Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    Maybe it was just me, but I remember saying "Whoa!" in Affinity when she said yes. I'm not a shippper, so it wasn't because of that, or because it was on a stakeout in front of others, but because I was genuinely surprised.NC
    Oh yeah, that's a good one. I think I had been spoiled on that prior to watching the episode, though, which is why I don't remember being too surprised.

That is one problem with getting spoilers in advance. I kind of enjoy spoilers most of the time, but I do miss those moments when I'm really and truly startled by something unexpected happening.

My LJ

Comment

Maybe it was just me, but I remember saying "Whoa!" in Affinity when she said yes. I'm not a shippper, so it wasn't because of that, or because it was on a stakeout in front of others, but because I was genuinely surprised.

NC
      Well I am a shipper (duh) and I was surprised and a little upset by the Chimera/Affinity thing... But I did like seeing that side of Sam. The part of her that's all girl and wants to be wined and dined...hold the fatigues. I hope we'll get to see more the same - not necessarily the romantic side per se, but definitely the fun, relaxed NON-military Sam who is all girl and has a life outside her lab at the SGC.

Back to the topic at hand ... stunning moments: the Martouf one from DIVIDE & CONQUER really got me too because of her personal feelings for Martouf/Lantash. But I'll add LAST STAND when a dying Lantash volunteered for the suicide mission to ensure everyone else was rescued and she had to say goodbye to her last physical connection to Jolinar.

Definitely ENTITY with the zat scene...

THREADS
      Spoiler:
      when Sam realizes her father was going to die. Not really stunning because I was unfortunately spoiled about the episode's contents...more like amazed at how when Jacob said "I thought we could make it", her eyes and expressions communicated the awareness, shock, sadness and disbelief in just a few brief seconds of time...and then when she stuttered the word...."W-we?" you could just feel the pain and sorrow in her voice. AT is so gifted...

P.S. - I'm going to stick to this thread and the shipper thread and steer clear from the rest...gettin' dinged for a question on the Ask Joe thread...it's dangerous out there!!!

Fortunately I have my fellow Samandans who *ahem* have not as of yet forwarded any pictures to me, the Royal Photographer for use in the Where's Sam game... *cough**cough*

Last edited by Uber; 25 March 2005, 11:13 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Guess The Episode

...and can you guess what scene and dialogue went with these pics?
        ...or create your own caption or episode title...
        episode and scene
        Spoiler:
        Heroes part 1 when Sam's explaining the power consumption of the DHD to a less than interested Emmett and crew.

dialogue
        Spot on, NC! And thanks for getting the audio capture and posting it -- Sam's (AT's) tone and inflection when she says 'sure, it's really cool, steam comes out of it and everything' makes me LOL every time I hear it! One of my favorite Sam-lines!
        Caption:
        Janet asked me to come up with something she could use when the Colonel deserves the really big needles.
        LOL! Love it!

NC, you definitely deserve some of the special stock of blue jello,

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          You know, what does blue jello taste like, anyway?
          Raspberry? I think... haven't ever actually tasted it myself... ooo... probably not supposed to admit that here in Samanda... especially since I am always supplying it...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            I can't imagine why....
            Spoiler:
            because there's nothing I find more fascinating than DHD power consumption. I mean, when I REALLY want to get revved, that's the reading material I reach for...
            Hmmm... and I thought the explanation was *really* cool! But then I also liked the beginning of Sam's Surface Tension explanation to Grace... Of course... my job actually does entail explaining Surface Tension several times each year... and I do think the physics and chemistry of it all is really cool... .... I also spend countless hours each week discussing all sorts of various cool physical phenomena with both college students and other scientists... We get to talk about things from earthquakes to volcanoes to surface tension to the geology of other planets... And I especially like the times when we get to apply some cool advanced mathematics - so I get a kick out of things like Sam in front of a board full of equations Yeah, yeah, I know... in the words of Grace... 'bo-o-ring'... or in the words of the video interviewer... 'Can we get a shot of the gate spinning?'

Comment

Somebody (I forget, who, sorry) asked for some recommendations on Sam fic. I came across this author the other day (Arriety):

http://members.lycos.co.uk/arrietty/fanfiction.asp

I hadn't seen her stories recommended before (which may only indicate that I live under a rock), but she has lots of Sam whumping and some fairly interesting plots. Of course, I'll read just about anything with Sam whumping in it...

