Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    okay, i'll tell you what... if you PROMISE NOT to say happy birthday, i'll tell you my birthdate... is it a deal?.... *waits for reply* okay, my birthday is......... is......... i..... s........

may 16th, 1963

there, i did it!

*runs off*

sally
    My Dear Madam Vice President

We shall have to petition the Court to rule on your behalf of forthwith making the sixteenth of May a non-event. However, this gives me great concern as we may be deconstructing history.

Please allow me to plead my case. Perchance, if the sixteenth day of May was never considered important in the timeline of the universe, then you, Madam, may just be a figment of our royal imagination ... never really having been born. Perhaps an AU Madam Vice President! When you pass mirrors in the hallway, are you able to take a good look at yourself? Are you really there?

And your dear mother ... just where was she on that glorious day of yore in Anno Domini MCMLXIII? If you feel discomfort now at what was purported to have taken place, can you consider your poor mum's confusion?

Ah, yes, my esteemed VP, your dismissal of your celebratory date of birth leads to the larger existential questions of trees falling in forests and Moebius loops and quantum mirrors.

Oh my, oh my ... please reconsider and allow us all to fete you quite modestly on the appointed date. A rose, a glass of ale from the royal liquor cabinet aptly named Tribute in your honour ... it does not take much to keep the merry citizens of Samanda content and happy.

Your humble servant,

Jester

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Here is my next Ultimate Sam banner...we're up to Season three now...

Another series of great shots! Very nice, Über!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        NC
        Great 2010 audio clips, NC. I added them into the 2010 storyboard post

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          I beg to disagree oh revered Keeper. I think this is what we've been hinting at all along ... for Sam to kinda grow up and take command and be snarky when she has to. She's at an age (listen up, all you venerable 40-somethings) when women tend to become more assertive and sure of themselves. So, yes, I think Sam could definitely speak those words to Mitchell (or anyone else stepping on her toes).

And, wouldn't it be fun to see Sam starting to express herself more forcefully? I'm not looking for the stereotypical "b/witch" behavior but just a set look in the eye, a determined stance, and a "yes, I'm back ... deal with me".

In many ways, she's been Jack's trusty 2IC for most of the seasons and in his shadow. Now it is time for her to step up and spread her wings and fly free!
          I like Snarky Sam - when she's snarky to the bad guys... or to folks like Maybourne.

Comment

Loved your caption quote ChopinGal!!

Listen if 1Speed4Sam never darkens my door again there aint nowhere you can hide - apart from the bottom of one of my beer bottles!!

Seriously - your post was great - He'll be back at work tomorrow, so expect a response!!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              Another series of great shots! Very nice, Über!
              Thank you!

*ÜberSG-1Fan's eyes glow ominously as she realizes she JUST became a System Lord*

AND NOW you must all KNEEL IN THE PRESENCE OF YOUR god!!!!!!

Muahaahaahaaahaaa!!!!
              Last edited by Uber; 14 April 2005, 11:59 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Uber - just love all the stuff you are doing with the Sam captures. I'm blocked from repping you though - I guess the blockage problem doesn't pass with time - I'll have to spread myself sharpish!

NC Your sound clips add to the visual delight many thanks

Astro as usual you seem to pick the moments for your captures that make my toes curl

MajorSam - you're just such a bright spark to have on the thread. You inspire me to do more than just vegetate. You enthusiam for life is infectious -cheers!

ChopinGal you have me ROTFLMAO every time!!

Deepspace your eloquence astounds!! Many thanks also for collating the birthday list!!

To everyone else - wonderful comments being posted. I'm still skipping on the season 8 stuff.

I shall pick up the third season 8 DVD a week on monday. Wonder what the extras are?! Did I tell you THERE ARE NO AUDIO COMMENTRIES!!!! Can you believe it - and just one directors series ep per DVD. Pah!!

I'm finding it impossible to pick a best Sam ep. - Trying as usual to think in terms of the character not actor. The Sam we all love is a culmination of everything that has happened to her in the Stargate world and just picking one ep is horrendously difficult. I tend to err towards the action Sam - but picking a good action episode can miss some of her other wonderful attributes. I shall have to go and see if there is a good all round ep that is escaping my memory at the present time!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

MajorSam - you're just such a bright spark to have on the thread. You inspire me to do more than just vegetate. You enthusiam for life is infectious -cheers!

