Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deepspace
    I was wondering how many people here read scifi or fantasy books. I realise everyone has their time cut out for them reading fanfics (which I have decided that I am going to start to do as soon as I find a Sam story with not too much romance or torture (I’ll get to those later) and definitely no slash, to start off with), but Strix (I’m pretty sure it was Strix) commented on Elizabeth Moon’s Paksenarrion books much earlier on in this thread. I’ve since been thinking about what other female characters I admire in books. I’m not a feminist, but I do like reading books about women who are warriors or soldiers. I certainly found the Paksenarrion books worth reading.
    I particularly think that the character of Ash in Mary Gentle’s book Ash: A Secret History, is another brilliantly portrayed soldier, only she weilds swords, except… well, I don’t want to spoil the end just in case anyone ever reads it, but lets just say… modern military is in there too. The book is also really about the science of Quantum Physics, which is another reason why I love it.
    I grew up on Tamora Pierce’s books, most of which featured girls either disguised as boys or not, training to be Knights. They were young adult books, and fairly basic, but I found them fun. Whether it was Alanna or Kel or any of the other girls who became Pages and then Squires and then Knights, I lapped up their tales non stop.
    Now, having waded through a lot of steriotypical fantasy novels about huge, brawny, egotistical guy heroes, I have been trying to sort out in my head why in a lot of ways a female soldier is more realistic than that. I am by no means saying that there aren’t brilliant books with male heroes who are written well, only that they are rarer, and harder to find. Surprisingly I haven’t read that much science fiction, so if anyone knows any good scifi female soldiers, I’d love to know.
    Sorry if this is all off topic, it’s just Sam makes me think about a lot of things, and sometimes those things are not on the topic of Sam.

I've never been much of a sci fi reader but have thoroughly enjoyed all the stargate fanfic I have read. I'm astounded by the talent out there. Many thanks to all who write!!

I have also read the Phillip Pullman Dark Materials trilogy which starts with "The Northern Lights" A fantastic read - with a young female heroine called Lyra who could alsomost be a young Sam - feisty, intelligent, kind with a whole load of integrity and determination. It is a fantasy mind!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      Amen. I'm sure as an actor AT wants to do more than spout technical stuff, but hasn't she learned to be careful what she wishes for with these writers? Maybe we will get more *team* relationship stuff. Little moments where they talk to each other and we see their (nonromantic) bond? Sam affected by the fallout of loss, *but still professional and in charge*? Could the writers find a way to convey, yes, I'm affected by all this loss and pain, but I can still do my job?
      I wholeheartedly agree with how you worded those last two sentences, Jckfan!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
        Woohoo! I just passed my 100th post!

I'm now a Jaffa Warrior!

Hurrah!
        That deserves some Royal Blue Jello!

Comment

Coley is back!
          ok...
          well I thought it was worth dedicating a whole post to, all... *counts* however many words it consists of .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Best AT Adlib:

From Children of the Gods

AgentDark, MajorSal
            Took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver one of these...

click here to listen.

From Small Victories

Skydiver
            ya sure ya betcha

click here to listen.

From Thor’s Chariot

Tok'Ra Hostess, MajorSal
            And I was... there."
            click here to listen.

Still more to come...

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              and not just boys. take the Other Guys for example. Anyone else but me see Felger as the ultimate Marty Sue? The geek that gets accepted into the cool team and ends up saving the day, getting a kiss and a medal to boot???

As much fun as it was, and y es, i did laugh out loud while i watched it and do count it in among the more enjoyable eps, Other Guys was nothing more than y our cheesiest Martysue fic brought to life.

and we're seeing more and more of that. not just the fanboy ideas coming to the screen, but the fanboy ideas not even trying to be meshed in to the real continuity.

I was cool with Other guys when it looked like it was all a dream, but then it became apparant that it really happened

That's part of my issue with teh direction that the show is taking as a whole. it's not the new ideas, it's how those new ideas are being integrated into the show's continuity.

