Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as to 'copying' ideas, well sometimes things just happen

i'll notice, hanging on variuos lists, that there'll be a spate of 'sam pregnant' fic, then a spate of 'sam raped' fic

during s7 and 8 there was a lot of 'pete a meaning and jack whumping him' fic, but i think that was just due to the general receipt of the character

i've also noticed that where a person plays colors how they interpret the character. for example, on some lists Daniel is interpreted as teh young innocent, full of wide eyed wonder while jack is his mentor/buddy who sometimes is the meanie who gets daniel hurt with his insensitivity.
    Sam is daniel's 'big sister' who never fully appreciates him until he's owied

yeah, a bit of an exaggeration, but it's to make a point. if several peopel on a list interpret a character a certain way, and they feedback and praise writers who also see the character that way, then people, consciously or not, will often alter how they perceive the character to fit into the 'norm'

as this keeps on and contiues, you can see that interpretatin getting exaggerated and growing further and further from how the run of the mill fan sees him/her

and also, well let's say you like sam. there really are no gen lists out there that focus on her. There are some, however they're small. There is a huge 'gen' list(s) for daniel and a huge gen/ship list for jack, but the only really large list out there that feature sam in any way is samandjack....so it's all ship (or mostly so)

this kinda makes it hard to find fic focussing on sam that isn't ship fic. and it also, i think, attributes to how she's seen. most of the lists on sam focus on her as half of jack. and while ship is part of her, just like shau'ri/sara, etc are part of daniel and ishta is part of teal'c, sometimes it seems that all everyone ever sees in her is how she measures up as half of a pair
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      I try to not read any fic while in the middle of writing a story...I don't want to accidently "have an idea" that really came from someone else... that would stink royally (Mary Beth slyly responds to the question asked of her in a PM )

Now I tried to keep Darker Side of Night and Eclipse down to 50 pages apiece (it was tough...I could easily have made both longer and may add a "director's cut" version in the future )...but it's looking as though the finale yet to be named (but leaning toward "So Shines the Dawn") is going to exceed that self-imposed limitation...which I will now remove from me.

AstroG votes for No Page Limits! The more pages the better...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        Alternate caption: "Whoa, I've got to lay off that *special* blue jello!
        LOL, I definitely think *special* blue jello has a bit of a bite.

Comment

Now I tried to keep Darker Side of Night and Eclipse down to 50 pages apiece (it was tough...I could easily have made both longer and may add a "director's cut" version in the future )...but it's looking as though the finale yet to be named (but leaning toward "So Shines the Dawn") is going to exceed that self-imposed limitation...which I will now remove from me.
          Wow, after spending years writing fiction to meet publication word limits, I found fanfiction to be very freeing in that I no longer had to worry about word counts. I could tell the story however I wanted... make it as long or as short as it needed to be. Truly, for me, one of the joys of writing fanfic is NOT having any such limitations.

I'd love to see your "director's cut," Uber.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Hi Everyone and Welcome to All New Members

I'm feeling like Coley right now ... you guys are on speed or something! (Madam President ... perhaps you were administering an eye test for your loyal subjects with the oversized fonts?!!) Almost impossible to catch up with the thread if you miss a day or two ....
            And the pages are packed with so many great posts, great pics, great Sam-highlight comments, great AT critiques as well as healthy discussions!

I know I've requested this ages ago on our thread, but I think we have just been scattering the answers and it hasn't been easy to follow. Can someone please list all our fellow writers in one post with where we can find their stories? A bit of a task, is Keeper up to it?
            There is a Carterfic Archive, but most Samfic authors don't seem to know about it, so it's definitely not a comprehensive collection. In addition, this Carterfic Archive only started up in the past year or so and lots of Samfic written before that has not been posted to it. But it is a great place to start. And if you write Carterfic, please post it to the Carterfic Archive to help it grow.

There is also a Carterfic list of Fanfiction.net Samfics . Again, the list is not completely comprehensive - and it does include shipfics (so non-shippers will have to pick through it carefully).