Deepspace your eloquence astounds!! Many thanks also for collating the birthday list!!

To everyone else - wonderful comments being posted.

I shall pick up the third season 8 DVD a week on monday. Wonder what the extras are?! Did I tell you THERE ARE NO AUDIO COMMENTRIES!!!! Can you believe it - and just one directors series ep per DVD. Pah!!

I'm finding it impossible to pick a best Sam ep. - Trying as usual to think in terms of the character not actor. The Sam we all love is a culmination of everything that has happened to her in the Stargate world and just picking one ep is horrendously difficult. I tend to err towards the action Sam - but picking a good action episode can miss some of her other wonderful attributes. I shall have to go and see if there is a good all round ep that is escaping my memory at the present time!
                  Coley

You've expressed yourself well about our fellow Samandans ... MajorSam does have a bounce to her step, doesn't she! And deepspace is so considerate of others and thoughtful. Everyone has something unique to contribute, for sure. That's why Samanda is such a fun place to be!

It's a shame about your DVD series not including all the "bells and whistles". The commentaries by AT are great ... are you sure they're not there?

I had a very hard time deciding on the ultimate Sam episode too because of her terrific acting in so many of the shows ... finally narrowed it down to In The Line of Duty and Grace. The more I thought about it, the more I leaned to the latter because it seems to show a more mature Sam at a major turning point in her life and was such a showcase for her talent. The scene with her father aboard the Prometheus was a classic, about as real and believable as it could get. And the way she was able to show her deteriorating condition throughout through subtle gestures and looks: shock, weariness, depression, frustration, disbelief, coping, denial, acceptance, including the final scene in the infirmary with Jack which was so melancholy in a way. So Grace it is! Sam running the full gamut of emotion from A to Z once again!
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 14 April 2005, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    Just looking at the 'Ultimate Sam Episode' poll makes my brain melt - How am I meant to choose a single best episode?!?!?!
                    Originally posted by SamFan31
                    Any chance to change it to the top three best episodes. Kinda like we did with each season. Choosing just one is going to be *really* difficult.
                    Originally posted by Coley
                    Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    I had a very hard time deciding on the ultimate Sam episode too because of her terrific acting in so many of the shows ... finally narrowed it down to In The Line of Duty and Grace. The more I thought about it, the more I leaned to the latter because it seems to show a more mature Sam at a major turning point in her life and was such a showcase for her talent. The scene with her father aboard the Prometheus was a classic, about as real and believable as it could get. And the way she was able to show her deteriorating condition throughout through subtle gestures and looks: shock, weariness, depression, frustration, disbelief, coping, denial, acceptance, including the final scene in the infirmary with Jack which was so melancholy in a way. So Grace it is! Sam running the full gamut of emotion from A to B once again!
                    Well stated, Chopingal! And I agree with everyone about how difficult it is to try and choose *one* single top Sam episode! There are episodes which featured Action!Sam, Soldier!Sam, Competent Sam, Science-Techno Sam, Personal Sam, Emotional Sam... There were episodes with absolutely stellar scenes by AT (Singularity)... There were episodes which were amazing in terms of Sam's character development (In The Line of Duty)... Aaaagh! How to choose only one top episode?

I too ultimately ended up choosing Grace... it had great scifi, great character development for Sam, science-techno Sam, and great acting by AT. The only thing 'missing' was Hooyah!Soldier!Sam (it's hard to shoot a cloud or a delusion with bullets ).... but I don't think any one episode is going to get all facets of this wonderful character into 42 short minutes!

Now that folks have struggled trying to choose their single best Sam episode of all time, what are your favorite choices for the following categories? (I posted this before, but folks were still enjoying the new Season 8 episodes as they came out and we were still working on the Season 8 poll). Just like we did with the Season Summary comments, I can collect everyone's choices and comments and create a compiled summary list.

---------------
                    'Blank Form' below

What Are Your Series Favorite Carter Episodes?

