No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

majorsam: I currently stand at 5'10 (Juust taller than Amanda) Good luck to Olivia for becoming as strong and wonderful a person as her mom!!!! (I mean no offense to short/er people, I just love my height )
    I’m 183cm tall (?in feet?) and have always hated my height. It causes me to stick out above everyone else, and it’s invariably the first thing anyone comments on when they meet me.
    I am thrilled to announce the birth of my daughter Olivia B on Tuesday March 22nd at 6:29pm. She is beautiful and healthy!
    She weighed in at 9 lbs 4ozs and was 22 inches long. I am over the moon in love!
    Thanks to all of you for your prayers and good wishes. Labour and delivery were amazing. With the help of an incredible support team I was able to deliver without any drugs or intervention.
    I am deliriously happy.
    Thank you for all of the support and love we have received from you.
    With love,
    Amanda, Alan and Olivia
    I weighed 10lb 6oz and 21.5 inches long when I was born. Nice to know Olivia is a big healthy baby. I am very happy for Amanda. She sounds so joyful.

Talking of birthdays, I started making a list of samandan birthdays. My original intention was to go through this entire thread, listing everyone who’s ever posted here in order of appearance. I got up to page 4, and decided I was being stupid. So, I’ll re-post the incomplete list I made of the regular posters that I started a month or so ago. I’m not leaving any of you off on purpose, it’s just still in progress, and if anyone has the time to help with the list, you’re welcome. It would be nice to have a fairly good list of people’s birthdays, as I only stumbled across chopingal’s by fluke, and because she’d mentioned it. Wading through the gateworld calendar has proved useless, as there are too many names… finding a samandan amongst them is… no, I won’t talk about haystacks. Wading through this thread is just as impossible, as I get nowhere very fast. The only thing I can think is if people feel like posting their own birthdays to be added to the list?

majorsal--
    Tok’ra hostess--
    skydiver--
    tara 3583--November 9, 1954
    dipsofjazz--August 20, 1959
    sam fan--May 20, 1988
    astrogeologist--
    Chopingal--March 15
    coley--
    Agent Dark--October 18
    Uber--June 19
    Kat--September 2
    NC--December 18
    Strix--February 17
    majorsam--january 4
    the dancer of spaz--January 4
    (our lurker extroidinaire and our president share a birthday!)

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Just voted on the Ultimate Sam episode. This was difficult. I decided on Solitudes even though it was very early on, because we see Sam as scientist, tough individual and caring person all in one episode. If I voted tomorrow I'd probably pick another one...

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
        <snip>

Talking of birthdays, I started making a list of samandan birthdays. My original intention was to go through this entire thread, listing everyone who’s ever posted here in order of appearance. I got up to page 4, and decided I was being stupid. So, I’ll re-post the incomplete list I made of the regular posters that I started a month or so ago. I’m not leaving any of you off on purpose, it’s just still in progress, and if anyone has the time to help with the list, you’re welcome. It would be nice to have a fairly good list of people’s birthdays, as I only stumbled across chopingal’s by fluke, and because she’d mentioned it. Wading through the gateworld calendar has proved useless, as there are too many names… finding a samandan amongst them is… no, I won’t talk about haystacks. Wading through this thread is just as impossible, as I get nowhere very fast. The only thing I can think is if people feel like posting their own birthdays to be added to the list?

majorsal--
        Tok’ra hostess--
        skydiver--
        sam fan--May 20, 1988
        astrogeologist--
        Chopingal--March 15
        coley--
        Agent Dark--October 18
        Uber--June 19
        Kat--September 2
        NC--December 18
        Strix--February 17
        majorsam--january 4
        You can put the year too for me if you'd like:
        ÜberSG-1Fan (Mary Beth House): June 19, 1973

Which means I'll be *gasp* 32 in just a short few months!!!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

BTW, still looking for people to post eps they'd like me to use as a basis for my "Sam is the Hero in Almost EVERY SG Episode" theory...

