Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    Gateworld posted some information about a mid-season 2 parter with some news which could involve Sam in a very interesting way. Here's the link, but be aware that there are spoilers. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...isthefou.shtml

Spoiler:
    Orlin will be back if Sean Patrick Flannery is available! I'm looking forward to seeing how Sam deals with him this time.

NC
    A 2-parter with Orlin sounds very promising - I liked him in Ascencion and I liked the interaction between him and Sam. Thanks for the link to the info, NC!
    Originally posted by binkpmmc
    hopefully, because of her past with Orlin, Carter plays a significant role and is the strong, kick-a$$ leader we all expect, and, who once again, helps saves the world from disaster.
    Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      ...you know I figured out one of the real reasons I loved this particular episode so much...

I think this foreshadows Season 9 and gave us a real glimpse of Sam in command. And it's kind of funny...but I got a little irritated at how Sam kinda drifted off into the background when Jack arrived. Not that she was a wallflower or anything - she was STILL Sam - but she wasn't as snarky and agressive.

So I really look forward to the chance to see her in Season 9 as a strong team leader...like we got to see more of in IGTBK (and not so much of in the rest of Season 8).

All I can say is... you deserve some blue jello...

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
        I started watched SG1 because I loved the movie. I also remember RDA from the 80's and like him too. But the moment Samantha Carter walked into that briefing room, I was hooked. A strong female lead, beautiful, smart, and serious, I was wide-eyed! I'm in my 60's now and was never one for women's rights, but she really made me think. What a great role model for todays women. My daughters turned out a lot like the Sam character and I'm thrilled and surprised. I never encourgaged them to be so independent but I'm really proud of them. Go Carter!
        Welcome aboard, Dmovies!

Comment

Here's a question for you all to ponder...

Despite the fact that she almost died a few times in Space Race, it was pretty clear she had a good time and as of the end of the show, wanted to do it again.

Will she have the chance to participate in another Loop of Kon Garat? Now I don't mean another episode dedicated to the topic (unless they could come up with a really good plot twist or two), but will it be alluded to in conversation that she would be going?

Or maybe they'll slip in to a conversation that she had just won it? Sam could say something like "Well thankfully there weren't as many cheaters as there were last time..."

I really enjoyed Space Race...we got to see Sam outside of the team mix but still being the scientist/hero.

Plus we also got to see her teasing Teal'c, which was of course fun. I hope we get to see them more together; I really enjoy the chemistry between the two of them...the respect, the love, the friendship, the loyalty...
          Originally posted by jckfan55
          Possibly, but please not a whole episode. A reference might be fun.
          Daniel: "Boy Sam, you've really been jazzed since you got back."
          Sam: "Wouldn't you be if you had just won the Loop of Kon Garat--fair and square?"
          I agree - that would make a great side conversation in an episode.... something just along the lines of what you stated...maybe they'll slip in to a conversation that she had just won it? Sam could say something like "Well thankfully there weren't as many cheaters as there were last time..." That would be perfect... building great character development and backstory while not detracting from the new episode's storyline. Personally, I liked 'Space Race' and wouldn't mind another episode with Sam doing the race again (sans the annoying glitzy commentary ), but I think a comment like you proposed would be more feasible.

Great idea, Über and JckFan55!
          More Blue Jello!

Comment

But as I've said ad infinitum on this thread, I still want to see Sam the team leader...the Sam from the first half of IGTBK.

Great post, Uber - thoughtful and considerate. You brought up many of the things that I've been wondering about... and you managed to stay mostly positive (which I am having trouble doing, so I'll hang onto your coattails for awhile ).

Love the pics you added at the end. Also noticed that there is another pic of Sam and Teal'c!

