X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    spoilers for s8's moebius one and two
    Spoiler:
    i really don't think joe said that. he's been saying just the opposite, actually. we've got the real sg1. the only thing different is that they didn't have to go back and get the zpm. again.

sally
    Sally's right...we have to sort of think of the ending of Moebius II sort like the beginning of 1969. At the beginning of 1969, Hammond looks at Sam's hand and knows that this would be the day that he would meet SG-1 in his past because he remembers the cut on her hand and gives her a note. The rest of the team have no recollection that it ever happened because to them it hadn't yet; however, in actuality they had already gone back in time and Hammond had already seen them.

MI & MII Spoilers
    Spoiler:

I guess the problem here is that you have to think of time as a parallel movement not a forward and backward movement.

Edit:
    The way I look at it it's like going up the side of a mountain with a huge drop off on your left-hand side. If you stay in the middle along your present path, you should be fine. If you drive towards the right (your future) you're really not affecting much as the mountain itself is preventing any real changes. However, if you drive towards the left, there is the potential of going off the cliff and that would inadvertantly affect your present and your future. A really poor analogy I know, but the only way I can think to put it into words.

I think one of the reasons, the writers made it so that the puddle jumper could only go back in increments of more than 200 years is so that they wouldn't have to deal with issues like going back to prevent people like Janet and Jacob dying. The permutations to decide what events in a two hundred year period that could/would lead up to their deaths are much too great to guarantee anything. That is one reason why they are both still dead after the end of Moebius. However, one thing that I'm not sure many people think about but was quite obvious to me... during Moebius I and Moebius II...Janet may still be alive, but more than not Jacob is already dead. Without Sam joining the military, he would never have become a Tok'rah and blended with a symbiote...therefore he would have died six years ago.

Sam is actually much luckier in our real timeline, because AT Sam probably never had the same relationship with her father. Part of the reason she never joined the Air Force may have been that she never forgave her father for her mother's death. We'll never know.

One of the reasons why I think Daniel and Sam were so geeky in MI is the fact that neither of them ever met Catherine. If you watched Stargate the movie, you might remember Daniel's character when Catherine met him...very naive...shy...unsure of himself. This was Daniel over ten years ago...if he never met Catherine and joined the Stargate program...his career would have infact been over as an archeologist...ten years of bitterness would have set it (which I think we sort of saw in the MI episode) and Daniel never was a great dresser in the beginning of the series...he's definitely improved over the years.

Edit:
    Also one of the reasons I don't see Jack as being as affected by them going back into time is due primarily to the fact although Catherine and the SGC had a part in Jack's life...it did not have as dramatic of a change in his life as it did for Daniel and Sam. Jack still put twenty years into the military before he ever joined the SGC. He seems bitter, crotchety, and alone in MI. One can assume Charlie still died, he retired and Sara divorced. Our only change would be that there was no SG-1 team to help him overcome his loss and not have a 'me against the world' attitude.

Sam on the other had... Here we have a really brilliant human being who never joins the military, and never meets Catherine Langford.

If in fact, she had still grown up a military brat, she would have traveled around a lot as a child and probably never made a lot of friends because of the fact that she would have been so much more advanced intellectually than most kids. Not saying that this is always the case, but in general, the brainy kids aren't really the most popular in school. So she may have been shy, insecure...ect.

One thing to say for the military is that it does instill discipline and confidence in most people. You are trained to be able to defend yourself, to be the best that you can be, and I think that (as Uber has said) has much do with Sam's cool factor.

Sam was suppose to have met Catherine some time in 1991-1994 while working on the Stargate program. This is 10-14 years from the time we met ATSam where she missed out at having a wonderfully, strong, female mentor. I think working with Catherine really helped to bring our Sam out of her intellectual shell, to not be ashamed or embarrassed by her intellectual superiority. Through her accomplishments with the Stargate program and Catherine she was allowed to see her true potential just as Sam did with Halley.

Other things that would have changed... because she never joined the military... Sam never met Hanson... she was never engaged to be married and obviously doesn't date much ( she seems quite curious if she has a
    boyfriend in her future in MII ).

