Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i've read some, and while it can be good, a lot of it just really doesn't ring true to me. I know that i have a couple of stumbling blocks. first of all, i just dont' see them as gay.

jack, sam, janet, jonas i all see as firmly het. Daniel...i can see daniel experimenting or being more open to it and i can certainly see teal'c having a more open mind since, for all we know, bisexuality is common among jaffa (it has been among other warrior races, namely the spartans)

i think my other stumbling block is that the characters are often written far from how i see them. in a lot of slash fic, i see jack as this warm, loving, caring, sweet guy, when the jack o'neill that i see on the show can be that way...but he can also be a class a jerk when he wants to be.

in some of the femslash i see, janet and sam are both written far from how i see thier characters, so it's more of a charicture to me. Sam isn't sam carter, she's this gay female who sometimes lets her emotional attachment to janet override her normal behaviors and she's soemtimes written too butch for me

That's not to say it's bad, i know that sam/janet is an exceptionally popular pairing, it's just that the majority of the fic i've read have the characterizations so far off what i interpret as 'normal' that they're just hard for me to read

I do think, however, that it's absolutely fascinating that people can take one single scene adn interpret it so very many ways. it just speaks to the diversity of the viewership
    Unfortunately I haven't really been able to get into much of the slash stories at all. I'm not sure if I would mind them if they were just really good stories regarding the character's deep relationships but unfortunately I think I've found most of the bad ones out there that tend to just throw pairing characters together and put them into sexual situations just for the heck of it. I'm a S/J shipper and honestly I don't care for stories that put them together sexually either. Occassionally I find a really good story that adds a sexual element without really taking away from the storyline, but overall it just seems so foreign to my view of Sam and Jack's relationship that I can't really get into the stories.

I understand why some people don't see the Sam and Jack bond as well as why some see Jack in a non-hetro light. Jack really does seem to have an overall issue with women in general. I think the first episode wrapped up his personality quite well. He doesn't do well speaking about his feelings and being emotional and therefore he comes across as not caring at times especially with Sam. Obviously not being able to talk about his emotions is what destroyed his marriage, so it's something that is deep-seeded and not just an issue with Sam.

I really loved Jack and Daniel's relationship in the first three seasons, but I always saw it more as a Father/Son relationship. Daniel was really naive and Jack had just lost his son when they met; I just saw Jack placing his paternal instincts onto Daniel by trying to protect him and care for him.

In the beginning I think Sam was just ... well the girl on team. I think she tried to fit in but she spent most of her time trying to prove she deserved to be there. Intellectually she and Daniel seem to really click; however like AT has said in numerous interviews, I always saw this relationship strictly as a sibling bond. Daniel never had any siblings and Sam was never really close to her brother, Mark so I could see them growing close in this way.

I truly loved the way they brought Sam and Janet together. I really thought Sam would really need to get away from all the testosterone that exudes from her three male counterparts and just be a girl every once in awhile. Thus, I was extremely happy that they allowed Sam and Janet to become good friends instead of adversaries. I wish they would/could bring Janet back. I really believe much of what has happened to Sam over the past year could have been avoided if Janet were still alive. Sam no longer has someone to share her ideas, concerns and personal problems. She no longer has anyone to confide in...perhaps if she did she wouldn't have allowed herself to wander so far away from her normal path.

The one relationship that we have only seen a glimmer of and on which I hope they continue to delve into is Sam and Teal'c. I love watching the two of them on screen together. It's always as if they are sharing a special secret or joke.

I guess overall I really try not to read much more into any relationship other than what the writers have given me. From what I have read out there in the fandom world, it only seems to lead to frustration and often bitterness. I just try to think of them as a big happy family, and when the storyline seems to turn sour between one or two of the characters I try to think of my own brothers and sisters and remember that even during the hardest times, I never stopped loving them. I try to tell myself that the same is true for the members of SG-1, they have disagreements and personal issues with one another but they never stop caring for one another and that's what makes it so great.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      I hope I'm not irritating people with all these pictures I'm keep putting up here. If you start getting sick of them, please let me know and I'll stop posting them. This is a photo manip I did of AT tonight. The small picture in the lower right hand corner is the original picture. I totally love this photo of Amanda. She's absolutely beautiful in the original, but boredom prevailed and I got carried away playing with different effects.

Great pic! And *please* keep posting your pics! They liven up the thread and make it more fun and interesting!

Comment

The one relationship that we have only seen a glimmer of and on which I hope they continue to delve into is Sam and Teal'c. I love watching the two of them on screen together. It's always as if they are sharing a special secret or joke.
        i think we could have been separated at birth

i agree with you Kat. i do see sam/daniel just as friends, would love to see more sam/teal'c, that is such an unexplored dynamic of the show
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ok... I'm sitting here watching Moebius I for I don't know the third or fourth time and I was wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I'm just being strange...