Just like i had no issue with sam getting a life, it's how she got a life. it's that pete, who didn't quite act like a good guy, not getting whacked for being a crumb, he got a kiss and invited into the inner circle. More MartySue attitudes and Sam was sacrificed and made to look like a doormat to facilitate that
              Great post, Sky... The term "Mary Sue" (or in this case 'Marty Sue') is one that I've never fully cottoned on to - have only seen it in context... but I think I get it after reading your comments. Thanks
              Originally posted by skydiver
              With the general idea of chimera, they had a fantistic opportunity to deal with things. such as how long can cheyenne mountain keep losing folks in training accidents? how do families deal with dad going to work under a mountain in January and coming home with a tan? how does huggy explain a staff weapon burn to his wife?
              These are wonderful ideas/questions/storyline additions. And I love the part of going into the mountain in January and coming out with a tan!

Comment

And finally

Best Snarky Sam lines or dialogue

From Metamorphosis

ForeverSG1
                Jonas, you are such a chickenshi*t!

click here to listen.

From Bane

ForeverSG1
                You son of a b*tch…

click here to listen.

From Paradise Lost

Forever SG1
                Excuse me? Where’s Colonel O’Neill? I don’t see him, do you?
                Did you guys find him while I was gone? …
                I say when we’re done here!

click here to listen.

From Revelations

ForeverSG1
                Sam: We won’t be able to activate the cloak until we come out of hyperspace. There’ll be a brief interval where they might detect us.
                Jack: How brief?
                Sam: Just a few seconds. The odds of them spotting us are pretty slim.
                Jack: How slim?
                Sam: Hardly worth mentioning, Sir.
                Jack: And yet, you did mention it.
                Sam: Yeah, I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t .

click here to listen.

From Redemption II

ForeverSG1 MajorSal
                Sam: For the record, I HATE you.
                McKay: Well, can’t get any worse then, can it?
                Sam: Oh, no. I’m rapidly working up to DESPISE.
                McKay: You know, we’re obviously gonna have to get over this
                physical attraction thing if we’re going to work together.
                Sam: I think I can act as though it never existed.
                McKay: Shall we save the world?
                Sam : Before I take credit for this…shouldn’t the EM pulse generator be pointed AT the gate? -

click here to listen.

Thanks to astrog for these pictures

From 48 hours

ForeverSG1 MajorSal
                Sam: God you're a jerk!
                McKay: I wish I didn't find you so attractive. I always had a real weakness
                for dumb blondes.
                Sam: Go suck a lemon.

click here to listen.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                  Fingers crossed this will work. I've gone through a few crashes just to get here!!! Here we go! Not doing so well so far

Pah just cant seem to copy and paste from word with Firefox!

Astro Hope you don't mind if I mail you my Carter/AT stuff!! Sorry about this!!
                  Coley's Ultimate Sam Choices:

Best All-Around Carter Episodes:
                  Foothold - It was all up to Carter in this one. On her own for the first time I think - and of course she saved the day!!
                  Ascension - The many facets of Samantha Carter
                  Nemesis - for me this showed the strength of character she has as a soldier

Great Kick-A$$ Carter Scenes:
                  The First Commandment - when she gave the mine guard a good thumping and afterwards said "That
                  was refreshing!"
                  Forever in a Day - Opening scene fire fight with the Jaffa, taking charge of the rocket launcher and taking out the Jaffa cannon with the first shot!!
                  Nemesis - Shooting heck out of the replicators
                  Exodus - kicking replicator Ass
                  Carter - "I'm enjoying myself now sir!"
                  O'Neill - "You go girl!"
                  Homecoming - where she joins in the fisty cuffs with the Jaffa. I think this is where she dislodged a rib!
                  There but for the Grace of God - "Oh Yeah, I also want to blow us all to hell!!

Best AT Acting Episodes:
                  Ascension without a doubt for me. This episode showed so many different facets of Sam and AT acted them out to perfection. My two favourite clips.

