Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    LOL

well, if all goes well it should just take a day or so...and it's better to do it now than next weekend
    It's that, 'if everything goes right' thinger that has me worried. The last time this happened, it was daaaays of waiting to get back on.

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      Refresh me, please, on the Daedalus again, on what was said.

Sally
      I think this is the part Elfinwood is referring to, transcript courtesy of Yahoo.com/group/SG1_Transcripts
      Spoilers for Moebius part 1
      Spoiler:
      SGC. SAM’S LAB. On a computer screen is an image of a battlecruiser. Sam is talking to Daniel and Teal’c about it.
      CARTER: The Daedalus. It has a few advantages over the Prometheus. The more advanced alien technologies were integrated into the original design rather than tacked on after the fact.
      DANIEL: When’s it gonna be ready?
      CARTER: Well, they’re already testing the Asgard hyperdrive. As soon as that checks out, it should be good to go.
      DANIEL: Hopefully we all get to go this time.
      CARTER: Last time they were worried about spreading our resources too thin.
      DANIEL: Yeah – now that Anubis is gone, the Replicators are gone ...
      CARTER: There are still a few System Lords out there but without their Jaffa armies, they’ve lost most of their power.
      TEAL’C (smiling): Indeed.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        I think this is the part Elfinwood is referring to, transcript courtesy of Yahoo.com/group/SG1_Transcripts
        Spoilers for Moebius part 1
        Spoiler:
        SGC. SAM’S LAB. On a computer screen is an image of a battlecruiser. Sam is talking to Daniel and Teal’c about it.
        CARTER: The Daedalus. It has a few advantages over the Prometheus. The more advanced alien technologies were integrated into the original design rather than tacked on after the fact.
        DANIEL: When’s it gonna be ready?
        CARTER: Well, they’re already testing the Asgard hyperdrive. As soon as that checks out, it should be good to go.
        DANIEL: Hopefully we all get to go this time.
        CARTER: Last time they were worried about spreading our resources too thin.
        DANIEL: Yeah – now that Anubis is gone, the Replicators are gone ...
        CARTER: There are still a few System Lords out there but without their Jaffa armies, they’ve lost most of their power.
        TEAL’C (smiling): Indeed.

NC
        Thanks, NC.

Well, I hope spoilers for s9
        Spoiler:
        that the 'away for personal and professional reasons' has the 'personal' reason be Jack.

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          We've said this before, but I want to repeat it:
          Amanda Tapping’s acting was simply stellar - five-star ! She truly acts – she doesn’t just stand in the scenes, say her lines and let the scene play out around her (as many TV actors do). She put forth an exceptional performance worthy of the cinema or theatre – and she was believable – and that believability, that veracity is what is so outstanding. And AT does this all the time, not just in Grace. And it's what makes AT stand out head and shoulders above almost all other actors
          Well said, Astrog. Thanks for the detailed Grace analysis... wonderfully done.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            Something in this Grace dialog reminded me of something I meant to look up in Threads

spoilers for s7's grace and s8's threads

When I was watching Threads, Jacob said something that made Sam make a remark, and then I realized it all sounded familiar. It wasn't until I read the Grace dialog that I found out why.

Dialog from Threads (courtesy of Gateworld: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/transcripts/818.shtml )

JACOB: That process instantly kills the symbiont before it releases toxins. It's too late for that, Sam. I'm sorry. I hate to do this to you, but I should have been dead four years ago. Since then, I've been all over the galaxy. I've done things most men never dream of.

CARTER: Where have I heard that before?

Did Sam say 'Where have I heard that before?' in reference to the literal exact same words she'd said to her hallucination-Jacob in Grace? What do you guys think?
            Sally
            I really got the feeling that the conversations Sam had with Jacob in Grace and Threads were nearly identical in nature.

This may be on the hint of shippiness for those of you who would prefer not to hear this point of view.

This is a bit paraphrased:
            Spoiler:

Grace:
            JACOB: Are you happy Sam?
            CARTER: Dad, I am happy. I've seen and done things most people couldn't even dream of. I have an incredible life.

JACOB ...your mother showed me a world beyond just ambition and career. She gave my life meaning and balance and it was my honour to love her for the short time she was with me.

It's time to let go of the things that prevent you from finding happiness. You deserve to love someone and be loved in return.

Threads:
            JACOB: I just wanna know you’re gonna be happy.
            CARTER: I am
            JACOB: Don’t let rules stand in your way.
            JACOB: You can still have everything you want.

