No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

astroG: Deepspace, Tried to PM you, but you have your PM's disabled or some such... so, I'll just say a little here (and you can PM me if you have questions). I don't think it's the DVD so much as the software that you are using to view the DVD's. My laptop came with Windows InterVideoDVD and it has a little camera icon that allows you to take screenshots. I've tried to get screen shots with other software (and even just by hitting the 'PrintScreen' key) and have ended up with the completely black image that you got.
    I have PM's turned off because I don't know what they are. sorry.
    I was using Gadwin Printscreen, which is what I use generally as a screencapture program. Anyway, if I go trawling through old PC magazine cd's I might find some free screenshot software. I still think you guys are all brilliant for doing so much stuff digitally.
    My other problem was that I was using the DVD drive on my laptop, and it's not really fast, so it would play for about a minute, and then it's memory would fill up or something (I don't know much about computers, in case it wasn't blatantly obvious) and it would freeze for a minute, and then play again etc...

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

astroG: Great post, deepspace! Great comments and I agree with you completely!
      Spoiler:
      I think they overdid it with the GeekySam and GeekyDaniel... it's over the top, but I feel like I have to give the actors and writers some leeway to cut loose and have some fun... the whole thing sort of reminds me of a Saturday Night Live take on Stargate SG-1, however...
      As for Jack's personality or such being very different - that's where I think they 'missed the boat' to have some fun with Jack O'Neill's character. I would have loved to have seen a Jack O'Neill who was a prissy-by-the-book armchair-soldier... someone who'd never had the chance to serve in real combat, but had risen through the ranks because he always followed the rules and played the 'good little soldier' - that could have been hilarious as a juxtaposition against the Jack O'Neill that we have all seen over the past 8 years.... Or how about a Jack O'Neill... who became a car salesman... or just something different than we would expect...
      And, as for your comments about how they ended it...not back in our reality.. I don't know how to take that... Lots of the fans seem to be OK with it... It would seem to me that it's *not* OK to have screwed up the timeline and then leave it 'almost back to where it should be'... and it *does* beg the question of just what are the ramifications of it not quite being back to where it was...?
      I also read somewhere, on another thread, that Joe Mallozi (in his thread) has said that it wasn't even our original SG-1 in the opening scenes of Moebius... that the timeline was already screwed up and we were already looking at an 'alternate version' of SG-1. So... how far back did the screw up happen?
      Well, I've gone on and on here, but I really liked you post Deepspace (so this long post is your fault ).
      sally: moebius 2
      Spoiler:
      according to joe mallozzi, it IS the same reality. he said, when questioned about there being fish in the pond now, and that the sg1 we know and love is dead; he said that there'd always been fish in jack's pond, he just didn't know it.