All these factors together could explain why MI Sam appears so much more insecure and geeky... she's almost like a wallflower that has been invisible to the world most of her life. It was Sam's involvment with the military, Catherine, and the SGC program that helped to nuture our Sam and make her bloom into the beautiful person that is she today: brilliant, strong, independant, and courageous.

All these things were in MI Sam, she just never had anyone around to help her see it. At least, that's how I see things.

Kat
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 March 2005, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Alright - next up in the "WHERE'S SAM?" game:

This one might actually even be challenging...
      I'd love to play this new game but unfortunately I'm going out of town today with my kids and I won't be back till Monday. Not sure if I'll have access to a computer or not. I'll try to think of some cool ones over the weekend.

Hope you all have a sweet and satisfying Sam-filled weekend.
      Kat

P.S I just know we're gonna hear something about AT's baby while I'm out of town...dern it! And ya won't get to see my lovely birth announcement! hehe
      Oh well.

Comment

WHERE'S SAM?

Not difficult to spot, even though she's on a covert mission -- in disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy
          I made a wallpaper Sam & Jacob from Stargate SG-1 in Threads, so be warned that it contains spoilers for some maybe, as this is a very new episode that probably hasn't aired everywhere yet.

Please click the teaser thumbnail for the full size version.
          Beautiful wall Suzy!!! Thank you for sharing it with us!!!
          Everytime I look at this it makes me all teary-eyed.
          Spoiler:
          I'm going to miss Jacob
          I still don't see the purpose for killing him.
          It just seems like such a waste.
          Poor Sam has lost so many people in her life already.
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 March 2005, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

1)<mumbles happily to self> "... and a little loop-de-loop, here." 2)"Okidoki, that outta do it." 3) <turns around and addresses group> "Hello. My name is Sam Carter, and I'm way smarter than you are."
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
              1)<mumbles happily to self> "... and a little loop-de-loop, here." 2)"Okidoki, that outta do it." 3) <turns around and addresses group> "Hello. My name is Sam Carter, and I'm way smarter than you are."
              *Taking a break from cleaning and packing the car for a brief Sam moment*

ROFL! TH, you truly are an artist for finding the most joscular captures!
              You always brighten my day!

*AH! That definitely hit the spot! Back to the ol' heave ho!*

Does anyone have any suggestions for some really good Sam fanfic I can read over the weekend? Angst and whumping is ok, but I'd like something a bit upbeat as well. I need some happy Sam occassionally.

Ah, the joys of Spring... pollen everywhere...my nose dripping like a Setesh guard.
              Life is good!

Comment

mmhm, good sam fic.

ooh, and on that topic, i know we've posted some recs before but i think we - as in all of us that want to - should post some more. My reasoning for this is, the stargatefan awards nominatinos close in a coupleo f weeks, and i can tell you from working on the awards team for 3 years, sam, jonas, teal'c fic are all horribly underrepresentated.

Now, i'm not saying that anyone has to nominate anything mentioned here, it can simply be a list of places to look and authors who like to write sam that others may not know.

heck, astro rec'd Stranded and i'd never even heard of the fic before, so i found myself a whole new author

ok, good sam fic, at least good to my taste

anything by Noda.
                Sally Reeve is good, although she may be a bit shippy for some tastes
                The Hidden One by Gracie
                The Weather Outside by Doc www.frondfic.com then 'doc's surgery'
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Hey There ... do you think Uber pulled her from a scene in Seth?

We can up the ante on our Where's Sam game ... once we spot her, try to identify where (by costume) she's coming from ... those fiendish super photo editors of ours have to be pulling Sam from some other episode to plop her down in their photos!

And, BTW, a big welcome to Samanda, SF31 ... glad to see you've settled right in and are already playing games with us! We like to play.
                  Okay, well here are the ones so far:

Spoiler:
                  For the first photo, the scene was from Wormhole Xtreme and Sam was from Threads.

For the next photo, the scene was from First Commandment and Sam was from Family.

For the third picture, the scene was from It's Good to be King and Sam was from Beneath the Surface.

For the fourth picture, the scene was from Rules of Engagement and Sam was from The Nox.

