Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    More guess the epi. and if I ever finish grading #%$#@ exams, I'll have time to play and will record some more.

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3
    And this one's especially for you, astro. Clip 4
    NC
    Clip 1 Hate the sentiment... am hoping it's not one of 'those backward planets'...hmmm...

Clip 2 My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Exodus/Enemies ... and I need to put this one on the Sam Quote page - You Go Girl!

Clip 3 Sam needed that in Gemini!

And this one's especially for you, astro. Clip 4 Aaaaa.... trying to remember.... aaaaa...

Great clips, NC!!! (and good luck on the grading )

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      More guess the epi. and if I ever finish grading #%$#@ exams, I'll have time to play and will record some more.

Clip 1

Clip 2

Clip 3

And this one's especially for you, astro. Clip 4

NC
      Clip 1
      Spoiler:
      Nightwalkers

Clip 2
      Spoiler:
      Enemies

Clip 3
      No idea...

Clip 4
      Well I was gonna let Astro answer it, but...
      Spoiler:
      The Serpent's Lair? When shes in the Glider, looking up at the Earth?

Originally posted by AstorG
      Other ideas? (Of course RL is an option for those who must )
      Hmmm, I have heard rumors of this 'Real Life' - please, enlighten me
      For my part, I think I'll go back and watch all my favourite Sam episodes again

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Clip 4
        Well I was gonna let Astro answer it, but...
        Spoiler:
        The Serpent's Lair? When shes in the Glider, looking up at the Earth?
        Ack! Should have just looked down at my own signature pic!
        Good catch AgentDark - and great choice for an audio clip, NC!

Comment

Good jobs on Clips 1, 2, and 4 AD and astro! You two are much better at this than I would be.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Clip 3
            No idea...
            Spoiler:
            Thor's Chariot, when Sam, Daniel and Garwin get transported into Thor's Hall of Might
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Got it Gracie! Good ear!

NC

Comment

Originally posted by JonasQuinn
                Since when was the GateWorld Forum down? Or is it going to be soon?

it's going to be moving to a new server in the near future, which means there'll be downtime. they'll close it so that they can preserve all the posts, then transfer the data
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Spoilers for Moebius I
                  Spoiler:
                  I loved this episode! It was just plain fun. AT was fabulous! She had me laughing so hard at geeky Sam. Even though I had been thoroughly spoiled for this episode and had heard that she was fabulous in it, seeing it for myself was like seeing it without prior knowledge because the nuances AT brings to the character are something you just cannot appreciate until you see geeky Sam for yourself. And I laughed just as hard during the second showing! I'm soooo glad that AT finally got the opportunity to show us her comedic side. I could tell that Lucille Ball is one of AT's idols because so many of the mannerisms and expressions she used for geeky Sam were very reminiscent of the "I Love Lucy" character.

I also am getting the strong feeling that they are going to have Sam on the Daedalus (sp?) as a reason for her absence at the start of next season. I thought that the lead-in was a pretty strong hint in that direction, as was Jack's "packing" comment in Threads. Even though season 9 had not been formally renewed when they shot these two shows, I have a feeling that TPTB had a pretty good idea that it was going to happen. Plus, they were already aware of AT's pregnancy and had to know that she would miss some filming time. So, I think they were just laying a little ground work and doing it in such a way that it could be interpreted a few different ways in case things turned out differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfinwood
                    Spoilers for Moebius I
                    Spoiler:
                    I loved this episode! It was just plain fun. AT was fabulous! She had me laughing so hard at geeky Sam. Even though I had been thoroughly spoiled for this episode and had heard that she was fabulous in it, seeing it for myself was like seeing it without prior knowledge because the nuances AT brings to the character are something you just cannot appreciate until you see geeky Sam for yourself. And I laughed just as hard during the second showing! I'm soooo glad that AT finally got the opportunity to show us her comedic side. I could tell that Lucille Ball is one of AT's idols because so many of the mannerisms and expressions she used for geeky Sam were very reminiscent of the "I Love Lucy" character.

I also am getting the strong feeling that they are going to have Sam on the Daedalus (sp?) as a reason for her absence at the start of next season. I thought that the lead-in was a pretty strong hint in that direction, as was Jack's "packing" comment in Threads. Even though season 9 had not been formally renewed when they shot these two shows, I have a feeling that TPTB had a pretty good idea that it was going to happen. Plus, they were already aware of AT's pregnancy and had to know that she would miss some filming time. So, I think they were just laying a little ground work and doing it in such a way that it could be interpreted a few different ways in case things turned out differently.
                    Great post Elfinwood! Loved to hear your comments about AT's acting! I can't wait to see this episode for myself! (hopefully in a couple of weeks... )

Comment

Something in this Grace dialog reminded me of something I meant to look up in Threads

spoilers for s7's grace and s8's threads

Originally posted by astrogeologist

SAM: Dad, I am happy. I've seen and done things most people couldn't even dream of. I have an incredible life.
                      JACOB: And yet you're alone.
                      When I was watching Threads, Jacob said something that made Sam make a remark, and then I realized it all sounded familiar. It wasn't until I read the Grace dialog that I found out why.

