Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Sally - I know that Amanda has had a problem with the whole Jack/Sam ship since the early seasons. I was hoping that she began to realize that the fans may be on to something here (in a good way). The chemistry between her and RDA is there and the desire on the part of many fans for them to eventually get together as a couple shows that this arc should be taken seriously. If the writers would have developed Sam's character as a leader and Jack now as her mentor (rather than her CO) these past two seasons, they could have made the relationship much more equal, in contrast to the earlier years of Sam being under Jack's command. It could be written as a relationship of equals now - I would never think of Sam as just Jack's gal either. Good grief! That would take us back to Emancipation and Sam being seen as property!

Unfortunately, I don't think Sam and Jack will ever get together (except in some terrific and thoughtful fanfic and only in AUs) ... but, if it happened, I, for one, would never see it as the loss of Sam - she would still be the same strong, independent, and spunky Carter we all adore. And didn't Jack say it for us in the very first episode as they walked up the ramp?! "Captain, I adore you already."
    Since I can't rep you and give you green jello blocks right now... I decided to see what I could do about getting some appropriate BLUE jello to send as kudos for your wonderful post.

Photos are screen captures from the episode 48 Hours.
    On the topic of Blue Jello... What episodes show Sam and Blue Jello? I have checked through Urgo and 48 Hours... but I have the feeling that there is at least one other episode where Sam picks blue jello in the base canteen. Does anyone know what the episode was?

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      I also had a chance to read "Overtime" by Astrogeologist. Okay, this one has some serious Sam-whumping and heroism!! I wouldn't mind seeing more of this side of Carter in the show!
      Thanks Chocdoc! I wrote 'Overtime' because it was something that I kept hoping to see something of in one of the show episodes...I really wanted to see a competent Sam being called upon for first one heroic mission immediately followed by another.... but TPTB weren't apparently reading my thoughts, so I figured I'd try writing something down!

There are many aspects and sides to Sam Carter. Her relationship with Jack is part of Sam's character, and we've also talked about Sam and Teal'c thus far too (a friendship I really like for some reason, and would like to see more development of it in Season nine). I like Sam and Daniel's friendship as well, and am wondering about ways it might continue to develop in the future.
      I was hoping that we'd get to see more Sam-Teal'c and Sam-Daniel friendship development in Season 8... but then, I was expecting that the three of them would be going offworld on missions together (like SG-1 did in the first several seasons).

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Astro

That thought crossed my mind too and I am a bit concerned about the "second encounter" later this season. It does sound like Sam I will be away from the action with Sam II (RC). And, sure, the guys can certainly take her on, but, TPTB better bring her back later for some Sam/RC time, especially now that they have a S9 to play with!

BTW, did anyone notice all the pre-Gemini hype about Sam and RC really dueling it out? Maybe it's me, but nothing like that seemed to happen - it was actually Teal'c who got the most physical in battling RepliCarter. So they still owe us a final showdown/confrontation!

And, no, I have not read any Spoilers about what's going to occur.
        I just *really* hope they don't kill off RC! She's too good a vilian, and Amanda's too good at it for that 'toy' to be taken away from her. I fear we'll know RC's fate in one of the Reckoning eps.

Here's a question for everyone. If RC does survive the Reckoning eps, would you like to see RC eventually become good, or stay bad?

Sally
        Last edited by majorsal; 25 January 2005, 07:04 PM. Reason: for the 's'
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          I just *really* hope they don't kill off RC! She's too good a vilian, and Amanda too good at it for that 'toy' to be taken away from her. I fear we'll know RC's fate in one of the Reckoning eps.

Here's a question for everyone. If RC does survive the Reckoning eps, would you like to see RC eventually become good, or stay bad?

Sally
          Definitely for me, stay bad! I've only seen Gemini so far---based on that, AT does evil well! I wish RC and Carter would meet again, and this time Carter could kick RC's butt!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            I just *really* hope they don't kill off RC! She's too good a vilian, and Amanda too good at it for that 'toy' to be taken away from her. I fear we'll know RC's fate in one of the Reckoning eps.

Sally
            I'd like to see a little of both... good and bad... make her complex and conflicted... with that over-riding 'bad' instilled from her 'upbringing' by Fifth, but then show her to have a few redeeming qualities... that confuse her...

That would give AT a role to sink her teeth into and play around with. I hope that TPTB don't make RepliCarter 'simply evil' -- that's no fun... too many scifi bad guys are simply 'over-the-top-evil'.

Comment

I wish RC and Carter would meet again, and this time Carter could kick RC's butt!
              I second that - I want to see Sam outsmart and out-think Replicarter... give RC a few surprises... !!