My LJ

Comment

Hmmm... and I thought the explanation was *really* cool! But then I also liked the beginning of Sam's Surface Tension explanation to Grace... Of course... my job actually does entail explaining Surface Tension several times each year... and I do think the physics and chemistry of it all is really cool... .... I also spend countless hours each week discussing all sorts of various cool physical phenomena with both college students and other scientists... We get to talk about things from earthquakes to volcanoes to surface tension to the geology of other planets... And I especially like the times when we get to apply some cool advanced mathematics - so I get a kick out of things like Sam in front of a board full of equations Yeah, yeah, I know... in the words of Grace... 'bo-o-ring'... or in the words of the video interviewer... 'Can we get a shot of the gate spinning?'
                Naw....not boring at all. I love the science stuff, too. If I'd had any aptitude for math at all, I would have gone into astronomy or physics. I think it's really cool that AT studies up on all of the science so she can deliver her lines in such a fashion as to make the audience understand what she's talking about. That's amazing dedication to her job.

My LJ

Comment

Okay - I guess I'll admit that I am a geek at heart - that I do find surface tension and other scientific Samisms interesting....

I guess intellectually I'm somewhere between Sam and Jack (but then again, that probably describes most of earth's population...)

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

For some reason I am the only one who has not explored any fanfic. I don't know why exactly, in a way I think I am wary of it...cautious. That doesn't make much sense seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed the story by astrogeologist which I read, and thought was very true to the characters and style of Stargate. The trouble is, I am sure that you people all write amazing stories, I just can't seem to get myself out there to read them. It's not like I'm not constantly reading everyone's recommendations here and wondering what they are like. Hmm.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                      So, I was watching the commentary on Chimera last night, and I remembered how stunned I was by the hot and heavy romance scene in Sam's bedroom with Pete. I usually don't experience a lot of "jaw-dropping" moments when watching TV, but this was definitely one of them.

I was trying to think of other Sam scenes that really took me by surprise, and these came to mind:
                      - The "reproductive organ" rant in the first episode (jaw dropping in just how bad it was)
                      - In Entity, after Jack shot her with the zat the first time, and you could see he was thinking about hitting her with a second blast..."No way, they wouldn't...!" When he fired again, I literally came out of my seat, "Oh my god, he did it!"
                      - "Whoa! Sam just killed Martouf!"
                      - The Sam-picks-up-a-bazooka-and-blows-away-some-Jaffa scene in Forever and a Day. "Way cool!"
                      - Chimera bedroom scene... "Oh my!"

I was just wondering if anyone else had such moments?
                      Maybe it was just me, but I remember saying "Whoa!" in Affinity when she said yes. I'm not a shippper, so it wasn't because of that, or because it was on a stakeout in front of others, but because I was genuinely surprised.
                      I actually liked most of Chimera... I thought they did a good job with Pete for the first 2/3 of the episode although I didn't like having the new boyfriend become a B-grade soap-style storyline for the episode. However, I did like the humorous dialogue at the coffee shop and I thought the dancing scene at the older couple's anniversary was a way to show an extremely thoughtful and caring side to Pete (he didn't just suggest they go to a basketball game or some such). I also really liked seeing Sam in 'regular' clothes - and I like that her clothes show that she enjoys being a woman. I really liked the humor about the alphabetized bookshelves. I thought the hallway scene (against the wall) and the bedroom scenes were fine. I think that if it had been Jack instead of Pete in each of these scenes, the J/S shippers would have *loved* these scenes. (I am OK with J/S ship, as long as they write and develop it reasonably).

So what made my jaw drop? What made me cringe, wince and then groan with disgust? The morning scene where Pete demands to know what she does on the job - and then he gets pissy and unreasonable. His behaviour was deplorable. And Sam's reaction was pathetic and needy. It was like they were suddenly writing for two afternoon soap opera characters instead of Sam Carter and her boyfriend. The sudden shift in attitude, demeanor and dialogue stunned me. Made me nauseous to watch her plead with him. I didn't expect Sam to 'bust his balls', but I expected her to 'hold her own' and do it with grace... I was astounded that they wrote her pleading with him! The episode went downhill from there... found myself just shaking my head and muttering.

