Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Your daughter is one smart little cookie! Kat... you've been into both the Royal Liquor Cabinet *and* the special stock of Royal Blue Jello! Hmmm... Agent Dark will probaly be speaking with you shortly... Of course, it's not like you don't deserve it for all of your wonderful pics and posts
    But what do Samandans like me who don't drink do? What can we add for flavoring??????

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Okay you all will either be happy with me or find me really annoying...

But the artist in me just couldn't stand seeing that poor anemic jelly bean any longer and had to photoshop it up a bit...

Also, the blue jello, I got rid of the hand and upped the saturation and contrast of the blue...

So...you're either going to want to sling things at me or say thank you (I'm pulling for the second option personally)...

Great photoshopping on both pics, Uber! Love how you cleaned up the edges of the jellybean (laughed at the mental image of an anemic jelly bean) - and the blue jello looks good too. And I think it was McKay's face (not a hand) that you edited out of the edge of the jello pic... and somehow that seems... oh.. fitting?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        But what do Samandans like me who don't drink do? What can we add for flavoring??????

I don't drink either, Uber, so I think the two of us will stick to 'regular' batches of raspberry (?) blue jello (and I have to ask - doesn't it seem like it should be blueberry flavored?)

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          Here's the commentary by Martin Wood and Amanda during the scenes at Felger's house. At the end, what AT is laughing about is the scene when Felger does a spit take, and apparently wanted to do it more than once.

Click here for first audio clip.

Click here for second clip.

NC
          LOL, love this scene and the commentaries. Ok...now post the pictures from the director's cut of this episode... and post the part where Martin is asking AT about Sam's feelings for Felger when AT starts giggling uncontrollably. She's got one of the cutest giggles...I know AT has said before that she doesn't like her laugh, but I always find myself giggling right along with her whenever I watch the commentary. She has an infectious giggle as well as smile.

Kat

Comment

Your daughter is one smart little cookie! Kat... you've been into both the Royal Liquor Cabinet *and* the special stock of Royal Blue Jello! Hmmm... Agent Dark will probaly be speaking with you shortly... Of course, it's not like you don't deserve it for all of your wonderful pics and posts
            Laugh, well it doesn't happen very often. Once or twice a year if I've been really good. But if you are gonna eat blue jello the best way is with a little sumptin sumptin if you know what I mean.

I have to admit, blue anything is really not my favorite when we're talking about food. I've only recently been able to get myself to eat blueberries and that's only because my daughter insists that I buy them and to be a good mommy I snack on them with her. But if Sam and my daughter thinks blue jello is great than who am I to question it right??

Kat

Comment

OK, I'd like to propose a new poll - one just for our thread....
              (hopefully this will be a positive discussion to fend off some of our fears)

How about if we each post
              A List of Things That We'd Like To See for Sam in Season 9?

The rules would be that we have to try and stay 'in canon', 'in character' and with what we think the show might/could actually do. Erm, and in the interest of non-contention, we stay away from any romantic ideas or suggestions.

My ideas would be:

- Sam in charge of SG-1

- Sam competent and smart... showing her astrophysics knowledge and her ability to 'think outside the box'... her ability to think organically and pull ideas together

- Sam in charge offworld

- Sam pulling the sword out of that stone ... and we find out some of what Replicarter was referring to when she said that Sam had 'untapped greatness' inside her (and yeah, I know that she's not in Avalon, so they don't pull the sword out of there in the first episodes - they don't even realize that it can come out - except for the legend... and then Sam pulls it out without realizing that it's going to move... in one of the later episodes that relate back to the first few episodes of the season....

- Sam surviving extreme physical pain and yet perservering to the end

- Sam missed by the SGC in her absence... some of the scientific staff making comments that they miss her presence and assistance and insight and collegiality
              - Sam missed by the gate technicians
              - Sam missed by Daniel and Teal'c
              - The 'gate goes down and while it's being fixed someone comments to the new general that it sure would get done faster if Sam Carter was there

- a storyline or some comments that let us know what happening with Cassie and the Sam-Cassie relationship - it would be cool to find out that Cassie is off at college, but stays with Sam when on breaks
              - a storyline of some comments about how Sam misses Janet

- an AU Sam story (I really like these), but this time Sam is a rough-around-the-edges soldier who never 'got into' her science that much because she fell into 'being one of the guys' as a pilot... She's a tough soldier who's been in trouble for *not* doing things by the book - but she gets the job done, so she's tolerated by the more regulation-minded of her superiors.

