No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't see it Astrogeologist - TPTB cannot be that dumb to take a central character that has a very wide swath of fans and make such a radical change in Season 9. They know many fans expect the competent SAM CARTER, leader of SG1, to return and this would alienate as many fans as may be alienated if they don't have her in command. Both of these storylines would be slaps to Carter and to the fans so I just cannot see it happening. (I say this because making Carter a Tok'ra would just be an easy/cowardly way out for TPTB (as would leaving BB1 in charge of the team upon her return) and I really hope they do not take the easy, cowardly way out.)

I have seen absolutely nothing that would make me think this - what made you think it? Did I miss something or is it just that you are less than trustful of TPTB (as am I) and think they could do something this drastically stupid? I sometimes let my doubts about TPTB (and their apparent inability to handle Carter in a mature and deserving way anymore) creep in and make me doubt that they will do the right thing by Carter in S9, so I know how you feel if that is it - again though this just seems to much of a 180 turn and would be a very bad move.

Also, there has been so little said about the Tok'ra playing any major role in S9 it would not make sense - we have the ancients, the Orii, the rebel Jaffa Nation, the arthurian legend, etc., so there does not seem to be much in the way of room for the Tok'ra in a major story arc at all so it would be a waste to do this to Carter. It was fine for a recurring character like Jacob who did not play a central role on the team and was not in every episode since the Tok'ra were not, and do not seem to be in the future, an arc in every episode. In my mind, if they were going to do this to a main, core character (who is slated to be in 15 episodes and is a main character with a huge fan base and fan appeal), than the Tok'ra would have to play a pretty major role in S9 and it seems they have been diluting that arc for the past few seasons and setting them up to go the way of Frasier, Hammond, Apophis, etc.

Wasn't it in Tok'ra 1 or 2, when O'Neill thought Carter might volunteer to be Tokr'a'd, that he said she had said she never wanted to go through that again so to do it to the character now would also just be another HUGE plot hole that made no sense in terms of continuity or character base. So in addition to being a stupid, cowardly move it woud also make no sense in terms of the "reality" of the show and the Carter character.

Finally, I will try and remain as optimistic as UberSG-1Fan was in a post a few pages back, and say that the comment someone made at the CON about people thinking they know what is going on and that they will be really "floored" when they see what is going on means that for all of us who DOUBT Carter will be in charge, and for everyone who is assuming BB1 will remain team leader, - lookout because Carter IS going to be in charge (but that is only ONE of the things we are all wrong about. I bet one of the other things is the arthurian legend stuff - that did not seem to be such a big hit when it was first announced and there seemed to be a lot of speculation about it so I bet that is one of the things alluded to as well - everyone who thinks they know what will happen with the Arthurian legend will be floored by what they really see.)

How about all of that Astrogeologist - did it help to allay your concerns any - even a little? I tried I really did.

Comment

Gateworld posted some information about a mid-season 2 parter with some news which could involve Sam in a very interesting way. Here's the link, but be aware that there are spoilers. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...isthefou.shtml

Spoiler:
      Orlin will be back if Sean Patrick Flannery is available! I'm looking forward to seeing how Sam deals with him this time.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        Evening all - Just wanted to drop in for a few minutes before I head off to bed. Rainbow Francks just left the hotel (he was at the GW dinner tonight and then came over to the hotel and hung out for awhile). At the GW dinner tonight they had a drawing for somethings that Creation donated alog with hats & shirts from Atlantis that Martin Geo gave David & Darren - They had enough items for everyone to get something - well my number was the last draw and I got an Atlantis Hat & an autographed Amanda Tapping Photo

Dan Shea said today that Amanda had been on the set this last week with Olivia.

Well the bus for the set tour leaves at 8:00 in the morning so I had better head off to bed and get some sleep.

YAAAAAY!

