No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a friend of mine, who watches atlantis and knows i'm a huge sam fan, told me some things last night that might shed a light on where sam 'isn't' next season. it'll just be easier to c/p my friend's post, because i'm not a viewer of atlantis and will prob screw up the info.

~~~

spoilers for atlantis season 1 ender AND season 2 premier, and sg1's season 8 ender AND season 9 premier +

"The other thing is from the German site that talks about the Siege Part III
    which is the Atlantis S2 opener. I won't bore you with the details, but as I explained in the last email, the Wraith are descending on Atlantis, and the only line of defense they have from the air is the Daedalus. According to the spoilers on Siege III, the ship is actively involved in the action in that ep,
    and it gets badly damaged in battle and is left floating in the Pegasus
    galaxy after the Wraith leave Atlantis at the end of the ep (I don't know how/why the Wraith leave, but it's not part of the point of this story).

Well, if the Daedalus is being used in that ep, then Sam can't be there working on it. She's not in the Pegasus galaxy at the end of S1 during "The Siege" so she's not there in the beginning of S2 either. So, while she may be recruited to go and work on it after it's damaged in eps 2-5 (before she starts SG-1 in ep 6), she's not there in the Atlantis ep one, nor is she on SG-1. SO, my point is that I'm not sure all hope is lost in terms of why she left the SGC
    to begin with and where she is when the season first starts out... "

~~~

so, what do you guys think? is she onto something here?

also, last night, i was reading on the amanda tapping forum (off her website), and a shipper said she thought sam was transferred to the alpha site at the beginning of the season. now, it wasn't stated where she got this info (or was guessing), but...

ideas? opinions? money for sally.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Wait till you see the pictorial version a page or two later!

As for what I want for Sam in Season 9, well all I can do is summarize everything I've been saying on this thread...and as far as I'm concerned, this would be the list I'd forward to TPTB.

Mary Beth's (ÜberSG-1Fan) Ideal Sam for Season 9

Sam as Soldier...I want to see Sam be the kickbutt, no holds barred team leader of SG-1. I love seeing how cool she is under pressure, like in Avenger 2.0 or Zero Hour.

Sam as Scientist...I want to see her solve really difficult situations that seem impossible at first. Too many examples to post here...the most obvious one is Matter of Time. But that's just one of many, many examples, and we haven't had much of this lately.

Sam as the Explorer...Without RDA around, we'll have more of a chance to see SG-1 go offworld. So, I want to see Sam going to other worlds, finding and using cool technology...and perhaps being bitten back by that technology, like in Message in a Bottle.

Sam as the Final Word...Sure, she turned on the gadget that (supposedly) eliminated all replicators in this galaxy. But what about the rest of the universe? And what about Repli Carter, who I still say was beamed away in Reckoning 2??? I want Sam to go head to head and hand to hand with Repli Carter and kick her butt.

Sam as a Woman...I want some hint that there's progression in her feelings and relationship with Jack. And as much as I loved Threads, I don't think we need whole episodes dedicated to the topic anymore, just a mention here and there or a phone call now and then. I think Threads did a great job sewing up the S/J story to some extent (Get it? THREADS? SEW??? Man, I kill me sometimes). Now, I know we weren't supposed to mention ship, but IMHO it is an aspect of her life and they did just spend tons of time on it...so it would be completely bizarre for them to drop the topic like a hot potato and out of character for Sam to not even mention it.

Sam the Pilot...I thought her flying the X-302 in Covenant was just awesome. I mean, before hand, she'd always ride second seat to O'Neill. It was sweet to see her at the controls. Who knew she could fly like that???

Sam as a Mistake Maker...I want to see her make big mistakes and regret them...Gemini is a great example here.

Sam as a Mother...I want to see more of Sam with Cassie and how their interactions are affected with Janet gone. So she picked her up for Janet's memorial...then what?

Sam as Lost/Hurt...I love any eps where Sam is in dire straights...Solitudes, Death Knell...and is left to her own devices until her friends arrive and rescue her. This leads into...

Sam as Houdini...I'd love to see her get captured and escape from an impossible scenario without outside assistance.

Sam as Former Host to Jolinar...I want to see more payoff as to the benefits of hosting the Tok'ra Jolinar, including using Goa'uld weapons and technology and perhaps also keying in on some Jolinar memories.

Sam as the Rescuer...I want to see a scenario where someone is taken hostage and Sam and SG-1 is sent in to rescue them (I'll actually be working on a fic along those lines, btw).

Sam as the One Left Behind...I want to see more of how Sam is dealing with the losses in her life, from Janet to her father.

