Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    Don't let those few negative comments get you down! Not worth it.

I am kind of amazed about the many diverse demands on the Sam character by the fans. The demands on what people want to see for her are much greater and vary by different groups of fans than on the other three main characters, IMO. Some want her to be just a member of the team, secondary to Jack and Daniel; some want her to be only the scientific Sam; some are tired of only scientific technobabble Sam; some want her to be with Jack; some don't want her to be with Jack; some want her to be with someone else--filll in many blanks; some want her to interact with Mckay, some with Ba'al, etc.; some want her to be tender and show the softer side; some want her to be tougher and not so "girly," etc, etc, etc.

And of course, most importantly, a large fanbase want her to be the kickass, competent, military lt. colonel SG-1 leader, who is also an extremely brilliant astrophysicst ----and none of these are totally mutually exclusive (except I guess the ships aspect). As a result of all these diverse and sometimes conflicting demands, she is an easier target for criticism. I don't see as many demands for the Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c characters in the fanbase.

I am okay with the spoilers so far. I like Sam working with Barrett---always have. I think they make a good working team. I liked the interesting interaction between Sam and Ba'al in Reckoning, so having Ba'al back in an episode could be really good. And I liked Orlin and Sam. I'm like Majorsal---I'm glad to see spoilers about Sam at all!! She may not be central to the stories for awhile, but it sounds like she may play an important role in some of the episodes, even in the first half. Then I think there is much greater potential for Sam to be more prominent in the second half of season 9, given the support it seems AT and Olivia will receive on the set, but of course I really don't know.

Now we just need to know where Sam has gone far far away---what is she doing, and why does she come back to eventually join the team?

It is difficult to tell if she comes back in episode 6 (Order) to the storylines--- there is little information on this episode so far, or is it in episode 7 when she returns to the SGC.

As long as the writing is good---Sam is written as competent and resourceful, and as a leader in a consistent fashion as she should be written, I will be happy.
    Agreed.

I don't think I'm upset about her character though or even where they could take her...I think what upsets me sometimes (and apparently today was one of those times) is how some people perceive her as weak simply because she has the same emotional conflicts as the rest of us, or that she's pathetic because she has feelings for someone and she's not really very good at communicating them...

I agressively defend her character as best I can and look forward to her leadership in Season 9.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Agreed.

I don't think I'm upset about her character though or even where they could take her...I think what upsets me sometimes (and apparently today was one of those times) is how some people perceive her as weak simply because she has the same emotional conflicts as the rest of us, or that she's pathetic because she has feelings for someone and she's not really very good at communicating them...

I agressively defend her character as best I can and look forward to her leadership in Season 9.

ya know, sam is sorta doomed no matter what she does

she doesn't have any weaknesses, then she's 'super sam' and totally unbelievable and made fun of for her lack of weaknesses

then she's given some. she's made human and falliable and she's bagged on for that

like dudes, cut her some slack.
      other characters are always given the benefit of the doubt and their faults are looked upon as a sign of cuteness or an endearing quality. so let's do the same for sam
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Agreed.

Right. It upsets me too, because I don't see her as weak at all for having emotional conflicts. I actually think Sam has been and continues to be quite admirable in showing restraint in terms of a relationship with Jack. They both know that staying on the team is way more important than their feelings for each other. I also think in the end, she did the right thing with Pete---she called it off because she knew it would not work and she would hurt Pete in the long run much more by going through with a wedding. She also called it off BEFORE she knew what had happened with Jack and Kerry. She made that decision independent of this other relationship, and that was good. The emotional conflicts that she wrestles with make her much more human to me as well. You have articulated this point well on this thread.

Perhaps a bit of a double standard going on here for Sam, compared to the guys. Her behavior is scrutinized much more severely by some fans than the behavior of the guys. Daniel gets all smitten with a woman not long after the death of his wife? Teal'c sleeps with his neighbor, even though he still has thing for Ishta? Jack for the life of him can't just take Sam aside and just simply talk about his feelings (whatever they are)? Just to name a few. But men aren't "weak" when they have emotional conflicts. Mmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          ya know, sam is sorta doomed no matter what she does

she doesn't have any weaknesses, then she's 'super sam' and totally unbelievable and made fun of for her lack of weaknesses

then she's given some. she's made human and falliable and she's bagged on for that

like dudes, cut her some slack.
          other characters are always given the benefit of the doubt and their faults are looked upon as a sign of cuteness or an endearing quality. so let's do the same for sam
          Like I couldn't have said it better myself man. RIGHT ON DUDE!