What are your choices for the following categories?
                    (You don't have to post your choices for every category, you can just choose to comment on certain ones if you want).

Best All-Around Carter Episodes: episodes that feature/showcase Sam and show many of the following: Kick-Ass!Carter, Soldier!Sam, Smart!Sam, Science!Sam, etc.:

Great Kick-A$$ Carter Scenes:

Best AT Acting Episodes:

Best AT Acting Scenes:

Great Episodes for the Character Development of Sam Carter:

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes:

Best Carter Humor Scene: Where Carter/AT gets to be funny...

Best Carter Lines:

Best AT Adlib:

Best Sam-whumping scene/episode:

Best Sam/Teal'c scene/episode: (this category is especially for Skydiver )

Best episode where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contribution: (ForeverSG1's category suggestion )

Best Writer of good, solid Carter episodes:

Best Sam pic

For our internal poll, we could just post our choices in our posts on the SaGC - I am willing to watch the thread for votes and keep a tally and summary list of what folks choose. You can pick more than one episode for each category, and you can skip some categories completely if you want to. You can also nominate new categories...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      Best Carter Episode:
                      Grace without a doubt. In fact best Carter and one of the best Stargate episodes ever

Kick Arse Carter Scene:
                      Emancipation, the knife fight with the Shavadai
                      FIAD, Sam and AT-4 = Dead Jaffa Staff Emplacement
                      Endgame, Takes down the bad guy with her hands tied behind her back
                      The Warrior, She's a bloody good shot with that P-90

Best AT Acting Episode:
                      Heroes, Great range of emotions from AT.
                      Gemini, AT plays evil sooo good
                      Jolinars Memories/TDYK, Especially her flashbacks. But the whole thing was great.
                      Moebius, Geek!Sam - lol
                      Grace, I'd say one of her best performances yet

Best AT Acting Scene:

Singularity, The elevator when she refuses to leave Cassie
                      In the Line of Duty, Scene at the end with Cassie. (and any scene where they Goa-uld AT's voice. She sounds pretty cool like that )

Character Development:
                      In the Line of Duty
                      The Tokra
                      Grace

Carter Humor:
                      Moebius, Any scene with Geek!Sam
                      Urgo, Walking down the hallway and Sam tells Urgo off for being rude
                      Ascension, When Jack and Teal'c show up at her house - "I can understand why you might have assumed I didn't have plans..." rofl!

Best Carter Lines:

Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week...
                      You didn't think the Colonel had a telescope on his roof just to look at the neighbours did you?
                      Ummm, how about anytime she speaks?

AT Adlib:
                      Uh, I'm not sure if some of these are actually adlibs though...
                      Took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver one of these...
                      Maybourne, you're an idiot...

Sam Whumping:
                      New Order, Fifth mentally torturing her.
                      Jolinars Memories/TDYK, The pain stick, and Aphosis

Sam/Teal'c (lol):
                      New Order, in the cargo ship on the way to the Asgard
                      Paradise Lost, in the locker room
                      A Matter of Time, When Sam's trying to figure the solution to the black hole problem.

Contribution:
                      Within the Serpent's Grasp/The Serpent's Lair, Season1 ender, Season2 opener. Great all-round team action.
                      Icon, leading the assualt on the rebel held bunker.

Great job and great choices, Agent Dark! You can add to this if you want to, AD

Comment

My first pass at picking my choices for the categories above:

Best All-Around Carter Episodes:
                        Foothold - My Foothold screen caps , my Foothold comments and evaluation
                        Grace - my Grace screen caps, comments, dialogue and a few audio clips
                        2010 - my 2010 screen caps, comments and dialogue
                        Ascension -my Ascension screen caps, with comments and episode dialogue

Forever In A Day - when she wields the big anti-tank gun! My FIAD screen caps and comments. ForeverSG-1's FIAD screen caps

Best AT Acting Episodes:
                        Death Knell - my Death Knell screen caps with comments and dialogue [/URL]

Best AT Acting Scenes:
                        Singularity – the scene in the elevator! My Singularity screen caps with transcript dialogue excerpts
                        Entity – no vocal cords used, but everyone knows this alien is pissed! My Entity screen caps
                        Heroes, pt 2 – losing it in the corridor with the video reporter. My Heroes screen caps with episode dialogue and a few comments

