have stated, it's possible that AT would just say - thanks, but no thanks and quietly work out the rest of her contract and then leave. So, I know that I'm being selfish here, but if Vala's costume keeps 'that kind of costume pressure' off of AT and Sam... ?
              I don't think most of us were really upset by the idea of sleeveless T-shirts. I for one truly enjoyed the eye candy on the screen. I mean you have to admit, they all have gorgeous bodies and showing off their well-defined arms isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think more than anything it has to do with many of the other issues we have had with the show recently, in that what the writers have choosen to given us hasn't always been done in the proper context or at the proper time. In Beneath the Surface, I didn't have an issue with scantily clad men and women, because obviously this was a very hot and sweaty environment. This would have been a perfect episode to see Sam and the others decked out in sleeveless t-shirts( we did get to see MS and CJ), instead they dressed Sam in big bulky pajamas.

It's not a matter of the attire in itself being inappropriate, it's a matter of when and where they choose to wear it. If we are talking about a scene in the gym...then yes by all means I'ma all for sleeveless shirts. I'd even enjoy seeing our team in shorts...I have to admit I'm more of a leg gal myself. I didn't mind seeing Sam or Teal'c wearing the sleeveless T's on the gou'ald cargo ship. I mean it was just the two of them, it's was like taking a long car trip...you wanna be as comfortable as possible, right?

Now granted I've read interviews with AT where she's commented that the briefing room is on the third floor of the studios and it tends to get very hot in there and perhaps this was a compromise between the actors/producters in order to deal with the extremely heat. If this is the case, then I guess I can understand the reasoning, but in terms of it being working attire on a AFB, I think it's highly inappropriate.

Kat
              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 25 April 2005, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                there is nothing wrong with flexing your fanfic wings. in fact, i would like to encourage each and every writer to try something different. Always written sam fic, try crawling into daniel's head. or jack's or teal'c's

who knows, you might find a nitch that fits you. I never dreamed of writing teal'c fic until i was challenged one day and i did and i have a sporatic series of teal'c fic that i play with and i enjoy writing him.

some of the writers whose work i enjoy the most have branched out. they try different things, and there's nothing at all wrong with that

a writer finds his/her voice through experimentation so please, keep playing around.
                Yes, different strokes for different folks and don't be afraid to get in there and mix it around! I've only done Sam and Walter so far ... but will take your advice at a later date.

Talk about spreading our wings for fanfic, here's a thought. We've all had plenty to say about the lack of female writers on the show. But how well do female writers write Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c fanfic?

How hard is it to get inside the head of one of the guys and write from their perspective? Aha! Sky took it up as a challenge and then found that she liked seeing the world through Teal'c's eyes. And I had a tiny bit of fun with Walter, the lowly technician. So maybe it will be fun to stretch ourselves and go outside the familiar every now and then.

But, I still have a date with my Muse on at least one more Samcentric fic - she refuses to let me go out to play with the boys until I do so!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  I still have a date with my Muse on at least one more Samcentric fic
                  Am really looking forward to that new Samfic, ChopinGal!

Comment

Am really looking forward to that new Samfic, ChopinGal!
                    Well I think I'll just leave the fanfic to others, because my muse just doesn't seem to want to wake up for me.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      or this is mgm's scam to try and get folks to buy two copies. the folks that can't wait and buy the single discs early are 'punished' for doing that and since the box sets will have commentaries on it will likely feel like they need to buy those as well
                      I'm surprised the shops don't operate an exchange system. Single DVDs + small amount of cash for box sets.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        I'm starting to run out of Sam Whumping stories, so I'm including my own in this batch. I still need to get all of Skydiver's stories, and few other authors so there will be at least one more post.

A Second Chance by Sally Reeve
                        http://uk.geocities.com/mystories_uk/secondpt1.html

Breathe by Magicsunbeam
                        http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/31/breathe.html

Old Debts (series) by Majelb
                        http://www.angelfire.com/az3/majelita/Olddebtsindex.htm

Where Do We Go from Here by Aligater
                        http://www.stargatesg1971.com/fanfic...ofromhere.html

Bound and Broken by Jackiwi
                        http://www.stargatesg1971.com/fanfic...andbroken.html

Mistrust by Scully
                        http://www.stargatesg1971.com/fanfiction/mistrust.html
                        (over 18)

Looking Up by Strix varia
                        http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/lookingup.htm
                        (over 18)

The Knife’s Edge of Madness by Strix varia
                        http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/knife.htm

Surviving by Strix varia
                        http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/surviving.htm
                        (over 18)

Many thanks for these Strix!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          I have to agree with Coley. I saw the Other Guys as nothing more than a stand alone comedy episode that they do every year. Every year they put out one comedy episode and one clip show. In both cases, they are typically either an earth based episode or one with little to no special effects in order to try to keep costs down. We've just been lucky over the years that some of these stories have been much better than others and thus much more entertaining. I'm not positive if the following were indeed the comedy and clip shows for each season, but these are my opinion.
                          Nice summary Forever!

Ooops! managed to miss out your summary! sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            I have to agree with Coley. I saw the Other Guys as nothing more than a stand alone comedy episode that they do every year. Every year they put out one comedy episode and one clip show. In both cases, they are typically either an earth based episode or one with little to no special effects in order to try to keep costs down. We've just been lucky over the years that some of these stories have been much better than others and thus much more entertaining. I'm not positive if the following were indeed the comedy and clip shows for each season, but these are my opinion.

Season 1
                            Tin Man
                            Politics

Season 2
                            Out of Mind

Season 3
                            Urgo
                            Legacy

Season 4
                            Window of Opportunity
                            Divide and Conquer

Season 5
                            Wormhole Extreme
                            Threshold

Season 6
                            The Other Guys
                            Disclosure

Season 7
                            Avenger 2.0
                            Inauguration

Season 8
                            Prometheus Unbound
                            Citizen Joe
                            Errrr Great summary Forever!!!

Comment

Deepspace - many thanks for noticing I am back!

Astro - tonnes of spiked jello to you for posting my Sam Summary amd Yes to whoever mentioned we should get this stuff printed bound and sent to AT somehow. I'm sure she would be thrilled. Could we do it as an e publication complete with captures and sound clips?

NC Dialogue clips are a great addition. Must connect my speakers up and go back to them!

Uber - fantastic posr regarding Sam season 9 - you covered just about everything!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Talk about spreading our wings for fanfic, here's a thought. We've all had plenty to say about the lack of female writers on the show. But how well do female writers write Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c fanfic?

about all fanfic writers are female. as to how well they write the characters.....that's open to interpretation. i've seen some authors who i think do a horrible job be praised because they do strike a chord with other fans. jsut because i don't like it doesn't make it bad, it just makes it not a fic for me to read
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X