...They have AT Sam dressed extremely frumpy and they change her clothes like six times and it's oh so beige. What is up with that? Sam doesn't get into the military and suddenly she has no sense of color at all?

Spoiler:

Also, as plain jane as they make her out to be in this episode I find it extremely amusing that they have three different men totally eyeing her up and down.

Watch the next time if you haven't notice it already. Her boss totally checks her out, then Jack does on his boat when he meets her and then McKay does in the puddlejumper (he even gives her a little pat on the bottom). I don't think Sam ever gets checked out like this, but then again maybe it's because she intimidates most of the men she comes in contact.

Kat

Edit: Sorry for spoilers, though I can't do much for the photos
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 March 2005, 11:10 AM. Reason: SORRY FORGOT SPOILERS!

Comment

Ok... I'm sitting here watching Moebius I for I don't know the third or fourth time and I was wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I'm just being strange...

...They have AT Sam dressed extremely frumpy and they change her clothes like six times and it's oh so beige. What is up with that? Sam doesn't get into the military and suddenly she has no sense of color at all?

Also, as plain jane as they make her out to be in this episode I find it extremely amusing that they have three different men totally eyeing her up and down.

Watch the next time if you haven't notice it already. Her boss totally checks her out, then Jack does on his boat when he meets her and then McKay does in the puddlejumper (he even gives her a little pat on the bottom). I don't think Sam ever gets checked out like this, but then again maybe it's because she intimidates most of the men she comes in contact.

Kat
            Moebius spoilers
            Spoiler:

Good points. I also noticed the beige. It was obvious something had gone *terribly wrong* to create *that* Alternate reality. also even in frumpy clothes & glasses you still have AT's raw material, so she can't look *too* bad. I thought McKay the lech was pretty funny, w/ her trying to lose him in the halls.

Comment

Kat
              I don't think they've ever filmed Sam getting checked out like that before... and they just decided to have fun with it in Moebius ...I don't think she intimidates most of the men that she comes in contact with... in fact, they've shown quite a few of them becoming enamored with her (but not just showing them lustfully checking her out).

I haven't seen Moebius yet, but seeing those pics makes me want to hug our (((((Sam)))))! Frumpy and beige and nerdy... poor Sam! But it does sound like the cast and many of the fans had great fun with the nerdy caricatures.

OK, and I just have to say it... I like her hair in the pics you got from Moebius.... that is, I like it a *lot* better than the hair our Sam had in Season 7! I have posted screen caps from Death Knell and Grace, but have had a hard time getting screen caps that I like from the other episodes... because I really don't like the spent-a-week-in-a-desert-sandstorm-and-then-just-got-electrocuted-hairstyle. I don't think this hairstyle looks good on anyone... poor Uma Thurman, too! I know it's 'all the rave'... I know it's the latest 'style'... but it's the first hairstyle that I think makes Sam/AT look tired (and older).

Many folks have commented on Sam's hair throughout the thread as we've discussed episodes throughout the various seasons.... and I have refrained from commenting, because I liked just about every hairstyle Sam/AT had over the years. And when we played our screen-cap 'Guess The Episode' game, I was surprised when folks were narrowing down the seasons based on the hairstyle... I, um, didn't know the hairstyles-to-seasons well enough to do that.

I liked it when it was really short, but I liked it when it was a bit longer in Seasons 1 and 2 as well. I've always thought it looked best when it was cut well and then fell naturally and yet didn't get in her face (she's a soldier)... but this deliberately-sticking-out-all-over-style leaves me wincing. I also think that the hairstyle of Season 7 will 'date' the show when folks watch reruns 5-10 years from now. Kind of like the beehive hairdos and mini-skirts really date the original Star Trek series.

OK, there... I said it... (and I've proven just how shallow I can be) ...
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 22 March 2005, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                Moebius spoilers
                Spoiler:

Good points. I also noticed the beige.

It was obvious something had gone *terribly wrong* to create *that* Alternate reality.

also even in frumpy clothes & glasses you still have AT's raw material, so she can't look *too* bad. I thought McKay the lech was pretty funny, w/ her trying to lose him in the halls.
                I hadn't thought of it that way... and I think you hit it square on the head... I think that's exactly what they were trying to say... along with just having fun playing the characters so differently!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

OK, and I just have to say it... I like her hair in the pics you got from Moebius.... that is, I like it a *lot* better than the hair our Sam had in Season 7! I have posted screen caps from Death Knell and Grace, but have had a hard time getting screen caps that I like from the other episodes... because I really don't like the spent-a-week-in-a-desert-sandstorm-and-then-just-got-electrocuted-hairstyle. I don't think this hairstyle looks good on anyone... poor Uma Thurman, too!
                  I am also not a big fan of her season 7 hair, but am not quite as opposed to it as you. (love the description, though). I didn't like the super short hair in Season 6, but at least that fit more with what you might guess the military would expect than the windblown look. Didn't I hear that the super short season 6 hair was due to a bad cut & needing to fix it? the Season 7 hair almost looked overprocessed or something. Yeah--*I* should look that *bad.*