I was then extremely disappointed to watch them continue this Sam-soap-storyline into an engagement and then into what happened in Threads. I am just sad about what it did to the character of Sam Carter. I *really* wanted Sam to have a life outside the SGC... to date... wear real clothes... etc... And I still do... just not dating someone who acts the way Pete did that morning... and not at the expense of the scifi and heroic storylines that she would otherwise be an integral part of.

I wish that they had developed some personal storylines for the guys at the same time that they delved into Sam's. Give the show a little balance in this area. Show stuff about Jack's family and his life outside the SGC... Show more about Daniel's friends and family and his life outside the SGC... and give poor Teal'c something better than an aborted attempt to live off base. Poor guy! I am hopeful that Season 9 will give us some storylines into Daniel's life... and maybe Lt. Col. Mitchell's as well.

Comment

I love this stuff I love this stuff I love this stuff! Please write more about what you teach etc... I would love to hear more. I find these kinds of subjects really exciting and interesting. I would love to hear more. Oh, did I already say that? Oh yeah... oops. No, I'm serious, I would love to hear more. Not many people talk to me about this kind of thing in RL.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

astrogeologist: I actually liked most of Chimera... I thought they did a good job with Pete for the first 2/3 of the episode although I didn't like having the new boyfriend become a B-grade soap-style storyline for the episode. However, I did like the humorous dialogue at the coffee shop and I thought the dancing scene at the older couple's anniversary was a way to show an extremely thoughtful and caring side to Pete (he didn't just suggest they go to a basketball game or some such). I also really liked seeing Sam in 'regular' clothes - and I like that her clothes show that she enjoys being a woman. I really liked the humor about the alphabetized bookshelves. I thought the hallway scene (against the wall) and the bedroom scenes were fine. I think that if it had been Jack instead of Pete in each of these scenes, the J/S shippers would have *loved* these scenes. (I am OK with J/S ship, as long as they write and develop it reasonably).

So what made my jaw drop? What made me cringe, wince and then groan with disgust? The morning scene where Pete demands to know what she does on the job - and then he gets pissy and unreasonable. His behaviour was deplorable. And Sam's reaction was pathetic and needy. It was like they were suddenly writing for two afternoon soap opera characters instead of Sam Carter and her boyfriend. The sudden shift in attitude, demeanor and dialogue stunned me. Made me nauseous to watch her plead with him. I didn't expect Sam to 'bust his balls', but I expected her to 'hold her own' and do it with grace... I was astounded that they wrote her pleading with him! The episode went downhill from there... found myself just shaking my head and muttering.

I was then extremely disappointed to watch them continue this Sam-soap-storyline into an engagement and then into what happened in Threads. I am just sad about what it did to the character of Sam Carter. I *really* wanted Sam to have a life outside the SGC... to date... wear real clothes... etc... And I still do... just not dating someone who acts the way Pete did that morning... and not at the expense of the scifi and heroic storylines that she would otherwise be an integral part of.

I wish that they had developed some personal storylines for the guys at the same time that they delved into Sam's. Give the show a little balance in this area. Show stuff about Jack's family and his life outside the SGC... Show more about Daniel's friends and family and his life outside the SGC... and give poor Teal'c something better than an aborted attempt to live off base. Poor guy! I am hopeful that Season 9 will give us some storylines into Daniel's life... and maybe Lt. Col. Mitchell's as well.
                          I watched Chimera again last week. I think I liked it better the first time round before I knew that the Pete episode wasn't going to be a one off. It was still a fun episode, just something different for a change, just a shame that the change couldn't have been less permanent. Most of the episodes after this one seemed to be a little more heavily romance or relationship oriented. This episode, while it shows a different side of Sam, and I don't mind that, I still will always love Sam most as a scientist, and also as a military officer. The truth is, that one thing I've always liked about Stargate as a tv show is that it hasn't been heavily into the romance/love thing. I like that, but that's probably just me.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

sally:
                            Spoiler:
                            Some might say that things aren't 'exactly' the same,
                            and that the timeline 'was' screwed up because Sam and
                            Jack weren't sitting exactly the same way together on
                            the pier, or because their dialog was slightly
                            different, or the fish situation, but... the only time
                            things 'did' divert was when they never had to go back
                            to get the zpm. again.

I'll admit I was bothered by the fish situation, but
                            Joe told us (in his q and a thread here) that
                            Jack just didn't know he had any. (crappy fisher or he
                            needed the right 'bait' to get them to come out and
                            play? ). He just truly believed he didn't have any
                            in his pond. Anyhoo, i was worried for a bit, but Joe
                            set us straight.