Please remind me of what you'd like us to do. I may have zoned out. Wouldn't be the first time. Name episodes where Sam is obviously a hero or where it isn't a Sam episode but she saves the day? Do we tell you where she saves the day or are we trying to stump you?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            I agree with you Jckfan - they missed a great opportunity there. And when they didn't have her do it in Gemini, I was sure they would have her do it in a later episode. The storyline just begged for the confrontation - and for our Sam to come out on top. Instead, they had Daniel take on Replicarter.
            Now that was disappointing. Dammit, that was Sam's story! <stamps foot>

Sam's always getting her stuff stolen away from her; where's the sympathy she needed and deserved in Desperate Measures and 2001, the chance to confront RepSam? Aaaand, a real sore point for me, PU spoilers)
            Spoiler:
            Vala uses Goa'uld tech in a way Sam'll never get to.
            <grrrrrrrrr>
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Please remind me of what you'd like us to do. I may have zoned out. Wouldn't be the first time. Name episodes where Sam is obviously a hero or where it isn't a Sam episode but she saves the day? Do we tell you where she saves the day or are we trying to stump you?
              Well, essentially just choose an episode and I'll try to show how Carter's input/involvement helped save the day.

Someone's already suggested "Crossroads" which may be one of those eps where her involvement was so nil as to be insignificant.

But I STILL say that Sam is the hero of almost every episode! So pick one and I'll see if I can make my point...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Well, essentially just choose an episode and I'll try to show how Carter's input/involvement helped save the day.

Someone's already suggested "Crossroads" which may be one of those eps where her involvement was so nil as to be insignificant.

But I STILL say that Sam is the hero of almost every episode! So pick one and I'll see if I can make my point...

Ok. How about Absolute Power and the First Ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  Now that was disappointing. Dammit, that was Sam's story! <stamps foot>

Sam's always getting her stuff stolen away from her; where's the sympathy she needed and deserved in Desperate Measures and 2001, the chance to confront RepSam? Aaaand, a real sore point for me, PU spoilers)
                  Spoiler:
                  Vala uses Goa'uld tech in a way Sam'll never get to.
                  <grrrrrrrrr>
                  Yes, it was Sam's story in my mind too. Daniel did great with it, don't get me wrong, but Sam should have had the chance to take her out.

Comment

Ok. How about Absolute Power and the First Ones?
                    Hmm. Methinks the Citizenry of our fair Samanda are specifically picking Sam-Lite episodes with which to challenge me....

So perhaps I need to be more specific. Try to pick a random ep out of your head and suggest it...because obviously if she's only on screen for 2 minutes, she more than likely wouldn't have had the chance to save the day!!!

Comment

I am really fed up with tv right now. Why is everything about sex and relationships? Once upon a time I could turn the tv on and watch something, which even if it wasn’t that good, still had a basic story plot. Now everything I try watching, it’s all sop, or sex, or about people’s body image. I am articularly pissed off with Battlestar Galactica right now. I was just starting to enjoy it, with that absolutely fun and brilliant episode with Starbuck stuck on a planet, and then rigging up the cylon ship and flying it. I particularly like the way she made herself identifiable as her and not just another cylon attack with the tape on the underside. And I loved what Apollo said, about ‘flying with attitude’. I like Starbuck, in a way because she gives me a lot of the Pilot that I don’t get as much of in Sam… because I’ve really enjoyed the few times that they’ve shown Sam as a pilot. But now, these past two episodes after that eisode, they’ve been boring, dull, have had no real storyline or plot, and they’ve been mostly all about stupid Guyus and his cylon sex partner in his head. It really spoils things for me.
                      The worst part is, after episodes such as Prometheus Unbound, I feel like they are taking Stargate in a similar diection. Why do they feel they need to change the image of a show and sex it up? I mean, Vala is a perfect example of what I hate in sci fi shows, and for that matter all tv.
                      *rant over*
                      sorry

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Hmm. Methinks the Citizenry of our fair Samanda are specifically picking Sam-Lite episodes with which to challenge me....

So perhaps I need to be more specific. Try to pick a random ep out of your head and suggest it...because obviously if she's only on screen for 2 minutes, she more than likely wouldn't have had the chance to save the day!!!
                        I just went to a dvd box and picked titles I that didn't jump out at me as Sam episodes. But I do remember Sam making an important contribution in Absolute Power. Don't remember so much in the First Ones....

