No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well if the show gets as silly as i think it will, it'll make it easier to mock

if i can totally lose all respect for it then i really won't care that it's become nothing but boobs, butts and bombs

and i agree with you. if it really is going that way, then i have no issue at all with sam leaving it.

keith hamilton cobb did the same thing. he didn't care for the angle andromeda was taking so he left. and having tried to watch andromeda lately, he was a very smart man

of course, as silly as they make it, it still doesn't change the fact that, thus far we've had almost 8 fantastic seasons of a kick bootie female character. that's one thing tehy can't take away, no matter how many silly ideas and booby costumes they come up with
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Bravo, Ubersg, for your *wonderful* pictorial of our great Sam Carter!!

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

Caption this.

sally
        "The scripts, the scripts ... dear God, the scripts! Is this all the male writers can come up with for my return?!"

Comment

And caption this one.

sally
          "I guess I shouldn't have complained about the scripts ... now they're force feeding me my lines."

Comment

Thanks, ÜberSG, the blue jello's delicious!

*super hugs*

Sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              Yeah the Avenger 2.0 commentry was pretty funny
              can you tell us any of what amanda said? (or what was said about her)

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                I'm currently reading a Non-Fiction book on the "wive-ships" that were sent to British Columbia in the 1800's, transporting women who were to become the wives of the workers, so that they may marry and have children...
                I wonder what would happen if Sg-1 discovered such a civilisation, and Sam somehow got caught up in something like that...
                Jeepers creepers, hasn't the poor woman suffered enough? Emancipation ... Fifth ... Sokar ... losing Jacob, Janet, Martouf, etc. ... and (worst of all) being lumbered with Pete ("the lingering ick").
                As long as we're discussing history, I was just reading about the Chinese emperor who created the terra-cotta army. According to legend, his tomb was surrounded by a lake of liquid mercury. I couldn't help thinking, "This sounds like the setup for a Stargate episode." Paging Dr. Jackson, Dr. Daniel Jackson ...

There have been several excellent critiques of Gemini. But my beef is with the way all the characters were written in that—and in Menace, which had a very similar plot. It was as if TPTB had taken the Stupid Stick & inflicted severe whumpage on SG-1. Both episodes had me yelling at my TV in exasperation as Our Heroes were 'played' in incredibly predictable fashion. "Don't let her near the Disruptor Device; she's going to f*** it up!" But no ....

Some of us don't need to descend to the gutter as that is our natural habitat. For instance ...

Carter Dialogue We'd Like to Hear: "With all due respect, Colonel, the best kisser on the base is Dr. Fraiser."

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                  I have to say that if S9 does not go well and they continue to write Carter they way they have written her the past season and a half (IMO) then I would be happy for AT if she decided to leave the show even if there is a S10 because she would not have to suffer the continued ramifications and the embarrassment of watching what was a once truly enjoyable, well done sci-fi classic go the way of the shark while TPTB and the suits pander to dumbing-down and sexing up the show for that adolescent, w-t-dream crazed demographic.
                  She may have to leave as a matter of professional integrity. Here's what AT had to say about the way Anise was handled in an earlier season (from The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 3 and 4):

Fiercely protective of the show and loathe to proffer any negative thoughts about it, Tapping admits she hasn't always been so enamoured with the producers' and writers' tack regarding women on Stargate SG-1. Displaying the honesty and openness for which she is famed, Tapping begins, "Let me preface this by saying that Vanessa Angel [Anise] is a wonderful, smart woman and was tremendous to work alongside. But I am glad the character of Anise went away. One of the things which has always made me proud about our show is that for so many years we've never resorted to overtly sexual tactics to get people to watch .... I think - and the fans' reaction seemed to bear this out - that to have some of the best and most interesting story lines in our history compromised by having a woman whose body was so stunning it could stop the traffic parading around in skimpy little outfits, was somehow beneath the high standard we had set for ourselves. Vanessa Angel is a bright, intelligent actor. She would have delivered a great performance whatever they clothed her in. We've had lots of beautiful women on the show, but for different reasons. My feeling is that Anise's tiny costumes were a blatant attempt to make the show sexier. I mean, look at the stories we told in the Upgrades/Divide and Conquer arc: O'Neill and Sam finally admit their love for each other, the Tok'ra alliance is strengthened and Martouf dies. There are major things happening in these episodes and I think we sold ourselves short by adding that unnecessary element."