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          OK, folks, I'm trying *really* hard to see the up-side of things... and trying *really* hard not to be cynical or depressed... but the more I hear of Season 9, the more I really think they are going to Tokrafy Sam. It's this feeling in the pit of my stomach along with all of the tidbit spoilers.

I don't want them to Tokrafy Sam because, in many ways, we would 'lose' our Sam... she would become 'Sam and TokraX'... at all times, TokraX is also present, not just our Sam.

And after a more than a season of shows that established 'insecure Sam' and did not establish Sam as a competent leader... where our Sam made mistakes and showed vulnerabilties and dealt with personal issues... I was hoping for Season 9 to tip the scales back the other way - back towards Sam's competence. But if there's a Tokra 'on-board', then it's as if our Sam wasn't enough... as if she couldn't handle it. I want to see *Sam* kick RepliCarter's ass... not 'Sam and TokraX'.

I'll also be pissed if they Tokrafy Sam because it will not give us the chance to just see Sam lead the troops. I want to see the woman lead competently and securely and have the confidence of her subordinates to work with. But if they Tokrafy Sam, then it's as if Sam, the female officer, wasn't enough. Men like Jack and Mitchell can lead....

OK... I am pretty down about this -- I need you folks to cheer me up -- tell me that I'm crazy and that I'm absolutely wrong - tell me that they are *not* going to Tokrafy Sam. Help! You did it once before, a few weeks ago, and I decided that I must be wrong... and I was much happier for awhile... but now my doubts are creeping back in and have taken seige.

I *so* want to see Sam dealing with the ramifications of Gemini and Jolinar's legacy.. and leading SG-1... and I so do *not* want to see her Tokrafied and turned into 'Sam and TokraX'. (And in my worst nightmares, the Tokra is Anise... shudder).

Help!
          where is this coming from, astro? i'm reading the spoilers (okay, only looking for sam and sam/jack stuff), but i haven't read anything anywhere to give the impression sam's going to take a tok'ra symbiote. if you 'have' read this somewhere, please tell me where and what.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

The one thing that concerns me above all else these days is that the show still seems to be focused on earth. Personally, for me, the earth based eps are boring and they have spent waaaay too much time on earth in the last 2 seasons - this show needs to go back to its roots and I hope that they do. However, with a mid-season cliff-hanger focused on earth (plus Ba'al on earth from the Seth retread) I do not hold out much hope for many off-world adventures except, it appears, to the new Jaffa nation world since it seems so many of the eps have that link in the spoilers thus far (I guess it's cheaper to make up a planet and then just keep going back to that same one). I really thought that with RDA being out now they would go back to getting off-world since they did not have to cater to his schedule - oh well . . . perhaps just another disappointment to add to the books - we'll see.

Bringing this back on topic - hopefully, because of her past with Orlin, Carter plays a significant role and is the strong, kick-a$$ leader we all expect, and, who once again, helps saves the world from disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              The one thing that concerns me above all else these days is that the show still seems to be focused on earth. Personally, for me, the earth based eps are boring and they have spent waaaay too much time on earth in the last 2 seasons - this show needs to go back to its roots and I hope that they do. However, with a mid-season cliff-hanger focused on earth (plus Ba'al on earth from the Seth retread) I do not hold out much hope for many off-world adventures except, it appears, to the new Jaffa nation world since it seems so many of the eps have that link in the spoilers thus far (I guess it's cheaper to make up a planet and then just keep going back to that same one). I really thought that with RDA being out now they would go back to getting off-world since they did not have to cater to his schedule - oh well . . . perhaps just another disappointment to add to the books - we'll see.

Bringing this back on topic - hopefully, because of her past with Orlin, Carter plays a significant role and is the strong, kick-a$$ leader we all expect, and, who once again, helps saves the world from disaster.
              I hope it will be Orlin but of course it depends on Sean Patrick Flannery's schedule...

