X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist

In the episode 'Gemini'
    Spoiler:
    , I liked the scenes that showed us some of what Fifth put Sam through... forcing her to mentally experience killing her friends... killing the other members of SG-1 - especially Jack. It made more sense of her tone of voice in 'New Order' when she told Fifth that she could never love him.
    spoilers for s8's gemini
    Spoiler:
    It that what Sam went through too? Fifth made Sam kill her friends too? And on that subject, do you think RC really went through that scenario, or do you think she made it up to manipulate Sam?

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
      I'm all for Sam character development. I'm hoping for a little more of the bite and strength that she had pre-season 7. I still love Sam's character, but she's changed a bit. Mellowed even more. Bring on the spunk! But she needn't become over-the-top. Her rationality is her gift, and she must maintain that. The humor would help a bit, though. Something like "you're an idiot every day of the week? Couldn't you take a day off?" kind of stuff wouldn't hurt.
      Bring on the bite and strength!

Yes! Here's to hoping that Season 9's episodes allow Carter to show the competency, spunk and fire that we've seen in some of the earlier years.

Carter: I'm having fun now, sir
      O'Neill: You Go Girl!

Bring on the spunky and competent Carter that we saw in Foothold, Exodus/Enemies and so many of the other episodes cited earlier in this thread.

Life is about balance. Some folks (including AT, although not myself ) were getting tired of 'Super Sam' or 'Little Miss Perfect' Carter... so they've introduced some vulnerabilities and other such facets to her character... ok, fine... and AT was simply fantastic in Gemini and Grace and I thought both were wonderful episodes.

But life is all about balance... and the four original characters of SG-1 are supposed to be heroes... how much 'vulnerability or weakness' is appropriate? And how much should be revealed at one time? Balance does not mean 50-50... like vitamins, sometimes all you need is a small amount for the proper, healthy balance. If the vulnerabilities and weaknesses are similar to vitamins, then we've gotten a large enough dose over the past couple of seasons. To maintain Carter's validity as one of SG-1's lead heroic characters, they now need to concentrate on her competency, selflessness and heroism. And, since it's a science fiction show, that means large scale heroism... heroic actions that no one can argue the merit of.

Carter's vulnerabilities and weaknesses can be addressed and explored again in the future - but not before we have some episodes that balance things out and emphasize her heroism and selflessness.

Blowing up a sun!
      BTW: If anyone wants to access the screen capture panels that I have created, they are at my online photo album: AccessPics
      The first panel of pics is from Foothold
      The second panel of pics is from Enemies
      The third panel is from Nemesis
      The fourth panel is from Singularity
      The fifth panel of pics is from Exodus

Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 January 2005, 10:03 AM.

Comment

In the episode 'Gemini'
        Spoiler:
        , I liked the scenes that showed us some of what Fifth put Sam through... forcing her to mentally experience killing her friends... killing the other members of SG-1 - especially Jack. It made more sense of her tone of voice in 'New Order' when she told Fifth that she could never love him.
        Originally posted by majorsal
        spoilers for s8's gemini
        Spoiler:
        It that what Sam went through too? Fifth made Sam kill her friends too? And on that subject, do you think RC really went through that scenario, or do you think she made it up to manipulate Sam?
        That's what I thought Sam meant when she said spoilers for s8's gemini
        :
        Spoiler:

CARTER: Teal’c doesn’t know what you’ve been through. I do.
        REPLICARTER: It wasn’t just what I showed you, was it? You experienced it yourself.
        CARTER: Yeah. That’s how I know there’s no way you could be working with Fifth.

Do you think I read too much into that exchange?

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          Talking about Sam's "encounter" with Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost reminded me of a great story of Skydiver's called Change of Heart. It's about his perspective on that event after he and Daniel have been rescued in Evolution 2. You can check it out at here . I hope you don't mind me linking to the story, Skydiver.

i don't mind. thanks.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            My current thinking is that if the direction on clothing is coming from MGM/Sci Fi to sex up Sam I'm dead against it. If it is a willingness of the writers and AT to show more of a fun and a feminine side to Sam thats ok. The new look may be a compromise between what both sides want - but I guess we'll never know!! Maybe MajorSam could ask in her next interview - if appropriate?
            Nicely stated Coley! Love it!

