Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tara3583

We will be going to Gabit events when Amanda has given out her new dates and as this will be the first time of meeting her just to be able to tell her those things would be great!
    Hey There

I should be coming across the pond for that too and look forward to meeting someone from this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      A good and thoughtful response which led me to start racking my brain over times that Carter balked at what the guys were telling her to do, etc. You and AstroG seemed to name a lot of the scenes, how about Singularity too when she refuses to give Cassie to O'Neill for the trip down to the bunker and then when she disobeys his order to return to the surface and goes back down to Cassie. She also has had disagreements and spoken up to McKay about how to proceed on saving Teal'c in 48 Hours plus the great line "Go suck a lemon", and the follow-up episode where McKay returns and they disagree again over the way to handle another crisis. Also, in the episode where Hammond was forced to retire, she had to obey the new general but her body language and looks conveyed the message that she did not agree with his plan (and she was later proved correct). Her steely look said it all when Jack was facing her as he ordered the iris closed in The Other Side and knew that there was someone coming through the wormhole after them. I think Sam is smart enough to know when or where she cannot challenge the establishment and has learned the art of compromise, a necessary survival skill, sometimes, in an organization run predominantly by males. Just because she seems to be smiling a lot, doesn't necessarily imply that she's allowing herself to be a doormat. I think she has a good sense of just how far she can go in certain circumstances and with which people.

Very nice post. I agree that she's learned the art of comprimise etc. I think she allowed herself some more snarkiness with McKay because he's not military, and obviously just... McKay! he wasn't her superior officer, or even an officer at all. But McKay being the lovable guy he is, she knew it didn't matter if she was a bit less proffessional than normal. Just a thought.

I don't think the smiling comments imply that she's a doormat, but rather she's sometimes maybe too comprimising. She puts herself low on the priority list, opting to always help others first. She works for the greater goal, not just a spur of the moment thing, so she sucks it up and takes it.

While I think this is a really good thing and shows her strength even more, I still think that there's only so far one can go. She's always been as realistic a character as she can be, and that for me includes sometimes going on the spur of the moment whims. With Jack and his ways of dealing with things, either shutting off, or losing it, well, he was in Special Ops for how long? He has a more troubled past than Sam, even with her mother's death etc.

The more crap that happens to a person, the more extreme they'll be. With Sam, I believe she's just getting into the really bad things, like Jack had in his Ops days. TV shows always go on about the horrors those people see, and how they're so different because of it. I would want to finally see a person going through that bad stuff, nto just hear about the aftermath. Jack was suicidal after Charlies death, the triggering event taht let loose all of the stuff he'd been withholding. What if something happenend in Reckoning, or another upcoming ep, that triggered Sam? All the stuff that's happened to her lately, all the years of comprimising... I dunno, just a dream of mine.
      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        ... (re Sam Carter) ...

I can't think of many women that could have filled the role as capably as she has, not only for what she is capable of, but for what she refuses to do. I have always liked what Carmen Argenziano once said about AT - that she puts him in mind of Merryl Streep - another brillant, talented and intelligent human being.
        And AT, herself, has said that Meryl Streep is one of her role models (along with Carol Burnett!) - a very interesting combination.

Comment

Hey There

I should be coming across the pond for that too and look forward to meeting someone from this thread!
          my friend and i are hoping to come too

maybe we can have a GAteworld/Gabit get together

It'll be the Triple G or something like that
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
            Very nice post. I agree that she's learned the art of comprimise etc. I think she allowed herself some more snarkiness with McKay because he's not military, and obviously just... McKay! he wasn't her superior officer, or even an officer at all. But McKay being the lovable guy he is, she knew it didn't matter if she was a bit less proffessional than normal. Just a thought.

I don't think the smiling comments imply that she's a doormat, but rather she's sometimes maybe too comprimising. She puts herself low on the priority list, opting to always help others first. She works for the greater goal, not just a spur of the moment thing, so she sucks it up and takes it.

While I think this is a really good thing and shows her strength even more, I still think that there's only so far one can go. She's always been as realistic a character as she can be, and that for me includes sometimes going on the spur of the moment whims. With Jack and his ways of dealing with things, either shutting off, or losing it, well, he was in Special Ops for how long? He has a more troubled past than Sam, even with her mother's death etc.

The more crap that happens to a person, the more extreme they'll be. With Sam, I believe she's just getting into the really bad things, like Jack had in his Ops days. TV shows always go on about the horrors those people see, and how they're so different because of it. I would want to finally see a person going through that bad stuff, nto just hear about the aftermath. Jack was suicidal after Charlies death, the triggering event taht let loose all of the stuff he'd been withholding. What if something happenend in Reckoning, or another upcoming ep, that triggered Sam? All the stuff that's happened to her lately, all the years of comprimising... I dunno, just a dream of mine.
            MS - you brought up another good point: Sam is self-effacing at times. She does think of others first. Going back to Gemini, the RC knew this about Sam and used it to gain her sympathy from the start. It became Sam's weakness in that episode and now she has to deal with the consequences. So, she may become more forceful, less trusting, as a result. And what will be her breaking point? What may drive her over the edge? Let's all stay tuned and hope the writers develop this further ....

