Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Well put! And I think that that's why they brought in a boyfriend for Sam. To round her out... to give her character depth... to give AT a wider range for her acting talents... I was all for the idea of a boyfriend for Sam - and I still am... in fact, I think they should have made references to occassional dating thoughout the series - for all of the 4 main characters. That said, I didn't like the morning bedroom scenes in Chimera - where Pete demands information she can't give him... and then he storms out... and then follows her to the stakeout. IMHO, those final scenes were poorly written for the ramifications to the character of Sam Carter.

I also don't think that they should have written the whole Pete engagement scenes (Affinity)... They are detracting from the wonderful female character that they constructed over 6-7 years on the show. The character of Sam Carter will only get so much screen time... they need to redirect their focus back onto her professional competency and heroism.
    Until I started reading this thread, I was fairly ambivalent about Pete. I liked the idea that Sam should have a personal life, and I liked the fact that Pete apparently made her happy. But I find myself agreeing with many people here when they say that it was all too sudden. More back story would be helpful. I wouldn't want the show to wallow in the dating lives of the team since it's not a soap opera, but just a few glimpses would be better than nothing.

And as others have stated so well, the way that Sam has been portrayed in her relationship with Pete hasn't been true to the character as it's been developed over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfury
      I want to start by saying that Sam is and always has been my favorite SG1 character and one of my favorite characters of all time, and that's mostly because of Amanda Tapping.

It's also because in spite of being written as an incredibly smart, talented, strong woman, Sam is also portrayed as a human being with faults, flaws and weaknesses.

Such mistakes give Amanda and the writers interesting material to work with, as long as they don't push it too far. I don't want to see Sam as an inadequate soldier or commander. I want to see her succeed often--she is my hero, after all. As you pointed out, she's got 2nd place in the number of on-screen hits to her credit. Heck, look at Death Knell. She kicked Super Soldier butt in that one.

In my opinion, they need to show her being more successful at command, at this point.
      Yes, the vulnerabilities make her human... and therefore more real.. and not so much of a comic-book hero. The important point is that they maintain the proper balance - that they don't push the mistakes too far.

And I agree - I don't want to see Carter as an inadequate soldier or commander.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        I think that Sam has an instinct for making things work. For the most part she's not hidebound - "this is the way I learned it so there's no other way to look at <insert problem here>." At first, perhaps - witness her failure to grasp the idea that the Gate could lead to other Gates(COTG), but not lately.

She loves gadgets, and studies them in her spare time(Learning Curve and Exodus). Though this has taught her a lot about alien tech, she also said, in Ressurection, that nobody knows more about alien tech than Dr. Lee. Maybe she has used his findings and surely that of others at area 51 to add to her working knowledge of alien tech.

She's grown used to the idea that problems have a solution and instead of avoiding them with a "not my department" mentality, she revels in problem solving. I think her experiences over the course of the series, and especially Jack (where there's a will there's an or ) have given her the confidence to tackle whatever comes at her.
        Nicely stated! I was thinking along the very same lines, but was struggling with how to word it.

I have always been impressed with how they show Carter listening to other folks' suggestions... and then Carter pieces it together or extrapolates into something useful. She's a problem solver... she can work organically and extrapolate into new areas. She has a willingness to 'think outside the established doctrine'.

I have been informed (on another thread) that Carter's degree is actually in Quantum Physics.. and whether it's Astrophysics or Quantum Physics, it's the physics portion that makes her character true-to-form for me. I work in a town full of physicists (there's a national research lab here) and I watch physicists problem-solve and trouble shoot all day. Now, I took several years of engineering college physics myself (along the way to a geology degree, but I was holding my options open), so most of the time, I feel like I can follow what the physicists are saying... but when they start trouble-shooting equipment - they leave me in the dust... I find myself longing for my rock hammer. Of course, as impressed as I am with the equipment trouble-shooting talents of my colleagues, I have to admit that they take chances too... plenty of blown fuses!

