No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoilers for s8's covenant and reckoning two. i'm not using spoiler tags, so be careful

well, astro, once again you make reading a simple post like reading a cherished novel.

(((((astro)))))

regarding this *wonderful* exchange between Sam and her dad:

Originally posted by astro
    Sam: “Midday, the darkness is high in the sky”?! You sure about that?
    Selmak: That is what it says.
    Sam: It doesn’t make much sense.
    Jacob: Yeah, well neither does, uh, (he looks at the clipboard) “the wind blows on the pillow” or “three days to the chicken,” but that’s what these phrases apparently translate into.
    I cracked up! If I could change my callsign at random, I'd use 'the wind blows on the pillow' and 'three days to the chicken'.

There were lots of Sam scenes in Covenant... and she got to fly - front seat , but this show truly focussed on the character of Colson, and Sam really played 'backseat' (or reactionary) to Colson. But I really did like seeing Sam in the front seat of the 302!
    I enjoyed that ep too, and for exactly those reasons. Sam finally flew a plane!!!

Another thing about that ep... I felt the friend of Alec (Brian I think his name was) literally stole that ep from Charles (Alec). I can't remember that actor's name, but I thought he was great. I like Charles, but this guy 'really' gave it his all. I was very impressed.

With that said, I am glad that AT is coming back for some of Season 9... Season 8 may have accomplished important things for the character of Sam Carter, but I wouldn't want to end the Sam Carter saga with Season 8.
    ... To tell you the truth, I'm seriously considering just picking up the show with the ep where Sam comes back. I've NEVER missed an ep (even the ones that killed me to watch as a shipper), but... I just can't find anything to get excited about. *sigh* Here's hoping she only misses the first five eps....

Many have said it before (myself included), but I hope that Season 9 brings us some strong, heroic Carter episodes... I'm hoping to see that competent officer... in command... and leading well... I'm hoping to see Carter's character intimately involved with the scifi storylines... I'd like to see her character get 'scifi'd' like she did with Jolinar and Orlin... I don't want to see her Tokra'd again... but having her use some of the powers that she has from the naquadah and protein marker in her system - that would be cool. And I'm hoping that AT can maintain that warmer, softer side while projecting the competence and confidence of an Air Force Colonel. AT's probably the only actress that I've seen who can pull that off.
    From what little I know of the character Vala (I watched Prometheus Unbound, but didn't pay 100 percent attention to it)... I think Vala can use healing devices and such. I hope they don't take one of the things that's unique to Sam (her use of Goauld/Tokra thingers) and give it to another character.

Okay, someone quickly give me some uplifting whatever to make me stop feeling so down with things! A spoiler would help , but a margarita would do fine too.

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      and to celebrate gateworld being back up

new fic

www.geocities.com/sky_diver119/drama/stages.htm

sam focused, in a way, and set in and around death knell
      This a fantastic story, Skydiver!
      Well-written... you handle the angst so well!

And I loved how you went someplace completely new with the Death Knell episode tag... inventing a story to go with the dead soldier that we saw propped against a tree (just as Sam was resting against another tree). Again -wonderful story, Sky! Just love reading your fics!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        More Threads
        Spoiler space

Dialogue

Sam: Dad?
        Jacob: He hung on as long as he could, then he slipped into a coma just after we activated the weapon on Dakara.
        Sam: You’ve known all this time since then?
        Jacob: I didn’t wanna spoil your wedding. Now, I thought we could make it.
        Sam: “We”?
        Jacob: He’s barely alive. I’m gonna die with him, Sam.

Dialogue

Sam: I love my job.

Dialogue

Jack: C’me here
        Sam: Thank you, sir.
        Jack: For what?
        Sam: For being here for me.
        Jack: Always.

NC
        *Wonderful screencaps, dialogue and audio clips*, NC! I've put them into the Season 8 Sam-highlight summary list. More blue jello!