Dialog from Threads (courtesy of Gateworld: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/transcripts/818.shtml )

JACOB: That process instantly kills the symbiont before it releases toxins. It's too late for that, Sam. I'm sorry. I hate to do this to you, but I should have been dead four years ago. Since then, I've been all over the galaxy. I've done things most men never dream of.

CARTER: Where have I heard that before?

Did Sam say 'Where have I heard that before?' in reference to the literal exact same words she'd said to her hallucination-Jacob in Grace? What do you guys think?

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Grace: Bubbles

I love this scene with Grace. First Grace invites Sam to blow some bubbles, Sam declines... but then Sam starts talking about how bubbles fascinated her when she was a kid... and she enthusiastically starts explaining surface tension "I remember when I was a little girl I used to wonder how a bubble could exist. You see there's this thing called surface tension, when molecules bind together in a certain way…" But Grace doesn't want to hear it (actually calls the explanation boring...and my 'inner physicist' is wounded, but I know that lots of folks think science is boring... )...

Grace brings the bubble soap over to Sam to get her to play along. Sam joins in. I like how this shows the softer, playful side of Sam - and shows how well Sam can interact with children.
                        Love Sam/AT's smile at the end.

Now - I have to ask you -- how many of you would have thought that anyone could write a plausible Stargate scifi storyline that had Sam Carter blowing bubbles with a little girl? I love how the storyline of this episode let us see these personal glimpses into Sam's life and psyche.

----------------

SAM: What do you want?
                        GRACE: What do you mean?
                        SAM: Whoever you are, I know why everyone else keeps showing up,
                        why are you here? What do you want from me?

GRACE: I don't want anything. But you do. Then the traveller in the dark thanks you for your tiny spark. How could he see where to go if he did not twinkle so?

I was impressed by how AT played this without any lines.

She's watching the bubbles and thinking about the corroding ship while explosions are going off all around. But she's paying attention to the hallucination from her subconscious - she knows that it means something.

I didn't capture it as well as AT plays it on the film, but AT's face shows her puzzling through the possibilities and then she really focusses on the bubbles - you can almost see the wheels and cogs turning inside her mind. And then AT shows it on her face when Sam 'gets it'. This is such a short scene, but it's one of the cruxes of the main storyline. It's the explanation of why Sam was hallucinating about Grace blowing bubbles, and it's the answer to getting out of the cloud.
                        Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        Your pic sequence of Sam studying the bubbles shows, to me,
                        just how earnest AT gets in her Sam role.
                        The eyes spoke volumes
                        - staring at the bubbles,
                        unfocusing slightly as her intuition took the bubbles down a creative path,

eyes coming into sharp focus as realization hit,
                        then going again slightly out of focus as she drew inward
                        to work out the mechanics of her next move.
                        ------------

And more kudos for the writers - they let Sam save herself (and the rest of the Prometheus crew), instead of having Jack or some other 'calvary' come in and save her. And not only did they let her come up with the solution, it was *so* in character. Smart!Sam got to save the day. And they wrote this episode so that it didn't simply look like Sam was presented with a problem and immediately pulled a solution out of thin air - instead, they showed her trying an idea, having it fail, then she'd try something else, and it wouldn't work, and then she'd have to go to Plan C and then D and then E.... until she eventually ran out of ideas that came quickly. So then she thought about it and came up with the idea to vent some air... but then she hallucinated Grace getting sucked out and abandoned that idea.

---------------------

GRACE: What are you looking at?
                        SAM: It's complicated.
                        GRACE: Try me.
                        SAM: I'm gonna try and save myself with a bubble.
                        GRACE: How?

SAM: The hyperdrive won't fully engage because of the cloud but maybe it doesn't have to. If I can dial down the power flow to the hyperdrive emitter theoretically I should be able to cause a partial shift into hyperspace, essentially taking the ship out of the cloud's space time. Hopefully just enough to eliminate its effects on the sub light engines.
                        GRACE: Neat.
                        SAM: Yeah.
                        Click to listen to audio clip

I love how Grace asks what Sam is doing, and Sam just tells her that it's complicated, so Grace says 'Try Me.' (This is a great plot device to explain what Sam is doing to the viewer - they get to have Sam explain it to herself!). Sam launches into a quickie technobabble explanation, in layman's terms, and Grace's response is one of my favorites 'Neat!' AT's reaction is even better - she's a bit non-plussed (she's not used to people saying 'Neat' after some technobabble), but then she just has to smile - she is basically talking to herself and Sam does think it's neat! At any rate, I loved the whole exchange here between Sam and Grace. Beautifully acted and played out.

