Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, they're great Sally
    And I love the 5th pic down from the top, where Amanda's playing around with that detonator. Made me lol so hard when I saw that on whichever behind the scenes vid I was watching

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Nope.

Hey! I may have one here that even sharp shooter tsaxlady may not hit!!!

I was gone opening show was tonight just got back home and trying to get caught up on the last few pages on several threads -

I think I no this lab scene is it
      Spoiler:
      Heroes Part 1

Spoiler:
      Sams Lab - when Sam gets the probe working and she and Daniel discover that it has been sending info to the Goa'uld

Okay now back to getting caught up on what I've missed while I was gone
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        I was born with blonde hair and blue eyes
        I'm 5'9" tall and
        I'm a Virgo (born Sept 2nd, 1967)

This unfortunately is where the similarities between Amanda and myself end.

Oh wait, I forgot we are both a mommy and extremely intelligent women!! *Cackles to herself*
        Well I'm not only a blue eyed Virgo I also share AT's birthday!(Aug 28th)
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

i was *immensely* bothered by the content/violence in season 6's abyss. i remember being in a chatroom with brad wright, and i asked him personally if the violence was bad in that ep.

sally
          Harrowing was the word for Abyss, to me. I think it was all the more so because usually the violence is much more, if not exactly "cartoonish," perhaps less than realistic? I actually don't have kids, but this wouldn't be an episode for kids, to me. I think that was the thing with Chimera for me too--the sudden change in tone from the way the show usually is. Disconcerting.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave

To begin at the end, I wasn't uninspired by the Carter of COTG. Quite the contrary. Your whole argument, ForeverSg1 rests on the presumption that S1-3 Sam was a limited character who left considerable room for improvement. While I agree you about S6, which left much to be desired on every front (sorry, Jonas fans), my feeling about S7-8 is that TPTB have taken a great character & f***ed her up. Or, as I said before, dumbassified & domesticated her. The early Carter didn't have to apologize for herself. Now she does it constantly. You'd think her confidence would have grown, not atrophied.

One need not want a favorite character to "stay eternally the same" to be unhappy with the way the development of said character is handled. The problem is not that Carter has evolved but that she seems often to have devolved.
            To put it differently, the choices made seem to have been the worst possible. I like the instincts that AT displays on the DVD commentaries (envisioning Sam as "a loser" who lives in an underfurnished, hole-in-the-wall apartment), but the character has been not fleshed out so much as conventionalized. Ho-hum. AT says she re-upped for S7 b/c it meant she'd get a directing slot. If so, it was a Faustian bargain and Pete was Satan's end of the deal. I mean, this extraordinary woman is going to settle for (and forget Jack O'Neill with) the biggest doofus in Colorado ... or maybe on Planet Earth. It's somebody's fantasy I guess, but it's another symptom of dumbed-down DomestiCarter. Bleah!
            I have to agree with you in part. Except for that awful speech in the pilot, I liked Sam from the beginning. I do think that she had been someone so preoccupied with work that she really didn't have much of a social life. So what?

The idea of *dating* Pete, I didn't have a problem with. As someone said a while back, she came out of Grace *determined* to have a personal life. But the way Pete was written, for Sam to *continue* in a relationship with him is best explained by the "concussion theory."

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

3) Affinity---no way would Sam accept Pete's proposal while still doubting what was going on inside her, but also particularly not at a stakeout, as AT also protested.
              I hadn't heard this. Yay, AT!

4) Lost City I and II, Affinity, and Threads---I got quite tired of Sam trying to talk with Jack about her feelings---Sam looks worse than the male lead and again this was written from a male biased point of view. I do think Jack has feelings for her as expressed in Threads later, but why is she the one that has to look awkward and insecure. AHHHHHHHHH