Comment

[QUOTE=majorsal][QUOTE=chocdoc]
          Originally posted by astrogeologist
          I wish they'd had continued with this for Sam. I wonder why they dropped it?

I'm going CRAZY!!! with no new Sam spoilers to get excited about! How can we plan and rejoice when we have no bloody idea about where Sam is even at, or what she's doing. Argh and double argh.

(I'm getting discouraged as a Sam fan and shipper, so please excuse the whining. )

Sally
          I am in a very cynical mood so I will give you my take on why they did not continue this arc - which was a stong character arc, (just like they dropped Cassie, another strong arc for the character) - they wanted to digress the character which, IMO, they succeeded in doing in spades through the end of season 8. I dearly hope TPTB have heard the call to bring back the old Carter and give her strong character arcs in S9 as they have been given an opportunity here to fix what they horribly broke and distorted, IMO.

As for no news or spoilers about Carter - that is the intention of TPTB - they need, and probably desperately want, to keep the Carter fans and with the almost total lack of O'Neill in later eps (so we hear) there will be little to no VISIBLE J/S interaction so they have to have something to rope in the old, loyal fans. If my instincts are somewhat accurate, a lot of the J/S shippers are also Carter and O'Neill fans separate and apart from the ship and I think for many BB1, BB2, CB, LG, LD won't cut it so they need to keep the "old" fans hooked and without the continuous presence of O'Neill throughout the season keeping Carter's whereabouts and how they intend to bring her back and whether they intend to give her command of SG1, (or completely gut the character by taking command away from her), is their way of stringing many along (just like they have with the shippers for so many years). It is a nasty little game TPTB play, IMO and I just wish they would grow up.

BTW, Mallozzi says on the Ask JM thread that BB1 gets command of SG1 at the beginning because Carter is not available - they did not "CHOOSE" (JMs capitalization). I hope this is a veiled nugget to say that when Carter returns to rejoin the team that they give commnad back to her since they did not "choose" to take it away in the first place but they need to have a commander in her absence and when she returns they CHOOSE to give it back. If they do not then TPTB will have proven to me that they are indeed weak-willed and spineless and just do not get it. I also have to hope that they will give Carter command of SG1 because of the risk they run of alientating the "old" fanbase even further and losing a chunk of them - it is clear from comments, from JM vists to the forum, from Citizen Joe and from comments Carter made in Reckoning, that they do indeed follow what is said on the forum and they sometimes heed what they hear (sometimes they don't, or can't, and sometimes it takes time to get the results (like the end of pete -- too bad it did not end well for Carter though, IMO) but at least we know they listen and sometimes hear and I hope they hear the rallying cry for Carter in charge.

Comment

Good morning campers! I just wanted to alert my fellow Samandans that the next installment after The Darker Side of Night is now done! It's called Eclipse and it is pretty much all Sam, all the time...

To read it, just check my sig for the link. You can click on the FanFiction URL if you'd like, but I've tried editing the format twice for my story and it STILL hasn't saved it correctly! As a result, the text just rambles together without any of the separations I added for clarity. My point is (and I do have one) you're best bet might be the PDF until I can figure out why it's not formatting correctly on the FanFiction website...

Btw, if you haven't read The Darker Side of Night then Eclipse won't make a bit of sense to you at all!

Oh and be sure to let me know what you think!

Here are some teasers and a minor disclaimer:

minor disclaimer first - there was a small aspect of my story that's referenced in Moebius 1 - but I swear I had the idea before I saw it!!!

Spoiler:

-Sam gets help from an unexpected friend, but there's a catch
            -Sam meets up with several old acquaintances and friends she thought she'd never see again
            -Nothing is what it seems to be when she gets to earth
            -Sam gets to kick some Jaffa butt in hand to hand combat
            -Sam is forced to make a devastating choice
            Last edited by Uber; 02 April 2005, 10:18 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hmmm, seems like a dropped the ball on the forum reopening... oh well had a couple of pages of posts to go through

Originally posted by majorsal
              I'm going CRAZY!!! with no new Sam spoilers to get excited about! How can we plan and rejoice when we have no bloody idea about where Sam is even at, or what she's doing. Argh and double argh.

