No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same concern about the leadership of the team in S9. Sam never minded being second in command to Jack. He's her hero, and she knows he respects her intellect and hard work as much as she appreciates his bravery and courage. But I agree with you that if TPTB don't let her lead the team, it'll be a slap.

Unfortunately, unless some really good spoilers slip out of the Con, we may just have to bite our nails until July!

Comment

absolutely share - I have already decided not to watch the first 5 eps and if Carter is not in charge of the team upon her rejoining them I won't be watching much if any next season either, especially since I am not really enamored of the changes they have been making over the past two seasons or the changes to come in S9. Daniel and Teal'c, while good characters and I like them as part of the team, never really held my interest, I don't want to watch Fargate and I think the Vala character leaves a lot to be desired from what I have heard and read (could not bear to waste an hour watching PU and am now very glad I didn't after hearing and reading so many negatives about it) and I do not care for B. Bridges acting - I personally do not think he is very good (to me he is very wooden and one dimensional. I saw a few minutes of him as the President of the U.S. in that movie a few weeks ago about the volcanoes with Kim Delaney and even in what were suppsoed to be very tense or dramatic moments I had to laugh). In a nutshell, if they take command away from Carter even after she returns, regardless of how they were to handle it, it would be a slap to Carter and many of the fans and would show me that TPTB just don't get it (which I already think about them anyway so that will be no big surprise).

Comment

Hi UberSG-1Fan - I wish I had your confidence. I did feel the same as you not too long ago but now I am starting to let the doubt I have in TPTB creep in and make me less optimistic. I just think they are going to give it to the man - TPTB are all men and they make too many comments that lead me to believe they will not let Carter be the leader because she is female (they want to keep her in the place where they can continue to write melodramatic soapy storylines for her and having her as the respected leader (REALLY the leader not like that token crap we saw in S8) will not allow them to write those stories.)

I will state for the record that if they do have her back in command of SG1 then I will eat my words (and my hat) and I will take back SOME of what I have said about TPTB in regard to the Carter character as they will have taken a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          Hi UberSG-1Fan - I wish I had your confidence. I did feel the same as you not too long ago but now I am starting to let the doubt I have in TPTB creep in and make me less optimistic. I just think they are going to give it to the man - TPTB are all men and they make too many comments that lead me to believe they will not let Carter be the leader because she is female (they want to keep her in the place where they can continue to write melodramatic soapy storylines for her and having her as the respected leader (REALLY the leader not like that token crap we saw in S8) will not allow them to write those stories.)

I will state for the record that if they do have her back in command of SG1 then I will eat my words (and my hat) and I will take back SOME of what I have said about TPTB in regard to the Carter character as they will have taken a step in the right direction.
          (((((((((binkpmmc))))))))))

Have faith, binkpmmc! I really believe that for TPTB to remove Sam from command after less than a year would be SUCH a slap in the face...not only for the character, but for the legions of Samandans (including those not on this board).

So I may need to ship you a nice saute mix...it'll make the hat go down a little easier...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            Also, I know there's a wide range in quality (IMO, anyway) amoung the stories, but I'm not including anything I just couldn't finish. Hopefully I'll be able to post another batch sometime this weekend. When I get the website up, I'll probably have some way of designating the ones that I really, really like.

Hugs,
            Strix
            you know one of the cool things about fic?

a story that i think is gross someone else may adore and think is the greatest work on the net

tastes among fans vary widely, so it's great that your list is very varied. That should help insure that everyone finds at least one fic that they like
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              Hmm. What do I think of someone dinging you for liking Sam and Teal'c??? Let me see...

I feel like posting a couple of cute Sam/Teal'c moments!!!

they're fantastic!
              huggles Uber

TEAL'C: (quietly) "I am in your debt, Major Carter."
              CARTER: "Indeed."

I love their relationship...it's like he's her (much) older brother!!! Yet he has no problem with her in command of SG-1 and follows her orders without question...

mmhm, he DOES owe her doesnt' he????

man, how did i miss that plot bunny???

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                they're fantastic!
                huggles Uber

Hmm...I'd say it's a plot bunny just dyin' for a fic. You up to the challenge, Skydiver???

P.S...completely OT, but I've edited the post on another thread that you rightly smacked me down for...

*OOOF! That smarted!*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hmm. What do I think of someone dinging you for liking Sam and Teal'c??? Let me see...

I feel like posting a couple of cute Sam/Teal'c moments!!! And here's the sound to go with them.

FROM SPACE RACE: Teal'c walks to stand directly in front of Sam, smiling and looking after the retreating forms of Daniel, Jack and Warrick.

Click here to listen

I love their relationship...it's like he's her (much) older brother!!! Yet he has no problem with her in command of SG-1 and follows her orders without question...