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelWilliams
              hey i've only posted a couple of times on this thread, but does anybody know if/when AT will be at any gatecons (i know it will be a while due to maternity leave)
              thanx
              -colonelwilliams
              i know that she's committed to going to GABIT con, which will be in the uk this fall/next spring - they were waiting for amanda to say when she wanted it to be since, it's my understanding, they're going to try and schedule the con to fit her schedule and she wouldn' t commit unti after olivia's birth

as to gatecon or any others, i honestly don't know. if she's coming, trust me, you'll hear about it
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Oh yeah, I second that - especially the 'Fini', 'Primordium' and 'Natus' series. Awesome end-of-the-world/dark fic
                i actually started to write fini from a challenge. up to that point, i'd always put my toys away, meaning that i'd always try to keep my fic within canon, or what was reasonable to be canon, and never did anything permnant to my characters.

heck, when i had sam and teal'c 'get it on' i did it during one of the time loops so that it 'didn't happen'

then adi challaneged me to write something where there was no reset switch.
                she and i conspired on fini, primiordium then nantus and, honestly, it's a 100% divergent universe.

it was the first time i did that, although i did it again with Perdition. for a while i was on a sam/hathor kick for some reason

The one i just finished, i'm not sure if i'm going to put it on the net or think about holding it back for this fall adn see if Fandy open their subs again. It's a take off of Moebius 2 and deals with Daniel, geek sam, au Jack, au Teal'c and...well other things.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  Great post, Uber - thoughtful and considerate. You brought up many of the things that I've been wondering about... and you managed to stay mostly positive (which I am having trouble doing, so I'll hang onto your coattails for awhile ).

Love the pics you added at the end. Also noticed that there is another pic of Sam and Teal'c!
                  I don't know where I'd go to post if I didn't have this thread...

There are some negative people posting doomsday scenarios on another thread I frequent...that Sam's weak, stalking her CO, pathetically going to deal with her past rejects with stud stars of the week...and frankly, that kind of talk is depressing.

I don't see it that way at all. I don't think she stalked Jack...I think she popped in on him unexpectedly in Threads...but that's not stalking.

I don't think she's a weak character (duh) and I don't think she'll date every guy that comes through the Chapp'ai!

Whoops. I am sorry, Master AstroG. I have revealed myself and failed our lord Apophis's challenge. You must execute me for the remainder of the day.

Last edited by Uber; 17 April 2005, 04:57 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I personally don't see any reason why sam wouldn't be the first choice for the leader of SG-1. She has proven herself for 8 years as a capable soldier and leader, and she has alot of experience of actually exploring through the gate. For what logical reason would Sam be replaced by a pilot who is new to gate travel at the head of the SGC's flagship team? sorry if someone has already posted this or if i'm leaving out some factor.

-ColonelWilliams
                    Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelWilliams
                      I personally don't see any reason why sam wouldn't be the first choice for the leader of SG-1. She has proven herself for 8 years as a capable soldier and leader, and she has alot of experience of actually exploring through the gate. For what logical reason would Sam be replaced by a pilot who is new to gate travel at the head of the SGC's flagship team? sorry if someone has already posted this or if i'm leaving out some factor.

-ColonelWilliams
                      I think mostly just speculation...I personally think TPTB would have to be stupid to remove her from command so quickly...

Now, I've said earlier that they might make that a sub plot of Sam's returning...perhaps some sort of conflict with the new SGC CO who maybe wants Mitchell and is compelled to keep Sam...again, though, that's just speculation.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

It occurs to me that we may be getting ourselves all upset over nothing. What do we really know? Not much: the names of a few possible guest stars in S9, who's joining the team, that Amanda probably won't be back until 907 (Olivia arrived late) and that RDA won't be a series regular. We also think that Arthurian legend will play a role in this season's developments.

That's all we really REALLY know. I've been a journalist for more than 20 years, and I know better than to deal in speculation, because it's usually WRONG. Beyond that, we're driving ourselves crazy with speculation on what might be, and I have a feeling TPTB are sitting around laughing at us because of it! It's their job to keep us guessing and upset, so we don't go out to dinner on season premiere night.

I'm just going to have to step back, take a deep breath and not worry about all these negative scenarios. As I said earlier today, July is 10 long, LONG weeks away, and we probably won't know nearly enough til then.

Comment

I don't know where I'd go to post if I didn't have this thread...

