Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i agree with amanda. that's what drew me to stargate, the face that sam was simply a co-worker. she wasn't there to be rescued every week, or put there to loook pretty. she was there, in the thick of things, getting dirty, saving their tushes, getting hers saved...she was a friend and co-worker first and her real sex appeal was the simple fact that she's a good looking woman.

if the show really is headed the way it appears, then i can see amanda going to the writers and telling them to finish up sam's storyline and to write her out.

i know nothing about her life goals and other issues, but i would imagine that she doesn't necessarily need this job anymore. she is well liked and respected among the vancouver industry and should have no problem getting more work. not to mention having the ability to participate in the con circuit.

i would imagine also, and i am not trying to pry, that if she and alan wish to give olivia a little brother or sister, then next year would be the perfect time and she very well may wish to just leave and let the show head down the path it seems to be going

and, as much as i would miss her and Sam, i'd rather she quit while she still respects her job than stay for the sake of staying.
    I can't rep you so will send the Sam love this way. Everything you've written seems right on the money - great post!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      Binkpmmc--- Well, I think we have such a strong opportunity for Carter to be CONSISTENTLY well written in season nine, as a competent scientist and soldier because shipping (with anyone) should be kept to a minimum, and so the writers can concentrate on the brilliant and kickbutt side of Sam Carter throughout season nine.
      Thanks and from your mouth to God's ears, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

... Nice pic.... Chocolate and Honey. Yum!
        What a great metaphor for Teal'c and Sam! So sweet (pardon the pun)!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc

Thanks and from your mouth to God's ears, I hope.
          Yeah, but She may be too busy to intervene ... I think we'll need the Deus Ex Machina for the whole season to rescue Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

But what do Samandans like me who don't drink do? What can we add for flavoring??????

There's always Kool-Aid!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              Just read AT's third interview (posted in Stargate news). She already mentioned in the second interview about how she hoped she would be able to LEAD the team. In this interview, she talks about wanting a storyline with Cassie. I hope the writers take these suggestions to heart.
              I just read it as well and this quote about AT wanting to explore more of Carter's relationships just scares me to death: "More of her relationships -- more of her interpersonal relationships, because I think they define her as a woman and as a soldier, and how she deals with those relationships. There's a lot of loose ends, and they're all relationship driven." I can think of several but other than Cassie the ones that jump to my mind (that are possible) would continue, IMO, to carry this character downward. The word relationship when used in context of this show in general scares me because, IMO, TPTB su*k at writing it. What are these loose ends? I hope she is talking about mature, adult relationships and not some of this cr*p we have seen in the past season and a half but right now I am having trouble thinking of any other than Cassie since Jacob and Janet are gone and, no offense to the J/S shippers, I hope they keep the Jack stuff to a minimum. God, after 2 seasons of focusing on her relationships (and not in a good way, IMO) let's move on already.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

If AT wants to leave, I'll have to respect her decision... but I'll be so... sad! AT is a tremendous bright spot for the show - she's made it so different -and special - from so many other scifi shows.
                I think, in many ways, the character of Sam Carter has become the heart of the show. Amanda has given of herself time and again, each season, to make this woman three-dimensional and enjoyable to watch ... she's taken what could have been a cardboard character and moved her from the realm of scifi comic book to a respected, mature, and intelligent human being.

There is a final transcript being circulated right now from the end-of-S8 interview with AT in which, I believe, she talks about how much more she has grown as a person from having portrayed Sam and integrated some of Sam into Amanda. I don't have the link, but Astro may come up with it soon.

No matter what S9 brings to the screen, the actor, herself, is ready to move forward professionally with, or without, the Stargate franchise. I think AT is one of Canada's national treasures regarding acting ... she is entering a new phase of her life. I'll support her wherever it takes her. I'll always have the DVDs of her best and brightest moments as Sam and that will suffice.

Let's hope for the best about S9, but be mature and realize that we may not get what we want (or what AT may want for the character) either.

I think some of us may take out our frustrations and disappointment with writing some darn good Samfic if that happens. The best revenge is writing well!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                  I just read it as well and this quote about AT wanting to explore more of Carter's relationships just scares me to death: "More of her relationships -- more of her interpersonal relationships, because I think they define her as a woman and as a soldier, and how she deals with those relationships. There's a lot of loose ends, and they're all relationship driven." I can think of several but other than Cassie the ones that jump to my mind (that are possible) would continue, IMO, to carry this character downward. The word relationship when used in context of this show in general scares me because, IMO, TPTB su*k at writing it. What are these loose ends? I hope she is talking about mature, adult relationships and not some of this cr*p we have seen in the past season and a half but right now I am having trouble thinking of any other than Cassie since Jacob and Janet are gone and, no offense to the J/S shippers, I hope they keep the Jack stuff to a minimum. God, after 2 seasons of focusing on her relationships (and not in a good way, IMO) let's move on already.
                  Spoiler:
                  Don't they mention that PDL is considering a Cartercentric episode where she deals with her personal losses ... that could be what AT is alluding to ... dealing with the loss of Janet and Jacob and, unfortunately, probably Pete. That romantic loss could be written maturely but who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Glad ya'll liked it, but if you can listen to the Moxie Fruvous version it's tons funnier.

Here are the lyrics(I can't find the music on the net):

http://www.lyrics.ly/lyrics.php/Moxy...rics/Spiderman
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Spoiler:
                      Don't they mention that PDL is considering a Cartercentric episode where she deals with her personal losses ... that could be what AT is alluding to ... dealing with the loss of Janet and Jacob and, unfortunately, probably Pete. That romantic loss could be written maturely but who knows?

