Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Here's another little Sam collage that I was playing with tonight.
    It's made especially for AstroG and everyone else who enjoys seeing
    Sam fly.

Give Me Wings

Kat
    Another professional creation! I'm so envious...

Comment

What episodes throughout the series does AT do the audio commentaries for? I know of two right now, Ascension and Avenger 2.0...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        What episodes throughout the series does AT do the audio commentaries for? I know of two right now, Ascension and Avenger 2.0...
        Ascension, Red Sky, Avenger 2.0, Evolution Pt2, Death Knell, Ressurection, Lost City
        I'm pretty sure thats all of em

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Um, sg-1fanintn, my comments were made with tongue very firmly in cheek. I happen to enjoy Sam/Janet slash, but I agree that it is not canon. ... Personally, I am not offended or otherwise disturbed by discussion (or portrayal) of slash pairings, even if they aren't canon. I am sorry if you are. As for me casting Sam as a lesbian, that's a matter of wishful thinking on my part.
          Yes, just b/c we see something doesn't mean it's there ... and just b/c we don't see something doesn't mean it isn't, either. For instance, Michael Shanks & Teryl Rothery have 'fessed up to putting Daniel/Janet shippy moments in for fans of those characters (including some liplock that got trimmed from 2010) & I can cite scenes in Rite of Passage & Meridian that bear this out.
          You can find some quasi-shippy flutters between Sam & Daniel in S1. Seems TPTB were toying with making S/D The Big Ship but thought better of it (he *is* married, after all) & gravitated to S/J.
          Likewise, the controversial (but popular) Jack/Daniel pairing is alluded to in the performances—and even in a DVD commentary that refers to UST between the characters. (I'm not asking you to buy into it, but the J/D shippers aren't entirely imagining it, either.) There are a few flirty Fraiser/O'Neill moments that may or may not have been meant for the J/J shippers. Even the Sam/Janet shippers seemed to get a very occasional shout-out. It's all part of the fun & it keeps the fandom happy.
          (There was even a Teal'c/Jonas scene where I thought they were going to fall into each other's arms. I'm sure they didn't mean it to be sexually charged but it came off that way, IMO. Surprised the hell outta me, 'cause I certainly wasn't expecting that—or looking for it. [I didn't even know about the Jack/Daniel mythology at that point.])

As for the Sam/Janet shippers themselves, there are a lot of them & most are women (& some are my friends). They'd probably find the notion that they're subscribing to male-chauvinist thinking rather insulting. The conceit that Sam would flip for an oaf like Pete strikes me as more of a male fantasy than is pairing her with someone sensitive, supportive & caring ... whether that happens to be Martouf or Narim or Janet.
          Personally, I'm crazy for Carter (see my screen name) but I find the idea of a Carter/Fraiser pairing very beautiful & romantic, so I ship it. Like I said before, I always try to stump for it with tongue in cheek b/c I also try to respect other people's point of view. And I've lobbied in GW on behalf of S/J and Janet/Daniel shippers, so I guess you could say I'm an ecumenical fellow. (But I draw the line at interspecies sex, like Janet/Heimdall [and I'm not making that fanfic pairing up!] ... or Sam/Pete.)

Less controversially ... I'm pleased as punch to see that the criminally neglected Cassandra storyline has a champion in Amanda. TPTB dropped Cassie like a hot potato & in a way that reflected poorly on Sam (the now-infamous "Cassie's a tough kid. She'll survive"). Carter was made to look heartless while two important characters (Janet & Cassandra) were erased from SG-1's institutional memory in one fell swoop.
          As for "interpersonal relationships," I hope AT means Jacob, Mark, Cassie, Janet—Sam's ad hoc family, as opposed to yet another boyfriend (unless they can get Sean Patrick Flannery to reprise Kurt Cobain ... I mean Orlin). After all, AT has already complained in print about TPTB's inclination to define Sam through her love life—at least four different romantic interests in S5 alone.
          That said, the Black Widow's had a lot of death to cope with & it's rarely treated as something with lingering consequences, much as AT tries to pull in that direction. And I'd rather see Sam quarrel with McKay right now than make doe eyes at anyone ... not even Jack. Science, yes; soldiering, definitely; shipping ... nah.

The Leo nomination is good news, even though I wish it was for Moebius. Comedy rarely gets the kudos it deserves and, as good as these actors are at drama, they're even better at being funny. NerdCarter was an utter delight & I wish she'd get some props ... especially after her boss stole all her theories on spinwave technology.
          Last edited by Carterslave; 25 April 2005, 01:02 AM.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
            The Leo nomination is good news, even though I wish it was for Moebius. Comedy rarely gets the kudos it deserves and, as good as these actors are at drama, they're even better at being funny. NerdCarter was an utter delight & I wish she'd get some props ... especially after her boss stole all her theories on spinwave technology.
            Interesting observation. This also seems to be a criticism of the Oscar nominations - comedy is ignored to a great extent. Many entertainment critics seem to think comedy is more difficult to pull off than drama.

