Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    spoilers for s8's gemini

I'm just hoping they don't kill off RC, because I LOVE that character! Okay, I love her so much because Amanda's playing her. But it's *so* fun to see such a twisted side of Sam. If they don't kill her off, I'd like to see her around for season nine.

Sally
    I agree, i think tptb have in RC one hell of a
    "baddie" with Sam's face and all of Sam's thoughts and knowledge of the SGC.
    One of the things that really sticks in my mind
    is just how chilling Amanda has made RC, that slight smile just before she hit Sam was just so NASTY!! makes very interesting viewing

Side note; i hope Amanda gets an award for this
    and i really hope that while waiting for the birth of her baby she is spending some time in this thread because imho she deserves the praise that fans have been saying here!
    ......TARA......

Comment

And I guess fanfiction has further helped me see Sam as strong in a relationship with Jack, not a weak 'yes, sir, no sir' with him.

I guess fanfic has helped me see them together, with Sam being quite strong and equal with Jack. But the show's too scared of making obvious overtures in that department, because that would make them slip off the fence they've been sitting on for years.
      Fanfic made the difference for me as well. Stargate is the first show where I've found myself truly hoping for a relationship between two of the lead characters (not that I was against it in other shows, I just didn't mind one way or the other before). Stargate is also the first show where I began to read fanfic... and there is some fantastic fanfic out there. I concentrated on Sam-centered fics or fics where Sam was portrayed in a constructive and/or positive light. Consequently, Sam is a strong, well-balanced woman in my mind... one very well suited for a solid, healthy relationship where she would not simply be 'the girl'.

spoilers for s7's chimera

Me either. I saw
      Spoiler:
      some of stuff I didn't like seeing in Chimera, after Pete got out of bed (and from then on) and starting making her feel guilty for not telling him what she did for a living. I want to see Sam stand up for herself. Maybe if they'd been in a relay for longer than the three weeks the ep had them at, I could understand Sam buckling under the pressure of the man she was involved with. But Chimera didn't give us that, and I'll always be angry at the way the writers botched that scenario. If they'd just kept out the Pete checking up on her and following her part, this would have went down better. Better for Sam and the fans alike.
      Spoilers for Chimera
      Spoiler:

I strongly agree with you regarding the morning bedroom scene in Chimera. Totally botched by the writers. Their relationship was too new for Pete's demands - and his storming out and her response to it - ugh! The whole scene was not constructive for Carter's character (or for women as portrayed on TV).

I had no problem with Sam getting a boyfriend - I actually think it was healthy. I also didn't have a problem with how she was dressed or any of the scenes... up until that morning bedroom scene, Pete's demands and what transpired after that. Bleck! (to keep it PG).

Uh... oops. I'm alright with it here, because this group is very open minded and respectful. If no one objects, I say we keep it here (if we even want to continue with it that is). Sally
      I think we should be OK too... Carter's personal life has been featured on the show recently - so it's a viable topic... and it brings up the age-old issues and questions about women trying to juggle a career with a personal life and/or a family. Very few find it easy. And then throw in Saving the World For A Living on a Top Secret Project...
      Note: I had this entire reply composed and then I hit Preview... and it all disappeared as Gateworld literally dropped offline for a few minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Note: I had this entire reply composed and then I hit Preview... and it all disappeared as Gateworld literally dropped offline for a few minutes...

That's why I *always* highlight it and copy it before I hit send. I noticed Gateworld had some cramps, but it always saves me when I copy anything I'm going to post. Saves a lot of cussing.

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Hey There - this is getting better by the minute - I've been to London town a couple times and will have fun showing you both around! Plus I know one of the GABIT directors and it would be really nice to have some new friends to share that special weekend with! You're from the USA? I'm on the east coast. To be continued ...
          usa, midwest
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            usa, midwest

Of course! Hence the website called Emerald City! You must be Dorothy Glad to meet you - haven't been to Kansas, but spent some time in Iowa and Minnesota and loved it.

You're gonna love London - quite different and cosmopolitan.

Comment

Originally Posted by astrogeologist
              Do you think we should move further discussion of this topic to the Sam/Jack Shipper Thread?
              My opinion: As long as it does not get out of hand, I'm okay with this, but to tell the truth, I haven't set foot in the ship threads. I'm not anti-ship, and I do think that the writers have written in the ship element, so ship does reflect on the sort of character Sam is.

But ship is only one element of Sam's universe. So as long as it doesn't become the navel around which all discussion turns, here, I'm okay with it.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

... And I guess fanfiction has further helped me see Sam as strong in a relationship with Jack, not a weak 'yes, sir, no sir' with him.

Sam would NEVER be JUST Jack's woman, or Pete's woman, or anyone's anything, because Sam's a strong character.

... if all Sam was at the end was someone's girlfriend. I can't imagine the writers doing that, though, even though they've made multiple mistakes with writing the Sam character in the last couple of years.