In summary, I find Carter's organic problem-solving abilities true-to-form for someone with a background in physics.
        This was originally posted on the thread "Sam knows everything", but it seemed too good to miss for our Sam-thread here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

or....we could do it by season, let everyone vote on the best sam episode of each season, then take those 7 winners (or 8) and let them run against each other to get the best sam episode over all
          I like this idea. There are so many good episodes.

Comment

I am not an anybody/anybody shipper, but I am quite the sucker for watching any two people being happy together.

So, I like ship, be it great, big, Loveboat ship or itty, bitty, tugboat ship (you know, the ones that guide the really big, important ships into safe harbors? ). I don't think there's much doubt that TPTB want Sam and Jack together by the end of the fourteenth season, but in the meantime, I'm happy to watch everyone love the one they're with. So I liked Kendra, Laira, Shau'nac, Orlin,

... Daniel's never really had anybody in his life since Shar'e, has he? Poor guy. :sadeyes

Originally posted by MajorSam
            I started seeing things I didn’t like when he took her to the dance. A fancy dance, with a bunch of old people.
            <shrugs> I thought it was quite romantic. As of Chimera Pete wasn't living in Colorado Springs. He wanted to take Sam on an old fashioned date where they could dance the old fashioned way(you know, like, where people hold each other and do actual dance steps? ) There probably weren't a lot of options open to him. He saw this occasion in the local paper and went for it. I thought it was sweet of him.

“It’s nice knowing some people still stay together no matter what, isn’t it?” That is SUCH a harsh set-up’ped hint. He can already tell that Sam isn’t fully invested in the relationship, and so he’s trying to, what, guilt her into it? I dunno, I just didn’t like how he did that.
            Interesting way of looking at it.

I thought that he said that to her because he had been thinking, at the time, of his own failed marriage. We find out later that Pete has had his heart broken before, too, and because of his job. His wife wouldn't "stay with him, no matter what." Maybe Pete was feeling that old insecurity, surrounded, as he was, by couples who had obviously been able to do what he had not. Maybe it was his way of asking her if she would stay with him, no matter what, since at this time he didn't know what Sam really did for a living. He thought he had the dangerous life.

I think that with the involvement of Pete we definitely have learned more about Sam, but I don’t like what we’ve learned.
            Ah, but, not liking what we learn about a person can make for good drama, too. Sam's a fallible human being. She has her weaknesses. Pete has the elements of a Jonah and a Jack (and her dad) and he brings his own faults to the table, too.
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

The *idea* of Pete is ok with me--reference to Sam having a personal life and ending the whole thinking about Jack thing. Pete is a cop and can understand dangerous work. He's crazy about her. The actors seem to have a rapport. All good.

BUT: lots of negatives. Mainly Pete's childish behavior the morning after & Sam's putting up with it. It's so hard to like Pete after that and I really wanted to. So much potential messed up.
              I've been trying to just say that if Sam forgives him, they must have worked something out off screen. But, (shakes head sadly) it's hard.

I disagree about the idea that Sam would never let her brother fix her up on a date. Once she decided to go out there and risk her heart again, I think she was open to at least a dinner out or something with her brother's friend. He might have told her-"-my buddy's in town, do me a favor and have dinner with him one night, he doesn't know anyone." Since we assume she's been patching things up with him since "Seth" she might have welcomed the chance to meet him halfway by doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                Thank you for the welcome everyone! As a big Sam and Amanda fan I will deffinately be posting here more often!

I was wondering, there has been so much negativity in various places about Sam and her relationship with Pete. What do you all think of it? I personally don't mind it. I know I'm probably in a minority but I think it's good that they're not showing Sam pining for Jack all the time and having her experiencing a relationship with someone else. I used to be a die hard shipper but I don't seem to be so much anymore. I'm all for character development and giving the actors and actresses on the shows a chance to portray all the aspects of their characters that they can and I love the fact that through Sams relationship with Pete we get to see a whole new side of her that we wouldn't have seen if she was just there pining for Jack. It gives a whole new emotional depth to the character that just wouldn't have been explored if it hadn't been for Pete and I personally think that it's good that they chose to explore the character that way. If they want to keep her a believable military officer there's no way she could be with Jack unless one of them leaves and through bringing in Pete we've learnt a whole lot more about her. It gives us more to relate to and it gives Amanda some great material.