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

and...realistically, sam will win more folks over by logically arguing with them than she will by losing her temper and yelling.

it's a nasty doublestandard....men lose their temper and act out, they're manly...women do it, they're irrational and hysterical

by staying calm and composed, she maintians her rep as being reliable.
              Yes. This is what I was trying to say in regard to some fans' reactions to Sam's expression of frustration toward Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost. Some thought she was whiney and a poor leader because of her outburst. I have to say, that interpretation blew my mind! I couldn't imagine the same reaction if it were Jack, Daniel, or Teal'c doing the same thing in that situation.

Not only do the people around Sam use this double standard and so Sam adapts to this male-dominated environment, but I think some of the fan's interpretation and reactions to Sam's expression of anger seem to reflect this double standard. (We are all susceptible to this).

Comment

There is a great chance that this incident may spur Sam to take more control over her own existence. She may get a little more cynical, a little more bitter. It happens under circumstances, and Gemini would certainly be cause for that.

I'm all for Sam character development. I'm hoping for a little more of the bite and strength that she had pre-season 7. I still love Sam's character, but she's changed a bit. Mellowed even more. Bring on the spunk! But she needn't become over-the-top. Her rationality is her gift, and she must maintain that. The humor would help a bit, though. Something like "you're an idiot every day of the week? Couldn't you take a day off?" kind of stuff wouldn't hurt.

We may even need a little bit of that with RDA's absence next season. I mean, if they gave Browder a snarky personality, it would seem a little like a rip-off. But the other three characters, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c can in some sense perhaps compensate so the O'Neill aura isn't lost forever. I'm not asking for them to turn "believer" like they did with Scully on the X-Files. Just that the dynamic and atmosphere maintains its "sanctity."

Comment

Thanks MajorSam for sharing your experiences with Amanda and your own experiences. I appreciate it, like others. I knowyou will let her know how much she is appreciated (my guess is she knows this from so many fans already). Really rambling now, but I am really impressed by the large fanbase AT (and Sam) does have in terms of websites, threads, and yahoo groups. I say this, not because she shouldn't or doesn't deserve it, but because a majority of fans online are women (is that right?). So, it makes sense that there would be a solid fanbase for RDA (also because of his previous popularity), MS and CJ (like the Thunk threads, and then other sites/yahoo groups). If more men were more inclined to be part of fandom, I'n not sure what her fanbase would look like!

Does anyone know if other Scifi leading actresses have a similar fanbase as AT? Is this typical?

Comment

Talking about Sam's "encounter" with Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost reminded me of a great story of Skydiver's called Change of Heart. It's about his perspective on that event after he and Daniel have been rescued in Evolution 2. You can check it out at here . I hope you don't mind me linking to the story, Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      Talking about Sam's "encounter" with Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost reminded me of a great story of Skydiver's called Change of Heart. It's about his perspective on that event after he and Daniel have been rescued in Evolution 2. You can check it out at here . I hope you don't mind me linking to the story, Skydiver.
                      GREAT short story Skydiver! A wonderful addition to Paradise Lost and Evolution 2 and the relationship between Dr. Lee and Sam!

Comment

I have a comment to make.

This is for Amanda, if she ever reads this thread.

In Amanda's latest interview (TV Zone Special #61), she made a comment that I'd like to respond to. Like I said, I hope Amanda reads this.

Amanda said: (edited) "She's become a great woman. I really like Sam and I don't want her to be just Jack's gal, and I don't think Rick wants it either."

As an avid Sam/Jack shipper, I can tell you that there's not one, single S/J shipper that wants Sam to be 'just' Jack's woman. Or Jack to be just Sam's guy. The vast majority of S/J shippers are also big fans of Sam and Jack individually, and with me, I'm a bigger Sam fan than anything else. The S/J ship is one aspect of Sam that I love, but it's not everything. And I can tell you without fail, ALL shippers feel the same.

K, I'm done. I hope I haven't offended anyone or derailed this thread. I just wanted Amanda to know that S/J ship is merely one thread of a very interesting character tapestry.

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                          What would be great is to see Sam loose all control over her actions, maybe she's been druged or had some local brew that had a adverse afect on her or put into the same type of situation as Jack by being tourted to the brink of death (nothing gory) but would push her to her utmost limits.
                          I asked Joe Mallozzi once that if Sam had been the one being tortured by Baal in Abyss, would it have been the same. Joe said no, it would have been different (not exact words). I only watched Abyss once (don't like torture scenes, especially with RDA/Jack), but I'd love to have seen Sam/Amanda in that situation. Like you said, Tara, it would have been beyond interesting to see Sam handle something like that. I just really want to see Sam pushed beyond her limits.