Right at the beginning when O'Neill told her not to touch the technology, and repeated it, her following expressions were just brilliant: - sort of an innocent "who me"? Merged with a little peeved "It's my job to touch"! merged with a stubborn "Well I'm gonna touch anyway!" And she did!!!

In the briefing room when General Hammond told her that SG16 were taking over investigating the technology. She requested to join SG16 and the General denied it. Her peeved look straight after this was priceless!

Everyone is gonna hate me for this but Chimera displayed AT's acting talents to the full. A totally different Sam appeared. I preferred the innocent shy Sam but AT played confident and flirty to the full. The episode also proved that Sam is most certainly not just a pretty face!! Enough said!!

Redemption - Quite simply for the comedic interaction with MacKay. Would love to see more of them together.
                  Avenger 2 - hilarious playing it straight!
                  Matter of Time - because of her delivery of all the techno babble - seemingly with ease! Oh and of course the doughnut!

Best AT Acting Scenes:
                  My fave all time - in Need right at the end when they come back through the Stargate. In response to O'Neill's "Carter picked up some Naquadah!" she lifts the said mineral up with a motion which portrayed "I'm right fed up and all I want is a shower then I'm gonna have words with Daniel" It was such a small clip and she was in the background that it totally knocked me out that she could communicate those feelings to me the viewer.

Another small clip from The First Commandment - when they are settling down in the camp for the night and breaking out the rations

Daniel - "This tastes like chicken"
                  Sam - "What's wrong with it?"
                  Daniel - "It's supposed to be macaroni cheese!"

AT just looked at the packet in disgust and plops it down with just brilliant motion!

She acts 100% of the time all the time!!!

Forever in a Day - her scene with Daniel in the infirmary after Shaare is killed.
                  Spacerace - the briefing room scene when she was angling to get in on the race. I just though she played exited and trying-to-look-innocent manipulator perfectly!
                  Upgrades - After the "scuffle" in O'Malley's
                  O'Neill - ….."Carter wanted steak"
                  Carter - "It was your idea…..Sir!
                  Her delivery and expression - just class!

Small Victories. I though the whole scene with Thor on his ship was brilliant. She delivered so many expressions it is a joy to watch again and again! In particular the yellow cube snippet and:-
                  Sam - You don't happen to keep any (replicators) around for study?!
                  Thor - "It's too dangerous!"
                  Sam - "Of course that would be stupid! Just out of curiosity could, say, oh I don't know, two of the individual blocks replicate?
                  Thor - "It requires several blocks working together to make new blocks"
                  Sam - "It's good to know!"

I thought AT was priceless

Rite of Passage - The chess scene with Cassie. AT got a chance to act a non-SG1 relationship scene, very rare for her and again perfect delivery - you just wanted to hug her for being so sweet. Thought the Cassie actor was also brilliant.

Let's face it there isn't anything that she can't act!!

Great Episodes for the Character Development of Sam Carter:
                  Can't pick one - all had development - until season 7 when the regression started!!

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes:
                  Hero's part 2 - The scene in O'Neill's private infirmary room spoke volumes for me - shame the messages from the writers in season 7 and 8 were never that consistent.

Best Carter Humour Scene:
                  Redemption part 2 Sam and MacKay in the Gateroom with the pulse generator

Space Race
                  OK this is just a snippet
                  Sam (to Jarlath) - "What are you doing?"
                  Jarlath - "Re routing the conduit from your fancy power device, doubling back through the communications array!"
                  Sam - "So we can ask him to lose?
                  Jarlath - "humorous!…"

Best Carter Lines:
                  Apart from those I've already mentioned
                  Metamorphosis to Jonas - "You're such a chicken s**t!
                  Exodus - "Welcome to my life!"
                  Fifth Man - "This is ridiculous - we should never have left the damn planet!" Just loved her attitude with this line
                  Grace - (to Daniel) "Were you this annoying when you were ascended?"

Best AT Adlib:
                  I only know a couple, so it has to be the "Mayborne you’re an idiot!…." One!

