Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Wonderfully stated!

'At home with herself'... not having to fit into any specific stereotype... not having to fit into anyone elses 'box'!

I love the idea that our society can progress to the point where a woman could be in a traditionally male-dominated field... and yet still be a woman when she wants to.

'At home with herself'... such a great idea.
    Since it's let's dress Sam night ... I have to say that two of my favorite outfits that showed Sam at home with herself were: Sam in the long white coat over her jeans and white T-shirt when she went to Jack's cabin in 20010, and Sam in the black leather jacket and red sweater when she and SG-1 went to O'Malley's in Upgrades. She seemed so right in those outfits - it really seemed to fit her personality - Sam and AT.

Comment

Wow! This thread is going strong! Like some others have mentioned, this is the first and one of the only threads I come to. It is difficult to keep up if you miss a little time.

Anyway, everyone has already made such good points about the clothes that Sam (and Daniel and Teal'c) wear. It hasn't really bothered me much at this point. I think it is because, 1) like some others have said, the majority of the time Sam is in "appropriate" clothes (I believe she has only worn the sleevless t-shirt twice this season and fairly briefly); and 2) compared to many other female leads in scifi, she looks quite tame. That is one thing I like about Sam Carter---she rarely if ever looks like a "sex symbol", but more like her scientist/military self, and yet she is incredibly attractive. Actually, I am surprised they haven't tried to "sex-up" Careter more because AT is someone you could do that with (given that she is considered "hot" to many), but I am thankful they haven't pushed it too far. I guess the SciFi channel is trying to sex up the characters a bit more, but I don't think they have done so to the determint of the characters (at least yet, and I hope never). And I definitely don't think they NEED to do so for the ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        the one telling thing about gemini
        Spoiler:

sam had no idea of just how bad and manipulative she can be.
        now, i'm not dissing her, please don't think that. However, sam knows how to work people.

she knows how to push jack's buttons, we saw as much in Abyss. She knows teal'c's weak spot (which, imho, is the fact that teal'c likes and trusts her)
        in fact, all of them trust her implicitly. replicarter knew that. and RC knew that all she n eeded to do was to get sam on her side and sam would control the others.

RC was Sam at her worst. She was a glimpse into what sam could be should she ever decide to throw caution and propriety to the wind and dedicate her sole existence to whatever she wants.

Some have suggested that RC is out for galactic domination. I really don't think so. I think that RC is focused on one objective...survival. And to survive, she needed to get rid of fifth, her only real competition, and she needed to eliminate the one weapon

so she set out with a single minded purpose to do just that

in the end of New Order, we saw a glimpse of just how much sam would manipulate people to survive....RC got that from her

i do think that it will be masively interesting when RC comes back. because now, sam knows just what RC is capable of....and sam is pissed.

Whoo... Lots of spoiler space!

The cool thing about RC is that she's definitely the...
        Spoiler:

evil part of Sam

... which adds depth to the character. I love when they do that, to be perfectly honest. For instance, knowing how insecure Teal'c is about the Goa'uld (see "Avatar"), despite how hard he tries to hide it, is SOOO incredibly cool.

You're right. She DEFINITELY knows how to work those guys. I never noticed it until "2010," when she convinced Teal'c to stay on Earth a little longer. Just one look from Sam is all it takes sometimes, and that can really be dangerous, if used by the wrong kind of person.

She's always had a strong relationship with Daniel, so it'd be no surprise that she'd be able to convince him to do anything. However, Teal'c and Jack are slightly tougher, given their past experiences. Jack trusts Sam implicitly - sometimes a little TOO much - so that explains his actions in previous eps. And, seeing how close Sam and Teal'c have gotten over the past three years it's easy to see that he's now easy to manipulate, as well.

I think it's an interesting dynamic, considering these four people would die for each other in a heartbeat. Now that we know that the evil side of Carter is no longer "untapped," we should be able to see just how hard she's willing to push the envelope in the future. Definitely something to think about!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

regarding Amanda's movie Stuck:

Anyways, I reaaally want to see Stuck, but I fear it might never happen. My best friend asked JR about it at GateCon... 200...4. He said it was pushed onto the shelf, and will probably never re-surface.
          Well, poo! I want to see the bloody movie! How about JR putting it up for ppl to see it off the internet? Can we find a way of asking (begging) him?

Sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I have to say before I start my spiel, that I wrote up this whole long thing that took me about half an hour, but when I tried to post it, it said “page cannot be displayed” so I refreshed, then it said it was an invalid thread, so I pushed the back button, cause usually it’ll go back, and all you’re typing will still be there, but of course it WASN’T, So I have to re-type the entire bloody thing! *grr* not happy at computer!

Originally posted by chocdoc
            Wow! This thread is going strong! Like some others have mentioned, this is the first and one of the only threads I come to. It is difficult to keep up if you miss a little time.

Anyway, everyone has already made such good points about the clothes that Sam (and Daniel and Teal'c) wear. It hasn't really bothered me much at this point. I think it is because, 1) like some others have said, the majority of the time Sam is in "appropriate" clothes (I believe she has only worn the sleevless t-shirt twice this season and fairly briefly); and 2) compared to many other female leads in scifi, she looks quite tame. That is one thing I like about Sam Carter---she rarely if ever looks like a "sex symbol", but more like her scientist/military self, and yet she is incredibly attractive. Actually, I am surprised they haven't tried to "sex-up" Careter more because AT is someone you could do that with (given that she is considered "hot" to many), but I am thankful they haven't pushed it too far. I guess the SciFi channel is trying to sex up the characters a bit more, but I don't think they have done so to the determint of the characters (at least yet, and I hope never). And I definitely don't think they NEED to do so for the ratings.
            I definitely agree with this post. I’m so happy and surprised that they haven’t ever put Sam into a ridiculous situation where she’s in a dramatic duel, in which her shirt is ripped and torn, but she ends up victorious, chest heaving with exertion... Amanda could easily play a sex symbol in anything, she’s gorgeous, but I don’t know if she’d even want to.

In my interview with her in November, I asked her what the hardest things to play are, and she thought for just a second, before stating very bluntly, “Sex!” She really struggles with playing the sexy bimbo chick. In fact, when she was just starting out in her career, her agent told her she should sex herself up some more, show some skin, get a bit naughty, and she refused to. She used to wonder why she never got any of the fun character (non-lead) roles that are always the funnest and sometimes most interesting to play, and her agent would say “Amanda, you’re tall, and blonde, and pretty, you’re not going to get roles like that!” and Amanda would say “but they’re so fun, why can’t I get them!?” and her agent would say “Amanda, you’re tall, and blonde, and pretty!” So it was kind of a catch 22 for her, she was you could say typecast, but she still wouldn’t slutty-ize herself.

One of the reasons, I think, is that she’s actually somewhat insecure about such things. It’s hard to imagine someone as amazing as Amanda lacking confidence in anything, but we also talked about the photo shoot she did with Femme Fatale magazine, while talking about the Media’s obsession with perfect flawless beautiful people. She said how the shoot was probably the sexiest thing she’s ever done, and that if she’d known before how sexy it was going to turn out, that she would have liked to have lost more weight for it. I don’t know about you guys, but that, IMO, is RIDICULOUS! The only thing wrong with those photos is that it’s an American Flag! (No offense to any Americans here, but she’s Canadian, and should show it! Yes, very patriotic person here )

(In all honesty though, I’m not sure I should have said those personal things like about losing the weight, so I ask you all too PLEASE not tell anyone outside this thread about it! I really shouldn’t be telling anyone that I even had the interview…)

After that I’m even happier that she got Sam. Sam’s an amazing, strong, independent woman, as we’ve all said, but she also can be quirky and fun, like the adrenaline junkie we see in Space Race, as well as occasionally still be able to be feminine (Chimera) while not being a bimbo. Amanda doesn’t have to betray herself to play Sam.

When I first met her, in 2001, we talked about how amazing a role model she is for women of all ages, and that we needed more people like her, with all the Pamela Andersons bopping around. She actually recounted a tale of one time she turned on the TV, to be faced with Pammy A. trotting around in a desert, with a fluffy pink bikini and fluffy pink short shorts… it was most amusing. When seeing Amanda retell that story the way she did, you really do realize how ridiculous all the television and film bimbo’ness is!

Originally posted by majorsal
            Well, poo! I want to see the bloody movie! How about JR putting it up for ppl to see it off the internet? Can we find a way of asking (begging) him?

Sally
            Ooh, pick me, pick me, I know what to do!