This is hard for me to say (choking on my words hard), but being with a boyfriend is kinda equalling out Sam and Jack's statis. It's giving her confidence in herself, and giving her the edge of not being afraid of being hurt. I think being alone for so long has made her rather rusty in the relationship department, so if Pete is good for Sam in any way, it's that he's helping her get over her loneliness, and helping her see that you can still be alone if you're not with the one you really want and need. I'm not sure that made sense.

... I've wanted to SEE Sam commanding, and dealing with the issues of command. We've barely seen anything about that, and there's absolutely no reason for it. Just having Sam tell some officers to stand over there is NOT showing her commanding.

... I guess fanfic has helped me see them together, with Sam being quite strong and equal with Jack. But the show's too scared of making obvious overtures in that department, because that would make them slip off the fence they've been sitting on for years.

Uh... oops. I'm alright with it here, because this group is very open minded and respectful. If no one objects, I say we keep it here (if we even want to continue with it that is).

Sally
                Sally - I think you really summed it all up nicely. We are not looking to sacrifice Sam on the altar of ship! We are looking to add to her growth and development as a three-dimensional character (and, yes, I'm choking on these words too but the addition of a boyfriend was, in theory, a good arc. In practice, some of the writing disappointed).

I don't want to digress here because this thread is to be about Sam as a great character. So, now that the show has opened up her love life, it should now do the same with her life at SGC as a new team leader, commander. Sam in command needs further development for sure.

I agree completely about the fanfic dimension to all of this. Why did so many fans start writing this kind of fic in the first place? It's because they saw something in the chemistry between the two TV characters and then they used the looks, the banter, the UST to create some very clever and wonderful stories. I'm not saying that all Jack/Sam fic is well done, but, if you take the time to search out some of the more popular J/S authors, you will be in for a treat. Sam and Jack are portrayed in a great give-and-take adult manner. You could see their TV counterparts saying this dialogue and being these "real" people in a relationship. Likewise, the need for more Sam fic about her leadership skills and about the team.

Yes, there are other threads out there posting about ship and Sam's leadership abilities but I have found the posts there as sometimes abrasive and too emotional to even allow for other opinions. So, I vote to allow us some time here (in this safe haven) to occasionally go off the tangent a bit and talk about these matters in a respectful and thoughtful manner. As we are doing right now. I'm sure some of you do not entertain the thought of Sam with Jack, but I also hope that you are open-minded enough to allow some of us to air our feelings on the subject too. And this seems to be happening.

Bottom line: we have a bright and diverse group of posters here who are having fun talking about their favorite subject - Sam Carter!

Thanks to all of you for keeping this civilized and interesting and just plain fun!
                Last edited by ChopinGal; 25 January 2005, 03:12 PM.

Comment

SPOILERS for Gemini below:

I have read many references to the hopes for some great storyline involving a rematch or showdown between Sam and RepliCarter... and I agree - it sounds like a great episode plot... However, I remember AT saying that after Gemini the RepliCarter scenes were easier because Sam wasn't in the same scenes as RepliCarter....

So what do you think that means as far as the possibilities of a rematch between Sam and RC?

Is it going to be Jack or Daniel (with the Ascended 'diner' scenes) that take on RepliCarter for the final showdown?

I'm just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are here... or does anyone know any spoilers that would answer this question?
                  Astro

That thought crossed my mind too and I am a bit concerned about the "second encounter" later this season. It does sound like Sam I will be away from the action with Sam II (RC). And, sure, the guys can certainly take her on, but, TPTB better bring her back later for some Sam/RC time, especially now that they have a S9 to play with!

BTW, did anyone notice all the pre-Gemini hype about Sam and RC really dueling it out? Maybe it's me, but nothing like that seemed to happen - it was actually Teal'c who got the most physical in battling RepliCarter. So they still owe us a final showdown/confrontation!

And, no, I have not read any Spoilers about what's going to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Astro

That thought crossed my mind too and I am a bit concerned about the "second encounter" later this season. It does sound like Sam I will be away from the action with Sam II (RC). And, sure, the guys can certainly take her on, but, TPTB better bring her back later for some Sam/RC time, especially now that they have a S9 to play with!

BTW, did anyone notice all the pre-Gemini hype about Sam and RC really dueling it out? Maybe it's me, but nothing like that seemed to happen - it was actually Teal'c who got the most physical in battling RepliCarter. So they still owe us a final showdown/confrontation!

And, no, I have not read any Spoilers about what's going to occur.
                    Yes, I think it was a quote from Christopher Judge about how he'd enjoyed watching the filming of the scenes where the two Carters duel... "'Gemini' was great. I was fortunate enough to see Colonel Carter and RepliCarter kind of dueling it out." ("Teal'c" actor Chrisopher Judge, in an interview with GateWorld)

...and I have to admit that that idea intrigued me because I couldn't figure out how *any* human could physically duel with a Replicator -- I figured that there had to be some kind of technology involved to sort of even the playing field.

Gemini, however, didn't show any dueling - Replicarter had the upper hand and Sam and the other SGC personnel were all simply swatted aside. (ouch!)