Best Sam-whumping scene/episode:
                  The Curse - Osiris with the hand device - whoever played the stunt looked like they hurt their head when they were blasted against the wall!!
                  Foothold - getting whacked by the alien Gen Hammond near the end
                  Evolution Part 2 - getting whacked by the supa soldier

Best Sam/Teal'c scene/episode:
                  Matter of Time - On the surface when she is trying to figure out a solution

Best episode where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contribution
                  Failsafe - the episode was a fantastic team ep and one of my fave's - but it was Carter who led the way in this from start to finish! Plus she suggested they could always blow the bomb up on the ship (with them along with it) Sam the Supahero!!!

Best Writer of good, solid Carter episodes:
                  Don't think there has been anyone who has been consistently good

Best/Favourite Sam pics

Got this off the web and not sure how to credit copyright - but it's not mine!

Best Snarky Sam Lines
                  The Light - to O'Neill in the Gateroom
                  "So that was the bet, whether or not I'd go?! - Haven't you got anything better to do?!"

Redemption to MacKay: "Shouldn't the pulse generator be pointing at the Gate?!"

Avenger
                  Felger - "I'm on the verge of a major breakthrough! …. It's gonna be huge…"
                  Sam - "What is it?"
                  Felger - "Mmmmm?"
                  Sam - "What is it?!"
                  Not so much snarky as impatient, exasperated and a little condescending (I thought)

Best Episode which shows ScienceSmart!Sam
                  The writers just ran away with her intelligence as the seasons went by. She seemed to become an expert in every scientific field. I preferred it at the beginning when the let her be the Astrophysicist expert - so "A Matter of Time" sticks out for me

----------------

Coley: this was a wonderful and thoughtful analysis and critique of great Sam moments and highlights! Thanks *so* much for typing this up so we could all enjoy and share it!

You definitely earned some well-deserved *special* Royal Blue Jello...

Comment

Great post Uber!!
                    Wait till you see the pictorial version a page or two later!

As for what I want for Sam in Season 9, well all I can do is summarize everything I've been saying on this thread...and as far as I'm concerned, this would be the list I'd forward to TPTB.

Mary Beth's (ÜberSG-1Fan) Ideal Sam for Season 9

Sam as Soldier...I want to see Sam be the kickbutt, no holds barred team leader of SG-1. I love seeing how cool she is under pressure, like in Avenger 2.0 or Zero Hour.

Sam as Scientist...I want to see her solve really difficult situations that seem impossible at first. Too many examples to post here...the most obvious one is Matter of Time. But that's just one of many, many examples, and we haven't had much of this lately.

Sam as the Explorer...Without RDA around, we'll have more of a chance to see SG-1 go offworld. So, I want to see Sam going to other worlds, finding and using cool technology...and perhaps being bitten back by that technology, like in Message in a Bottle.

Sam as the Final Word...Sure, she turned on the gadget that (supposedly) eliminated all replicators in this galaxy. But what about the rest of the universe? And what about Repli Carter, who I still say was beamed away in Reckoning 2??? I want Sam to go head to head and hand to hand with Repli Carter and kick her butt.

Sam as a Woman...I want some hint that there's progression in her feelings and relationship with Jack. And as much as I loved Threads, I don't think we need whole episodes dedicated to the topic anymore, just a mention here and there or a phone call now and then. I think Threads did a great job sewing up the S/J story to some extent (Get it? THREADS? SEW??? Man, I kill me sometimes). Now, I know we weren't supposed to mention ship, but IMHO it is an aspect of her life and they did just spend tons of time on it...so it would be completely bizarre for them to drop the topic like a hot potato and out of character for Sam to not even mention it.

Sam the Pilot...I thought her flying the X-302 in Covenant was just awesome. I mean, before hand, she'd always ride second seat to O'Neill. It was sweet to see her at the controls. Who knew she could fly like that???

Sam as a Mistake Maker...I want to see her make big mistakes and regret them...Gemini is a great example here.

Sam as a Mother...I want to see more of Sam with Cassie and how their interactions are affected with Janet gone. So she picked her up for Janet's memorial...then what?