“JR, Please, we need this movie, I’ll do anything! I’ll give you my body in exchange for that movie!”

Honestly, I wouldn’t need the excuse of getting Stuck to give JR my body, but I won’t get into all that…

He doesn’t have access to it though… he’s just an actor, they don’t get any special things like that. The movie was shelved, that’s from him too, I believe. Gosh Darn it, there were 10 lucky bums who won a draw at a GateCon (2003) to see a special screening of it, with JR himself. Omg I wish I’d been them… !!!!!
            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I think it's time to post my thoughts on Gemini...

spoilers for s8's gemini

Spoiler:
              I loved it! Amanda once again nailed a very difficult scenario with ease. Quoting Amanda from her recent interview in TV Zone issue 61:

"Gemini is probably the hardest episode I've done in these eight years. It was physically and emotionally demanding, and required a great deal of homework. That said, I think the pay-off was worth it. It turned out to be a neat episdoe."

Well, Amanda, you pulled it off! There were subtle and not so subtle differences between Sam and Replicarter that only a great actress would be able to do. More from Amanda:

"One of the biggest challenges was trying to creat subtle differences between the two Carters. They have the same consciousness, memories and emotional base, but in my opinion, a different heart, which is how I chose to play it. Repl-Catter was created by Fifth and spent most of her time with him, so she's a bit harder and quite duplicitous. I actually think my face looked slightly different as Repli-Carter because of the set of my jaw and other little things that I intentionally did. Another challenge was doing long wordy scenes opposite myself, and I'm so hard to work with. I mean, what a pain in the ass. I had fun, but it was a tough shoot."

If my local cable company wasn't in league with Sokar, I'd have been able to record the ep to keep. Argh!, and I tried twice! Anyhoo, Amanda did it again. Stand up and take a bow!

I also think that Sam was not being stupid for trying to trust Replicarter. RC tricked her AND Fifth, and Sam so badly wanted to believe her and help her and save the situation, and all it accomplished was getting slapped in the face for her efforts (literally). It made sense to me. Sam 'was' at fault for some of it, but so was Jack and Teal'c as well. Sam just couldn't believe that 'she'd' be that bad, seeing as they basically came from the same seed. RC was a twisted and perverted imagine of what Sam could never turn out to be, even if she 'had' been through the same torture as RC.

Sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

I think it's time to post my thoughts on Gemini...

spoilers for s8's gemini

Spoiler:
                "One of the biggest challenges was trying to creat subtle differences between the two Carters. They have the same consciousness, memories and emotional base, but in my opinion, a different heart, which is how I chose to play it. Repl-Catter was created by Fifth and spent most of her time with him, so she's a bit harder and quite duplicitous. I actually think my face looked slightly different as Repli-Carter because of the set of my jaw and other little things that I intentionally did. Another challenge was doing long wordy scenes opposite myself, and I'm so hard to work with. I mean, what a pain in the ass. I had fun, but it was a tough shoot."

Sally
                HAHA!!! Is that TV Zone Mag only avaliable on the UK or anything? Because I always hear about these brilliant mags with interviews and pics everywhere, but I swear Canada just does NOT get them...!!!!

Just commenting that that whole "I'm really hard to work with, I mean, what a pain in the ass" this is so fully Amanda, it's great

Spoilers Gemini

Spoiler:
                I TOTALLY saw how she made them physicallly different. Reppy's face was definately a lot more evil, and I thought her voice was a lot different. Smooth and sure and sneaky. My fave part of Gemini was Sam and Reppy's little "talk" in the blue crazy lights place. My fave lines

REppy: "I wanted to thank you"

and again Reppy "That's right."

If you can remember those exact parts, watch them again, and see how AMAZINGLY EVIL they are! Just the tone and pitch of her voice, with the fluxuations she put in, as well as the facial. The eyebrows, the eyes, the jaw, how her head was tilted.

OOH, as well the VERY last part in that blue place, where Reppy's like "I know what you're going to do before you even think about it" and Sam has an "oooh ^&$^)" face, and then it shows Reppy kind of tilt her head upwards, and blink. OMG IT WAS THE MOST FANTASTICALLY EVIL THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!! I don't know if it's just me, but it was so pristinely done, I squeal every time I see it!!!!!!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

BTW, if any here feel that Gemini did not highlight Sam Carter's character flaws, what episodes have done so?

