Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Dude... I know I'm an idiot, but why the HECK can't I post a pic? I mean, I don't plan on posting ALL of these pics EVERY DAY or anything, but I can't even post one!
    You'll need to upload your pic somewhere on the web first. Try Imageshack or Photobucket or anyother webspace you might have

Then simply enclose the url for the pic in the [img] [/img] tags

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Astrog will admit to Feb 14 19?2

That's my mum's birthday as well, hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Regarding Battlestar Galactica...

I agree with you. There were about 2 eps after Starbuck getting marooned and then flying the cylon raider that really sucked.

HOWEVER, the rest of the eps after that were right back on track, starting I think with The Hand of God through the end of the season. And man, oh, man were there major cliffhangers there!

I've been comparing Starbuck with our Sam as best I can to see why I enjoy their characters so much.

Starbuck is less refined. She wears the uniform, but doesn't respect authority for authority's sake. Sam however, will show the respect due to rank, even if it kills her to do so (Foothold notwithstanding).

They both have senses of humor. They both have feelings for their CO...but Starbuck is more inclined to act rashly, whereas our beloved Sam is much more considered in her deliberations.

We'll see as time goes by how they develop the Starbuck character...I like the gumption it took to return to Cylon territory in part 1 of the season finale...and of course we've had so far 8 years to really fine tune Sam. Her character is certainly richer and deeper than the "Children of the Gods" Sam...

For the record, though...between Starbuck and Sam...

No competition. Sam wins every time!

So, who do I nag for a SG1/BSG crossover featuring Starbuck and Sam?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          I was born with blonde hair and blue eyes
          I'm 5'9" tall and
          I'm a Virgo (born Sept 2nd, 1967)

This unfortunately is where the similarities between Amanda and myself end.

Oh wait, I forgot we are both a mommy and extremely intelligent women!! *Cackles to herself*
          LOL! Great post, Kat! Made me smile, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

That's my mum's birthday as well, hmmm....
            Yeah, only a few folks get the 19?2 dates

Comment

Yeah, I have to admit I was a bit shocked with the up-against-the-wall scene in Chimera as well. Normally I wouldn't really be bothered by it as I've seen worse on other television shows. But here in Dallas, Stargate is shown at 7PM which is a prime-time family spot. Both of my kids, now 4yr girl and 14yr old boy, normally watch the show with me and I can tell you when that scene came on both my 14yr old and I were extremely shocked and a bit embarrassed.

More than anything I would have preferred a little advance warning with my kid. Maybe if I had read spoilers beforehand and been prepared for what to expect it wouldn't have seemed so inappropriate, but I've never had to worry about such a thing with Stargate before. The only thing that's even come close to it since is Prometheus Unbound ( and I didn't care for that episode either ). It's one of the reasons I haven't gotten too involved with BG this season as the episodes I have seen have all had strong sexual overtones.

Not only was this Sam's first relationship in over eight years, but it was obviously her first time with Pete: I just think Sam deserved something with a bit more class.

That said, I truly believe that her little adventurer on the Prometheus left her with much bigger issues than a concussion and hallucinations. I don't know if it was a mid-life crisis or just a chemical imbalance, but Sam really started to change a great deal after this episode: increased insecurities, judgement call issues, ect. It's almost as if wasn't the same Sam who came back from the Prometheus. Hmm...maybe those unnamed aliens did something with our Sam?
              I still keep hearing what Sky said pages back .. and then 'they started writing her as if she's got a massive concussion or something'... and then I always think of what Sky and MajorSal then said about Damien Kindler... who 'did a great job writing her when she *did* have a massive concussion' LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                Now that was disappointing. Dammit, that was Sam's story! <stamps foot>

Sam's always getting her stuff stolen away from her; where's the sympathy she needed and deserved in Desperate Measures and 2001, the chance to confront RepSam? Aaaand, a real sore point for me, PU spoilers)
                Spoiler:
                Vala uses Goa'uld tech in a way Sam'll never get to.
                <grrrrrrrrr>
                I love the <stamps foot>! Not being sarcastic either... I really like the imagery... I also agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment RE Sam and Replicarter and lack of resolution. Astrog joins TH <stamping feet>

Comment

That picking the ultimate Sam episode was hard! But, since I was forced to pick just one , I picked Grace. It had so many elements that i love, and it was soooo personal for her.

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Okay - here's another NAME THAT EP/NAME THAT SCENE picture:

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Name that episode

or add a caption!
                      Great Sam/Teal'c pic, Kat. And I have to ashamedly admit that I have no idea what episode it's from (and to have to admit that in front of folks who can cite the scene and dialogue from memory )

Comment

Thanks for the Blue, UberSG-1Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          She's an adult and my sense was that they'd had a few dates, so I wasn't so upset that she took him home. But I'm in favor of the more subtle approach. We would have all gotten the idea fine if they had cut off the scene at the point where he gets out of the car and follows her into the house and kids may have been none the wiser.
                          Yeah, I have to admit I was a bit shocked with the up-against-the-wall scene in Chimera as well. Normally I wouldn't really be bothered by it as I've seen worse on other television shows. But here in Dallas, Stargate is shown at 7PM which is a prime-time family spot. Both of my kids, now 4yr girl and 14yr old boy, normally watch the show with me and I can tell you when that scene came on both my 14yr old and I were extremely shocked and a bit embarrassed.