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                    I like the idea of Sam in command of the Deadulas for the start of s9
                    and just seeing what is "out there"
                    Yeah, I really like seeing that enthusiastic 'exploration side' of Sam!
                    That way imho we get to see Sam really command and see the next step in her journey, also would love to see "Sam in the candy store" as she delves into science while "out there" Really, really looking foreward to s9
                    I love how you phrased that: 'Sam in the candy store' for Sam exploring space -- space exploration is the core of scifi... and it goes so well with Sam's dreams of being an astronaut and her love of astrophysics.

Comment

Spoiler:

Kat

Edit: Sorry for spoilers, though I can't do much for the photos
                      Well I said this earlier and would love to repeat because it just ties in so beautifully with your photo montage...

In the AU's we've seen her in the past, she's always been associated with the Stargate program. In this one, she isn't.

What can we deduce from this?

That apparently in ANY reality, Sam needs to be involved with the Stargate program in order to keep her coolness quotient at acceptable levels...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Love the character of Sam! Shes one of the two favorites I have on the show! But I gotta know, AT did a lot of it in Moebius (
                        Spoiler:
                        both as our Sam and the other timeline Sam
                        ), but what in the world is up with the fish mouth? ROFL!

*DROOL*

McKAY: If you're referring to the ship you just shot down, the one that doesn't stand a hope in hell of ever flying again ...

TORRELL: The ship that you're gonna fix, yes.

McKAY: What am I, MacGyver? Fix it with what?

http://www.sgtsiler.com/Nikkirose.html
                        MINE.. ALL MINE!! Mwhahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkirose
                          Love the character of Sam! Shes one of the two favorites I have on the show! But I gotta know, AT did a lot of it in Moebius (
                          Spoiler:
                          both as our Sam and the other timeline Sam
                          ), but what in the world is up with the fish mouth? ROFL!
                          I really enjoyed Moebius...It was fun to see AT ham it up and play a completely quirky version of the character she's so famous for...

I wonder how the whole birth thing's coming? I haven't heard anything about her baby...I hope everything's okay

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I posted this a couple of days ago, just before the 'world went down', but didn't get any replies yet, so I figured that I'd repost and see if folks want to add their favorite Carter episodes and scenes to the choices that Iposted

What Are Your Series Favorite Carter Episodes?

What are your choices for the following categories?
                            (You don't have to post your choices for every category, you can just choose to comment on certain ones if you want).

Best All-Around Carter Episodes: episodes that feature/showcase Sam and show many of the following: Kick-Ass!Carter, Soldier!Sam, Smart!Sam, Science!Sam, etc.:

Great Kick-A$$ Carter Scenes:

Best AT Acting Episodes:

Best AT Acting Scenes:

Great Episodes for the Character Development of Sam Carter:

Top ‘Ship’ Episodes:

Best Carter Humor Scene: Where Carter/AT gets to be funny...

Best Carter Lines:

Best AT Adlib:

Best Sam-whumping scene/episode:

Best Sam/Teal'c scene/episode: (this category is especially for Skydiver )

Best episode where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contribution: (ForeverSG1's category suggestion )

Best Writer of good, solid Carter episodes:

For our internal poll, we could just post our choices in our posts on the SaGC - I am willing to watch the thread for votes and keep a tally and summary list of what folks choose. You can pick more than one episode for each category, and you can skip some categories completely if you want to. You can also nominate new categories...

I posted my favorite choices here

ForeverSG-1 started with:
                            where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contribution.
                            In Forever In A Day she got to shoot the big gun.
                            In Warrior she demonstrated the P-90.
                            In Homecoming did some major Jaffa butt-kicking.
                            Last edited by astrogeologist; 22 March 2005, 01:54 PM.

Comment

The more I think about it I really think the whole Daniel wrapped up with a flag in Threads was a poke at AT posing in the American flag. I thought I'd alter the flag Daniel wore a bit... but you tell me if you don't think this was intentional to tease Amanda. I mean Jack almost grabbed the American flag but changed his mind. hehe

Kat

Comment

I like the idea of Sam in command of the Deadulas for the start of s9 and just seeing what is "out there" That way imho we get to see
                                Sam really command and see the next step in her
                                journey, also would love to see "Sam in the candy store" as she delves into science while "out there"
                                that would be great. Exlploration is when SG1 is often at its best. But I don't want them to forget about the gate and go space ship happy. Then it would be too much like every other SF show. As long as Sam and the other characters are used well I'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X