ALL the events that we've seen happen over the 8 years we've traveled and lived with sg1 have still happened. everyone that died is still dead. the things that happened in threads still happened (as a shipper, thank god!!!). so, basically, it's not a different reality. the moebius strip (which the ep is named after) says you have to travel twice around to get back to the exact place you started. and that happened. this is our real sg1.
      uber:
      Spoiler:
      Here's the thing to consider here... 2010 - no, not the year, the episode.
      We saw our team in 2010 with Jack and his handsome sexy scruffiness (whoops, sorry - I got distracted there for a moment ) and we saw Sam married to the ambassador, Teal'c as a free Jaffa and of course Daniel and Janet. But then they realized they screwed up 10 years ago by introducing the world to the Aschen - so they changed history and forever altered what timeline they would exist in.
      So, here's the question - is the team at the END of 2010 - who got the message from the future - is that OUR team? Well, yes of course they are. Just because we saw what they DID in the future to change things doesn't alter the fact that at the end, it was our Sam (who never had a chance with that poor politician...) and the rest.
      And why am I using 2010 to explain that this is our team? Because one of the writers of Moebius, Joe Mallozzi, said to consider 2010 to answer to that question.
      kat: Sally's right...we have to sort of think of the ending of Moebius II sort like the beginning of 1969. At the beginning of 1969, Hammond looks at Sam's hand and knows that this would be the day that he would meet SG-1 in his past because he remembers the cut on her hand and gives her a note. The rest of the team have no recollection that it ever happened because to them it hadn't yet; however, in actuality they had already gone back in time and Hammond had already seen them.
      MI & MII Spoilers
      Spoiler:
      I guess the problem here is that you have to think of time as a parallel movement not a forward and backward movement.
      The way I look at it it's like going up the side of a mountain with a huge drop off on your left-hand side. If you stay in the middle along your present path, you should be fine. If you drive towards the right (your future) you're really not affecting much as the mountain itself is preventing any real changes. However, if you drive towards the left, there is the potential of going off the cliff and that would inadvertantly affect your present and your future. A really poor analogy I know, but the only way I can think to put it into words.
      I think one of the reasons, the writers made it so that the puddle jumper could only go back in increments of more than 200 years is so that they wouldn't have to deal with issues like going back to prevent people like Janet and Jacob dying. The permutations to decide what events in a two hundred year period that could/would lead up to their deaths are much too great to guarantee anything. That is one reason why they are both still dead after the end of Moebius. However, one thing that I'm not sure many people think about but was quite obvious to me... during Moebius I and Moebius II...Janet may still be alive, but more than not Jacob is already dead. Without Sam joining the military, he would never have become a Tok'rah and blended with a symbiote...therefore he would have died six years ago.
      Sam is actually much luckier in our real timeline, because AT Sam probably never had the same relationship with her father. Part of the reason she never joined the Air Force may have been that she never forgave her father for her mother's death. We'll never know.
      One of the reasons why I think Daniel and Sam were so geeky in MI is the fact that neither of them ever met Catherine. If you watched Stargate the movie, you might remember Daniel's character when Catherine met him...very naive...shy...unsure of himself. This was Daniel over ten years ago...if he never met Catherine and joined the Stargate program...his career would have infact been over as an archeologist...ten years of bitterness would have set it (which I think we sort of saw in the MI episode) and Daniel never was a great dresser in the beginning of the series...he's definitely improved over the years.
      Also one of the reasons I don't see Jack as being as affected by them going back into time is due primarily to the fact although Catherine and the SGC had a part in Jack's life...it did not have as dramatic of a change in his life as it did for Daniel and Sam. Jack still put twenty years into the military before he ever joined the SGC. He seems bitter, crotchety, and alone in MI. One can assume Charlie still died, he retired and Sara divorced. Our only change would be that there was no SG-1 team to help him overcome his loss and not have a 'me against the world' attitude.
      Sam on the other had... Here we have a really brilliant human being who never joins the military, and never meets Catherine Langford.
      If in fact, she had still grown up a military brat, she would have traveled around a lot as a child and probably never made a lot of friends because of the fact that she would have been so much more advanced intellectually than most kids. Not saying that this is always the case, but in general, the brainy kids aren't really the most popular in school. So she may have been shy, insecure...ect.
      One thing to say for the military is that it does instill discipline and confidence in most people. You are trained to be able to defend yourself, to be the best that you can be, and I think that (as Uber has said) has much do with Sam's cool factor.
      Sam was suppose to have met Catherine some time in 1991-1994 while working on the Stargate program. This is 10-14 years from the time we met ATSam where she missed out at having a wonderfully, strong, female mentor. I think working with Catherine really helped to bring our Sam out of her intellectual shell, to not be ashamed or embarrassed by her intellectual superiority. Through her accomplishments with the Stargate program and Catherine she was allowed to see her true potential just as Sam did with Halley.
      Other things that would have changed... because she never joined the military... Sam never met Hanson... she was never engaged to be married and obviously doesn't date much ( she seems quite curious if she has a
      boyfriend in her future in MII ).
      All these factors together could explain why MI Sam appears so much more insecure and geeky... she's almost like a wallflower that has been invisible to the world most of her life. It was Sam's involvment with the military, Catherine, and the SGC program that helped to nuture our Sam and make her bloom into the beautiful person that is she today: brilliant, strong, independant, and courageous.