What about Sam's brother? that's an area that has only slightly been touched on and Sam is an
                      Auntie so that could be some of the relationships that Sam could show us in how she
                      is dealing with all that has happened to her.
                      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        yes, it's fairly obvious who they're catering to

whatever

surely the boys that make the show realize that most fans do like a wee bit more than 'just another pretty face' to watch
                        Perhaps "boys" is the key word here.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          and i'm glad it's shown that daniel doesn't have any probs (ego or anything) about a woman being so much more... uh... macho than him. but really, sam has the training and such, so it 'should' be that sam's better at self defense and such.

sally
                          I remember reading a quote from Michael Shanks re: this issue in season one. He had a good sense of humor about it. He said something like "Someone has to be the damsel in distress--and it's Daniel."

Comment

Found this posted on another thread today.....and knew all of you would want to see it! Notice what she says about loose ends, and all of them being "relationship driven." She specifically means Cassie, but if you read between the lines, it's easy to conclude she means Jack too.....and Jacob.

[QUOTE=morjana]Transcription of the third Amanda Tapping Interview from the MGM UK Stargate SG-1 DVD site. This interview was part of the MGM UK site exclusive downloads area, for those fans who have bought the Region 2 DVDs. I don't know if this interview will be on a Season 8 DVD or not. We'll have to wait and hear from Region 2 DVD Season 8 purchasers.

(This interview was filmed on the last day of filming for Season Eight. The interview is conducted in the SGC Gateroom, with Amanda Tapping wearing the blue BDUs (the blue BDU shirt fully buttoned down the front), and Amanda filmed from mid-torso up. Amanda sounds a little congested…for whatever reason I don't know. The interview length is 2 minutes, 35 seconds. Amanda is the only one on camera. Title cards show the topics, and then we see Amanda respond.)

AMANDA TAPPING…ON THE RIVALRY BETWEEN STARGATE AND STARGATE ATLANTIS:

It's sort of weird. We film next door, and we barely see each other. We just know that whenever something goes wrong on our set, we blame Atlantis. So there's that sort of friendly rivalry. You know they got air conditioning, and we didn't. And we went, "Oh, I guess their show is coming back next year, they got the air conditioning " You know, we really had to kvetch a lot to get our air conditioning. Things like that. (laughs) That's terrible. But otherwise, it's all very friendly.

AMANDA TAPPING…ON THE EFFECTS OF WORKING CLOSELY WITH ATLANTIS:

I don't know that it's affected how we shoot our show, or how we…I know that our departments our totally taxed. The art department is doing two shows; and costumes -- you know everyone, even though they're divisions -- they’re spread so thin, I don't know how the crew can keep doing it. So, yeah, it's kooky.

AMANDA TAPPING…ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN HERSELF AND HER SCREEN CHARACTER:

I think in the last two seasons she's come into her own as a woman. Which I actually think I have too. You know, I think it hits you in your thirties, where you're like, "I'm not that little kid anymore, I'm not twenty and I'm not scared and I don't have to necessarily prove myself to every single person that I meet. I'm more comfortable in my own skin and I think part of that is because of playing Sam, and I think Sam's more comfortable because of me. It's this great symbiotic relationship we’ve had. But I think that she's just more accessible. She's more well rounded. And she's easier to be around than she was eight years ago.

AMANDA TAPPING…ON REVISITING OLD STORY LINES:

I want to go back and re-visit Cassie, the young girl that she found on that planet, that Dr. Fraiser adopted. And since Dr. Fraiser has passed away -- what's happened to Cassie? That's something I asked for at the beginning of the season. More of her relationships -- more of her interpersonal relationships, because I think they define her as a woman and as a soldier, and how she deals with those relationships. There's a lot of loose ends, and they're all relationship driven.

AMANDA TAPPING…ON THE SUCCESS IN EUROPE:

In the UK especially, France, Germany -- we're a bit more mainstream than we are here. Here, we're genre specific in our shows -- your comedy, your drama -- your SciFi. And, over there it's a bit more of a blend. I think that's what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              She may have to leave as a matter of professional integrity. Here's what AT had to say about the way Anise was handled in an earlier season (from The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 3 and 4):

Fiercely protective of the show and loathe to proffer any negative thoughts about it, Tapping admits she hasn't always been so enamoured with the producers' and writers' tack regarding women on Stargate SG-1. Displaying the honesty and openness for which she is famed, Tapping begins, "Let me preface this by saying that Vanessa Angel [Anise] is a wonderful, smart woman and was tremendous to work alongside. But I am glad the character of Anise went away. One of the things which has always made me proud about our show is that for so many years we've never resorted to overtly sexual tactics to get people to watch .... I think - and the fans' reaction seemed to bear this out - that to have some of the best and most interesting story lines in our history compromised by having a woman whose body was so stunning it could stop the traffic parading around in skimpy little outfits, was somehow beneath the high standard we had set for ourselves. Vanessa Angel is a bright, intelligent actor. She would have delivered a great performance whatever they clothed her in. We've had lots of beautiful women on the show, but for different reasons. My feeling is that Anise's tiny costumes were a blatant attempt to make the show sexier. I mean, look at the stories we told in the Upgrades/Divide and Conquer arc: O'Neill and Sam finally admit their love for each other, the Tok'ra alliance is strengthened and Martouf dies. There are major things happening in these episodes and I think we sold ourselves short by adding that unnecessary element."

Amanda's own words.
                              Thanks for sharing this with us. And it just confirms what we've heard about AT being very gracious. She's as appalled on behalf of the actress as for the show.

Comment

Fingers crossed this will work. I've gone through a few crashes just to get here!!! Here we go! Not doing so well so far

Pah just cant seem to copy and paste from word with Firefox!

Astro Hope you don't mind if I mail you my Carter/AT stuff!! Sorry about this!!

Comment

Working...
                                X