Not an aggressive question, BTW; I'm just curious.
                  I think Gemini did well in showing Sam's just as human and capable of mistakes like the rest of us. The first ep that came to mind, though, when you mentioned Sam's flaws was Red Sky. She manipulated the gate to 'make' it go to that planet. To be fair, she didn't expect something like that to happen, but I liked it being brought up that Sam felt guilty for it. I think it would have been massively interesting if those ppl 'had' perished at the end. Imagine the guilt that Sam would have felt... uh, on second thought, maybe it isn't a good idea for Sam to carry around the guilt of thousands of deaths. But I still liked seeing Sam squirm with the fear of it all.

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

One little point I love about the episode Avenger 2.0 is when Felger is like "oh come on, you're perfect, everyone knows that!"

And she's like "i'm not perfect! do you remember a planet called Kitana (or whatever...) Referring to Red Sky, and how she almost wiped out an entire people by bypassing the system.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

**spoiler for s8's gemini**
                      Spoiler:
                      I understand that RC had to escape--this is a show after all and why kill such a good villain right away? But I wish it hadn't made Sam seem so gullible. I think one of the things we've talked about in the past applies here. If we had seen more of the emotional toll her experience with 5th took on her, we might have had more foundation for her reactions to the RC. After her horrible experience *of course* she would sympathize.
                      Ooh, you've brought up a good point.
                      Spoiler:
                      I really, really wish they would have shown the fallout of Sam's ordeal with Fifth. He tortured her, so we should have seen how she handled that. Gemini's the first we've even heard of Sam's dealing. I still got the sense that that was the number one reason Sam trusted RC (knowing what she'd went through with Fifth), but it would have been a bigger impact if we'd seen Sam dealing with Fifth's torture after the actual event. Like maybe the next ep!

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

<snip>

Spoiler:
                        i do think that it will be masively interesting when RC comes back. because now, sam knows just what RC is capable of....and sam is pissed.
                        Oh, I can't wait for
                        Spoiler:
                        Reckoning now! I and REALLY hope they don't kill off RC! She's a great villian and Amanda rocks in the role!

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          Would it be getting too far off the track to bring up Sam's outfits? She seems to be getting a lot of criticism elsewhere. What do the rest of you Sam fans think of the increase in leather and tank tops in the last season or so? AT looks great in everything. But are they Sam? Thoughts?
                          Good question. I enjoy seeing Sam looking normal/sexy/off base, but the only time I've had probs with it was in spoilers for s8's endgame
                          Spoiler:
                          Endgame, when Sam was at the stakeout in shiny leather. Even though Sam looked good in it, it didn't seem logical for her to be wearing such attention-grabbing clothes to a 'don't be noticed' situation. As for the tank tops, I have no probs. The guys wear them, so what's wrong with Sam doing it?

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Good question. I enjoy seeing Sam looking normal/sexy/off base, but the only time I've had probs with it was in spoilers for s8's endgame
                            Spoiler:
                            Endgame, when Sam was at the stakeout in shiny leather. Even though Sam looked good in it, it didn't seem logical for her to be wearing such attention-grabbing clothes to a 'don't be noticed' situation. As for the tank tops, I have no probs. The guys wear them, so what's wrong with Sam doing it?

Sally

I find it funny that people nit pick so much about Sam's "sexy" clothes on Stargate, when they're completely normal with other shows where women walk around in wee little bikinis, or massively short skirts and revealing tops It's a good thing though, shows how Stargate's training people to what's nice normal clothes, and what's even slightly 'sexier" haha

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

What AT managed to keep hidden through all her many costume changes and the occasional bare midriff was her navel ring. Do you remember what she said in Lowdown last year? LOL The piercing and the body jewelry made her feel more sexy since she did have to wear BDUs and combat boots most of her screen life!
                              Yes! And I've love to see Sam wear it and Jack see it.... *tweaks brows*

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sk8r^Ry
                                woah i had no clue you needed that kind of education to be an officer. do you know if Gen Oneill has degrees too? Daniel is a doctor but i wonder if Gen Hammond has some degrees too. sorry for being curious about it. I think Sam is the coolest character and last night i saw gemini and i liked the replicarter too. she is a doctor too since she has all sams memories and knowledge i think.
                                With the requirements it takes to go through the Gate, I'd be eligible for... cleaning the toilets I think.

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X