There are some negative people posting doomsday scenarios on another thread I frequent...that Sam's weak, stalking her CO, pathetically going to deal with her past rejects with stud stars of the week...and frankly, that kind of talk is depressing.

I don't see it that way at all. I don't think she stalked Jack...I think she popped in on him unexpectedly in Threads...but that's not stalking.

I don't think she's a weak character (duh) and I don't think she'll date every guy that comes through the Chapp'ai!

Whoops. I am sorry, Master AstroG. I have revealed myself and failed our lord Apophis's challenge. You must execute me for the remainder of the day.

Don't let those few negative comments get you down! Not worth it.

I am kind of amazed about the many diverse demands on the Sam character by the fans. The demands on what people want to see for her are much greater and vary by different groups of fans than on the other three main characters, IMO. Some want her to be just a member of the team, secondary to Jack and Daniel; some want her to be only the scientific Sam; some are tired of only scientific technobabble Sam; some want her to be with Jack; some don't want her to be with Jack; some want her to be with someone else--filll in many blanks; some want her to interact with Mckay, some with Ba'al, etc.; some want her to be tender and show the softer side; some want her to be tougher and not so "girly," etc, etc, etc.

And of course, most importantly, a large fanbase want her to be the kickass, competent, military lt. colonel SG-1 leader, who is also an extremely brilliant astrophysicst ----and none of these are totally mutually exclusive (except I guess the ships aspect). As a result of all these diverse and sometimes conflicting demands, she is an easier target for criticism. I don't see as many demands for the Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c characters in the fanbase.

I am okay with the spoilers so far. I like Sam working with Barrett---always have. I think they make a good working team. I liked the interesting interaction between Sam and Ba'al in Reckoning, so having Ba'al back in an episode could be really good. And I liked Orlin and Sam. I'm like Majorsal---I'm glad to see spoilers about Sam at all!! She may not be central to the stories for awhile, but it sounds like she may play an important role in some of the episodes, even in the first half. Then I think there is much greater potential for Sam to be more prominent in the second half of season 9, given the support it seems AT and Olivia will receive on the set, but of course I really don't know.

Now we just need to know where Sam has gone far far away---what is she doing, and why does she come back to eventually join the team?

It is difficult to tell if she comes back in episode 6 (Order) to the storylines--- there is little information on this episode so far, or is it in episode 7 when she returns to the SGC.

As long as the writing is good---Sam is written as competent and resourceful, and as a leader in a consistent fashion as she should be written, I will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                            It occurs to me that we may be getting ourselves all upset over nothing. What do we really know? Not much: the names of a few possible guest stars in S9, who's joining the team, that Amanda probably won't be back until 907 (Olivia arrived late) and that RDA won't be a series regular. We also think that Arthurian legend will play a role in this season's developments.

That's all we really REALLY know. I've been a journalist for more than 20 years, and I know better than to deal in speculation, because it's usually WRONG. Beyond that, we're driving ourselves crazy with speculation on what might be, and I have a feeling TPTB are sitting around laughing at us because of it! It's their job to keep us guessing and upset, so we don't go out to dinner on season premiere night.

I'm just going to have to step back, take a deep breath and not worry about all these negative scenarios. As I said earlier today, July is 10 long, LONG weeks away, and we probably won't know nearly enough til then.
                            You're right, of course. It's easy to speculate and flip out...but for all we know, some of the teasers might just be a smoke screen to completely throw us off the scent...

July is FOREVER away...I hate this part. The waiting is enough to drive one wacko.

Did you get the email I sent you this afternoon sg-1fanintn?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

Well said, sg-1fanintn!! We really don't know much thus far. And I'm really glad Sam is coming back!!!, even though I have to wait until the seventh episode.

Comment

at the end of the day, the writers do what they do.

and we, as viewers, have two choices

watch
                                turn it off

we do also have a kinda 3rd option.....write/read fanfic and 'fix' it to be how we want it

but we do have to remember that they're making this show, not us. Now, i'm not shy about saying if they do something that i don't like. I do respect thier job, but if i don't enjoy it, i'll say so. and if i do like it, i will also say so

but at no point in time to i ever humor the idea that they give a fig what I want

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X