I agree! If AT has chosen the clothes because she wants to show more of a fun or feminine side of Carter, then I'm all for it. The evening dress in Chimera was AT's own dress, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other civilian clothes were hers as well.

I also don't think that the civilian clothes seen so far are out-of-character for Sam... I think these civilian clothes are actually defining Sam's personal preferences (which we hadn't seen much of)... and I *really* like the idea that Sam's personal clothes span a range of styles... from casual, to dressy, to girly, to conservative, from 'biker leathers' to 'sexy' to 'soft'... Women have so many choices today, and it's wonderful to see women take advantage of the spectrum available - don't stick yourself in anyone's box... don't let your personal clothes be a uniform or a straightjacket.

For my own personal preferences, I just hope they never make Sam dress 'matronly'!

Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 January 2005, 10:48 AM.

Comment

there are times when i woudl kill to have her figure. she's tall, almost as tall as the boys, but not bony

i hate it when actresses are these stick figures, all bones

she's got a normal figure and it's nice to see

sigpic

Comment

Last year when Richard Dean Anderson was given an award from the Air Force Association for the positive way that SG1 presents the Air Force, I started to think about the way that the character of Samantha Carter represents women in the Air Force and in the military in general. Can you think of any other female character in television or film who has been a better representative of women in the US military? I’ve been trying for a while now, and can’t come up with any. First of all, there aren’t that many to choose from. Second, the ones that I can think of are usually in very secondary roles or often get caught up in soap opera type plot lines.

In any case, if there is an organization out there that recognizes women in the military, wouldn’t it be great if Amanda’s portrayal of Samantha Carter was honored?

I think everyone on this thread could make arguments as to why Sam Carter is a good role model for young women (and men.) We’ve heard from young(er) viewers on this thread that they’re more interested in science because of Sam. (Speaking as a math educator, this really warmed my heart!)

I’m not in the military, so maybe some of you who are, or have been, would be better able than me to say whether Sam represents what a good officer should be. Since the Air Force has advisors working with the show, I assume that for the most part, her actions are within the rules and regulations of the Air Force. IMO, she makes the military look good. And no, I’m not talking about physical appearance here. Amanda is beautiful, but I’ve never felt that Sam’s looks were the most important part of the character. It’s more about what she can do than how she looks doing it.

Now, if the character of Sam Carter alone isn’t a good enough reason to be recognized, consider Amanda! From everything that I’ve read, she’s a truly good person. Professional, funny, kind, a great actress; you name it. On top of that, in the past she made visits to troops in the Middle East with the USO, demonstrating genuine support for soldiers in the field.

It would be nice if someone associated with the armed forces realized the way that this character and this actress have given us such a good example of a notable woman officer in the US Air Force.

Comment

Has Amanda Tapping done a great enough job of representing a US military officer to deserve an award like RDA's? Probably. But her exclusion from recognition is not surprising, since Amanda is apparently a Canadian citizen, not a US citizen. Richard on the other hand, is American, so it makes sense for him to be presented with an award for portraying a soldier in defense of his country.

Comment

Yes! Here's to hoping that Season 9's episodes allow Carter to show the competency, spunk and fire that we've seen in some of the earlier years.

Bring on the spunky and competent Carter that we saw in Foothold, Exodus/Enemies and so many of the other episodes cited earlier in this thread.

Life is about balance. Some folks (including AT, although not myself ) were getting tired of 'Super Sam' or 'Little Miss Perfect' Carter... so they've introduced some vulnerabilities and other such facets to her character... ok, fine... and AT was simply fantastic in Gemini and Grace and I thought both were wonderful episodes.

But life is all about balance... and the four original characters of SG-1 are supposed to be heroes... how much 'vulnerability or weakness' is appropriate? And how much should be revealed at one time? Balance does not mean 50-50... like vitamins, sometimes all you need is a small amount for the proper, healthy balance. If the vulnerabilities and weaknesses are similar to vitamins, then we've gotten a large enough dose over the past couple of seasons. To maintain Carter's validity as one of SG-1's lead heroic characters, they now need to concentrate on her competency, selflessness and heroism. And, since it's a science fiction show, that means large scale heroism... heroic actions that no one can argue the merit of.