Sam as the Sister/Aunt...I've only seen Mark once. Wouldn't it be nice if we heard his name or maybe even saw him again? (Okay, he was briefly mentioned in Threads).

Sam as the Encouraging Friend...I want to see situations where the others are going through a difficult situation and Sam is there to provide emotional support. Teal'c would be great here...he's been such a friend to her and so supportive and their relationship has really grown the last few seasons. What if the tables were turned and he needed her emotional support?

Sam as the Decision Maker...I want Sam to make a major decision with huge ramifications that no one else agrees with, but they BACK HER DECISION because they trust her...and she turns out to be right.

Sam as the Snark-Master...She did it great snarky bits in It's Good to be King and I want to see MORE SNARK!!! I demand it.

*Fantastic* list Uber! I downloaded and archived it into the growing Sam in Season 9 list! Love your choices!
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 April 2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        OK, I'd like to propose a new poll - one just for our thread....
        (hopefully this will be a positive discussion to fend off some of our fears)

How about if we each post
        A List of Things That We'd Like To See for Sam in Season 9?

The rules would be that we have to try and stay 'in canon', 'in character' and with what we think the show might/could actually do. Erm, and in the interest of non-contention, we stay away from any romantic ideas or suggestions.
        LOVE your ideas!, and i'm going to go with some of them for my own list.

* sam in charge. i want to see her handle an entire mission that really makes her show her stuff to other sg teams (daniel and teal'c already know what she's made of), but also to herself. i'd like to see whatever lingering doubts she might have in her abilities to command be lost with this 'succussful' but trying mission.

* sam using her tok'ra abilities.

* let us see how sam's doing with cassie. let us see how cassie's doing for that matter.

* sam handling another situation where she's put under extreme pain of either torture or injury.

* sam dealing with replicarter again.

* replicarter not being dead, and being able to live a life. (i'm adding rc because i feel she 'is' sam - just a reflection, albeit a dark one.)

i know you suggested staying away from the 'hot topic' of romance, but it's on my wishlist with the above, and it's 'in canon' for her character.

* sam in a relationship with jack. wherever they can go ( or suggest/hint), i'll take.

that's my as-for-the-moment wishlist, which might change in a few minutes.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Wait till you see the pictorial version a page or two later!

As for what I want for Sam in Season 9, well all I can do is summarize everything I've been saying on this thread...and as far as I'm concerned, this would be the list I'd forward to TPTB.

Mary Beth's (ÜberSG-1Fan) Ideal Sam for Season 9

Sam as Soldier...I want to see Sam be the kickbutt, no holds barred team leader of SG-1. I love seeing how cool she is under pressure, like in Avenger 2.0 or Zero Hour.

Sam as Scientist...I want to see her solve really difficult situations that seem impossible at first. Too many examples to post here...the most obvious one is Matter of Time. But that's just one of many, many examples, and we haven't had much of this lately.

Sam as the Explorer...Without RDA around, we'll have more of a chance to see SG-1 go offworld. So, I want to see Sam going to other worlds, finding and using cool technology...and perhaps being bitten back by that technology, like in Message in a Bottle.

Sam as the Final Word...Sure, she turned on the gadget that (supposedly) eliminated all replicators in this galaxy. But what about the rest of the universe? And what about Repli Carter, who I still say was beamed away in Reckoning 2??? I want Sam to go head to head and hand to hand with Repli Carter and kick her butt.

Sam as a Woman...I want some hint that there's progression in her feelings and relationship with Jack. And as much as I loved Threads, I don't think we need whole episodes dedicated to the topic anymore, just a mention here and there or a phone call now and then. I think Threads did a great job sewing up the S/J story to some extent (Get it? THREADS? SEW??? Man, I kill me sometimes). Now, I know we weren't supposed to mention ship, but IMHO it is an aspect of her life and they did just spend tons of time on it...so it would be completely bizarre for them to drop the topic like a hot potato and out of character for Sam to not even mention it.

Sam the Pilot...I thought her flying the X-302 in Covenant was just awesome. I mean, before hand, she'd always ride second seat to O'Neill. It was sweet to see her at the controls. Who knew she could fly like that???

Sam as a Mistake Maker...I want to see her make big mistakes and regret them...Gemini is a great example here.

Sam as a Mother...I want to see more of Sam with Cassie and how their interactions are affected with Janet gone. So she picked her up for Janet's memorial...then what?

Sam as Lost/Hurt...I love any eps where Sam is in dire straights...Solitudes, Death Knell...and is left to her own devices until her friends arrive and rescue her. This leads into...