Do our local Thespians have thoughts on this?

Comment

Here are some images and sounds from the director's special on Avenger. The first pictures of Amanda are when she's standing outside Felger's door and she's asked about Sam's relationship with Felger. (you're right Kat, Amanda has a great giggle and an infectious smile!)

The second set of pictures show Martin Wood demonstrating how Felger should kiss Sam. I loved the look on Amanda's face when Martin says "When you kiss Amanda...," and then she bails before Martin can finish the kiss.

click here to listen

click here to listen

NC

Comment

i can see what the femslashers see. in fact, iirc, rite of passage is referred to as 'the eps where cassie gets two mommies' or something like that.

of course, after years of wathing the j/d, s&j crowds turn the smallest little exchange into 'proof positive' it only reaffirms my belief that folks see what they want to see. and there's nothing wrong with any of it

usually my one issue with ship or slash pairings is, to make it work, often the characters are warped a bit. in s&j, jack is this huge closet romantic who just thinks he's not worthy of washing sam's feet. and sam is this emotionally messed up woman who's about as strong as a wet washcloth.

in slash, daniel is often this 98 pound weakling, adored by everyone, but who ignore him and take him for granted until he's selflessly injured, then tehy all see the errors of thier ways and it's a mass infirmary vigil around thier 'widdle spacemonkey'

and jack is often super romanticized in slash too. i think there's even a fic or two where he serenades daniel

anyway, not all ship/slash fic have bad characterizations. some are very true to the characters.

but, for me, the bad characterizations are often what turns me off of some fic. I personally have found sam/jack ship authors who write them the closest to how i see the characters on the show, so it's the easiest for me to read.

i would LOVE to read some nice gen sam fic. the 'problem' is, most of the 'gen' writers focus on daniel or jack. pitifully few of them use sam as thier focus so if i want my fix of sam, i'm probably going to have to read a ship fic because, for the most part, the sam/jack crowd are the only ones who write the character in anything but a supporting role
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                  Interesting observation. This also seems to be a criticism of the Oscar nominations - comedy is ignored to a great extent. Many entertainment critics seem to think comedy is more difficult to pull off than drama.

Do our local Thespians have thoughts on this?

i'm not a thespian but the blatant favoritism of the oscars have, to me, turned the award into nothing more than a political contest. IMHO, it's a minor miracle that Lord of the Rings got acknowledged, and i think it did only because the academy knew if they snubbed it people would consider that 'proof' that they were a bunch of snobs

in all honesty, best movie isn't always the biggest grossing. I personaly found Dante's Peak a far superior movie to Volcano (both came out the same year, both had the plot of a volcano eruption on the west coast. one was a block buster the other a sleeper). Just as i found Sudden Impact a far better movie to Armageddon.

however, in the case of Armageddon and Volcano, both had better marketing and a flashier appeal, so they got the money while the other 'better', movies got ignored

Just like how Shawshank Redemption got ignored because it came out the same time as Jurassic Park

IMHO, the oscars is nothing more than a popularity contest and a marketing contest and really has no real representation of which movie is better than another. it's all in perception and the image that hollywood wants to put forth.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Right,
                    I've not had chance to catch up with all the post from last night - but I just had to log on from work for a rant.

Volume 40 rip off alert!!

ONLY 3 EPISODES on the disc - Sacrifices, Endgame, PU.

NO AUDIO COMMENTRIES

EXTRAS? The making of a supa soldier, (the on topic bit) Convention experience with AT, Convention experience with MS - and thats the lot really apart from prod des and trailers

OH AND IT IS THE SAME INFLATED RIP OFF PRICE. I'M SO DISGUSTED WITH MGM!!!!

OK Rant over

will join you in a more relaxed mood tonight!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      i would LOVE to read some nice gen sam fic. the 'problem' is, most of the 'gen' writers focus on daniel or jack. pitifully few of them use sam as thier focus so if i want my fix of sam, i'm probably going to have to read a ship fic because, for the most part, the sam/jack crowd are the only ones who write the character in anything but a supporting role
                      YES!!!!
                      I have the exact same problem, which is why I absolutely adore your fic Sky, as well as some of the other fic writers we have here in our thread.

Hell, I'll even read about Sam gardening her flowers if it's a Sam focused gen fic!