- Sam gets to pilot... an X-302... or a new alien spaceship of some sort...

- Sam dealing with Jolinar's legacy... Jolinar's memories... the whole 'schizophrenic thing'... angst at dealing with the depth and weight of some of what Jolinar did... using Goa'uld technology - and the physical and emotional price that it exacts from Sam...

- Sam and Vala working together with Goa'uld tech - Vala coaching Sam with how to use it... but it's not in Sam's character for the use of this tech to be easy for her...

- expanding on the Sam-Orlin relationship... and going somewhere scifi with it... Maybe Orlin gives Sam hints of what Replicarter was referring to with 'untapped greatness' - or maybe Orlin *shows* Sam...

Hmmm... those are just some of my ideas, but I'll stop for now and wait to see what others post.

And the rules are that we have to try and stay 'in canon', 'in character' and with what we think the show might/could actually do. Erm, and in the interest of non-contention, we stay away from any romantic ideas or suggestions.

And I will archive everyone's comments and then post a summary in a week or two (I'll see how fast the responses come in).

Folks can post more than once - I certainly intend to add to my list!
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 23 April 2005, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                BTW, when I saw the picture, I just wanted Sam to show up, and pull the sword out of the stone.
                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                That would be a perfect tribute to the power of a woman! Maybe the sword will remain in the stone until Episode 6 and Sam will do just that!
                Originally posted by Skydiver
                that would be sweet
                It would be so... amazing... if they let Sam pull that sword out of that stone! Replicarter said there was 'untapped greatness' in Sam... maybe that could be a piece of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  I'm not a shipper, but I haven't found the level of S/J discussion on this list to be bothersome. ... it is pertinent to any discussions involving Sam as a character. I would hate to eliminate all discussion of Sam's relationships (potential or otherwise), because that is an important aspect of who and what she is.
                  Though, frankly, I think Carterslave and I are the only ones who really get it. Afterall, Sam is really a closet lesbian, and Janet is her soul mate.
                  Preach, Sister Strix! Although I think I'll spare GateWorld my illustrated thesis in support of your last point, on which we are in 110% agreement. Yeah, I've got it all worked out ... I can even rationalize the whole Pete aberration. (Besides, Carter/Fraiser explains how in 2010, even in screencaps, Sam's got electric chemistry with Janet but no sparkage with Mr. Joe.) But I shan't press the point ...
                  Heck, I started watching SG-1 for the Sam/Jack fireworks, but when I started catching onto the Sam/Janet shippy moments, I knew it was True Love & that I now had a OTP to root for. Besides, I would never want to have to choose between my heroes, Carter & Fraiser. Pair them up—problem solved!
                  Being a 'make love, not war' sort of guy, I wouldn't want to see any ship warfare break out here. (The "Who do you ship for?" forum has taken an ugly turn of late.) Hence, I try to couch most of my SamJan partisanship in a humorous vein. Ship whichever coupling makes you happy and vaya con Dios, caballeros.

Along with adventure, cultural conflict, mythology, gunplay & an exciting vision of the future, what I love about the Stargate series is that they feature capable, smart, funny, compassionate, mature women—not crumpets. Fraiser, Carter, Weir ... they're my kind of ladies.
                  The campy Vala & her tramp du jour outfits are not my bag. The advent of Dr. Rommie is comparably depressing. My big worry is that we're seeing the Maxim-ization of SG-1.
                  The day Amanda Tapping leaves Stargate is the day I stop watching. She's the glue that holds it together, IMO.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

- an AU Sam story (I really like these), but this time Sam is a rough-around-the-edges soldier who never 'got into' her science that much because she fell into 'being one of the guys' as a pilot... She's a tough soldier who's been in trouble for *not* doing things by the book - but she gets the job done, so she's tolerated by the more regulation-minded of her superiors.
                    Yes! That AU Sam is a great idea! Maybe her father was killed in the car crash along with her mother, and that led to a rough upbringing before she joins the Military. Kinda like O'Neill!Sam or Starbuck!Sam Man that would be an awesome episode idea... or maybe a fanfic idea? *hint hint, nudge nudge*

- Sam gets to pilot... an X-302... or a new alien spaceship of some sort...
                    Hell I'd be happy if she was flying a cropduster, but yes - more Pilot!Sam in season9!