I'm with you, ChopinGal, I am hoping for a future episode with a showdown between Sam and RepliCarter. It could be such a wonderful episode!
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 25 January 2005, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Yes, I think it was a quote from Christopher Judge about how he'd enjoyed watching the filming of the scenes where the two Carters duel... "'Gemini' was great. I was fortunate enough to see Colonel Carter and RepliCarter kind of dueling it out." ("Teal'c" actor Chrisopher Judge, in an interview with GateWorld)

...and I have to admit that that idea intrigued me because I couldn't figure out how *any* human could physically duel with a Replicator -- I figured that there had to be some kind of technology involved to sort of even the playing field.

Gemini, however, didn't show any dueling - Replicarter had the upper hand and Sam and the other SGC personnel were all simply swatted aside. (ouch!)

I'm with you, ChopinGal, I am hoping for a future episode with a showdown between Sam and RepliCarter. It could be such a wonderful episode!
                      Maybe CJ was referring to the mental dueling between RC and Sam. Unfortunately, RC won that battle too.

It would be good to see more of a physical battle between the 2 of them, though.

Comment

Hey all, I havn't been on in a few days, but i've read some brilliant posts. I can't give ANY of you rep though! There should be no such thing as too much rep!

I'm just watching The Siege Pt. 1, of Atlantis rite now, after just finishing Reckoning Pt. 1

Spoiler:
                        I just saw the part where Bates (the (^$&)$^) and Teyla had their little shouting match, and Teyla just BOOKED him!!! While I know that Sam would never do that, at least not to any officer or anything. I like though how they're now making Teyla, already, be almost a wild card. She's from this alien planet in constant fear of the Wraith, and now she has a funky connection with the Wraith, and some people are.... less than friendly about their opinions of it. She's faced with almost the worst possible thing she could, and she's already showing it. She's definately got nerves, and they're being pushed.

Sam's are as well, but we have yet to see her FULLY deal with the whole Replicarter and everytihng situation. I want her to start showing more reactions than trying to convince everyone it's her fault. Like Teyla, a very massive thing has happened. She's put her entire galaxy at risk. i've alrady seen Reckoning Pt. 1, and I reaaaally don't want them to somehow use the weapon on Takaya or whatever the heck it is, and get rid of the Replicaters once and for all, (or at least in our galaxy) after having them defeat the Goa'uld to a SIGNIFICANTLY lesser threat, and so Sam letting Replicarter out be a good thing. that would be SOOOO ridiculous, IMO.

Thoughts, comments, inquiries, additions?
                        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Welcome Back MS

I noticed that rep problem too. We're not a very large group at this particular thread and it's hard to "spread the rep around" without just going around to our same members ... any of you mods want to jump in here and suggest a solution?

As for Reckoning Pt 1 - that has not yet been shown where I live. Still waiting on that and do hope that they keep RepliCarter alive by end of S8 so Sam can eventually face her nemesis again and kick some serious butt!

We've all just about agreed that Sam needs her exercise in the coming episodes ... We've got to shake her loose from too much self doubt and make her spunky again. Sam has to say "I don't do regret". Interesting comparison between Teyla and Sam and, yes, Teyla is getting her exercise for sure.

Of course, coming back from maternity leave may impact AT's first few episodes regarding a lot of physical demands. Sam may have to be soul searching a little bit longer ... we can wait!

Comment

the only suggestion i can give for the rep points is to spread them around whenever you find a post you like.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              the only suggestion i can give for the rep points is to spread them around whenever you find a post you like.
                              Right, diversify and replicate elsewhere! Gotcha!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                Talking about Sam's "encounter" with Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost reminded me of a great story of Skydiver's called Change of Heart. It's about his perspective on that event after he and Daniel have been rescued in Evolution 2. You can check it out at here . I hope you don't mind me linking to the story, Skydiver.
                                Thanks for recommending this story by Skydiver. It was excellent.

I also read the last chapter of Chopingal's "Head Trip." Really great---can't wait to read the next chapter!

I also had a chance to read "Overtime" by Astrogeologist. Okay, this one has some serious Sam-whumping and heroism!! I wouldn't mind seeing more of this side of Carter in the show!

As far as discussing S/J ship, I don't mind it as long as it doesn't take over the discussion---and I don't think it will, given everybody's comments. There are many aspects and sides to Sam Carter. Her relationship with Jack is part of Sam's character, and we've also talked about Sam and Teal'c thus far too (a friendship I really like for some reason, and would like to see more development of it in Season nine). I like Sam and Daniel's friendship as well, and am wondering about ways it might continue to develop in the future.

Just a note on Sam's scientific side. I get kind of amused when Sam gets so caught up in a scientific problem/endeavor that sometimes she can disregard the bigger picture. It goes against the stereotype in some ways, and I kind of like that. For example, in Metamorphorsis, at the end after facing almost certain death, then saved, she still has an interest in Nirrti's machine---still wants to know how it works. Of course, she comes around, but she can get caught up in the science aspect. She is still quite humane, but she also has that that scientific wonder that can cloud the larger picture sometimes. Again, that's not a bad thing---it's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X