I think I'd be disappointed if it were just "another" ancient since there's an established relationship/rapport between the two...and now with the political structure on earth changing so rapidly and with Carter the head of the team, things are different now and it would be neat to see how they'd relate to each other now.

Then of course there's the whole personal relationship thing...so what is next year going to be? Resurrect all of Carter's woulda coulda shoulda boyfriends??? Who's next on the list?

Narim?

Martouf???

Or maybe Pete can make a return visit. Oh wait, Joe Mallozzi said that there's no plans to bring back Pete unless Sam has a change of heart. (thankfully, he said "Just kidding" afterwards).

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

okay, i'm going to 'try' to do this quiz now. (hope my brain can keep up)

~~~

What Are Your Series Favorite Carter Episodes?

What are your choices for the following categories?
                (You don't have to post your choices for every category, you can just choose to comment on certain ones if you want).

Best All-Around Carter Episodes: episodes that feature/showcase Sam and show many of the following: Kick-Ass!Carter, Soldier!Sam, Smart!Sam, Science!Sam, etc.: Grace, Entity, In the Line of Duty, A Matter of Time, Foothold, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, Desperate Measures, Death Knell, and Threads. (I could pick a LOT more, but I'm trying to keep the list reasonable. )

Great Kick-A$$ Carter Scenes: (too many, can't think of names)

Best AT Acting Episodes: Entity, Grace, Heroes2, Solitudes, Desperate Measures, Paradise Lost, In the Line of Duty, Jolinar's Mem/TDYK.

Best AT Acting Scenes: Sam as Entity. Sam breaking down in Heroes 2 (hallway scene, Jack/infirmary scene, Teal'c/lab scene).

Great Episodes for the Character Development of Sam Carter: In the Line of Duty, Tok'ra- pts 1 & 2, A Hundred Days, (ep where Sam got promoted to Major), Ascension, Revelations, Paradise Lost, Grace, Chimera (not *great*, but it was character developement), New Order(s), Affinity, Gemini, and Threads.

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes: The Broca Divide, Solitudes, There But For the Grace of God, In the Line of Duty, Out of Mind, Into the Fire, Point of View, A Hundred Days, Divide and Conquer, Window of Opportunity, Beneath the Surface, Entity, Paradise Lost, Metamorphosis, Grace, Death Knell, Heroes 1 & 2, Lost City 1 & 2, Affinity, Gemini, Threads, Moebius 2.

Best Carter Humor Scene: Where Carter/AT gets to be funny... Urgo, Moebius parts 1 and 2, Space Race, uh...

Best Carter Lines: "Jack, I love you." (oops )

Best AT Adlib: "Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week, couldn't you have taken one day off!" I also like her adlib in the first ep, with her saying something about 'MacGyvering' some do-dad. Her 'and I was there' line in ?.

Best Sam-whumping scene/episode: In New Order 2, where Fifth played 'brain scramble' with poor Sam's grey matter.

Best Sam/Teal'c scene/episode: (this category is especially for Skydiver ) Where Sam cried on Teal'c's shoulder in Paradise Lost. I also liked Teal'c handing over his staff weapon to her in the first ep, where he'd just stepped through the stargate and everyone had their weapons aimed at him.

Best episode where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contribution: (ForeverSG1's category suggestion )

Best Writer of good, solid Carter episodes: Me. I mean.... heck, I don't remember who writes most of these eps.

Best Sam pic: How about everyone that has Sam/Amanda in them?

Best Snarky Sam Lines: ALL her lines to McKay. (I really wanted her to punch his lights out)

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm was it just me or did anyone else notice that Sam had a bit of difficulty keeping her tongue in her mouth during IGTBK???

I think Teal'c even caught her in the act in this one...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Hmmm was it just me or did anyone else notice that Sam had a bit of difficulty keeping her tongue in her mouth during IGTBK???

http://img33.echo.cx/img33/6931/pdvd5f1256fc.jpg

I think Teal'c even caught her in the act in this one...
                    http://img33.echo.cx/img33/134/igtbk5f04676lh.jpg

I went back and watched it again after your post and caught both of those moments, plus a whole slew of fun Sam facial quirks and expressions...

I found another one accidentally, btw. Now I'm wondering if there are more and I have to go and see if I can intentionally find others (thanks Kat! ):