Amanda's own words.
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 April 2005, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave

Carter Dialogue We'd Like to Hear: "With all due respect, Colonel, the best kisser on the base is Dr. Fraiser."

Gotta love the SaGC thread!!

The best part about this thread is that the Sam character is appreciated, with all her strengths and weaknesses, and that there have been so many thoughtful and respectful discussions thus far about so many aspects of Carter---her leadership, her scientific mind, her military kickbutt attitude, her losses, her bravery, her enduring friendships with Teal'c, Daniel, Janet, Hammond and Jack, her relationships with aliens, her familial relationships with Jacob and Cassie, her defining moments, and yes, her "shipping" or "lack of shipping" with other characters, to name a few. I really enjoy reading everyone's ideas about how Sam has progressed thus far, and what others want to see for her in the future. Thanks for all the great discussions thus far--can't wait until we are able to discuss Sam when she comes back in season nine!!

Thanks to AstroG for putting together a wonderful summary of comments with pics. I was "floored" once again. And to everyone who posts so many great pics/screen caps, etc....

I also like people's sense of humor on this thread! I have laughed out loud a number of times.

Now I should attend to the important matter of picking out an avatar soon. I'm a bit slow at these things (in case anyone noticed) . Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Caption this.

sally
                      no one's done this one yet, so i'll do it.

jack: "so what do you think, carter?"

sam: "i don't know, sir... daniel teaching teal'c the tango.... "

jack: "yeah, scarey as when anise screamed and looked down when we asked her if her silicon was leaking."

sam: "didn't daniel actually say 'the silk you're wearing is lovely?"

jack: "yeah... with a little help from me."

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        I don't know about that. I was watching Zero Hour last night and my my my... Teal'c was looking mighty fine and that warm smile he gave Sam. I think in season 1 or 2 I may have wanted Sam to hook up with Daniel more, but now... if a particular man doesn't get his act together I could seriously see her getting all cozy with a certain Jaffa.

Heads out in search of the Sam/Teal'c thread... *cackle*

Kat
                        Nice pic.... Chocolate and Honey. Yum!
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

i agree with amanda. that's what drew me to stargate, the face that sam was simply a co-worker. she wasn't there to be rescued every week, or put there to loook pretty. she was there, in the thick of things, getting dirty, saving their tushes, getting hers saved...she was a friend and co-worker first and her real sex appeal was the simple fact that she's a good looking woman.

if the show really is headed the way it appears, then i can see amanda going to the writers and telling them to finish up sam's storyline and to write her out.

i know nothing about her life goals and other issues, but i would imagine that she doesn't necessarily need this job anymore. she is well liked and respected among the vancouver industry and should have no problem getting more work. not to mention having the ability to participate in the con circuit.

i would imagine also, and i am not trying to pry, that if she and alan wish to give olivia a little brother or sister, then next year would be the perfect time and she very well may wish to just leave and let the show head down the path it seems to be going

and, as much as i would miss her and Sam, i'd rather she quit while she still respects her job than stay for the sake of staying.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i agree with amanda. that's what drew me to stargate, the face that sam was simply a co-worker. she wasn't there to be rescued every week, or put there to loook pretty. she was there, in the thick of things, getting dirty, saving their tushes, getting hers saved...she was a friend and co-worker first and her real sex appeal was the simple fact that she's a good looking woman.

if the show really is headed the way it appears, then i can see amanda going to the writers and telling them to finish up sam's storyline and to write her out.