For the record, it's hard to find good group scenes where I can cram Sam in! How about you all give me a hand and think of some great settings for our little game....okay???

Last edited by Uber; 24 March 2005, 10:05 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy
                    I made a wallpaper Sam & Jacob from Stargate SG-1 in Threads, so be warned that it contains spoilers for some maybe, as this is a very new episode that probably hasn't aired everywhere yet.

Please click the teaser thumbnail for the full size version.
                    Absolutely beautiful, Suzy! (And making me cry once again) And, for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, the Jacob-Sam video 'In My Daughter's Eyes' is sure to make you cry.

Comment

Much less shooting up with one arm ...
                      Sammie get your gun!
                      LOL while thinking 'You Go Girl!'
                      Ah, yes ... but you got to have your cake and edit it too! (Groan!)
                      Double Groan!
                      A Public Service Announcement to All Good Samandans

The Royal Accountant, our beloved official bean counter, has been temporarily prevented from taking part in the pleasures of our realm and communicating with us. It seems that her communication device is having even more difficulties than mine or Royal Page's.

She wants to extend her good wishes to all and assure us that she has been thinking of us. I tried, unsuccessfully, to teleport her into one of the Where's Sam photos, but, alas, the procedure failed. Probably for the best, as she would have been so easily identifiable ... with the sloe gin in one hand and a pint of Her Majesty's best brew in the other!

Let's all raise a toast to our missing Accountant and hope she'll be back on board with her wit and wisdom very soon! Dare I say ... I miss that sassy lassie! Jester
                      Been wondering what happened to Coley! I really miss her great comments... and the O Yea Say We Times is now in backorder... Hope the computer problems get sorted out soon!
                      Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      The Royal Accountant is absent you say...
                      I umm..have a uhhh..warrant to uhh..search the Accountant's liquor cabinet. She's not around? Oh well, guess I'll have to do it myself then... >

Head of Security
                      Hmmm....I think that the Royal Archivist must be on hand to witness and record all such events... must properly preserve the chain of evidence...mmhmmm...
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 March 2005, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Sally's right...we have to sort of think of the ending of Moebius II sort like the beginning of 1969. At the beginning of 1969, Hammond looks at Sam's hand and knows that this would be the day that he would meet SG-1 in his past because he remembers the cut on her hand and gives her a note. The rest of the team have no recollection that it ever happened because to them it hadn't yet; however, in actuality they had already gone back in time and Hammond had already seen them.

MI & MII Spoilers
                        Spoiler:

I guess the problem here is that you have to think of time as a parallel movement not a forward and backward movement.

Edit:
                        The way I look at it it's like going up the side of a mountain with a huge drop off on your left-hand side. If you stay in the middle along your present path, you should be fine. If you drive towards the right (your future) you're really not affecting much as the mountain itself is preventing any real changes. However, if you drive towards the left, there is the potential of going off the cliff and that would inadvertantly affect your present and your future. A really poor analogy I know, but the only way I can think to put it into words.

I think one of the reasons, the writers made it so that the puddle jumper could only go back in increments of more than 200 years is so that they wouldn't have to deal with issues like going back to prevent people like Janet and Jacob dying. The permutations to decide what events in a two hundred year period that could/would lead up to their deaths are much too great to guarantee anything. That is one reason why they are both still dead after the end of Moebius. However, one thing that I'm not sure many people think about but was quite obvious to me... during Moebius I and Moebius II...Janet may still be alive, but more than not Jacob is already dead. Without Sam joining the military, he would never have become a Tok'rah and blended with a symbiote...therefore he would have died six years ago.

Sam is actually much luckier in our real timeline, because AT Sam probably never had the same relationship with her father. Part of the reason she never joined the Air Force may have been that she never forgave her father for her mother's death. We'll never know.

One of the reasons why I think Daniel and Sam were so geeky in MI is the fact that neither of them ever met Catherine. If you watched Stargate the movie, you might remember Daniel's character when Catherine met him...very naive...shy...unsure of himself. This was Daniel over ten years ago...if he never met Catherine and joined the Stargate program...his career would have infact been over as an archeologist...ten years of bitterness would have set it (which I think we sort of saw in the MI episode) and Daniel never was a great dresser in the beginning of the series...he's definitely improved over the years.