Maybe with RDA gone for season9, some of the s/j fic writers will turn their attention elsewhere for a piece or two? /me hopes

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                        Right,
                        I've not had chance to catch up with all the post from last night - but I just had to log on from work for a rant.

Volume 40 rip off alert!!

ONLY 3 EPISODES on the disc - Sacrifices, Endgame, PU.

NO AUDIO COMMENTRIES

EXTRAS? The making of a supa soldier, (the on topic bit) Convention experience with AT, Convention experience with MS - and thats the lot really apart from prod des and trailers

OH AND IT IS THE SAME INFLATED RIP OFF PRICE. I'M SO DISGUSTED WITH MGM!!!!

OK Rant over

will join you in a more relaxed mood tonight!!
                        Yeah apparently the boxsets will have the commentaries and other features though (at least thats what I recall someone saying on these forums, from the recent convention).
                        Which I dont mind, because I go for the boxsets anyway. Although the Region 4's might be different...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

... my belief that folks see what they want to see. and there's nothing wrong with any of it

usually my one issue with ship or slash pairings is, to make it work, often the characters are warped a bit.

... anyway, not all ship/slash fic have bad characterizations. some are very true to the characters.

but, for me, the bad characterizations are often what turns me off of some fic. I personally have found sam/jack ship authors who write them the closest to how i see the characters on the show, so it's the easiest for me to read.

Hang tight ... I am wrapping up Head Trip in the next two weeks or so, and I do have an idea for a Samfic without the ship, especially for Agent Dark (who has been a good sport about reading my first attempt but who is not really a S/J shipper).

I really think there is an interest among the fans to just see Sam being Sam - without a need to attach her to any other character. Yes, she will be relational to the others in the story but the story will reveal more of her own thoughts and behavior. Yeah, like what we've been doing here all along - discussing what makes Sam tick?

For now, though, you'll have to bear with me as I continue to master the newly found art of Fanfic 101. I stand in awe of all you veteran writers (to name a few: Astro, Sky, TH, Strix, MS, Uber) who have the talent and found the time to turn out pages and pages of copy and tons of excellent stories. It boggles my mind now that I have jumped into the pool with you and see how challenging it can be! It took me seven hours yesterday to produce just a couple pages of script for my latest chapter. And I was wrung out after it. I guess we should start a new thread for this - sorry to be going OT here.

Getting back to Sky's great post: the need for well written Samfic - stories that seem to ring true to the character as portrayed onscreen without the baggage of ship/romance. Aha! Who doesn't love it but there is more to life.

You heard Commander Sky: listen up - we've got our marching orders! Get out there and produce!!!

Oh, and unashamedly, if you want to jump into the pool with me and read about Sam's darker side and whumpage in progress and soldier Sam ... then I hope you do check out www.fanfiction.net/~chopingal and enjoy Head Trip! If the non-shippers can open their minds to the overall adventure, then please join us. It's not all kissy-face ... in fact, it really doesn't even do that.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                            Here are some images and sounds from the director's special on Avenger. The first pictures of Amanda are when she's standing outside Felger's door and she's asked about Sam's relationship with Felger. (you're right Kat, Amanda has a great giggle and an infectious smile!)

The second set of pictures show Martin Wood demonstrating how Felger should kiss Sam. I loved the look on Amanda's face when Martin says "When you kiss Amanda...," and then she bails before Martin can finish the kiss.

click here to listen

click here to listen

NC
                            WOO NC!!!! You rock!!! I love this part of the commentary. hehe.
                            I'm so happy you put the pics and audio together on here.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                              Yes, just b/c we see something doesn't mean it's there ... and just b/c we don't see something doesn't mean it isn't, either. For instance, Michael Shanks & Teryl Rothery have 'fessed up to putting Daniel/Janet shippy moments in for fans of those characters (including some liplock that got trimmed from 2010) & I can cite scenes in Rite of Passage & Meridian that bear this out.
                              You can find some quasi-shippy flutters between Sam & Daniel in S1. Seems TPTB were toying with making S/D The Big Ship but thought better of it (he *is* married, after all) & gravitated to S/J.
                              Likewise, the controversial (but popular) Jack/Daniel pairing is alluded to in the performances—and even in a DVD commentary that refers to UST between the characters. (I'm not asking you to buy into it, but the J/D shippers aren't entirely imagining it, either.) There are a few flirty Fraiser/O'Neill moments that may or may not have been meant for the J/J shippers. Even the Sam/Janet shippers seemed to get a very occasional shout-out. It's all part of the fun & it keeps the fandom happy.
                              (There was even a Teal'c/Jonas scene where I thought they were going to fall into each other's arms. I'm sure they didn't mean it to be sexually charged but it came off that way, IMO. Surprised the hell outta me, 'cause I certainly wasn't expecting that—or looking for it. [I didn't even know about the Jack/Daniel mythology at that point.])