(I'm getting discouraged as a Sam fan and shipper, so please excuse the whining. )
              Don't despair! I prefer the glass to be half-full rather than half-empty I believe that whatever they have in store for Sam at the start of Season9 it's going to be great
              If not, well the Royal Accountant has a cabinet full of liquor... ;o

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Good morning campers! I just wanted to alert my fellow Samandans that the next installment after The Darker Side of Night is now done! It's called Eclipse and it is pretty much all Sam, all the time...

To read it, just check my sig for the link. You can click on the FanFiction URL if you'd like, but I've tried editing the format twice for my story and it STILL hasn't saved it correctly! As a result, the text just rambles together without any of the separations I added for clarity. My point is (and I do have one) you're best bet might be the PDF until I can figure out why it's not formatting correctly on the FanFiction website...

Btw, if you haven't read The Darker Side of Night then Eclipse won't make a bit of sense to you at all!
                Hmm I'm tempted to read but I need ship warnings!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  let's see if the server will let me post this.

ok, since the forum was down, i'm gonna extend the sam poll until sunday sometime (which means whenever i get around to shutting it down)

now i have a question about the 'best sam ever' poll

originally my idea was to have a runoff of these 8 eps and see which one folks find to be the best

however it has been suggested that we have a poll of the top 3 of each season and let folks vote from that

what do you think?
                  Poll of the top 3 from each season

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    Hmm I'm tempted to read but I need ship warnings!
                    Okay well the first part of Darker Side of Night has a LOT of ship so BE WARNED!!! But Eclipse won't make a bit of sense if you don't read it first so zippity doo da past the mush if you need to (although I thoroughly enjoyed writing those scenes too, btw)

Now Eclipse has a few minor shippy conversations and one scene
                    Spoiler:
                    that might APPEAR shippy right at the front of the story - but it only seems that way at first
                    . Eclipse is not a shippy story, though. It's pretty much a Sam story with a lot of fun Stargate twists...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Poll of the top 3 from each season
                      I second the motion of the Royal Security Chief...

Comment

Okay well the first part of Darker Side of Night has a LOT of ship so BE WARNED!!! But Eclipse won't make a bit of sense if you don't read it first so zippity doo da past the mush if you need to (although I thoroughly enjoyed writing those scenes too, btw)

Now Eclipse has a few minor shippy conversations and one scene
                        Spoiler:
                        that might APPEAR shippy right at the front of the story - but it only seems that way at first
                        . Eclipse is not a shippy story, though. It's pretty much a Sam story with a lot of fun Stargate twists...

Oh goody! Been waiting for some more CarterFic for awhile

Comment

And now for another exciting installment of...

NAME THAT EP!!!!

(of course, I'm probably playing by myself since most people haven't come back on yet since the blackout...)

Comment

NAME THAT EP!!!!

(of course, I'm probably playing by myself since most people haven't come back on yet since the blackout...)

Hmm. Wow, ÜberSG-1Fan, you've really got me stumped. I can't see here hair so it's tough to judge which season...

I think I'll go with Desperate Measures!!!

Comment

NAME THAT EP!!!!

Don't worry, I'm here to play

Hmmm, I think it's from Demons? Where SG-1 sans Teal'c are locked up in the cage?

Comment

Don't worry, I'm here to play

Hmmm, I think it's from Demons? Where SG-1 sans Teal'c are locked up in the cage?
                                Spoiler:
                                You're right of course.

You know it's really hard finding a scene that we don't all know because usually we try to pick things with some sort of clue. I think now I shall endeavor to make things more difficult...

By the way, I hit 500 posts so I'm a Goa'uld underling now.

FEAR ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X