----------------

Loved the ending scenes where her Daniel and Teal'c hallucinations are asking her what she's doing - advising her to take the safer course of action and save herself first and then come back with help to try and save the rest of the Prometheus crew. Love how her Jack hallucination tells D&T to shut up and just let her work.

And Sam gets to be heroic again in the last scenes as she saves not only herself and the Prometheus crew, but also the crew of the alien spaceship. And Sam's willingness to risk trusting others is what makes it all work. Sam makes a deal with the previously hostile aliens, gets the Prom crew back and then uses the partial-hyperspace-time-shift-bubble to get both ships out of the nebula. Once there, it's all up to trust, because that hostile alien ship has them seriously outgunned... And this time Sam's trust works. The aliens quietly leave. Very in character to show Sam problem-solving and her willingness to risk trusting others and her willingness to act on the belief that others will also act honorably.

-------------

Awhile back on the thread, MajorSal asked what folks thought of Grace... did we think Grace was Sam as a child... or was Grace really (in scifi) a manifestation of some kind of sentient cloud? I couldn't answer that question earlier, because I felt that the episode didn't answer the question, and that the episode could work with either explanation. After doing these storyboards and comment-reviews of the episode, however, I think that Grace works best as Sam's hallucination of her 'inner child'... manifestations of facets of Sam's personality that we very rarely get to see on the show. In an interview that I read months and months ago, AT was asked what she thought Grace was... and AT's reply was that that question was not answered in the episode and that there were several possibilities... manifestation of the cloud, Sam's inner child, etc. AT then went on to say that she decided to play it as if Grace was Sam's inner child - and I think that I agree with AT's interpretation. I love the idea that I'm seeing into the personal side of Sam Carter... and that there is this bright, sunny playful kid in there.
                        -----------

Overall, I enthusiastically give the writers, directors and actors of Grace,
                        5 blue jellos

The episode ‘Grace’ exceeds the quality of most standard TV science fiction.
                        Writer: Damien Kindler; Director: Peter F. Woeste

More than six months before I got to see the episode, I had heard and read synopses of the show… Carter is stranded alone on the Prometheus… and has some time to think about her life. Now, stranding main characters on a ship is an old TV sci fi plot device, so, to be honest, the episode sounded fairly… boring. But then I finally got to watch ‘Grace’ (on the DVDs this past November) – and I was stunned at how well the episode was constructed, filmed and acted. The story was never boring… and in fact, the episode seemed to reach the end all too quickly. I have actually watched this episode three times now (and that was a first for me with a TV show episode), and I see more commendable attributes with each viewing!

We've said this before, but I want to repeat it:
                        Amanda Tapping’s acting was simply stellar - five-star ! She truly acts – she doesn’t just stand in the scenes, say her lines and let the scene play out around her (as many TV actors do). She put forth an exceptional performance worthy of the cinema or theatre – and she was believable – and that believability, that veracity is what is so outstanding. And AT does this all the time, not just in Grace. And it's what makes AT stand out head and shoulders above almost all other actors.
                        Grace post 1 (#3250): opening scenes: Kid In A Candy Store
                        Grace post 2 (#3267): Concussion, waking up, first hallucinations
                        Grace post 3 (#3277): Hallucinations - some are annoying!
                        Grace post 4 (#3287): Hallucinations and Reality
                        Grace post 5 (#3306): Maybe It's Alive?
                        Grace post 6 (#3313): Who Are You?
                        Grace post 7 (#3341): Bubbles

Photos are screen captures from the episode Grace
                        Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 08 April 2005, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          Something in this Grace dialog reminded me of something I meant to look up in Threads

spoilers for s7's grace and s8's threads
                          When I was watching Threads, Jacob said something that made Sam make a remark, and then I realized it all sounded familiar. It wasn't until I read the Grace dialog that I found out why.

Dialog from Threads (courtesy of Gateworld: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/transcripts/818.shtml )

Spoiler:
                          JACOB: That process instantly kills the symbiont before it releases toxins. It's too late for that, Sam. I'm sorry. I hate to do this to you, but I should have been dead four years ago. Since then, I've been all over the galaxy. I've done things most men never dream of.

CARTER: Where have I heard that before?

Did Sam say 'Where have I heard that before?' in reference to the literal exact same words she'd said to her hallucination-Jacob in Grace? What do you guys think? Sally
                          Oh, I think you are absolutely correct, Sally- it's definitely a reference to the dialogue in Grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            it's going to be moving to a new server in the near future, which means there'll be downtime. they'll close it so that they can preserve all the posts, then transfer the data
                            I wish they'd wait until Moebius 2 aires in the States. Tell Darren to wait, Skydiver, and tell him I said that's an order.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elfinwood
                              Spoilers for Moebius I
                              Spoiler:

Refresh me, please, on the Daedalus again, on what was said.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                I wish they'd wait until Moebius 2 aires in the States. Tell Darren to wait, Skydiver, and tell him I said that's an order.

Sally
                                LOL

well, if all goes well it should just take a day or so...and it's better to do it now than next weekend
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X