Edit:
                        Also one of the reasons I don't see Jack as being as affected by them going back into time is due primarily to the fact although Catherine and the SGC had a part in Jack's life...it did not have as dramatic of a change in his life as it did for Daniel and Sam. Jack still put twenty years into the military before he ever joined the SGC. He seems bitter, crotchety, and alone in MI. One can assume Charlie still died, he retired and Sara divorced. Our only change would be that there was no SG-1 team to help him overcome his loss and not have a 'me against the world' attitude.

Sam on the other had... Here we have a really brilliant human being who never joins the military, and never meets Catherine Langford.

If in fact, she had still grown up a military brat, she would have traveled around a lot as a child and probably never made a lot of friends because of the fact that she would have been so much more advanced intellectually than most kids. Not saying that this is always the case, but in general, the brainy kids aren't really the most popular in school. So she may have been shy, insecure...ect.

One thing to say for the military is that it does instill discipline and confidence in most people. You are trained to be able to defend yourself, to be the best that you can be, and I think that (as Uber has said) has much do with Sam's cool factor.

Sam was suppose to have met Catherine some time in 1991-1994 while working on the Stargate program. This is 10-14 years from the time we met ATSam where she missed out at having a wonderfully, strong, female mentor. I think working with Catherine really helped to bring our Sam out of her intellectual shell, to not be ashamed or embarrassed by her intellectual superiority. Through her accomplishments with the Stargate program and Catherine she was allowed to see her true potential just as Sam did with Halley.

Other things that would have changed... because she never joined the military... Sam never met Hanson... she was never engaged to be married and obviously doesn't date much ( she seems quite curious if she has a
                        boyfriend in her future in MII ).

All these factors together could explain why MI Sam appears so much more insecure and geeky... she's almost like a wallflower that has been invisible to the world most of her life. It was Sam's involvment with the military, Catherine, and the SGC program that helped to nuture our Sam and make her bloom into the beautiful person that is she today: brilliant, strong, independant, and courageous.

All these things were in MI Sam, she just never had anyone around to help her see it. At least, that's how I see things.

Kat
                        Wonderful character analysis, Kat!
                        You definitely earned some blue jello!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          I'd love to play this new game but unfortunately I'm going out of town today with my kids and I won't be back till Monday. Not sure if I'll have access to a computer or not. I'll try to think of some cool ones over the weekend.

Hope you all have a sweet and satisfying Sam-filled weekend.
                          Kat

P.S I just know we're gonna hear something about AT's baby while I'm out of town...dern it! And ya won't get to see my lovely birth announcement! hehe
                          Oh well.
                          You'll be missed! And, you'll just have to post that birth announcement photo when you get back... you have to share it with us!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                            WHERE'S SAM?

LOL! I can't believe that I didn't see her straight off... no... I was sitting here staring at the women in the front... thinking... that's not quite here... nope... not even in 'disguise'... not even 'photoshopped'.... and then I finally realized that the woman in the back was in that horribly awful Shavadai get-up! And, you know... it doesn't look so outlandish there amonst the rest of the Goa'uld ostentatiousness! Good pic, Samfan!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                              WHERE'S SAM?

Daniel's Backup?

I love the matching gun. Does that girl know how to accessorize, or what?
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Chopingal: A Public Service Announcement to All Good Samandans
                                The Royal Accountant, our beloved official bean counter, has been temporarily prevented from taking part in the pleasures of our realm and communicating with us. It seems that her communication device is having even more difficulties than mine or Royal Page's.
                                She wants to extend her good wishes to all and assure us that she has been thinking of us. I tried, unsuccessfully, to teleport her into one of the Where's Sam photos, but, alas, the procedure failed. Probably for the best, as she would have been so easily identifiable ... with the sloe gin in one hand and a pint of Her Majesty's best brew in the other!
                                Let's all raise a toast to our missing Accountant and hope she'll be back on board with her wit and wisdom very soon! Dare I say ... I miss that sassy lassie! Jester
                                I've been missing Coley for a while now. Hope she can get back soon.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X