All these things were in MI Sam, she just never had anyone around to help her see it. At least, that's how I see things.
      Hmm, you all have very interesting things to say on this.
      Spoiler:
      I still think that the reality they end up in at the end is slightly different, and not just in the fact that they no longer have to go back for the zpm. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no 'one' timeline... we are jumping in and out of fractionally different realities all the time... and there is a reality for everything, there is a reality somewhere where janet isn't dead, though you're right, it probably isn't this one. All I really meant was that if there are 'tiny' differences, then there could be other differences. I was never really saying that it didn't end with a 'real' SG1, only that it isn't the same reality as the one at the beginning of moebius1. It's interesting to hear what Jo Malozzi intended with it though. Thanks all for giving me something to think about and ponder...

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
        WHERE'S SAM?

Not difficult to spot, even though she's on a covert mission -- in disguise.

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        LOL! I can't believe that I didn't see her straight off... no... I was sitting here staring at the women in the front... thinking... that's not quite here... nope... not even in 'disguise'... not even 'photoshopped'.... and then I finally realized that the woman in the back was in that horribly awful Shavadai get-up! And, you know... it doesn't look so outlandish there amonst the rest of the Goa'uld ostentatiousness! Good pic, Samfan!
        Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        Daniel's Backup?
        I love the matching gun.
        Does that girl know how to accessorize, or what?
        ROTFL! I did not see the blue gun first time! Sharp eyes, TH!
        And Samfan, I am very impressed with both your photoshopping skills (a blue gun that matches that dress!) *and* with your sharp wit and humor! Great job!

Definitely worthy of some special Royal Blue Jello

Comment

ROTFL! I did not see the blue gun first time! Sharp eyes, TH!
          And Samfan, I am very impressed with both your photoshopping skills (a blue gun that matches that dress!) *and* with your sharp wit and humor! Great job!

Definitely worthy of some special Royal Blue Jello
          Wow! My first Royal Blue Jello! Thanks, Astro. Tok'ra, the blue P-90 was an accident. I was just lucky it matched the dress.

I agree with Uber that it's tough to find large group scenes. I finally gave up and went with the intimate meeting. I do think the Shavadai gown just cried out for the spotlight.

Comment

Here's another screen cap panel for everyone to play with...

Guess That Episode

.... or create a new episode title for these pics...
            .... or create a caption...
            Photos are from www.stargatesg1971.com

Comment

Here's another screen cap panel for everyone to play with...

Guess That Episode

Space Race, baby. Check out the leather! Haha...

A caption? I got nothin'...
              Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 24 March 2005, 03:05 PM. Reason: caption fun?!?!?!

Comment

And... here's another screen cap panel for everyone to play with...

Guess That Episode

One caption for each photo:

1. You sure you don't mind?
                2. Let me just see if I can make this technology compatible...
                3. Yep, this should soup up my motorcycle quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by dancer of spaz (signature comment)
                  At first I thought that Amanda Tapping's rendition of a nerd had simply validated my "performance" of one a few years ago in a school project. Sure, I made people laugh, but perhaps they saw something in me that was genuinely dorky. It didn't matter, because I was acting.
                  Recently, I've noticed similarities in me and the Sam we saw last week... and it frightens me. It means I'm not a geek like the Daniel or a nerd like the Sam we all know and love. I may not even qualify as a spaz.
                  It means I'm a dork - the kind of drok who doesn't realize she's a dork until the evidence is staring her in the face in astrophysicist-archaeologist form. And I'm not even that great in science... Honest. It goes right over my head sometimes...
                  LOL, Spaz! And... if you see yourself (or your acting) in AT or her acting, then you are in high-caliber company...
                  Originally posted by Strix varia
                  Okay, so, I was fairly certain that Lucille Ball did the fish-face/mouth thing sort of like AT in Moebius... think there's an influence there?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Much less shooting up with one arm ... Sammie get your gun!
                    Shooting up? Whoa. I looked at that too fast & thought Sam was doing drugs. Never! Adrenaline is her only drug.