I'd like to see some Dark!Sam. RepliCarter knows that Sam has 'untapped greatness' in her, and I'd love to see that lead Sam to do something that maybe shocks everyone around her. Something that's not pretty. I remember a fic on ff.net that was dealing with this, but it turned into another unfinished WIP *sigh*.
                    But I think one of Sky's fics (Natus) might have some Dark!Sam in it... /me hopes

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                      Along with adventure, cultural conflict, mythology, gunplay & an exciting vision of the future, what I love about the Stargate series is that they feature capable, smart, funny, compassionate, mature women—not crumpets. Fraiser, Carter, Weir ... they're my kind of ladies.
                      The campy Vala & her tramp du jour outfits are not my bag. The advent of Dr. Rommie is comparably depressing. My big worry is that we're seeing the Maxim-ization of SG-1.
                      The day Amanda Tapping leaves Stargate is the day I stop watching. She's the glue that holds it together, IMO.
                      Agreed

I'm still hoping that 'Dr. Rommie' will hold up the role that Teryl left. I mean take a look at season8 of SG1, compared to Season1 of Atlantis - Atlantis has a great supporting Doctor role with Beckett, where SG1 had the uninspiring Dr.Whatshername...

TBH, if I had to choose a ship, I'd probably go for Sam/Janet too

Comment

How about if we each post
                        A List of Things That We'd Like To See for Sam in Season 9?

- Sam pulling the sword out of that stone ... and then Sam pulls it out without realizing that it's going to move.
                        - a storyline of some comments about how Sam misses Janet.
                        Tongue-in-cheek is the only way I can do this ...
                        • Sam points out to TPTB that be that Excalibur wasn't the Sword in the Stone but, rather, the sword that King Arthur got from the Lady in the Lake. (Who turns out to be Nirrti—and, oh, they're in big trouble now.) Actually, having somebody pull the sword out by accident would at least be in keeping with the actual Arthurian legend.
                        • Sam misses Janet so much that she figures out how to bring her back from the dead (which should be a snap, considering that death is a relative state of being on Stargate). Taking a page from Hathor, Carter & Fraiser get some guns & chase Vala & Dr. Rommie clear off the planet.
                        • RepliCarter draws & quarters Pete. On a weekly basis.
                        Aren't you glad I don't write for the show?
                        Say, what does a guy have to do around here to get some blue jello?

More Carter Dialogue That We'd Like to Hear: "Uhhh, sir? About last night, Colonel: You were great in bed—almost as good as Janet."

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          I'm still hoping that 'Dr. Rommie' will hold up the role that Teryl left. I mean take a look at S8 of SG1, compared to S1 of Atlantis - Atlantis has a great supporting Doctor role with Beckett, where SG1 had the uninspiring Dr.Whatshername...
                          TBH, if I had to choose a ship, I'd probably go for Sam/Janet too.
                          The Teryl Rothery-for-Dr. Rommie swap is a sore point with me. A lot of people will never forgive TPTB for killing Fraiser & canning Teryl. You can count me among their number. There are numerous actresses who could fill TR's labcoat with distinction but I don't think the lightweight Mrs. Shanks is one of them. Sorry, but I'll stand by Teryl to the bitter end.
                          A little of Beckett ("Aye begorrah, you've gowt the Wrrrrrrrrrraith DNA, wee lassie") goes a long way with me but I see your point, Agent Dark. Fraiser may have been dead but it was Dr. Dimbulb (aka Brightman) who was in rigor mortis. Even Mrs. Shanks will constitute an improvement on Dimbulb, M.D.
                          If you ever decide to ship Sam/Janet, welcome aboard. We're a mellow crew & we steer clear of ship wars.
                          As for your signature pic: BWAH! Sam appears to be thinking, "I'm engaged to that?!?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                            Sorry to bring this down but these new pics and the ep spoilers thus far really are depressing fuel for this already skeptical fire. Not that they focus on Carter or anything but I miss the old SG1 as a whole . . . sigh.
                            I know what you mean! I have this feeling that, for me, when Carter comes back it will feel like a breath of fresh air. At least there is the potential for me to feel this way. At this point, it seems she will be paired with familar faces that I like, such as Barrett and hopefully Orlin. The return of Carter, if done well, is what will ground the show for me. There are so many changes right now, and all the "boys" are excited about it (that is undertandable), but Carter's return will help to link the show back to SG-1's roots as well. And also, if the writers do a good job, Carter will also be well-integrated into the sci-fi stories of season nine. AstroG has already begun great suggestions for how this might be accomplished.

