No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know I have to emphasize just how much I truly admire and respect AT and once again say how absolutely stunning she is. Because after looking through some pictures tonight I found myself thinking to myself...

'MY GOD! I'd kill the hairdresser who gave me this haircut.'

Maybe it's because I recall my mother trying to give me highlights right before my senior pictures and she ended up frying my hair so badly that we had to cut my hair off almost as short as this. I'm not normally one to be so vain, but I think it scarred me for life. I remember crying myself to sleep for days. I have to admit I'm actually a bit jealous that AT could still look so damn good with the haircut from hell...but then again she'd probably look great bald.

And just so you know...most of my barbies had this exact same cut when I was growing up... I was so ahead of my times... I just didn't realize then that 20 years in the future my idol would have the same look.
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 14 April 2005, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      I’d make an argument for Foothold as one of the best all around Sam episodes. Sam does almost all the things we love her for. She’s kick-ass, shooting the aliens on the airplane; in-your-face with Maybourne, giving us one of our all time favorite Sam lines, which was ad-libbed; whumped when the alien masquerading as the general knocked her across the room; played scientist when she figured out that sound would disrupt the alien disguises; got to work with Teal’c (all too briefly); and AT acted it all brilliantly. She looked exhausted in that scene in Washington, disgusted with Maybourne, not wanting to believe Jack and Daniel, but too tired to think straight, and finally giving in. I thought this episode more than any other was the one where Sam got to be the hero in a traditional sense. She really was “action Sam” in Foothold.

BTW, I voted for Foothold as the best Sam episode for the reasons above, although it was really hard to choose between it and Grace.

NC
      Since I still have my books out, here's what Amanda has to say about acting and ad-libbing in Foothold (The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 3 and 4):

"Tom McBeath [Maybourne] is an amazing actor and a really wonderful guy, so it's very hard to hate him. It's always a big acting challenge when you have to hate someone so sweet." Tapping was extremely taken with the episode for many reasons, not least because it gave her "the chance to be able to show that dichotomy of not trusting. Carter - who follows military rules and does everything the way she's supposed to - suddenly turns her back on everything saying, 'Nah! I don't trust you guys.'" The actress has particularly fond memories of the scene in the cafe: "I came up with the line - the 'Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week. Why couldn't you have taken one day off?' line." Thrilled she yells, "that was me! I was looking at one of the fan websites which talks about favourite SG-1 lines and there it was, right up there." Doing a fair impression of Homer Simpson she whoops, "When I saw that, it was like one of those 'Woohoo' moments."

Maybe, Amanda, you look at this fan website too? We hope you like what you see!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Here's Amanda, herself, describing that episode in The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2:

"This was another dirty episode," grins Amanda Tapping. "Rick already had make-up dirt from the floor and wiped it all over himself, and anyone else nearby. We were all filfthy. I remember going home and washing my hair and laughing at the colour of the water in the sink. It was great fun though. I love getting dirty better than getting pretty!"
        Since I still have my books out, here's what Amanda has to say about acting and ad-libbing in Foothold (The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 3 and 4):

"Tom McBeath [Maybourne] is an amazing actor and a really wonderful guy, so it's very hard to hate him. It's always a big acting challenge when you have to hate someone so sweet." Tapping was extremely taken with the episode for many reasons, not least because it gave her "the chance to be able to show that dichotomy of not trusting. Carter - who follows military rules and does everything the way she's supposed to - suddenly turns her back on everything saying, 'Nah! I don't trust you guys.'" The actress has particularly fond memories of the scene in the cafe: "I came up with the line - the 'Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week. Why couldn't you have taken one day off?' line." Thrilled she yells, "that was me! I was looking at one of the fan websites which talks about favourite SG-1 lines and there it was, right up there." Doing a fair impression of Homer Simpson she whoops, "When I saw that, it was like one of those 'Woohoo' moments."

Maybe, Amanda, you look at this fan website too? We hope you like what you see!
        LOL! Great quotes, Chopingal! Thanks for posting them for us to share!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          You know I have to emphasize just how much I truly admire and respect
          AT and once again say how absolutely stunning she is. Because
          after looking through some pictures tonight I found myself thinking
          to myself...

'MY GOD! I'd kill the hairdresser who gave me this haircut.'

Maybe it's because I recall my mother trying to give me highlights right
          before my senior pictures and she ended up frying my hair so badly
          that we had to cut my hair off almost as short as this. I'm not normally one to be so vain, but I think it scarred me for life. I remember crying myself to sleep for days. I have to admit I'm actually a bit jealous that AT could still look so damn good with the haircut from hell...but then again she'd probably look great bald.

And just so you know...most of my barbies had this exact same cut when I was growing up... I was so ahead of my times... I just didn't realize then that 20 years in the future my idol would have the same look.
          Maybe its just me, but I like her short hair look the best...

Originally posted by Uber
          I just had to share this picture with you all...look at the expression on her face!!! I crack up every time I see it...
          http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/urgo24_lg.jpg
          Urgo's probably lucky that he isn't actually real - or else he'd be on the floor nursing a broken nose
          Oh, and Sam's a tea drinker? I had the impression that she was a coffee junkie...