Comment

WHERE'S SAM?

ROTFL! Can't believe I almost missed this one! Since I'm on dialup I have stuff set so I have to click on the links to see pictures, signatures etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        mmhm, good sam fic.

ooh, and on that topic, i know we've posted some recs before but i think we - as in all of us that want to - should post some more. My reasoning for this is, the stargatefan awards nominatinos close in a coupleo f weeks, and i can tell you from working on the awards team for 3 years, sam, jonas, teal'c fic are all horribly underrepresentated.

Now, i'm not saying that anyone has to nominate anything mentioned here, it can simply be a list of places to look and authors who like to write sam that others may not know.

heck, astro rec'd Stranded and i'd never even heard of the fic before, so i found myself a whole new author

ok, good sam fic, at least good to my taste

anything by Noda.
                        Sally Reeve is good, although she may be a bit shippy for some tastes
                        The Hidden One by Gracie
                        The Weather Outside by Doc www.frondfic.com then 'doc's surgery'
                        Ah yes, I've been looking lately for some good new Sam fic, but it's quite hard to find...
                        I found this fic the other day, Tunnel Vision by Jacquelyn Smith. A Sam centric fic, in which Earth is destroyed by the Replicaters, and a few SG teams and base personal manage to escape and hook up with the Tok'ra. And it's not even Sam/Jack! How rare is that! lol
                        I've been doing my duty to CarterFic, and nominating them in the Stargatefan awards, including some of our own esteemed authors in this thread... But for the life of me, I can't remember most of the fics I nomininated...

Heres an idea, how about we make the 'Definitive List of CarterFic', a list in which we can put in all the CarterFic that we've read and enjoyed. I know there's some communities (fanfiction.net etc) that have CarterFic archives, but lets face it - theres alot of rubbish in them. AstroG has links to some good CarterFic on her website, and I seem to remember her saying something about making a complete list of all the CarterFic she's found...???

Comment

i think a list sounds great. i'll have to work on it.
                          and i read tunnel vision, it's good so far. the only bad part...it's part 1 of 2 or more and i don't wanna wait
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            One caption for each photo:

1. You sure you don't mind?
                            2. Let me just see if I can make this technology compatible...
                            3. Yep, this should soup up my motorcycle quite nicely.
                            LOL, Jckfan! I now have a mental image of Sam riding a naquadah-powered motorcycle...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              Ah yes, I've been looking lately for some good new Sam fic, but it's quite hard to find...
                              I found this fic the other day, Tunnel Vision by Jacquelyn Smith. A Sam centric fic, in which Earth is destroyed by the Replicaters, and a few SG teams and base personal manage to escape and hook up with the Tok'ra. And it's not even Sam/Jack! How rare is that! lol
                              I've been doing my duty to CarterFic, and nominating them in the Stargatefan awards, including some of our own esteemed authors in this thread... But for the life of me, I can't remember most of the fics I nomininated...

Heres an idea, how about we make the 'Definitive List of CarterFic', a list in which we can put in all the CarterFic that we've read and enjoyed. I know there's some communities (fanfiction.net etc) that have CarterFic archives, but lets face it - theres alot of rubbish in them. AstroG has links to some good CarterFic on her website, and I seem to remember her saying something about making a complete list of all the CarterFic she's found...???
                              You know it's funny...I just realised how much of a Sam/Jack shipper I am!

I like to read all sorts of fic, and have done, but I only really enjoy Sam/Jack fic. I must admit I prefer it when I get a bit of Sam whumpage, and then a lot of angst...followed by some S/J romance! Maybe this ties in with the fact I love romantic/comedy type films.
                              I'm sorry for being kind of off-topic here, but I just want to mention that it's because of Sam (and the chemistry I see in her relationship with Jack) that adds to my fun of watching Stargate.
                              sigpic

Comment

WHERE'S SAM?

LOL You are a true Samandan - full of playfulness and humor! Go girl!

Do you think Sam is spying on Baal or actually stalking him?! Oops ... that's another thread! Great editing job!

Comment

Working...
                                X