I know that Astro has been having so much fun photoshopping and commenting here on this thread that she's put the royal fanfic pen down for a bit!
            Yes, my latest creative 'fire' has been having fun with this thread. I love screen caps! - And I love Sam-highlight scenes - the audio clips and dialogue excerpts. I also really enjoy the character analysis and discussions of where the character might be going.

I've been missing Astro's great stories and teasing her to start up again on 3500 Years which was eerily written before any of us knew about Moebius and the time loop. I think you should get royalties, Astro!
            3500 Years was this great intro that appeared in my imagination. I haven't been able to come up with the drive or fire to create a story to finish it with, but I really liked those first five short chapters. In my imagination, the rest of the story involves somehow getting SG-1 to go back in time to stop an evil Goa'uld who decided to rid the universe of the irksome Tauri by going back to the time of Ra and changing history (and that's not a new idea, Star Trek did it in a movie with the Borg). But whatever the reason is for SG-1 to go back in time, it involves going after a Goa'uld who had the ego to think he could go back in time and control the impact of his actions as they rippled across thousands of years of time. When I wrote 3500 years, I had no idea that the series writers were going to come up with Moebius - I like their title a lot better than mine, although I don't like their reason for getting SG-1 back into the past.

Comment

Here's one that even tsxlady WILL NOT GET! (yeah right)

NAME THAT EP/NAME THAT SCENE:

Just love that expression on her face!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                Hmm, I was adding the birthday list to my files and I noticed something that
                caught my eye. Anyone else notice that Deepspace started this list but her
                name isn't on it? We have a few other hold outs as well.
                Coley
                MajorSal
                Tok'raHostess(Gracie)
                SkyDiver(Denise)
                Jackfan55

Celebratory Dates of Birth

Jan 04 DancerofSpaz
                Jan 04 MajorSam
                Feb 14 Astrogeologist[19?2]
                Feb 17 Strix Varia
                Mar 15 Chopingal
                May 20 Sam Fan [1988]
                Jun 19 UberSG-1Fan(Mary Beth) [1973]
                Aug 20 DipsofJazz [1959]
                Aug 28 Amanda
                Aug 28 Matt
                Aug 31 SamFan31
                Sep 02 ForeverSG1(Kat) [1967]
                Oct 18 Agent Dark
                Nov 02 Chocdoc [1957]
                Nov 09 Tara3583 [1954]
                Dec 18 NearlyCircular

Also, I've recently decided to start a MSN list for those rare occassions when some of us are in a flappy mood. So hopefully we can move the convo there instead of filling up the thread. If anyone would be interested in being added to the list please send me a PM.
                What's a 'flappy mood'?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                  Alternate caption: "Whoa, I've got to lay off that *special* blue jello!
                  LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    well gracie is a writer (The Hidden One is a fantastic non-ship sam fic)
                    Gracie is "The Hidden One" Gracie? LOL! I never put that together. Or, if I did, I had forgotten. I love the story, and I've recommended it to others on more than one occasion.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      as to 'copying' ideas, well sometimes things just happen

i'll notice, hanging on variuos lists, that there'll be a spate of 'sam pregnant' fic, then a spate of 'sam raped' fic

during s7 and 8 there was a lot of 'pete a meaning and jack whumping him' fic, but i think that was just due to the general receipt of the character

i've also noticed that where a person plays colors how they interpret the character. for example, on some lists Daniel is interpreted as teh young innocent, full of wide eyed wonder while jack is his mentor/buddy who sometimes is the meanie who gets daniel hurt with his insensitivity.
                      Sam is daniel's 'big sister' who never fully appreciates him until he's owied

yeah, a bit of an exaggeration, but it's to make a point. if several peopel on a list interpret a character a certain way, and they feedback and praise writers who also see the character that way, then people, consciously or not, will often alter how they perceive the character to fit into the 'norm'