Singularity – Sam going back down to Cassie – in the end, not leaving Cassie alone; also shows a softer side of Sam as she interacts with Cassie. My Singularity screen caps with transcript dialogue excerpts
                        In The Line Of Duty – *great* scifi developments for the character of Sam Carter; expands the scifi potential for the character. My ITLOD screen caps and comments
                        Secrets – introduces Jacob and created depth and substance to Sam’s character
                        Tokra 1&2, Jolinar’s Memories/The Devil You Know – expands upon and develops the effects of Jolinar and the Tokra on Sam and her father. My comments on Tokra 1, and my screen caps on Jolinar's Memories/TDYK
                        Foothold – Sam stands strong! My Foothold comments and screen caps
                        Ascension – Sam mind-melds with an Ascended! And we get to see Sam’s home, car, personal attire, etc. my Ascension screen caps, with comments and episode dialogue

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes: Divide and Conquer, POV, Threads

Best Carter Humor Scene:
                        Urgo - where she's talking to him as she walks down the hall. My screen caps with episode dialogue

Best Carter Lines:
                        "Welcome to MY life!" (on her way out of the room) - click to listen to NC's audio clip

Y’know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water!
                        Next up: parting the Red Sea.
                        - click to listen to NC's audio clip

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week!
                        Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!"

"This is real, this is real" - click here to listen to audio clip

"Wormhole Theory, motorcycle riding and lock-picking" - Click on the link to hear NC's audio clip

Sure, but the massive headache really takes the edge off it all.
                        (Click to listen to audio clip)

Best AT Adlib:

AT: You spent seven years on MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoelaces and a piece of gum...build a nuclear reactor, for crying out loud! You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, McGimmick - now you're Mr....MacUseless! (lots of laughter from the film crew here...) Dear God! Stuck on a glacier with MacGyver! If there's anyone here who hasn't had a chance to check it out, you can view it here (it's the last third of the clip) Click here for audio clip

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          My first pass at picking my choices for the categories above:

Best All-Around Carter Episodes:
                          Foothold - My Foothold screen caps , my Foothold comments and evaluation
                          Ascension -my Ascension screen caps, with comments and episode dialogue

Forever In A Day - when she wields the big anti-tank gun! My FIAD screen caps and comments. ForeverSG-1's FIAD screen caps

Best AT Acting Episodes:
                          Death Knell - my Death Knell screen caps with comments and dialogue [/URL]

Best AT Acting Scenes:
                          Singularity – the scene in the elevator! My Singularity screen caps with transcript dialogue excerpts
                          Entity – no vocal cords used, but everyone knows this alien is pissed! My Entity screen caps
                          Heroes, pt 2 – losing it in the corridor with the video reporter. My Heroes screen caps with episode dialogue and a few comments

Singularity – Sam going back down to Cassie – in the end, not leaving Cassie alone; also shows a softer side of Sam as she interacts with Cassie. My Singularity screen caps with transcript dialogue excerpts
                          In The Line Of Duty – *great* scifi developments for the character of Sam Carter; expands the scifi potential for the character. My ITLOD screen caps and comments
                          Secrets – introduces Jacob and created depth and substance to Sam’s character
                          Tokra 1&2, Jolinar’s Memories/The Devil You Know – expands upon and develops the effects of Jolinar and the Tokra on Sam and her father. My comments on Tokra 1, and my screen caps on Jolinar's Memories/TDYK
                          Foothold – Sam stands strong! My Foothold comments and screen caps
                          Ascension – Sam mind-melds with an Ascended! And we get to see Sam’s home, car, personal attire, etc. my Ascension screen caps, with comments and episode dialogue

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes: Divide and Conquer, POV, Threads

Best Carter Humor Scene:
                          Urgo - where she's talking to him as she walks down the hall. My screen caps with episode dialogue

Best Carter Lines:
                          "Welcome to MY life!" (on her way out of the room) - click to listen to NC's audio clip

Y’know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water!
                          Next up: parting the Red Sea.