Comment

She is her own secret weapon and her own private joke. [She] enjoys wearing a mild-mannered demeanor. She smiles, and defers, and sometimes even makes a point to let her vulnerabilities show.

She walks the edge because she's able. She has the skill, she has the balance. She has the unique ability to walk the line between powerful and power-mad, between brilliance and madness.

She could have her pick of any research project on Earth, but she’d go stir crazy before long and wind up putting some poor hapless scientist in traction. No, intergalactic explorer is the only result on her job aptitude test.

The lines above are from a great short fic that I just read - called 'Balance' by Kate98
            Last edited by astrogeologist; 14 April 2005, 06:49 PM.

Comment

tom mcbeath is absolutey adorable.

i was fortunate enough to be with david and feli when we got to interview him at GC last year

it was this incredibly surreal moment. here we were, waiting for him outside this theater. it was crowded and we just knew we'd be meeting him. and if you don't know, quite often actors look very different during their 'off' times. or they try out different looks for different parts, which can make them hard to recognize

ok, so i look up and here's this man, teva sandals, bermuda shorts (khaki), polo shirt, straw hat eating an icecream cone

yep, it was tom and he looked JUST like maybourne did in the end of chain reaction or how i'd imagine him living on his island hide away.

totally surreal and I WISH i had a picture of it.

as to need, you know the sam fic that needs to be written? what happened in the mines during that week or so. All the lovely HC potential with poor sam working so hard and getting picked on with the boys

i remember that she sounded so plaintative with her 'you got dinner?'
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                You aren't alone, AD... Coley and I are with you... and a few other brave souls have also admitted that they like it too
                Urgo's probably lucky that he isn't actually real - or else he'd be on the floor nursing a broken nose
                Have to agree with you there... she could, oh, so easily, give him one of her 'elbows to the face' (ala Hathor or Lockdown), and just say it was an accident...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

... but I don't think any one episode is going to get all facets of this wonderful character into 42 short minutes!

Now that folks have struggled trying to choose their single best Sam episode of all time, what are your favorite choices for the following categories? (I posted this before, but folks were still enjoying the new Season 8 episodes as they came out and we were still working on the Season 8 poll). Just like we did with the Season Summary comments, I can collect everyone's choices and comments and create a compiled summary list.

---------------

For our internal poll, we could just post our choices in our posts on the SaGC - I am willing to watch the thread for votes and keep a tally and summary list of what folks choose. You can pick more than one episode for each category, and you can skip some categories completely if you want to. You can also nominate new categories...
                  Once again, Keeper of the Flame, you are doing a monumental job of organization of the Samanda data ... I'll try to add my comments soon to this part of the poll.

In the meantime, if you are storing our quotes, please be aware that you have to edit the error I made in describing Amanda as running the gamut of emotion from A to B! Good grief, I meant gamut of emotion from A to Z! The full range for Amanda! I already edited myself in the original post. Sorry!

Comment

I admit, I actually like her with shorter hair too...but bangs up to the hairline??
                    Gadzook!!! It's not the length of the hair that's the problem it was just the wacky cut ( I know it was a oops fix, but I'm truly curious to see what the oops originally looked like where this would have been better.)

Kat

Comment

In the meantime, if you are storing our quotes, please be aware that you have to edit the error I made in describing Amanda as running the gamut of emotion from A to B! Good grief, I meant gamut of emotion from A to Z! The full range for Amanda! I already edited myself in the original post. Sorry!
                      Fixed it! (I didn't even catch it - I'd read it as you intended it, not as it was )

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        I just had to share this picture with you all...look at the expression on her face!!! I crack up every time I see it...

I can't help but wondering if she might be thinking something like this:

"I have to take direction from son #1, and now you're telling me son #2 needs an acting job? You want him to be my boyfriend ... yeah, sure ... as if that will ever happen!"

Comment

ChopinGal.....love your caption! LOL

Comment

I can't help but wondering if she might be thinking something like this:

"I have to take direction from son #1, and now you're telling me son #2 needs an acting job? You want him to be my boyfriend ... yeah, sure ... as if that will ever happen!"
                            LMAO! That's great CG!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              tom mcbeath is absolutey adorable.

i was fortunate enough to be with david and feli when we got to interview him at GC last year

it was this incredibly surreal moment. here we were, waiting for him outside this theater. it was crowded and we just knew we'd be meeting him. and if you don't know, quite often actors look very different during their 'off' times. or they try out different looks for different parts, which can make them hard to recognize

ok, so i look up and here's this man, teva sandals, bermuda shorts (khaki), polo shirt, straw hat eating an icecream cone

yep, it was tom and he looked JUST like maybourne did in the end of chain reaction or how i'd imagine him living on his island hide away.

totally surreal and I WISH i had a picture of it.

as to need, you know the sam fic that needs to be written? what happened in the mines during that week or so. All the lovely HC potential with poor sam working so hard and getting picked on with the boys

i remember that she sounded so plaintative with her 'you got dinner?'
                              Wow, meeting Tom McBeath was impressive ... I can't believe that MajorSam wasn't tagging along at your side ... with that perky bounce in her step!

And that would be an interesting storyline ... the likes of which are right up your alley!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Urgo
                                yes?
                                Is that your hand?
                                Umm....
                                move it or die.
                                eep
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X