Comment

spoilers for s6's metamorphosis

<snip>

Just a note on Sam's scientific side. I get kind of amused when Sam gets so caught up in a scientific problem/endeavor that sometimes she can disregard the bigger picture. It goes against the stereotype in some ways, and I kind of like that. For example, in Metamorphorsis, at the end after facing almost certain death, then saved, she still has an interest in Nirrti's machine---still wants to know how it works. Of course, she comes around, but she can get caught up in the science aspect. She is still quite humane, but she also has that that scientific wonder that can cloud the larger picture sometimes. Again, that's not a bad thing---it's interesting.
                I love that too!

Here Sam almost became waterchick, and she 'still' wanted to play with the devise to see how it worked. I think it's a cute character trait.

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  I'd like to see a little of both... good and bad... make her complex and conflicted... with that over-riding 'bad' instilled from her 'upbringing' by Fifth, but then show her to have a few redeeming qualities... that confuse her...

That would give AT a role to sink her teeth into and play around with. I hope that TPTB don't make RepliCarter 'simply evil' -- that's no fun... too many scifi bad guys are simply 'over-the-top-evil'.

I think I'd like that took, thinking it all over.

That having RC good 'and' bad reminds me of one of my all-time fave female characters (Sam's number one!), Xena. Xena started off good, was horribly crushed by something that happened to her, went on a revenge kick that would dwarf Teal'c, and then became bad. But the show picked up when Xena had had enough and wanted out (as in suicide). After hooking up with her soon-to-be best friend, though, she decided to right her wrongs and stick around. But once in a while, you saw that 'dark' side of Xena, that she tried *so* hard to control.

I'd like to see that with RC too. Keep her bad for a while, but start letting some of that 'light' in... A good part of RC 'is' Sam, so I'd like to see that struggle between good and bad be shown. I think that would be super interesting, and I think Amanda would have a field day with it.

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=majorsal]I think I'd like that took, thinking it all over.

That having RC good 'and' bad reminds me of one of my all-time fave female characters (Sam's number one!), Xena. Xena started off good, was horribly crushed by something that happened to her, went on a revenge kick that would dwarf Teal'c, and then became bad. But the show picked up when Xena had had enough and wanted out (as in suicide). After hooking up with her soon-to-be best friend, though, she decided to right her wrongs and stick around. But once in a while, you saw that 'dark' side of Xena, that she tried *so* hard to control.

I'd like to see that with RC too. Keep her bad for a while, but start letting some of that 'light' in... A good part of RC 'is' Sam, so I'd like to see that struggle between good and bad be shown. I think that would be super interesting, and I think Amanda would have a field day with it.

Interesting thought, we've seen that 5th can feel "good" emotions as well as "bad" so what i
                    would like to see in RC is more of why she thinks replicators are doing no wrong and their
                    way is right. I would like to get in her head and see through her eyes what she thinks of
                    human kind and of Sam, i don't want RC to change from that "cold smile" kind of way that
                    she comes across because i like that and find it interesting to watch, i really do hope that
                    RC continues into s9 because i feel we've just
                    started to scratch the surface with her and as
                    always a fantastic job done by Amanda in bringing her to life!
                    ......TARA......

Comment

I haven't really seen Replicarter in action yet, but I can't wait. LOL. "If she's half as good as the real one, it's gotta be great."

Comment

I just wanted to say how much I love this thread. It's nice to see positive comments regarding Carter and AT.

I was also hoping I could get a bit of help...

Anyone know where I could find a picture of Carter in dress blues and hat?
                        Not sure if there is one.

Would greatly appreciate it!!

Comment

Originally posted by CUL8TRJACK
                          I just wanted to say how much I love this thread. It's nice to see positive comments regarding Carter and AT.

I was also hoping I could get a bit of help...

Anyone know where I could find a picture of Carter in dress blues and hat?
                          Not sure if there is one.

Would greatly appreciate it!!
                          about the only time we see sam in her dress blues and hat is Between Two Fires.

she also wears her dress blues in Secrets and fair game

www.jackfic.com has a lot of screen caps. i'd check out those episodes and see if they have what you want
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think Between Two Fires is the only time we see her in blues and a hat (and than she's wearing an overcoat as well. Unfortunately, PDL has really insulting things to say about air force headgear, so I doubt we'll see much.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                              I think Between Two Fires is the only time we see her in blues and a hat (and than she's wearing an overcoat as well. Unfortunately, PDL has really insulting things to say about air force headgear, so I doubt we'll see much.
                              Also, she puts the hat on in Touchstone, when the team goes to area 51.
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                                Also, she puts the hat on in Touchstone, when the team goes to area 51.
                                True, I wasn't counting that one because it's a different kind of hat. I think she and Janet both have hats on in Forever in a Day. Still, given what PDL thinks of the garrison caps (the flat ones, the air force might call them something else, they're also called foe and aft caps and overseas caps). I can't imagin what he'd say about the female visor hat.

Comment

Working...
                                X