"This is real, this is real" - click here to listen to audio clip

"Wormhole Theory, motorcycle riding and lock-picking" - Click on the link to hear NC's audio clip

Sure, but the massive headache really takes the edge off it all.
                          (Click to listen to audio clip)

Best AT Adlib:

AT: You spent seven years on MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoelaces and a piece of gum...build a nuclear reactor, for crying out loud! You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, McGimmick - now you're Mr....MacUseless! (lots of laughter from the film crew here...) Dear God! Stuck on a glacier with MacGyver! If there's anyone here who hasn't had a chance to check it out, you can view it here (it's the last third of the clip) Click here for audio clip
                          Astro, thanks for your choice pics of episodes *and* including the audio clips. The "this is real" clip made me run to the DVD vault and pull out "Grace" (that sounds kind of strange). I haven't watched it since it was originally broadcast when I was suffering from a big, bad headache. I had such empathy for the way she was feeling physically. Any way, feeling good today so here we go again. I'll probably get an entirely different take on it this time around.

Seeing all the eps, screen caps and audio clips listed together emphasized what a great characer Sam is and how we're so lucky AT is the one who has brought her to life.

SamFan31
                          Last edited by SamFan31; 14 April 2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

First off, I must apologize for not participating in this thread of late. At least I've tried to keep up, although I'm positive I've missed a few posts outright because I read responses to posts of which the originals I've never seen.

Thanks to all for reccomending my fic to Sam lovers. There were a few fic on your lists that I don't recognize... Looks like good reading ahead for me!

[QUOTE=astrogeologist]

What are your choices for the following categories?

Best All-Around Carter Episodes: episodes that feature/showcase Sam and show many of the following: Kick-Ass!Carter, Soldier!Sam, Smart!Sam, Science!Sam, etc.:

Matter of Time and Message in a Bottle

These two are among my all time favs because they show Smart Scientist Sam with Heart, Angst, giving orders, not giving up, and if Pressure has an ass, she was kickin' it in these two eps.

Emancipation. Sorry, but I still, after all these seasons, do luv to watch Sam kick Turghan's ass into the next century.

Best AT Acting Episodes:

Ah, well, dated and cliche as it was, I'd say Entity was AT's best performance.

Best AT Acting Scenes:

Grace - especially when Sam passed out while arguing with her Daniel self that second time.

Hum.... development... evidence of growth directly related to what happened in a certain episode....

I'll have to think on that one a bit.

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes:

POV and Beneath the Surface. Nuff said.

Urgo - pretty much all her scenes. Matter of time, opening scene.

Best Carter Lines:

Ooof!

Best AT Adlib:

From Thor's Chariot: I really liked her simple, "And I was... there." <shrugs at the guys when they look at her. RDA/Jack give her a nod of approval.> AT wasn't given any lines for that scene, but she just lined up with the guys and said her own.

New Order, with Fifth.

Well, since there's only, like 4 to choose from(Foothold, SR, PL and Gemini), I'd have to go with Matter of Time.

Best episode where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contribution: (ForeverSG1's category suggestion )

One False Step.

Best Writer of good, solid Carter episodes:

<blink> wha...? You mean, somebody writes this suff? It's not real?

Best Sam pic

<shakes head> No can do. Sorry.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              <snip>

Urgo - pretty much all her scenes...
                              <snip>
                              I just had to share this picture with you all...look at the expression on her face!!! I crack up every time I see it...

Last edited by Uber; 14 April 2005, 04:09 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Death Knell
                                Tangent

Desperate Measures

Best AT Acting Episodes:
                                grace
                                itlod
                                death knell

Best AT Acting Scenes:
                                the very end if itlod
                                daniel's death
                                sam and jacob in threads

itlod
                                jolinar's mems/tdyk
                                threads

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes:
                                paradise lost
                                threads

urgo
                                sacrifices

Best Carter Lines:

welcome to my life
                                don't give me that way of the warrior crap

Best AT Adlib:
                                ya sure ya betcha

death knell
                                evolution 2
                                itlod
                                desp meas

(huggles)
                                paradise lost
                                revelations
                                matter of time

serpents song
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X