Sam as Lost/Hurt...I love any eps where Sam is in dire straights...Solitudes, Death Knell...and is left to her own devices until her friends arrive and rescue her. This leads into...

Sam as Houdini...I'd love to see her get captured and escape from an impossible scenario without outside assistance.

Sam as Former Host to Jolinar...I want to see more payoff as to the benefits of hosting the Tok'ra Jolinar, including using Goa'uld weapons and technology and perhaps also keying in on some Jolinar memories.

Sam as the Rescuer...I want to see a scenario where someone is taken hostage and Sam and SG-1 is sent in to rescue them (I'll actually be working on a fic along those lines, btw).

Sam as the One Left Behind...I want to see more of how Sam is dealing with the losses in her life, from Janet to her father.

Sam as the Sister/Aunt...I've only seen Mark once. Wouldn't it be nice if we heard his name or maybe even saw him again? (Okay, he was briefly mentioned in Threads).

Sam as the Encouraging Friend...I want to see situations where the others are going through a difficult situation and Sam is there to provide emotional support. Teal'c would be great here...he's been such a friend to her and so supportive and their relationship has really grown the last few seasons. What if the tables were turned and he needed her emotional support?

Sam as the Decision Maker...I want Sam to make a major decision with huge ramifications that no one else agrees with, but they BACK HER DECISION because they trust her...and she turns out to be right.

Sam as the Snark-Master...She did it great snarky bits in It's Good to be King and I want to see MORE SNARK!!! I demand it.

Last edited by Uber; 24 April 2005, 02:50 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Oh gosh!

Sam in charge of SG1 and leading lots of sucessful missions against earth's increasing enemies.

Soldier Sam in battle kicking butt - and I mean really in the thick of things!

I'm with Astro - Sam flying the lead in the F303's - ahhh that rhymes - ChopinGal leave!!!

Sam using her sci knowledge to get the team out of scrapes off world

Sam sharing kudos with team mates in team based ep's. I would love an ep where they had to pool their expertise to get out of scrape. Well more than just one ep

Sam facing and getting a good whumping and coming out the other end the stronger and maybe wiser. Oh Astro I would love an "Overtime" type of ep!!

Sam being funny. I'm hoping her and CM can strike up a friendly exchange of sarcasm (like 1s and Moi - saturday after me laying the base for all things Stargate - 1s "I'm off to get soemthing out of the car!" Coley "Oh, what do you need an asprin already?" 1s "No some ear plugs!") I just love Sam being funny and AT is just the lady for it!

More action for Sam - much much more action!!

More the team together off base if they have to extend the "relationships" theme.

More Sam and Teal'c - though I think they may have Teal'c off world tied up with the Jaffa - sob!!

enough for now?
                      *Wonderful* list, Coley! Five-star! Or 5-Jello!

Comment

Oh my god! Did I really have my hair like that?!

They at least could have given me a cool backpack!

OKay this is really freakin' me out!

I'm way younger looking than that!
                        LOL! Love the reference to the COTG MM 'cool backpack'!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          what i'd like

sam in command

sam and cam conflict of some sorts (not romantic)

sam and teal'c stuck off world and having to save themselves

simply more sam
                          Downloaded and archived into the growing summary list, Sky!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                            I have been having a lot of difficulty picking an ultimate Sam episode… missed the poll anyway. I started off with Death Knell, thinking, well, this episode is all Sam, it’s pretty much nothing but her, toughing it out, fighting for her life. Then I changed my mind, and thought of all the episodes I like most.
                            While I love In The Line of Duty and Entity, they really aren’t Sam episodes so much as great episodes that have huge ramifications for Sam, but are not really about her, so much as the aliens that take over her body. Brilliant acting by Amanda though.
                            I then thought of Foothold, which really does show most sides of Sam, she’s competent, clever, and saves the day (world). I tossed around a few more, and swapped my preferences around numerous times, but I keep coming back to A Matter of Time as being one of my very favourite episodes, which is about the real Sam. I know it doesn’t show the military side of Sam so well, as it’s mostly about her as a scientist, trying to come up with a scientiffic solution to a major problem, but for me it just really shows Sam, as… Sam.
                            I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow, if not in the first five minuted after I submit this post.
                            But thankyou again to skydiver for running the Sam polls from beginning to end, and to astrogeologist for archiving them. And congratulations to the winner, Grace.
                            Great post deepspace - love your analysis -very thoughtful and insightful!