Comment

majorsal--
                          Tok’ra hostess (Gracie)--
                          skydiver (Denise)--
                          sam fan--May 20, 1988
                          astrogeologist--
                          Chopingal--March 15
                          coley--
                          Agent Dark--October 18
                          Uber (Mary Beth House)--June 19, 1973 (soon to be 32 )
                          Forever (Kat)--September 2
                          NC--December 18
                          Strix--February 17
                          majorsam--january 4

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I am really fed up with tv right now. Why is everything about sex and relationships? Once upon a time I could turn the tv on and watch something, which even if it wasn’t that good, still had a basic story plot...
                            The worst part is, after episodes such as Prometheus Unbound, I feel like they are taking Stargate in a similar diection. Why do they feel they need to change the image of a show and sex it up? I mean, Vala is a perfect example of what I hate in sci fi shows, and for that matter all tv.
                            *rant over*
                            sorry
                            I know what you mean. Do they think "adult"/"mature" storylines have to be synonymous with sex only? I'm not saying you can't have that angle, but how about well plotted stories with characters we care about? There is a place for a variety of styles of storytelling & SG1 works fine as a SF adventure/drama without turning it into, I don't know, "Melrose Place?" I'm hoping PU (holding nose) is simply an aberration.

BTW, how was your trip, DS?

Comment

I am really fed up with tv right now. Why is everything about sex and relationships? Once upon a time I could turn the tv on and watch something, which even if it wasn’t that good, still had a basic story plot. Now everything I try watching, it’s all sop, or sex, or about people’s body image. I am articularly pissed off with Battlestar Galactica right now. I was just starting to enjoy it, with that absolutely fun and brilliant episode with Starbuck stuck on a planet, and then rigging up the cylon ship and flying it. I particularly like the way she made herself identifiable as her and not just another cylon attack with the tape on the underside. And I loved what Apollo said, about ‘flying with attitude’. I like Starbuck, in a way because she gives me a lot of the Pilot that I don’t get as much of in Sam… because I’ve really enjoyed the few times that they’ve shown Sam as a pilot. But now, these past two episodes after that eisode, they’ve been boring, dull, have had no real storyline or plot, and they’ve been mostly all about stupid Guyus and his cylon sex partner in his head. It really spoils things for me.
                              *rant over*
                              sorry
                              Regarding Battlestar Galactica...

I agree with you. There were about 2 eps after Starbuck getting marooned and then flying the cylon raider that really sucked.

HOWEVER, the rest of the eps after that were right back on track, starting I think with The Hand of God through the end of the season. And man, oh, man were there major cliffhangers there!

I've been comparing Starbuck with our Sam as best I can to see why I enjoy their characters so much.

Starbuck is less refined. She wears the uniform, but doesn't respect authority for authority's sake. Sam however, will show the respect due to rank, even if it kills her to do so (Foothold notwithstanding).

They both have senses of humor. They both have feelings for their CO...but Starbuck is more inclined to act rashly, whereas our beloved Sam is much more considered in her deliberations.

We'll see as time goes by how they develop the Starbuck character...I like the gumption it took to return to Cylon territory in part 1 of the season finale...and of course we've had so far 8 years to really fine tune Sam. Her character is certainly richer and deeper than the "Children of the Gods" Sam...

For the record, though...between Starbuck and Sam...

No competition. Sam wins every time!

Last edited by Uber; 09 April 2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

She's an adult and my sense was that they'd had a few dates, so I wasn't so upset that she took him home. But I'm in favor of the more subtle approach. We would have all gotten the idea fine if they had cut off the scene at the point where he gets out of the car and follows her into the house and kids may have been none the wiser.
                                Yeah, I have to admit I was a bit shocked with the up-against-the-wall scene in Chimera as well. Normally I wouldn't really be bothered by it as I've seen worse on other television shows. But here in Dallas, Stargate is shown at 7PM which is a prime-time family spot. Both of my kids, now 4yr girl and 14yr old boy, normally watch the show with me and I can tell you when that scene came on both my 14yr old and I were extremely shocked and a bit embarrassed.

More than anything I would have preferred a little advance warning with my kid. Maybe if I had read spoilers beforehand and been prepared for what to expect it wouldn't have seemed so inappropriate, but I've never had to worry about such a thing with Stargate before. The only thing that's even come close to it since is Prometheus Unbound ( and I didn't care for that episode either ). It's one of the reasons I haven't gotten too involved with BG this season as the episodes I have seen have all had strong sexual overtones.

Not only was this Sam's first relationship in over eight years, but it was obviously her first time with Pete: I just think Sam deserved something with a bit more class.

That said, I truly believe that her little adventurer on the Prometheus left her with much bigger issues than a concussion and hallucinations. I don't know if it was a mid-life crisis or just a chemical imbalance, but Sam really started to change a great deal after this episode: increased insecurities, judgement call issues, ect. It's almost as if wasn't the same Sam who came back from the Prometheus. Hmm...maybe those unnamed aliens did something with our Sam?

Comment

Working...
                                X