Lucy
                Lucy Lou, What Did You Do?!

We have just let the 500-lb gorilla into the room! LOL

Yes, the subject of Sam Carter's love life is a hard one to discuss without getting emotionally involved. I've posted on the subject of bf Pete at other threads. Frankly, I'm feeling a lot like Major Sam over some of the scenes in Chimera which I felt did not ring true to who Sam was before she fell "head over heels" (Amanda's own words) over this guy. Lord knows, Sam deserved to fall for somebody and get a life outside the SGC, and break the Black Widow curse, yadda, yadda ... it looked good in theory; in practice, it was sadly lacking. IMHO, the writers seemed to go from bad to worse from the bedroom scene on. This man, Pete, obviously has serious issues of his own. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways ... Telling Sam that his ex-wife threw all his stuff out on the lawn. A lovely mental picture and red flag going up! Somehow, talking about the ex in the new girlfriend's bed just doesn't seem too diplomatic. And, then, the insistent prying (and pouting) accompanied by a hissy fit in the bedroom and the immature scoot out the door without even putting his shoes on before he hit the street. Don't forget the spying - phoning his FBI friend (who actually gave him great advice: "she's out of your league!") What was this all about?! He's a cop; he knows she's in the military. They were set up by her brother - what more did he need to know? Both professions have secrets and rules to keep. We do have to credit his determination though ... following her to a stakeout and almost getting her and himself killed. Oh, don't forget refusing to answer his phone while Sam (who thinks she is the guilty party) desperately tries to reach him. Yes, folks, all of these wonderful scenes played out before our disbelieving eyes.

For me, this was one time when Sam's vulnerability was painful to watch. I wanted to mail her a copy of Dating for Dummies. And, then, I reminded myself that Sam Carter is an imaginary character, she is not my niece or student. Somehow, though, I felt that the younger women, who look up to her as a role model, may have been wanting much more from the writers too ...

Okay, I'm off my soapbox - er, just a minute, aah, that's better - I just put the gorilla back in his cage.

Peace! CG
                Last edited by ChopinGal; 27 January 2005, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  I just *really* hope they don't kill off RC! She's too good a vilian, and Amanda's too good at it for that 'toy' to be taken away from her. I fear we'll know RC's fate in one of the Reckoning eps.

Here's a question for everyone. If RC does survive the Reckoning eps, would you like to see RC eventually become good, or stay bad?

Sally
                  This whole Replicarter good/evil conversation reminds me of this:
                  Originally posted by Patrick Currie interview on GW
                  GW: Do you prefer playing good guys, or bad guys, or someone in between?

PC: You know, it's playing the good guy who turns bad that is the most fun. Going through the evolution. You never really play a "bad guy," because bad people don't know they're bad. If they did they'd have the ability to change their actions. But they don't -- they just know that what they need is what they need, and it's the people on the outside who realize that that doesn't work or that it's wrong. Of course, they always realize afterwards what they've done.
                  I bolded a bit there that seems to me like how Amanda is playing Replicarter. Which is the right way to play it, for sure. I see Replicarter as a person who does bad things but doesn't know she's bad--just a very determined and creative person with a plan and no pesky rules to stand in her way. I haven't decided whether I want her to eventually come to a realization and change. But I just thought of something: I wonder if she'd be willing to seriously hurt Sam? I mean more than just figuratively and literally twisting her arm...would she be willing to kill her (metaphorical) mother?

I don't really know if this is necessary given that we're talking openly about Replicarter to begin with, but I'll flag it anyway: Speculation and Spoilers for Gemini, Reckoning, possibly Threads and Season 9
                  Spoiler:
                  Along the same lines, I don't really want to see her hurt Jacob but it'd be interesting to know if she would if she had a reason. Personally I think she would be willing to hurt (maybe even kill) Jack because she knows he would never, ever accept her in any way, so why not, if he gets in her way? And regardless of whether the vision she showed Sam of shooting Jack was real or not, the fact that she showed it to Sam like that makes me think she is actually capable of doing it.
                  Sam & Jack 'Ship...