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

I can think of another one too, dunno if you've already picked it up but...
                    In Zero Hour:
                    SG-1 have come back safe and sound, and Jack's walking down the corridor when Sam spots him:

CARTER: I’ve been second-guessing myself for ordering SG-3 to remain at the Gate.
                    O'NEILL (making a dismissive gesture): Oh, pshaw! (He and Sam start to walk down the corridor.) It was standard recon. Your tactics in dealing with the ambush – perfect. You should read what Teal’c and Daniel wrote about your conduct under fire.
                    CARTER: Can I?
                    O'NEILL: No.
                    CARTER: Damn!
                    O'NEILL: Teal’c said you were an animal.
                    CARTER: Huh! Such an exaggerator.

O.o
                    What exactly did Sam and Teal'c get upto in those ruins?

Comment

Hmm...I'd say it's a plot bunny just dyin' for a fic. You up to the challenge, Skydiver???

P.S...completely OT, but I've edited the post on another thread that you rightly smacked me down for...

*OOOF! That smarted!*

huggles, thank you

and i'll think on it

or, here's an idea. anyone up for a round robin? we could trot over to the fanfic section and start a 'teal'c owes sam' round robin, see how the good jaffa repays his debts

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        Originally Posted by astrogeologist
                        ...So what I hope is that Season 9 does not introduce any new emotional trauma - she's had enough.. and there are lots of potential storylines in the things that have already happened. Please... don't ship her with anyone new... please don't kill off anymore of her family or close colleagues... please don't give her another symbiote or some such... Please just let her be Sam! There's plenty there to work with - eight years of stuff to work with!

I'd like to see Sam get comfortable with leading SG-1 - and other troops. I'd like to see Sam occassionally dealing with her personal life... some conversations with Cassie - even if they are one-sided phone conversations where we don't get to actually *see* Cassie (the actress might not be available or some such)... some scenes where Sam deals with Goa'uld tech and the repercussions on her... Maybe RepliCarter comes back - and *Sam* gets to kick her replicated a$$... I'd like to learn more about what Fifth did to Sam when he mentally tortured her... maybe see Sam take off on her motorcycle for a ride (I know that they'd have to use a stunt double because the insurance won't let AT get on the bike)...

But overall... Competent, Heroic Sam. That's my hope for Season 9.

With at least a couple of scenes of Sam in the front seat of something like the X-302.
                        Great post, Astro! Although, I wouldn't mind seeing more emotional trauma for Sam, depending on how it's done. I mean, I won't object to good, dramatic stories that show Sam overcoming adversity, be it physical adversity, emotional adversity... whatever. I don't want to see any of the regulars killed off (I still miss Janet), but emotional trauma can be a wonderful plot device. I wouldn't want the writers to cut that out of their good storytelling tool boxes.

But I love your other ideas!
                        Emotional - and physical trauma - and good dramatic stories will be wonderful... what I'm hoping for is that that they don't create *more* emotional crises for Sam when they already have so many wonderful things to work with. I'd like to see some storylines which take previous stuff *further* and/or deal with some of the ramifications (and/or possibilties) - like with Jolinar's legacy, or with RepliCarter, her father's and Janet's death, her relationship with Cassie, and things like that. There's great potential for huge drama and deep angst and emotional struggle. Now, when it comes to *team* action, new crises and new problems will be great.

Comment

Then, of course, there was the equally unfortunate incident when General Hammond caught her in the thralls of an Unreal Tournament LAN party on the computer in the Control Room...
                          http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/5thrace_unreal.jpg
                          lol!
                          Maybe that's how Sam deals with her stress, fires up UT and frags her poor opponents into oblivion. I know it makes me feel good

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                            I have the same concern about the leadership of the team in S9. Sam never minded being second in command to Jack. He's her hero, and she knows he respects her intellect and hard work as much as she appreciates his bravery and courage. But I agree with you that if TPTB don't let her lead the team, it'll be a slap.

Unfortunately, unless some really good spoilers slip out of the Con, we may just have to bite our nails until July!
                            that's my concern too. I don't care for the idea of 'ok, we got another big strong guy, you, the little woman, get back into second place where you belong'.

i would like to think that i could trust the boys at bridge...but i've become amazingly jaded over the past couple of years. I'm not gonna trust anything until i see it on air

sigpic

Comment

We're all speculating about season 9, but I think Sam can speak for herself.

Next year I'm gonna kick butt.

NC
                              Last edited by NearlyCircular; 15 April 2005, 07:56 PM. Reason: to add closed captioning

Comment

I feel like posting a couple of cute Sam/Teal'c moments!!!

FROM SPACE RACE: Teal'c walks to stand directly in front of Sam, smiling and looking after the retreating forms of Daniel, Jack and Warrick.

Click here for audio

Great pic Uber (love your response to someone's idiotic red repping) - and Great audio clip, NC (very nice of you -and you are so fast!).

Comment

Working...
                                X