I loved IGTBK because it was great seeing Jack offworld and of course Maybourne...but you know I figured out one of the real reasons I loved this particular episode so much...

I think this foreshadows Season 9 and gave us a real glimpse of Sam in command. And it's kind of funny...but I got a little irritated at how Sam kinda drifted off into the background when Jack arrived. Not that she was a wallflower or anything - she was STILL Sam - but she wasn't as snarky and agressive.

So I really look forward to the chance to see her in Season 9 as a strong team leader...like we got to see more of in IGTBK (and not so much of in the rest of Season 8).

Last edited by Uber; 17 April 2005, 12:05 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      Gateworld posted some information about a mid-season 2 parter with some news which could involve Sam in a very interesting way. Here's the link, but be aware that there are spoilers. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...isthefou.shtml

Spoiler:
                      Orlin will be back if Sean Patrick Flannery is available! I'm looking forward to seeing how Sam deals with him this time.

NC
                      Sounds pretty cool
                      Spoiler:
                      And I'd love to see Sam and Orlin back on screen together again

Comment

More on IGTBK...I started thinking about the "wives" scene and just had to take these snap shots of her expression! She just glares at him the whole time she's walking away from him...

Sam: Wives?

Jack (to Sam): Go.

It's funny how a scene that takes only a few moments to air...that of her glaring at Maybourne...can crack me up the way it does...

Last edited by Uber; 17 April 2005, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          More on IGTBK...I started thinking about the "wives" scene and just had to take these snap shots of her expression! She just glares at him the whole time she's walking away from him...

It's funny how a scene that takes only a few moments to air...that of her glaring at Maybourne...can crack me up the way it does...

Haha! I didn't even notice that when I first watched it, its only happens for a few seconds, but that is gold!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

What a catch Uber! I'll bet you're probably the only viewer that caught this or at least the only one who gave us these great clips.

I tried to come up with a word (to myself) that described the looks on her face. I came up with "distasteful" but that wasn't powerful enough. So, I pulled out the Thesaurus. Here's a partial list of words for "distasteful" that, for me, describe her reaction and feelings about Maybourne: adversion, repugnance, disgust, repulsive, loathsome, nauseating, etc, etc. Wow! What an affective glare that speaks volumes... I hope I'm never on the receiving end of something like that.

But it's so funny and well deserved by the recipient!
                            Last edited by SamFan31; 17 April 2005, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I started watched SG1 because I loved the movie. I also remember RDA from the 80's and like him too. But the moment Samantha Carter walked into that briefing room, I was hooked. A strong female lead, beautiful, smart, and serious, I was wide-eyed! I'm in my 60's now and was never one for women's rights, but she really made me think. What a great role model for todays women. My daughters turned out a lot like the Sam character and I'm thrilled and surprised. I never encourgaged them to be so independent but I'm really proud of them. Go Carter!

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                                I started watched SG1 because I loved the movie. I also remember RDA from the 80's and like him too. But the moment Samantha Carter walked into that briefing room, I was hooked. A strong female lead, beautiful, smart, and serious, I was wide-eyed! I'm in my 60's now and was never one for women's rights, but she really made me think. What a great role model for todays women. My daughters turned out a lot like the Sam character and I'm thrilled and surprised. I never encourgaged them to be so independent but I'm really proud of them. Go Carter!
                                My heart overflows! Another wise elder to grace our thread!! And, yes, I see a lot of Sam in my own daughter too.

Please join us here in Samanda and continue to post your thoughts on an amazing actor and character who has, indeed, been a positive role model for many women.

CG

Comment

Working...
                                X