Anyways, I think things are a bit off on the second
                            'Sam and Jack fishing scene', because things 'did'
                            change after Daniel would have gotten the phone call
                            about Catherine's death that set the whole ball
                            rolling. It (the discoverly about the zpm in ancient Egypt)
                            didn't happen this time, so things were a bit different from 'then'
                            on. If we were given the chance to live a day over again, knowing
                            that we were still going to go to the book store to pick up a gift,
                            and make the friday-favorite chicken dinner, would we
                            still wear the same outfit or do everything exactly at
                            the same moment we'd done it before? All I'm saying is
                            it's the chaos factor. A simple thing like Sam
                            brushing her teeth ten seconds later could cause her
                            whole day to be off from the original airing of that
                            day... Am i making any sense? (I 'really' don't know
                            what the hayhoo i'm talking about )
                            Just by the decisions we make in daily life, like, say, if I were to log off the internet right now instead of writing this, then that would mean that there is a reality where I logged off and a reality where I'm writing this existing simultaneously. This is what I meant by fractionally different realities. So, of course, there is also other realities, where I could be still sleeping in bed (it's very early here right now), or I could be outdoors, or something else. They are all possible realities too. Then there are realities where I am on the other side of the world, or... well anything you can imagine really. So, if they are all existing at once, then doesn't that mean we are swapping between them just by the decisions we make from day to day? This is getting a bit OT, and I don't think I really have a clue what I'm talking about, I'm just rambling out the thoughts whizzing around in my head making me feel dizzy. But I think we can choose what reality, what timeline we want to be in.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                              I watched Chimera again last week. I think I liked it better the first time round before I knew that the Pete episode wasn't going to be a one off. It was still a fun episode, just something different for a change, just a shame that the change couldn't have been less permanent. Most of the episodes after this one seemed to be a little more heavily romance or relationship oriented. This episode, while it shows a different side of Sam, and I don't mind that, I still will always love Sam most as a scientist, and also as a military officer. The truth is, that one thing I've always liked about Stargate as a tv show is that it hasn't been heavily into the romance/love thing. I like that, but that's probably just me.
                              Like I said earlier, I do like the personal emotions/self-exploration stuff - seeing the sides of Sam other than Scientist/Soldier... which AT herself enjoyed doing...

However, I don't want Stargate to be ONLY about that all the time... If they explored Sam/Jack or Teal'c/Ishta or whoever/whoever EVERY WEEK then my beloved SG-1 would be a soap opera...and I see plenty of those...

I actually want to see more of these other sides to the characters (I think they shy away from the personal for just the reasons you and I have stated) I want to see the other dimensions and personal sides of Daniel, Teal'c, Jack, and of course, Sam...

BTW, looking at the ol' calendar, I see that it's been, what, 10 days since due date? Man, she just must be miserable by now...

Comment

Dancer of spaz: At first I thought that Amanda Tapping's rendition of a nerd had simply validated my "performance" of one a few years ago in a school project. Sure, I made people laugh, but perhaps they saw something in me that was genuinely dorky. It didn't matter, because I was acting.
                                Recently, I've noticed similarities in me and the Sam we saw last week... and it frightens me. It means I'm not a geek like the Daniel or a nerd like the Sam we all know and love. I may not even qualify as a spaz.
                                It means I'm a dork - the kind of drok who doesn't realize she's a dork until the evidence is staring her in the face in astrophysicist-archaeologist form. And I'm not even that great in science... Honest. It goes right over my head sometimes...
                                possible spoilers for Moebius:
                                Spoiler:
                                This is in a way a bit like how I felt after Moebius. It was a kind of reality check. It made me realise that I am more likely to end up like the AU Sam than the real Sam, though right now I think I'd be lucky to do even that. I just don't see myself as ever being as bright and smart and amazing as Sam. Anyway, if you are a dork, then I like you because that means you are probably just like me. Not that anyone's ever told me I'm a dork, but it's come close a few times when some kids I know have told me I'm weird and that I don't have a life and when am I going to grow up. Oh, and some other kids can't understand why on earth I could possibly want to study science, because they think it's boring. And I think I've been called a geek once, but I'm not sure why, considering that I usually assosciate the word geek with people who are good with computers (or is that nerd?) and I am really not good with computers. Anyway... why did I write all that?

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X