Carter's vulnerabilities and weaknesses can be addressed and explored again in the future - but not before we have some episodes that balance things out and emphasize her heroism and selflessness.

You've said this well. I like the vitamin analogy. It would be interesting for someone (not me ) to see who has written the best Carter episodes. Are there some who do a better job than others with her character?

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                      Has Amanda Tapping done a great enough job of representing a US military officer to deserve an award like RDA's? Probably. But her exclusion from recognition is not surprising, since Amanda is apparently a Canadian citizen, not a US citizen. Richard on the other hand, is American, so it makes sense for him to be presented with an award for portraying a soldier in defense of his country.

You're right, Amanda is Canadian, but the character she plays is a US citizen. In addition, Amanda visited with US troops in the Middle East. So the USO recognizes her appeal to US soldiers.

I realize that there could probably never be any kind of recognition from an official US military organization. If I recall correctly, even RDA's award was from a very reputable group associated with the US Air Force, but not the Air Force itself. Unfortunately we rarely see anything about women in the military, and what comes to mind recently are sex scandals at the Air Force Academy or guards posing for pictures at prisons in Iraq. I would hope that those examples are rare and I would think that some group would want to counter them with a positive portrayal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        i don't mind. thanks.
                        A good short read - enjoyed it! Thanks

Comment

my friend and i are hoping to come too

maybe we can have a GAteworld/Gabit get together

It'll be the Triple G or something like that
                          You're on! I won't know many people there - look forward to meeting another Stargate fanfic writer too

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            You're on! I won't know many people there - look forward to meeting another Stargate fanfic writer too
                            sweet!

once we get the official dates and the such, we'll organize something

i've never been to the uk before but i can't wait!!

I should be coming with a friend of mine, she's a fic writer too

we'll have a grand time

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              I have a comment to make.

This is for Amanda, if she ever reads this thread.

In Amanda's latest interview (TV Zone Special #61), she made a comment that I'd like to respond to. Like I said, I hope Amanda reads this.

Amanda said: (edited) "She's become a great woman. I really like Sam and I don't want her to be just Jack's gal, and I don't think Rick wants it either."

As an avid Sam/Jack shipper, I can tell you that there's not one, single S/J shipper that wants Sam to be 'just' Jack's woman. Or Jack to be just Sam's guy. The vast majority of S/J shippers are also big fans of Sam and Jack individually, and with me, I'm a bigger Sam fan than anything else. The S/J ship is one aspect of Sam that I love, but it's not everything. And I can tell you without fail, ALL shippers feel the same.

K, I'm done. I hope I haven't offended anyone or derailed this thread. I just wanted Amanda to know that S/J ship is merely one thread of a very interesting character tapestry.

Sally
                              Sally - I know that Amanda has had a problem with the whole Jack/Sam ship since the early seasons. I was hoping that she began to realize that the fans may be on to something here (in a good way). The chemistry between her and RDA is there and the desire on the part of many fans for them to eventually get together as a couple shows that this arc should be taken seriously. If the writers would have developed Sam's character as a leader and Jack now as her mentor (rather than her CO) these past two seasons, they could have made the relationship much more equal, in contrast to the earlier years of Sam being under Jack's command. It could be written as a relationship of equals now - I would never think of Sam as just Jack's gal either. Good grief! That would take us back to Emancipation and Sam being seen as property!

Unfortunately, I don't think Sam and Jack will ever get together (except in some terrific and thoughtful fanfic and only in AUs) ... but, if it happened, I, for one, would never see it as the loss of Sam - she would still be the same strong, independent, and spunky Carter we all adore. And didn't Jack say it for us in the very first episode as they walked up the ramp?! "Captain, I adore you already."

Comment

sweet!

once we get the official dates and the such, we'll organize something

i've never been to the uk before but i can't wait!!

I should be coming with a friend of mine, she's a fic writer too

we'll have a grand time
                                Hey There - this is getting better by the minute - I've been to London town a couple times and will have fun showing you both around! Plus I know one of the GABIT directors and it would be really nice to have some new friends to share that special weekend with! You're from the USA? I'm on the east coast. To be continued ...

Comment

Working...
                                X