She's a great character BECAUSE she's a super soldier/brilliant theoretical astrophysicist/strong team leader as well as a loving daughter/good friend/awkward with romantic relationships...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

that's how i see sam and jack too. i don't see thier restraint as weak or pining

i see it as two people who are putting the greater good before thier own desires (pun intended). they both know that steps need to be taken for them to pursue it further, yet they both also know that theyr'e not ready/willing to take those steps, so they acknowledge and set boundaries that permit them to do their jobs without cheating or lying

in the day and age of 'gimme what i want yesterday' i find it refreshing to see two characters behaving with restraint and honor

I also think that it's an accurate representation of two wounded people who cherish thier friendship so much they're afraid to mess it up with that pesky sex/relationship bit. bothof them know that once they go down that road, they can't go back. so they want to be dang sure that they're ready to take that trip
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              that's how i see sam and jack too. i don't see thier restraint as weak or pining

i see it as two people who are putting the greater good before thier own desires (pun intended). they both know that steps need to be taken for them to pursue it further, yet they both also know that theyr'e not ready/willing to take those steps, so they acknowledge and set boundaries that permit them to do their jobs without cheating or lying

in the day and age of 'gimme what i want yesterday' i find it refreshing to see two characters behaving with restraint and honor

I also think that it's an accurate representation of two wounded people who cherish thier friendship so much they're afraid to mess it up with that pesky sex/relationship bit. bothof them know that once they go down that road, they can't go back. so they want to be dang sure that they're ready to take that trip

Completely agree. You stated it so well. I was thinking of them being honorable as well, and they do indeed cherish their friendship.

Comment

Meandering back to the Favorite Sam Pic topic
                This is one of my all-time favorite team pics.

Comment

When the title of the episode 'Threads' came out, there was speculation, on the forum, as to the possibilities that the title referred to forum 'threads'... And now one of the Season 9 episodes is titled 'The Powers That Be' ... What do you folks think of that?

I think it pays homage to the fans on the internet, and those who write letters, by pointing out that the fans are heard. I also see it as more of the humor that permeates the Stargate set... I wonder if the writers, directors and producers sometimes walk around and mockingly call each other The Powers That Be?
                  Last edited by astrogeologist; 17 April 2005, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    It occurs to me that we may be getting ourselves all upset over nothing. What do we really know? Not much: the names of a few possible guest stars in S9, who's joining the team, that Amanda probably won't be back until 907 (Olivia arrived late) and that RDA won't be a series regular. We also think that Arthurian legend will play a role in this season's developments.

That's all we really REALLY know. I've been a journalist for more than 20 years, and I know better than to deal in speculation, because it's usually WRONG. Beyond that, we're driving ourselves crazy with speculation on what might be, and I have a feeling TPTB are sitting around laughing at us because of it! It's their job to keep us guessing and upset, so we don't go out to dinner on season premiere night.

I'm just going to have to step back, take a deep breath and not worry about all these negative scenarios. As I said earlier today, July is 10 long, LONG weeks away, and we probably won't know nearly enough til then.
                    Greetings all - okay I have not read all the posts for the last few days - the internet connect here at the hotel tonight is slower than my dial-up at home. If you have been reading any of the stuff posted by others here at the Con in Vancouver then you may already know this but here are a couple of things said by Martin Wood, Andy Mikta, & N. John Smith today.

Here are a couple of spoilers [spoiler] We also think that Arthurian legend will play a role in this season's developments. Well that would be a definite YES! Andy directed the session opener which was to be 2 parts and is now 3 parts - with enough extra footage to maybe make it a 4 parter. Be worned bigger spoiler next
                    Merlin is an ancient[/spolier]

Christopher Judge had this to say about S9
                    Spoiler:
                    We get to be expolorer again and go through the Gate more - S9 is going to be AWESOME - he wanted to get this point across so much that he said it a couple of times and then at the end stood up from the Directors chairs that he & Michael had been sitting in crossed to the edge of the stage and said it again - You could really tell that both he and Michael are excited about this new season.

As to when Amanda will be back
                    Spoiler:
                    they start shooting next week the first episode that Amanda will be in upon her return - they will be doing as much of it as they can without her and then when she is back they will film her scenes - from the sounds of it although no one came right out and said it - she will be back in a couple of weeks ready to film.

Okay that is it for tonight but I will post more later.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

--> There are lots of other ramifications to having Sam Tokra'd, but another of the worst would be that she just wouldn't be *Sam*! And I really like Sam!

I could say more, but I'm reaching the post-size limit, so I'll stop for now...

((((astro))))

i really, really, really don't think they're going to go this route with sam. if this did happen, her 'not being sam anymore' would be the biggest blow for me too. half her mind and soul would be of a tok'ra. i'd hate it too. BUT, it ain't going to happen. i'm 99.99 percent sure of this.

sally

ps - thank for the blue jello.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

i love this pic. cute smile.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

She's a great character BECAUSE she's a super soldier/brilliant theoretical astrophysicist/strong team leader as well as a loving daughter/good friend/awkward with romantic relationships...
                          Nicely worded, Über

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            ((((astro))))

i really, really, really don't think they're going to go this route with sam. if this did happen, her 'not being sam anymore' would be the biggest blow for me too. half her mind and soul would be of a tok'ra. i'd hate it too. BUT, it ain't going to happen. i'm 99.99 percent sure of this.
                            Thanks, Sally! That's what I need to hear .

And- love your new avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              And- love your new avatar!
                              Hehe, so do I and (I say this in the manliest way possible) she looks kinda cute in that pic...

Comment

And a few more of my all-time favorite Sam pics:

Comment

Working...
                                X