Comment

my interpretation of pete is that sam came out of grace bound and determined that she was going to have a 'life'

and we all know show single minded sam can be when she sets her mind to it

I'm willing to bet that pete wasn't the first guy he tried to set her up with and sam probably surprised the hades out of him by saying yes

I think pete is a necessary part of her life. I think, whether she ends up with jack or not, she needs to have another relationship that doesn't end with 'he's a control freak and we broke it off'

I don't think that pete is right for her. I think that she's so independant and he's so desperate to recapture his lost marriage that, eventually, he'll put demands on her that she's not ready to accept

but i do think that pete is necessary. Sam needs to 'break the curse' and actually have a good relationship that doesn't end in blood shed or death
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                      Thank you for the welcome everyone! As a big Sam and Amanda fan I will deffinately be posting here more often!

I was wondering, there has been so much negativity in various places about Sam and her relationship with Pete. What do you all think of it? I personally don't mind it. I know I'm probably in a minority but I think it's good that they're not showing Sam pining for Jack all the time and having her experiencing a relationship with someone else. I used to be a die hard shipper but I don't seem to be so much anymore. I'm all for character development and giving the actors and actresses on the shows a chance to portray all the aspects of their characters that they can and I love the fact that through Sams relationship with Pete we get to see a whole new side of her that we wouldn't have seen if she was just there pining for Jack. It gives a whole new emotional depth to the character that just wouldn't have been explored if it hadn't been for Pete and I personally think that it's good that they chose to explore the character that way. If they want to keep her a believable military officer there's no way she could be with Jack unless one of them leaves and through bringing in Pete we've learnt a whole lot more about her. It gives us more to relate to and it gives Amanda some great material.

Lucy
                      Hi lucylou,

I would have to say that I don't care for Pete. I want to like him because Sam seems to like him, but the storyline just isn't working for me. I think he does love her, but he does not seem right for her at all, and he is not an interesting character to me. I want Sam to be with someone who has a lot to offer her and I don't see that in Pete. Also, I think one of the problems for me is that he just doesn't fit into the overall Stargate arc---he just seems added on/thrown in to give Sam a boyfriend that doens't die. I am fine with the idea of Sam having a love interest so that the character could be further developed, but I would have much preferred someone that was already part of the Stargate story---an example would be Agent Barrett. Or maybe it would be another soldier, not part of her unit; or another alien! Someone where the stories around their dating made some sense to the larger stories. Of course the other problems some people have mentioned involve his behavior at the stake-out. They just did not write this character well at all---I think alot of the fans reacted because they like Sam and want her to be with someone more honorable, interesting, and part of the overall storyline!

In regard to "pining" after Jack issue---I just have never seen it. I think Sam admires him and she does love him but knows that nothing can happen at this time, given regulations. Sam and Jack care more about the threats out there than their romance---they aren't going to focus on each other when so much is happening and is at stake. They both show quite a bit of restraint. I dont' see her pining at all. I guess I don't even know what pining means in this context. I don't think she spends that much time thinking about it---most of the time she is just doing her job (an extraordinary job at that).

Comment

[QUOTE=Starfury]This whole Replicarter good/evil conversation ...
                        how Amanda is playing Replicarter. Which is the right way to play it, for sure.

I see Replicarter as a person who does bad things but doesn't know she's bad--just a very determined and creative person with a plan and no pesky rules to stand in her way. I haven't decided whether I want her to eventually come to a realization and change. But I just thought of something: I wonder if she'd be willing to seriously hurt Sam? I mean more than just figuratively and literally twisting her arm...would she be willing to kill her (metaphorical) mother?

[QUOTE]

Yes, she is on her own mission of creation, she doesn't necessarily see herself as a destroyer. She tells Sam that there is a greatness in you and also that Sam doesn't fulfill her desires. So RC is reaching for power because she knows what she wants, what she desires. If Sam were to get in her way, wow, you've asked a great question: would she be willing to kill her (metaphorical) mother?