The difference between Grace and Threads is Sam believed her hallucination of Jacob was saying that she should let go of the idea of being with Jack, but in fact, I believe he was saying she shouldn't let her career prevent her from finding happiness.

Also, the words spoken by Jack to Sam in Grace were also nearly identical to what was spoken between Sam and Jack in Threads.

Grace:
            O'NEILL: Jacob was right. You deserve more. I will always be there for you, no matter what. Believe me

Threads:
            CARTER: Thank you, sir.
            O’NEILL (quietly): For what?
            CARTER: For being here for me.
            O’NEILL: Always.

I find it very interesting that the conversations Sam had with Jacob and Jack in Threads were very close to those she had with them through her hallucinations a year ago. It just makes me wonder how much of the year would have been changed in Sam's life if she had not misunderstood what the hallucinations were actually trying to tell her. What's the old adage about hindsight? *sigh*

Kat
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 19 March 2005, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I really got the feeling that the conversations Sam had with Jacob in Grace and Threads were nearly identical in nature.

This may be on the hint of shippiness for those of you who would prefer not to hear this point of view.

This is a bit paraphrased:
              Spoiler:

Grace:
              JACOB: Are you happy Sam?
              CARTER: Dad, I am happy. I've seen and done things most people couldn't even dream of. I have an incredible life.

JACOB ...your mother showed me a world beyond just ambition and career. She gave my life meaning and balance and it was my honour to love her for the short time she was with me.

It's time to let go of the things that prevent you from finding happiness. You deserve to love someone and be loved in return.

Threads:
              JACOB: I just wanna know you’re gonna be happy.
              CARTER: I am
              JACOB: Don’t let rules stand in your way.
              JACOB: You can still have everything you want.

The difference between Grace and Threads is Sam believed her hallucination of Jacob was saying that she should let go of the idea of being with Jack, but in fact, I believe he was saying she shouldn't let her career prevent her from finding happiness.

Also, the words spoken by Jack to Sam in Grace were also nearly identical to what was spoken between Sam and Jack in Threads.

Grace:
              O'NEILL: Jacob was right. You deserve more. I will always be there for you, no matter what. Believe me

Threads:
              CARTER: Thank you, sir.
              O’NEILL (quietly): For what?
              CARTER: For being here for me.
              O’NEILL: Always.

I find it very interesting that the conversations Sam had with Jacob and Jack in Threads were very close to those she had with them through her hallucinations a year ago. It just makes me wonder how much of the year would have been changed in Sam's life if she had not misunderstood what the hallucinations were actually trying to tell her. What's the old adage about hindsight? *sigh*

Kat
              Very insightful, Kat. I love the parallels and I think you're right. This also takes me back to wondering if all Sam's hallucinations were of her mind or alien influence... I'd love to know someday, because it was hinted at that the aliens in Grace might be shown or talked about in season 9.

Sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

Overall, I enthusiastically give the writers, directors and actors of Grace,
                5 blue jellos

The episode ‘Grace’ exceeds the quality of most standard TV science fiction.
                Writer: Damien Kindler; Director: Peter F. Woeste

More than six months before I got to see the episode, I had heard and read synopses of the show… Carter is stranded alone on the Prometheus… and has some time to think about her life. Now, stranding main characters on a ship is an old TV sci fi plot device, so, to be honest, the episode sounded fairly… boring. But then I finally got to watch ‘Grace’ (on the DVDs this past November) – and I was stunned at how well the episode was constructed, filmed and acted. The story was never boring… and in fact, the episode seemed to reach the end all too quickly. I have actually watched this episode three times now (and that was a first for me with a TV show episode), and I see more commendable attributes with each viewing!

We've said this before, but I want to repeat it:
                Amanda Tapping’s acting was simply stellar - five-star ! She truly acts – she doesn’t just stand in the scenes, say her lines and let the scene play out around her (as many TV actors do). She put forth an exceptional performance worthy of the cinema or theatre – and she was believable – and that believability, that veracity is what is so outstanding. And AT does this all the time, not just in Grace. And it's what makes AT stand out head and shoulders above almost all other actors.
                Thankfully for AT, others besides us, saw what a stellar performance she gave in Grace and she was awarded a Leo for Best Lead Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series (Grace-2004)

I was happy that she won a Leo for her performance in the episode Ascension as well.

I know it's nice to hear from the fans that they love her, but I'm sure it means a lot to be recognized by her peers as well.