I too found it very difficult to choose a single 'Best Carter Episode'... that's what made me want to do the Best Sam Episode By Category Summary - that way we got to highlight the many different wonderful aspects of the special character that is Sam Carter.

I downloaded your comments and will integrate them, along with Coley's, into the Summary Comment lists

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                              Best Carter Lines: and those of you who chose them.

From Foothold, cited as a Best Carter line and in the best Carter adlib and in the snarkiest lines:

AgentDark, Astrogeologist , MajorSal, ForeverSG1
                              Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week...

click here to listen

From Singularity

AgentDark
                              You didn't think the Colonel had a telescope on his roof just to look at the neighbours did you?

click here to listen

From Revelations

Skydiver
                              Don't give me that way of the warrior crap

click here to listen

From Nightwalkers

Astrogeologist, dipsofjazz
                              Wormhole Theory, motorcycle riding and lock-picking

click here to listen

We have another tradition; it’s called hardened arteries.

click here to listen

From Enemies

Skydiver, Astrogeologist
                              Welcome to MY life!
                              click here to listen

Again pictures from astrog

From Reckoning

Astrogeologist
                              Y’know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water!
                              Next up: parting the Red Sea.-

click here to listen

From Grace

Astrogeologist
                              This is real, this is real

click here to listen to astrog’s audio clip

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/NearlyCircular/Grace/real4.bmp
                              [/IMG]

Astrogeologist
                              Sure, but the massive headache really takes the edge off it all.

click here to listen to astrog’s audio clip

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../GraceDad1.jpg
                              pictures courtesy of astrog

To be continued...

NC
                              Great audio clips and pics, NC! I went back to the Ultimate Sam Summary list and added a link to your post here

Last edited by Skydiver; 24 April 2005, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                And finally

Best Snarky Sam lines or dialogue

From Metamorphosis

ForeverSG1
                                Jonas, you are such a chickenshi*t!

click here to listen.

From Bane

ForeverSG1
                                You son of a b*tch…

click here to listen.

From Paradise Lost

Forever SG1
                                Excuse me? Where’s Colonel O’Neill? I don’t see him, do you?
                                Did you guys find him while I was gone? …
                                I say when we’re done here!

click here to listen.

From Revelations

ForeverSG1
                                Sam: We won’t be able to activate the cloak until we come out of hyperspace. There’ll be a brief interval where they might detect us.
                                Jack: How brief?
                                Sam: Just a few seconds. The odds of them spotting us are pretty slim.
                                Jack: How slim?
                                Sam: Hardly worth mentioning, Sir.
                                Jack: And yet, you did mention it.
                                Sam: Yeah, I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t .

click here to listen.

From Redemption II

ForeverSG1 MajorSal
                                Sam: For the record, I HATE you.
                                McKay: Well, can’t get any worse then, can it?
                                Sam: Oh, no. I’m rapidly working up to DESPISE.
                                McKay: You know, we’re obviously gonna have to get over this
                                physical attraction thing if we’re going to work together.
                                Sam: I think I can act as though it never existed.
                                McKay: Shall we save the world?
                                Sam : Before I take credit for this…shouldn’t the EM pulse generator be pointed AT the gate? -

click here to listen.

From 48 hours

ForeverSG1 MajorSal
                                Sam: God you're a jerk!
                                McKay: I wish I didn't find you so attractive. I always had a real weakness
                                for dumb blondes.
                                Sam: Go suck a lemon.

click here to listen.

NC
                                I can't rep you again, so I'll just have to send you some more Royal Blue Jello! Thanks so much for posting these - they are so much fun to listen to

Comment

Working...
                                X