Sam as Houdini...I'd love to see her get captured and escape from an impossible scenario without outside assistance.

Sam as Former Host to Jolinar...I want to see more payoff as to the benefits of hosting the Tok'ra Jolinar, including using Goa'uld weapons and technology and perhaps also keying in on some Jolinar memories.

Sam as the Rescuer...I want to see a scenario where someone is taken hostage and Sam and SG-1 is sent in to rescue them (I'll actually be working on a fic along those lines, btw).

Sam as the One Left Behind...I want to see more of how Sam is dealing with the losses in her life, from Janet to her father.

Sam as the Sister/Aunt...I've only seen Mark once. Wouldn't it be nice if we heard his name or maybe even saw him again? (Okay, he was briefly mentioned in Threads).

Sam as the Encouraging Friend...I want to see situations where the others are going through a difficult situation and Sam is there to provide emotional support. Teal'c would be great here...he's been such a friend to her and so supportive and their relationship has really grown the last few seasons. What if the tables were turned and he needed her emotional support?

Sam as the Decision Maker...I want Sam to make a major decision with huge ramifications that no one else agrees with, but they BACK HER DECISION because they trust her...and she turns out to be right.

Sam as the Snark-Master...She did it great snarky bits in It's Good to be King and I want to see MORE SNARK!!! I demand it.
          Good list, plus Sally's ideas to have Carter using her Tok'ra abilities and to deal directly with Replicarter.

Perhaps copying this to the Ask Joe Mallozzi thread and asking if we will see any of this for Carter would be a good idea. Mind you I have ulterior motives to posting this list as a question for Mallozzi as I do not expect a substanitve answer, if we werew to get any answer at all but anything posted there has to be in question format so if it is posted as a question it is a way to get some ideas across to Mallozzi and maybe they will get the hint/idea and use one or two of these as ideas in the event they have crapped out of ideas for Carter like in S7-S8. Just digging down for that wild hope for Carter's character to be the real Carter in S9.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Yes! That AU Sam is a great idea! Maybe her father was killed in the car crash along with her mother, and that led to a rough upbringing before she joins the Military. Kinda like O'Neill!Sam or Starbuck!Sam Man that would be an awesome episode idea... or maybe a fanfic idea? *hint hint, nudge nudge*
            darksam is very appealing.<g> and amanda would have a ball playing such a different sam, that's for sure. i did a story once (shippy of course ) where a *very* different alternate sam and jack came through the quantum mirror. they were dark, but not evil dark. they were just both VERY screwed up ppl, both of who had went through some bad things to make them so unstable. it would be very interesting to see our real ppl seeing such screwed up versions of themselves.

Hell I'd be happy if she was flying a cropduster, but yes - more Pilot!Sam in season9!
            this doesn't go with what has been shown on the show, but i'd love to see sam flying a helicopter. or, she makes her own one-seater flying machine and takes it to the alphasite to play with. that would be cool!

I'd like to see some Dark!Sam. RepliCarter knows that Sam has 'untapped greatness' in her, and I'd love to see that lead Sam to do something that maybe shocks everyone around her. Something that's not pretty.
            that would be awesome!

ideas --

* accident or not, sam kills a young person. say it's on a mission, and a sniper is shooting at them. sam shoots back, takes the person down, and then she sees that she's killed a teenaged boy. okay, that doesn't sound exactly 'dark' from sam, but i could see the fallout of that having lasting impressions.

* sam sees one of her friends being tortured or hurt maliciously, and she strikes out suddenly and kills the person(s) doing it.

* i believe that if sam saw cassie being horribly hurt (rape maybe), she would be capable of cold-blooded murder. like snapping the person's neck, then feeling the guilt hit home later. but i think in that instant, she would be capable of it.

there was a fic i read once where sam killed someone that had accompanied their team by, i think, suffocating him. she felt tremendous guilt, but it was later found out that she was suffering from poisoning that had affected her mind and reasoning.

if replicarter really worked on screwing with sam's head, i think it would be interesting to see what she could make sam do. what do you guys think she could make sam do?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
              Oh here goes - maybe this will be my first post with my new computer?!!

Right I shall jump right in with the posts on this page.