Just read AT's third interview (posted in Stargate news). She already mentioned in the second interview about how she hoped she would be able to LEAD the team. In this interview, she talks about wanting a storyline with Cassie. I hope the writers take these suggestions to heart.

Binkpmmc---By your posts, I know you are disheartened by how Carter has been written since mid-season 7. Well, I think we have such a strong opportunity for Carter to be CONSISTENTLY well written in season nine, as a competent scientist and soldier because shipping (with anyone) should be kept to a minimum, and so the writers can concentrate on the brilliant and kickbutt side of Sam Carter throughout season nine.

Comment

I've read many fan posts ranting about the sexing up of the show with the sleeveless T's... but I didn't find them sexy...it was just bare arms... I also didn't think they looked comfortable - but I may be missing something here.

The show's writers and directors and such have done a wonderful job with Sam's attire. Mostly they let her wear the same clothes as the guys - she is one of the military. I also found her 'civvies' to be generally conservative and in good taste. I thought she looked great in Chimera - and I liked seeing her as a woman (without looking like a hooker or a scifi babe in a revealing alien costume). To be honest, over the scope of the show's 8 seasons, I think they have dressed Sam as a real woman would dress - both on duty in the military and when off duty (and I could be wrong, but I think AT had some influence in how Sam dressed when offduty, such as in Chimera).

Because they were *so* good about how honestly they attired Sam Carter, I would have been ok with a scene where she's in a swimsuit at the beach in San Diego with her brother's family... or some such. Just a few minutes of a scene of her life outside the SGC, but where she's in something that we don't normally see her in.

Now... I have to qualify this with - I am picturing a fairly simple swimsuit -and I am not picturing a Hollywood bombshell bikini or some such.

Because I see Sam/AT as someone who comes across 'real'... I don't think AT would strut or prance around like a model... I can see her as one of my relatives or friends even in a swimsuit.

I think that my posts over the past few months show that I am an ardent Sam Carter fan (ChopinGal is rolling her eyes and chuckling while muttering 'understatement' )... and I tend to be fairly protective of what I see as a fantastic female lead on a scifi show... so I guess I'd say that, right now, I'm comfortable with whatever attire AT is comfortable wearing - if she wants to wear a swimsuit - fine... if she wants to wear a sexy dress (as in Chimera) - that's fine too... so far, it's all looked like stuff we could all buy at a regular store if we wanted to...(we wouldn't have to go to a Hollywood studio and find the scifi-women's-sexy-apparel section).

If they were ever to change the show so that AT was wearing Vala-type clothes (as we can see in the Avalon photo)... or a catsuit like 7 of 9's in Star Trek... then my opinion would change radically.

But for now, I think Sam's attire has been wonderfully 'real'.

(I know that there is some dispute over whether or not the Air Force would actually let them wear the sleeveless T's... but isn't that what they have military advisors for? They made AT cut her hair way back in Season 3 or 4 or so, so surely they wouldn't let the sleeveless T's continue if they didn't think it was reasonable on some level?)

Agreed. I think that they have done a good job making Sam's attire "real", thus far over the entire eight seasons. And this is quite an accomplishment. I wasn't too keen on her leather jacket in Endgame--seemed inappropriate for a stake-out,--- but otherwise her attire has been real, as you say.

On the sleeveless tee issue -- apparently at one con a few months ago, a fan reported that the AF advisor had not seen Carter in a sleeveless tee before and when he saw the episode, Gemini, he said this attire was not appropriate for AF, but I'm sure they also give TPTB a little leeway on things like this. Like I said, however, I didn't mind these tank tops at all---it hardly compares to some of the costumes other women have had to wear on Stargate SG-1!

As far as Vala--hopefully she will be an interesting and complex character such that her costume is not a detractor in general to the storyline. Why is it that the women have to face this issue continually in TV. Notice how Ben Browder doesn't have to deal with any comments like this, but Claudia Black does because they feel compelled to put her in this type of costume. It drives me crazy!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady

LOL - Maybe Vala is responsible for some of the Okefenokee X-files http://www.okefenokee.com/xfiles.htm
                                This is so weird ... I had no idea that aliens were tied in with Okefenokee swamp gas! Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X