More than anything I would have preferred a little advance warning with my kid. Maybe if I had read spoilers beforehand and been prepared for what to expect it wouldn't have seemed so inappropriate, but I've never had to worry about such a thing with Stargate before. The only thing that's even come close to it since is Prometheus Unbound ( and I didn't care for that episode either ). It's one of the reasons I haven't gotten too involved with BG this season as the episodes I have seen have all had strong sexual overtones.

Not only was this Sam's first relationship in over eight years, but it was obviously her first time with Pete: I just think Sam deserved something with a bit more class.

That said, I truly believe that her little adventurer on the Prometheus left her with much bigger issues than a concussion and hallucinations. I don't know if it was a mid-life crisis or just a chemical imbalance, but Sam really started to change a great deal after this episode: increased insecurities, judgement call issues, ect. It's almost as if wasn't the same Sam who came back from the Prometheus. Hmm...maybe those unnamed aliens did something with our Sam?
                          Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                          I have to agree with you all about this scene. I'm not a prude by any means, and there are no children in the house to worry about, but I just hated that scene. I think it jarred as it was so un-Stargate. Anytime we've had anything to do with relationships with the guys, there were never any scenes like that. I agree with the poster that suggested stopping the scene as Pete left the car to go into the house, as it all went downhill for me once we got to the mad kissing against the wall. Goodness only knows what TPTB were thinking about with the morning after scene. I know they wanted to have the angst of Sam not being able to talk about her work, but surely there was a better way of doing that?
                          I could rant for Scotland about that whole episode, as I thought it sucked big time. I think that these writers just can't do romance, and should just stick to the blowing stuff up episodes!
                          I have to weigh in and say that I was OK with the scenes up to when Pete acted childish and bullying the next morning. Now I don't like a lot of the scenes that they wrote for Sam *after* Chimera, but I was OK with both Grace and Chimera in terms of exploring Sam's personal life and some of the issues that she's struggling with. I also really liked seeing her have a life outside of the SGC. I liked the idea that she was dating (I didn't need for it to go to a 'boyfriend-girlfriend' steady relationship... nor to an engagement), but I did like the idea that she was dating. And the whole up-against-the-wall and in-bed settings didn't bother me... but I think that says a lot about what's just normal fare on TV nowadays. Now I don't have kids to worry about, but it didn't seem it was much different from most other 'general fare'... where would it get rated? PG-13?

And, while I wasn't expecting them to show Sam and Pete kissing ardently against the wall... I have to admit that a large part of me was thinking 'You Go Girl!'.... (astrog ducks) Of course, I have a left-over Ascension 'chip on my shoulder' in that I was extremely disappointed when they made a point out of Sam having *no* messages on her phone machine... and basically no social life... I mean C'mon! If nothing else, there would have been a message from the dentist reminding her of an appt or a message from her brother or a message from a telemarketer or some such. And then of course, being a single woman... I guess I was just rooting for her

So while I was surprised, I wasn't that shocked... and I quickly thought it was pretty cool... although I wouldn't have wanted them to show any more 'details'.

I think I was more shocked when they had Daniel 'procreate' those Goa'uld hatchlings with Hathor.... and I was really stunned when Jack 'slept' with that woman after he 'had cake'... both of those left me going 'huh?' with how the show glossed over the men's actions. Now, I realize that in each case, they guys were 'under the influence'... but still... it all seemed to be taken with so little reaction (let alone repurcussions).

And, Bev: I love the 'I could rant for Scotland' phrase... where does that come from?

Comment

My guess is that Replicarter is not gone - the white light at the end seemed to me to encompass Daniel AND Replicarter and it is my belief, so far, that they have plans for RC in 9. I hope that, perhaps, one of the things Mallozzi was alluding to, in that oh-so not-specific way he has, with his most recent response to a Carter question on the Ask JM thread, was to watch S9 because they do have good, solid plans for Carter. It is my hope that those plans will include RC since everyone at Stargate productions must know by now that that storyline was a HUGE hit with fans (if they don't know it then I really have no hope for them . . . at all). Therefore, I believe there is still a chance that the real Carter will get her day with RC and will kick her a$$ from here to kingdom come.
                            Last edited by binkpmmc; 09 April 2005, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              a SG1/BSG crossover featuring Starbuck and Sam?
                              You've got my vote and support

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                                You've got my vote and support
                                Nice idea...however someone posed it to JM and he said quite specifically...
                                Originally posted by JMallozzi
                                Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho:
                                And my last, waaaay out there question, has there been any thought on merging Battlestar Galactica and Stargate? They are, after all - on their way...
                                Nope.

And thus ends the BSG SG-1 crossover speculation.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X