Re the other Guys - I didn't think it was supposed to be a serious episode at all. I think it was just the writers taking the proverbial. And the way I sort of viewed it they were taking the proverbial out of geeky guys with crushes, not smart women in responsible positions. Having said all that I didn't like the end scene either - It made Felger look all too sad. In reality I think Sam Carter would be the sort of woman many, many men would fall for, but never ask out - and yes I agree mainly because a lot of men feel very intimidated by strong women. After all it means they would have to forgoe the dominant role!!
              Guys feel free to jump in and disagree - we all view things differently

The Other Guys was just a romp and I've put that and avenger and a couple of others to one side in terms of "real" Stargate. I really enjoyed these two (last scene in Avenger aside too) and would quite like Felger to pop up again!
              I have to agree with Coley. I saw the Other Guys as nothing more than a stand alone comedy episode that they do every year. Every year they put out one comedy episode and one clip show. In both cases, they are typically either an earth based episode or one with little to no special effects in order to try to keep costs down. We've just been lucky over the years that some of these stories have been much better than others and thus much more entertaining. I'm not positive if the following were indeed the comedy and clip shows for each season, but these are my opinion.

Season 1
              Tin Man
              Politics

Season 2
              Out of Mind

Season 3
              Urgo
              Legacy

Season 4
              Window of Opportunity
              Divide and Conquer

Season 5
              Wormhole Extreme
              Threshold

Season 6
              The Other Guys
              Disclosure

Season 7
              Avenger 2.0
              Inauguration

Season 8
              Prometheus Unbound
              Citizen Joe

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

Just read AT's third interview (posted in Stargate news). She already mentioned in the second interview about how she hoped she would be able to LEAD the team. In this interview, she talks about wanting a storyline with Cassie. I hope the writers take these suggestions to heart.
                yes, i saw the transcript of it on my ship list i'm on (thanks morjana). i'm hoping to get the video of the interview, to go along with the two other parts i have saved.

as for her statement about wanting to deal with cassie, i'm all for that! it should have already been done, though, seeing as we should have seen how cassie was dealing 'after' she came to her loss (nice save of not having to use spoiler space ).

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

i used to read Mercedes Lackey and David Eddings, both of which are very good with strong female characters and males that aren't all macho and studly, but very real

that's how i see sam, very real.

and i agree with you, the sam/cassie stuff is a place where tptb really have dropped the ball. if they really wanted to deal with sam's sociallife, they shoulda dealt with that. cassie having issues and having to deal with sam's job getting in the way
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Uber.....love your S9 Sam list! I won't post it again, as others have already done that a couple of times a few posts up. But, as always, it's so comprehensive and well-thought out!

Comment

spoilers for s8's lockdown

(snipped)

And that leads me back to Cassie, another dropped topic, who I think should be mentioned at the very least in passing. I wrote previously on this thread how Lockdown would have been a neat opportunity for Sam and Cassie to hash it out...perhaps Cassie isn't adjusting well without Janet after all?

Maybe we'll have a redeemed opportunity for that convo in Season 9.
                      i'm a bit hazy on the ep, so what do you mean it would have been a great opp for sam and cassie to hash it out?

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

i would presume, while they were stuck in the base, sam coulda mentioned calling cassie or some such thing.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                          And finally

Best Snarky Sam lines or dialogue

(snippage)

NC
                          i can't rep you, nc, so i'm doing it here. this one's my fave! i LOVE snarky sam! well done and thanks.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I read the Chronicles of Narnia and the Lord of the Rings series. I also liked mysteries, like Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. I still read mysteries, when I'm not reading fan fic!

Being a baby boomer, most of my sci-fi influence has come from TV. I go from "Lost in Space" to "Star Trek" to all of the Trek spinoffs, to "The X-Files." "Star Trek: Next Generation" is my second favorite sci-fi series, right behind "SG-1." One reason is the wide variety of stories, characters and protagonists they employed over the years. The other reason is the excellent character development. "ST: NG" never got dull, or lost its creativity.....until the movies. I thought they were somewhat cumbersome, but by that time, I was so infatuated with "SG-1" that it may have clouded my judgment a little.

I'd also like to say that I don't think stories like the ones about the Other Guys detract from the main storyline. Into each life come a multitude of different experiences. The "quirky" episodes, as I'll call them, have their own charm. I always find them an enjoyable break from "SG-1's" primary focus episodes, and a chance to see our Sam & pals dealing with different issues than evil aliens and whether they're going to live til the next episode.

Just some ramblings.....

Comment

Hey, Carmen is on "Crossing Jordan" tonight. I just saw him! I think he's playing a heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

(ridiculous, and literally laughable, snippage)

Upgrades - After the "scuffle" in O'Malley's
                                O'Neill - ….."Carter wanted steak"
                                Carter - "It was your idea…..Sir!
                                Her delivery and expression - just class!
                                i LOVE amanda's delivery of that line ('it was your idea... sir!) the whole routine was cute, but especially sam's reply. it was fun to see her snarky with jack.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X