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            I think it's time to post my thoughts on Gemini...

spoilers for s8's gemini

Spoiler:
                            I loved it! Amanda once again nailed a very difficult scenario with ease. Quoting Amanda from her recent interview in TV Zone issue 61:

"Gemini is probably the hardest episode I've done in these eight years. It was physically and emotionally demanding, and required a great deal of homework. That said, I think the pay-off was worth it. It turned out to be a neat episdoe."

Well, Amanda, you pulled it off! There were subtle and not so subtle differences between Sam and Replicarter that only a great actress would be able to do. More from Amanda:

"One of the biggest challenges was trying to creat subtle differences between the two Carters. They have the same consciousness, memories and emotional base, but in my opinion, a different heart, which is how I chose to play it. Repl-Catter was created by Fifth and spent most of her time with him, so she's a bit harder and quite duplicitous. I actually think my face looked slightly different as Repli-Carter because of the set of my jaw and other little things that I intentionally did. Another challenge was doing long wordy scenes opposite myself, and I'm so hard to work with. I mean, what a pain in the ass. I had fun, but it was a tough shoot."

If my local cable company wasn't in league with Sokar, I'd have been able to record the ep to keep. Argh!, and I tried twice! Anyhoo, Amanda did it again. Stand up and take a bow!

I also think that Sam was not being stupid for trying to trust Replicarter. RC tricked her AND Fifth, and Sam so badly wanted to believe her and help her and save the situation, and all it accomplished was getting slapped in the face for her efforts (literally). It made sense to me. Sam 'was' at fault for some of it, but so was Jack and Teal'c as well. Sam just couldn't believe that 'she'd' be that bad, seeing as they basically came from the same seed. RC was a twisted and perverted imagine of what Sam could never turn out to be, even if she 'had' been through the same torture as RC.

Sally
                            Fantastic comments!

I love the quote of AT saying: "Another challenge was doing long wordy scenes opposite myself, and I'm so hard to work with. I mean, what a pain in the ass. I had fun, but it was a tough shoot." Definitely shows that she doesn't think too much of herself... others on this thread have used the term self-effacing - and it fits her nicely!

I also liked how you put this:
                            Spoiler:
                            RC was a twisted and perverted imagine of what Sam could never turn out to be, even if she 'had' been through the same torture as RC.

In the episode 'Gemini'
                            Spoiler:
                            , I liked the scenes that showed us some of what Fifth put Sam through... forcing her to mentally experience killing her friends... killing the other members of SG-1 - especially Jack. It made more sense of her tone of voice in 'New Order' when she told Fifth that she could never love him.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 23 January 2005, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abodie
                              First of all I want to say that I like the character of Sam. I think AT is a fantastic actress but I feel the character of Samantha Carter is some male writer's fantasy of the perfect millitary woman. She's beautiful, intelligent, and submissive. Yes, submissive. After 7 seasons of her being understanding and calm with all her male co-workers, I'd like to see her tell them just once to stick it! I want to see her loose her temper and threaten them bodily harm. The only time we got to see her loose it was when she jumped on Jack and tried to seduce him in Broca Divide. Is this the only display of Sam loosing her cool that they could come up with? Nice script for RDA though. You can't tell me that in all these years she hasn't gotten mad enough to throw a fit. She just sits there and smiles. It's not human...maybe the real Sam is in an alternative universe and Replicator Sam has been in her place all along.

The two main times I can remember Sam losing it (besides Broca Divide), is in Ascension and The Light. With Ascension, it wasn't so much losing it, as getting close to losing it. Her friends, teammates, and even her government literally betrayed her. In The Light, it's when she was going through withdrawl and confronted/yelled at Jack. But like you, I'd like to see Sam 'really' lose it, but without horrible consequences because of it (court martial or someone's death).

Sally

*edited to add* I just read past the post I made my above reply to, and I saw I missed a few 'Sam losing it' moments.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

<snip>

Also, in the episode where Hammond was forced to retire, she had to obey the new general but her body language and looks conveyed the message that she did not agree with his plan (and she was later proved correct).
                                That ep was (after looking up the name on Gateworld ) Chain Reaction - season 4. I would have *loved* to have seen Sam disobey General Bauer and get thrown in the slammer! No, really, I think that would have been interesting to see. When Bauer wanted her to make that naquada bomb, I wish they'd have had Sam refuse to do it. I'm sure Bauer would have relieved Sam of duty and put her in the brig. Wouldn't that have been fun to see?! I could just see Daniel and Teal'c visiting her, and Jack blowing a gasket when he returned and found out Sam was currently sitting in a cell. Missed opportunity!

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X