as this keeps on and contiues, you can see that interpretatin getting exaggerated and growing further and further from how the run of the mill fan sees him/her

and also, well let's say you like sam. there really are no gen lists out there that focus on her. There are some, however they're small. There is a huge 'gen' list(s) for daniel and a huge gen/ship list for jack, but the only really large list out there that feature sam in any way is samandjack....so it's all ship (or mostly so)

this kinda makes it hard to find fic focussing on sam that isn't ship fic. and it also, i think, attributes to how she's seen. most of the lists on sam focus on her as half of jack. and while ship is part of her, just like shau'ri/sara, etc are part of daniel and ishta is part of teal'c, sometimes it seems that all everyone ever sees in her is how she measures up as half of a pair
                      Great post, Sky... Can't rep you again, so here's some blue jello!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        Wow, after spending years writing fiction to meet publication word limits, I found fanfiction to be very freeing in that I no longer had to worry about word counts. I could tell the story however I wanted... make it as long or as short as it needed to be. Truly, for me, one of the joys of writing fanfic is NOT having any such limitations.

I'd love to see your "director's cut," Uber.
                        I think it has to do with my own personal insecurities too.

The Darker Side of Night and Eclipse are my first ventures into the realm of Fanfic. I was scared I guess that people wouldn't find the stories as exciting and intriguing as I did and I feared negative feedback...

The way I rushed to get them both done with the above thought in mind, I trimmed a lot of fat simply because I didn't want to be criticized too negatively (I don't mean legitimate critiques) for being too verbose...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hmm, I was adding the birthday list to my files and I noticed something that
                          caught my eye. Anyone else notice that Deepspace started this list but her
                          name isn't on it? We have a few other hold outs as well.
                          Coley
                          MajorSal
                          Tok'raHostess(Gracie)
                          SkyDiver(Denise)
                          Jackfan55

Celebratory Dates of Birth

Jan 04 DancerofSpaz
                          Jan 04 MajorSam
                          Feb 14 Astrogeologist[19?2]
                          Feb 17 Strix Varia
                          Mar 15 Chopingal
                          May 20 Sam Fan [1988]
                          Jun 19 UberSG-1Fan(Mary Beth) [1973]
                          Aug 20 DipsofJazz [1959]
                          Aug 28 Amanda
                          Aug 28 Matt
                          Aug 31 SamFan31
                          Sep 02 ForeverSG1(Kat) [1967]
                          Oct 18 Agent Dark
                          Nov 02 Chocdoc [1957]
                          Nov 09 Tara3583 [1954]
                          Dec 18 NearlyCircular

Also, I've recently decided to start a MSN list for those rare occassions when some of us are in a flappy mood. So hopefully we can move the convo there instead of filling up the thread. If anyone would be interested in being added to the list please send me a PM.
                          Aw, heck, if you want to add the date to mine, it's 1965. I'm just a little freaked about turning 40 this year. I don't feel like I'm 40...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            Great post, Sky... Can't rep you again, so here's some blue jello!

MMMMHHHMMMM

jello!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Samandan Writers
                              This is what I have so far...please feel free to add your name to the
                              list.

SkyDiver/Denise http://www.geocities.com/sky_diver119/

Astrog/SG1-Fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/u/599721/

Chopingal http://www.fanfiction.net/~chopingal

MajorSam http://www.geocities.com/popcornsamo/P3X-717.html

UberSG-1Fan http://www.fanfiction.net/u/775278/

Strix Varia http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/stargate.htm
                              Could you change mine to the much easier to remember link?:

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ubersg1fan

Thank you

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

i've come up with fic ideas that later get used in teh show, and there's no way in heck they read my stuff.
                                a) they're not allowed
                                b) the fic could be in zines long before they'd be on the net, so they'er nto readily accessible

such as using the imagers from foothold to immitate folks. did that way back in s3 timeline while the show took 4 more years to do it

sometimes i think it's just a sign that the random fan can sometimes be on the same wavelength as the show's writers, which is kinda cool

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X