Let me tease this a little: in Freudian psychology, the son must kill/replace the father in order to gain his independence/separation and come into his own. If that holds true for Sam's (metaphorical) daughter, then RepliCarter will never be truly free until she does kill Sam. Something to think about!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          my interpretation of pete is that sam came out of grace bound and determined that she was going to have a 'life'

and we all know show single minded sam can be when she sets her mind to it

I'm willing to bet that pete wasn't the first guy he tried to set her up with and sam probably surprised the hades out of him by saying yes

I think pete is a necessary part of her life. I think, whether she ends up with jack or not, she needs to have another relationship that doesn't end with 'he's a control freak and we broke it off'

I don't think that pete is right for her. I think that she's so independant and he's so desperate to recapture his lost marriage that, eventually, he'll put demands on her that she's not ready to accept

but i do think that pete is necessary. Sam needs to 'break the curse' and actually have a good relationship that doesn't end in blood shed or death

Well, these are good points. I see why you are saying that he is necessary. I just wish the curse could have been broken with a better written character that also seems to fit the Stargate storylines. That why did not like Teal'cs little romantic encounter with his neighbor either---it felt out of place to me. But his interest in Ishta (sp?) makes more sense to me because she is written in the stories to more than just a love interest.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            Hi lucylou,

In regard to "pining" after Jack issue---I just have never seen it. I think Sam admires him and she does love him but knows that nothing can happen at this time, given regulations. Sam and Jack care more about the threats out there than their romance---they aren't going to focus on each other when so much is happening and is at stake. I don't think she spends that much time thinking about it---most of the time she is just doing her job (an extraordinary job at that).
                            Well that's what I thought, but then they bring in stuff like in Grace and in
                            early season 8
                            Spoiler:
                            taking a week (?) to decide about Pete's proposal and having that weird conversation with Jack about it?
                            As I've said many times, (perhaps on an anti-ship thread) I wish writers/ producers etc didn't always seem to feel the need to pair off characters.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              I would have to say that I don't care for Pete. I want to like him because Sam seems to like him, but the storyline just isn't working for me. I think he does love her, but he does not seem right for her at all, and he is not an interesting character to me. I want Sam to be with someone who has a lot to offer her and I don't see that in Pete. Also, I think one of the problems for me is that he just doesn't fit into the overall Stargate arc---he just seems added on/thrown in to give Sam a boyfriend that doens't die. I am fine with the idea of Sam having a love interest so that the character could be further developed, but I would have much preferred someone that was already part of the Stargate story---an example would be Agent Barrett. Or maybe it would be another soldier, not part of her unit; or another alien! Someone where the stories around their dating made some sense to the larger stories. Of course the other problems some people have mentioned involve his behavior at the stake-out. They just did not write this character well at all---I think alot of the fans reacted because they like Sam and want her to be with someone more honorable, interesting, and part of the overall storyline!

In regard to "pining" after Jack issue---I just have never seen it. I think Sam admires him and she does love him but knows that nothing can happen at this time, given regulations. Sam and Jack care more about the threats out there than their romance---they aren't going to focus on each other when so much is happening and is at stake. They both show quite a bit of restraint. I dont' see her pining at all. I guess I don't even know what pining means in this context. I don't think she spends that much time thinking about it---most of the time she is just doing her job (an extraordinary job at that).
                              Yes, I think we all wanted to see where the writers would take this arc and even begin it. And many of us were truly disappointed with how it was written. I thought Barrett was a hopeful candidate for the bf too.

I don't see her pining for Jack either; I don't think that's ever been portrayed in the episodes ... maybe just a wistful look at the end of Beneath the Surface when she knew that things had to return to the status quo.

Oops - I just read the post above me and stand corrected. Sam seemed to be pining for Jack in her hallucinations in Grace. But, remember, she was outta her head at the time.

Hopefully, we'll get less Pete and more Carter in command in S9. If the writers are brave enough to resolve the whole J/S ship by then, we won't be having these discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Hopefully, we'll get less Pete and more Carter in command in S9. If the writers are brave enough to resolve the whole J/S ship by then, we won't be having these discussions.
                                Hear, hear!

Comment

Working...
                                X