There were remedies though to some of these---telling Pete it won't work out BEFORE she knew that Kerry broke it off with Jack---and interaction between Sam and Jack that was not awkward, such as their interaction concerning her father, the fishing scene, and really the whole beginning of Meobius as well.
              Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                Harrowing was the word for Abyss, to me. I think it was all the more so because usually the violence is much more, if not exactly "cartoonish," perhaps less than realistic? I actually don't have kids, but this wouldn't be an episode for kids, to me. I think that was the thing with Chimera for me too--the sudden change in tone from the way the show usually is. Disconcerting.
                But this is what Stargate has done since the beginning though. They'll go on and have a lot of great offworld action shows like the Serpent's Lair or Between two Fires. Then they'll have a funny shows like Urgo or Window of Opportunity. Then they'll have a character focus show like First Ones or Grace. Then they'll have a really dark show like The Devil You Know or Abyss. And of course, they'll throw in some clip shows for good measure.

I think that's really one of the reasons why I love this show so much is that it doesn't limit itself to a particular type of style.

Chimera was odd for me...on the one hand I was happy for her for finding happiness but I was sad because it wasn't with Jack. I was irritated by Affinity, though, because although she had finally determined that there would be nothing with Jack and accepted Pete's proposal, she wouldn't have kissed him during an operation like that. I am glad that she at some point came to her senses and realized that just having a life with someone was not enough for her...and that accepting Pete's proposal had been a poor decision that thankfully she rectified.
                Last edited by Uber; 10 April 2005, 11:14 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Wow. It's been like a half hour and no posts!!! THIS IS JUST WRONG PEOPLE!!!

So, please allow me to jumpstart the thread again with a way cool shot of our Sam:

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    No, they're great Sally
                    And I love the 5th pic down from the top, where Amanda's playing around with that detonator. Made me lol so hard when I saw that on whichever behind the scenes vid I was watching
                    Yeah, Sally; great pics! I really liked the scene where AT is fooling around with the defibrilator... <ahem... hint, hint>
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

those are my two issues with pete

i really have no issue with her getting a guy. what i do have an issue with is pete's attitude in following her and not knowing when to take 'classified' as an answer.....then sam jsut letting him off the hook

that's the part that was wrong to me

then in affinity. ok, so she accepted the proposal. good for her. snogging pete in the middle of the stakeout?????

puhleese. acting like that will lose her the respect of her co-workers. it sucks but males and females are held to different levels of accepted behavior and, while it make good tv to have them kiss, in 'real life' it would get sam tagged with a bad rep and make her the topic of too much water cooler gossip, not a good thing for a lt colonel
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I personally think that she was waiting for jack to say something about the two of them having a relationship, but jack never did! Yes there were the occasional glances and flirting between them but nothing was actually said. I think when pete came along and showed her some attention she was enjoying it but still she wanted jack! I dont think pete was right for her anyway! haha!
                        SAM & JACK 4EVER!!

Comment

Not too big - and loved them!
                          In the first pic - it looks *cold* on that set! AT has a jacket over her jacket!
                          And I love that pic of AT directing on the set of Resurrection.
                          Love the Death Knell 'cosmetics'
                          And my favorite is the pic on the set of Changeling, where she's in the firefighter's gear and is being presented with some flowers.

Great pics, MajorSal!
                          Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 April 2005, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Except for that awful speech in the pilot, I liked Sam from the beginning.
                            I agree with you both!

The idea of *dating* Pete, I didn't have a problem with. As someone said a while back, she came out of Grace *determined* to have a personal life. But the way Pete was written, for Sam to *continue* in a relationship with him is best explained by the "concussion theory."
                            And again, nicely stated, Jckfan!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Wow. It's been like a half hour and no posts!!! THIS IS JUST WRONG PEOPLE!!!

So, please allow me to jumpstart the thread again with a way cool shot of our Sam:

*Great* shot from Avatar, Über! You've got 'way cool' Sam with *two* guns and you've got a Sam/Teal'c shot (for Sky! )

Comment

Originally posted by fan of jack
                                I personally think that she was waiting for jack to say something about the two of them having a relationship, but jack never did! Yes there were the occasional glances and flirting between them but nothing was actually said. I think when pete came along and showed her some attention she was enjoying it but still she wanted jack! I dont think pete was right for her anyway! haha!
                                Welcome aboard the SaGC, FanofJack!

Comment

Working...
                                X