i know nothing about her life goals and other issues, but i would imagine that she doesn't necessarily need this job anymore. she is well liked and respected among the vancouver industry and should have no problem getting more work. not to mention having the ability to participate in the con circuit.

i would imagine also, and i am not trying to pry, that if she and alan wish to give olivia a little brother or sister, then next year would be the perfect time and she very well may wish to just leave and let the show head down the path it seems to be going

and, as much as i would miss her and Sam, i'd rather she quit while she still respects her job than stay for the sake of staying.
                            This is just me, but I hate it when people make sweeping statements like "I'll never watch the show again...yadda yadda" It just seems like such a downer since we really don't know where they're going with things. So what I'm about to type will more than likely seem incredibly hypocritical...

However in this case, I can say categorically, if AT leaves the show and with RDA already gone, I honestly do not think there will be anything left to hold my attention. I might catch an ep now and then out of curiosity...but I honestly don't care enough about just Daniel and Teal'c to stick around.

I know this is just speculation based on the picture and AT's previous comments so don't worry...I'm not going off the deep end just yet. But I find the very thought of AT leaving disturbing.

I hope that TPTB come to their senses (if we're right about things) or honestly, they can kiss the show goodbye.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              She may have to leave as a matter of professional integrity. Here's what AT had to say about the way Anise was handled in an earlier season (from The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 3 and 4):

Fiercely protective of the show and loathe to proffer any negative thoughts about it, Tapping admits she hasn't always been so enamoured with the producers' and writers' tack regarding women on Stargate SG-1. Displaying the honestly and openness for which she is famed, Tapping begins, "Let me preface this by saying that Vanessa Angel [Anise] is a wonderful, smart woman and was tremendous to work alongside. But I am glad the character of Anise went away. One of the things which has always made me proud about our show is that for so many years we've never resorted to overtly sexual tactics to get people to watch .... I think - and the fans' reaction seemed to bear this out - that to have some of the best and most interesting story lines in our history compromised by having a woman whose body was so stunning it could stop the traffic parading around in skimpy little outfits, was somehow beneath the high standard we had set for ourselves. Vanessa Angel is a bright, intelligent actor. She would have delivered a great performance whatever they clothed her in. We've had lots of beautiful women on the show, but for different reasons. My feeling is that Anise's tiny costumes were a blatant attempt to make the show sexier. I mean, look at the stories we told in the Upgrades/Divide and Conquer arc: O'Neill and Sam finally admit their love for each other, the Tok'ra alliance is strengthened and Martouf dies. There are major things happening in these episodes and I think we sold ourselves short by adding that unnecessary element."

Amanda's own words.

I had no idea that Amanda said this about Anise. I wonder what she will think about the Vala character? I disliked how Vala was written in Prometheus Unbound (because of the combination of violence and sexual innuendo---definitely not letting my six year old watch it), but I do like Claudia Black. Sadly, we may see a similar thing going on in the beginning of season nine where the storylines may be good, but they sell themselves short by having Vala dressed in this way unnecessarily. I am hoping that Vala is written in a much more mature and complex way (and less male fantasy way).

I wonder what Amanda thinks about how she had to wear the sleeveless tee for some of season eight's episodes even though it is not regulation. Don't get me wrong --- she looked great and it did not detract from the show, but it was really to sex up the show (Teal'c too wore them). I have to say, though, after seeing Vala, the sexing up of Sam is quite tame! And boy, they could really "exploit" the natural beauty of AT, but fortunately they have not gone down that road with Sam Carter. Sam is quite attractive without having to sex her up.

Comment

can you tell us any of what amanda said? (or what was said about her)

sally
                                Here's the commentary by Martin Wood and Amanda during the scenes at Felger's house. At the end, what AT is laughing about is the scene when Felger does a spit take, and apparently wanted to do it more than once.

Click here for first audio clip.

Click here for second clip.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X