As for the Sam/Janet shippers themselves, there are a lot of them & most are women (& some are my friends). They'd probably find the notion that they're subscribing to male-chauvinist thinking rather insulting. The conceit that Sam would flip for an oaf like Pete strikes me as more of a male fantasy than is pairing her with someone sensitive, supportive & caring ... whether that happens to be Martouf or Narim or Janet.
                              Personally, I'm crazy for Carter (see my screen name) but I find the idea of a Carter/Fraiser pairing very beautiful & romantic, so I ship it. Like I said before, I always try to stump for it with tongue in cheek b/c I also try to respect other people's point of view. And I've lobbied in GW on behalf of S/J and Janet/Daniel shippers, so I guess you could say I'm an ecumenical fellow. (But I draw the line at interspecies sex, like Janet/Heimdall [and I'm not making that fanfic pairing up!] ... or Sam/Pete.)

Less controversially ... I'm pleased as punch to see that the criminally neglected Cassandra storyline has a champion in Amanda. TPTB dropped Cassie like a hot potato & in a way that reflected poorly on Sam (the now-infamous "Cassie's a tough kid. She'll survive"). Carter was made to look heartless while two important characters (Janet & Cassandra) were erased from SG-1's institutional memory in one fell swoop.
                              As for "interpersonal relationships," I hope AT means Jacob, Mark, Cassie, Janet—Sam's ad hoc family, as opposed to yet another boyfriend (unless they can get Sean Patrick Flannery to reprise Kurt Cobain ... I mean Orlin). After all, AT has already complained in print about TPTB's inclination to define Sam through her love life—at least four different romantic interests in S5 alone.

That said, the Black Widow's had a lot of death to cope with & it's rarely treated as something with lingering consequences, much as AT tries to pull in that direction. And I'd rather see Sam quarrel with McKay right now than make doe eyes at anyone ... not even Jack. Science, yes; soldiering, definitely; shipping ... nah.

Terrific post, CS, and here I thought that anyone who confesses to living in Las Vegas would be busy playing the slots!

Yes, perception is the lens to reality. What we see and how we internalize it, using our own past experiences and belief systems and cultural norms as reference points, creates the picture of life that we paint. You brought up some great points in that, of course, the writers and the actors, themselves, are going to be aware of all the many variations of relationships that have been suggested, and there will be times when subtle and not-so-subtle hints will be offered. I can watch the same scene with you and we both will take/find what we need from the performance, and our perceptions may be completely at odds with each other. I'm thinking of that old cliche (sorry, O'Neill) but "beauty (really) is in the eye of the beholder." And if I want to become philosophical, there is a Latin saying: "everything is received in the manner of the one receiving." That's why we need to be tolerant of other's views or inclinations. We're all doing the best we can with whatever baggage we're dragging along through life.

And, yes, more of Sam as soldier, scientist, and a relational human being who thinks about what has happened in her life. One of the signs of human development is the ability to connect and to separate. A child must learn to let go of his/her attachment to the caregiver in order to grow; adults must learn to let go of their children in order for them to grow. Maturity comes with the wisdom of knowing when to let go. Gosh, didn't Jacob talk about letting go in Grace? Just thought of that. The writers were on to something there ... but not quite where I'm going. OT, there is a very wise book called Necessary Losses by Judith Viorst. All our 40-something birthday people - you are at a stage in your life where this book may speak to you. Treat yourselves to a copy for your birthdays.

The writers did drop the ball on the whole Cassie arc beginning with that horrid line you quoted above in Heroes 2. The real Sam could never have said something like that. Again, perceptions! It just did not ring true to so many fans. AT is right in wanting to bring back Cassie - unfinished business for S9. And dealing with all her necessary losses could provide an episode that will later merit another Leo for Amanda.

Your line about the interspecies sex had me ROTFLOL ... poor Pete!

Peace, and descending from my soapbox ... right now. CG
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 25 April 2005, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Okay - I've got a question and it's WAY OT...but I could really use your help on this.

I just got in Season 5 on DVD. All the DVDs work fine on my computer, except the 3rd one, where absolutely nothing happens...it's as though the disk is blank...but then when I put in into a regular DVD player, it works fine.

Does any of you know what's happening here and what I can do to fix it? The DVD in question is the one that has Between Two Fires, 2001, Desperate Measures and Wormhole Extreme!, 3 of which are very Sam heavy and I really want to get some screen caps from them...
                                Über... that's definitely weird... Mine worked fine on my computer.... I suggest taking the DVD to another computer that has a DVD read drive and seeing if it works...

Comment

Working...
                                X