Kat

P.S Btw...I just wanted to say that, Astro, you truly are the
                'Storyboard Queen'. I stand in awe of your amazing talents.

Comment

Wow! That post #3341 was quite indepth, AG.

Your pic sequence of Sam studying the bubbles shows, to me, just how earnest AT gets in her Sam role. The eyes spoke volumes - staring at the bubbles, unfocusing slightly as her intuition took the bubbles down a creative path, eyes coming into sharp focus as realization hit, then going again slightly out of focus as she drew inward to work out the mechanics of her next move.

Also, while I think that Grace is an aspect of Sam, she is also an aspect of Jack that Sam really connects with; he has a way of seeing complex things simply that Sam appreciates. How often has Sam gotten her ideas from some simple phrase or action of Jack's? (She also got help from Hammond(MoT), Daniel(MiaB), and even Sokar(100 Days).)

I see Sam's personality as such that she needs the balance of a Grace in her life.

Thanks for all the great posts, everybody.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Thankfully for AT, others besides us, saw what a stellar performance she gave in Grace and she was awarded a Leo for Best Lead Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series (Grace-2004)

I was happy that she won a Leo for her performance in the episode Ascension as well.

I know it's nice to hear from the fans that they love her, but I'm sure it means a lot to be recognized by her peers as well.

Kat

P.S Btw...I just wanted to say that, Astro, you truly are the
                    'Storyboard Queen'. I stand in awe of your amazing talents.

Yes! I was so glad to see that AT won a Leo for Grace (as well as Ascension)! Astrogeologist's amazing screen caps and stories of Grace reinforces to me how well AT performed in Grace. Thanks to Astro, I will enjoy Grace even more when I watch it again.

Let's hope AT wins the Saturn in May! I also think that she may be nominated for a Leo for at least one of her wonderful performances in season eight (such as in New Order, Gemini, Threads, Mobieus). I am amazed at the way AT has played three different versions of Sam. All brilliant, and these performances show her breadth as an actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      Your pic sequence of Sam studying the bubbles shows, to me,
                      just how earnest AT gets in her Sam role.
                      The eyes spoke volumes
                      - staring at the bubbles,
                      unfocusing slightly as her intuition took the bubbles down a creative path,

eyes coming into sharp focus as realization hit,
                      then going again slightly out of focus as she drew inward
                      to work out the mechanics of her next move.
                      Thanks, TH! That's exactly what I was trying to say!
                      Your stated it much more effectively, however. Perfect!

AT acted that scene so well that it stood out for me the very first time I saw the episode. Just loved seeing Sam's thought processes play out so well on AT's face. Again, here was a few moments on screen without any dialogue... and AT doesn't need any!

Comment

First the world was down, and then my computer.
                        And look how busy you've all been! Especially astro! Not just one sequence from Grace, but nearly the whole episode LOL ! I will have to work on a nice digital present for you for that, but in the meantime, how about I give you five blue jello's.

my new motto: never set foot outside of Samanda. If you do, you are likely to end up entering a thread like this, wondering if they were discussing your other favourite characters.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=10270
                        Last edited by deepspace; 20 March 2005, 12:25 PM. Reason: edited to say that I haven't seen Coley around lately. Hope our royal accountant comes back soon.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                          First the world was down, and then my computer.
                          LOL at 'First the world was down' (took me a minute to realize that was GATEworld! ) And you're not the only one with computer problems -- Chopingal can't join us because her monitor went out - her computer actually works just fine... she just can't communicate with it! And Coley's still with us.. earlier this week, she sat down to read up on the posts that she'd missed... only to... find out that 'the world was down' (bad timing)

Originally posted by deepspace
                          my new motto: never set foot outside of Samanda. If you do, you are likely to end up entering a thread like this, wondering if they were discussing your other favourite characters.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=10270
                          The link didn't work for me

Comment

good! I'm glad the link doesn't work. That means that skydiver has taken the thread away. I think she was the last one to post in that thread, and she said it was going to be removed. It was a thread titled something like 'who's your favourite character', and it was nothing to do with that. Rather, it was a great big thing on how people who watch stargate are losers etc...

sorry that chopingal is having problems with the computer too.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

actually, just looked. The thread has not been taken away yet. Must have been my link that didn't work. It's called "whos your fave character (im doing my own unofficial survey)". My suggestion = don't go there.

My question = how come it's so nice here, and everytime I get curious about what's outside, I find something nasty? I guess curiosity killed the cat.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

actually, i think i closed it. there was very little discussion and a lot of nastiness
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X