Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    What's not to love?!

I imagine we will be hearing something soon regarding Amanda's mini-me!
    In an interview, she was talking about memorable meetings with fans; and there was one in particular she would never forget.

Apparently a fan came up to her, hugged her and told her that she made her a better person. AT was stunned by that thought and couldn't imagine how she did that but it really meant something to her that she had affected people's lives.

Now, I don't know what that fan was talking about for herself, but I feel the same way to the extent that seeing someone who's a leading woman, strong yet emotional, imperfect yet persistent...it makes me want to be that type of confident individual. She portrays character traits that are important for people to try to shoot for and make a part of themselves.

The fact that she doesn't understand this - about the power of the medium and about her gift as an actress - makes me admire her more...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Grace: Hallucinations and Reality
      GRACE: When the blazing sun is gone, when he nothing shines upon.
      SAM: Who are you? What do you want?
      GRACE: Then you show your little light, twinkle twinkle all the night. Come on, this way.
      Sam follows.
      SAM: Wait!

Sam rounds a corner and Teal'c is there.
      TEAL'C: Samantha.
      SAM: Teal'c, did you see.. of course you didn't.
      TEAL'C: I am here to warn you.
      SAM: I know, I have to stay awake.
      TEAL'C: That's not all. Everything may not be as it seems.
      SAM: Well thank you but the fact that I'm talking to someone who's not really here kind of speaks to that.
      "Everything May Not Be As It Seems" (Click to listen to audio clip)

TEAL'C: On the contrary, I think it is you that's not here.
      SAM: What are you talking about?
      TEAL'C: I believe that you and the other crew members are being held prisoner aboard the alien vessel that attacked you.
      SAM: How do you know?
      TEAL'C: It is possible they are probing your mind. If so, any information obtained may be used to attack Earth.
      SAM: Hold on. Even if you're right, what am I supposed to do about it?
      TEAL'C: Nothing
      SAM: Teal'c, give me something here.
      TEAL'C: Very well. As you attempt to repair the ship's engines, you may inadvertently be divulging to your captors vital information concerning Prometheus technology. I do believe it would be prudent to do nothing.
      SAM: I can't do that Teal'c.
      "Do Nothing." (Click to listen to audio clip)

TEAL'C: Be careful Samantha.
      SAM: Wait! Where you going? You're wrong Teal'c, I'm not on an alien ship. I'm right here.
      "I'm Right Here" (Click to listen to audio clip)

Sam wakes up on the floor.
      SAM: This is real. This is real.
      "This is real." (Click to listen to audio clip)

Every scene I watch in this episode, I am more and more amazed at the quality of the writing, directing, acting - and the scifi! In this episode, they simply did a fantastic job of creating a wonderful scifi story... it's got mystery, an alien spaceship, a nebula with unknown aspects, a lead character with a concussion, well-done scenes where reality and hallucination play in counterpoint, the other main characters play out scenes in Sam's delusions, humor, angst...wow!

Starting with the first couple of panels above, I love this scene where Sam follows Grace around the corner - and Teal'c is standing there. Sam starts to ask Teal'c is he's seen a little girl, then realizes that she's asking one delusion if he's seen the other one!

Love the way they had Teal'c play out in Sam's delusions... great caricatures and skewed perspectives on how Teal'c would act - perfect for a hallucination!

--And they used Daniel and Teal'c to play out dialogue that works through the various scifi scenarios that could explain what is going on. Here, Sam thinks through the possibility that everything she is experiencing are hallucinations controlled by the aliens in the hostile spaceship. Her Teal'c hallucination gives her someone to discuss it with - and it plays in-character for Teal'c.

I love the line where she replies to Teal'c's 'Everything may not be as it seems'
      TEAL'C: That's not all. Everything may not be as it seems.
      SAM: Well thank you but the fact that I'm talking to someone who's not really here kind of speaks to that.
      Love how polite she is (thank you) even in her delusions - and I just love that line 'the fact taht I'm talking to someone who's not really here kind of speaks to that!'

I also love it when Teal'c tells her to do nothing and she says (in a perfectly pitched tired voice) 'Teal'c, give me something here.'
      SAM: Hold on. Even if you're right, what am I supposed to do about it?
      TEAL'C: Nothing
      SAM: Teal'c, give me something here.

And then, when Teal'c says that he thinks that 'it would be prudent to do nothing' - and she says 'I can't do that, Teal'c.' Again, it's AT's voice and inflection that carry the scene for me. She's tired and hurting, but she can't just sit around and do nothing!

Then I love the scene where Teal'c leaves and Sam stands there alone in the corridor, 'I'm right here'. Well filmed, well framed, well acted! Rips my heart out!

One of the absolutely most memorable scenes of the entire episode was when the camera shot opens on Sam's unconscious face. She's lying on the corridor floor, where she apparently passed out. A door opens in the background (no explanation for that, btw), and Sam wakes up. Great camera closeup on her face and eyes. This episode was such a 'mental story' of Sam's struggles with the ship interwoven with her hallucinations, that the viewer is constantly questioning what is real and what is a delusion and what is going on and where things are headed... closeups of AT's face and eyes were perfect shots for this 'inside her head' story.

"This is real, this is real" - AT said the words so perfectly, her tone and inflection conveying so much more than the words. The pain in her head and waking up on the hard corridor floor - 'This is real.' And she's answering the question of whether or not this is all a delusion controlled by the hostile aliens... it's not... 'This is real.'

Grace post 1 (#3250): opening scenes: Kid In A Candy Store
      Grace post 2 (#3267): Concussion, waking up, first hallucinations
      Grace post 3 (#3277): Hallucinations - some are annoying!
      Grace post 4 (#3287): Hallucinations and Reality
      Grace post 5 (#3306): Maybe It's Alive?
      Grace post 6 (#3313): Who Are You?
      Grace post 7 (#3341): Bubbles
      Photos are screen captures from the episode Grace
      Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 08 April 2005, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I pulled out my dvds and watched Summit last pm. Ever since I started frequenting this thread I watch Sam moments much more closely. Forgive me if this has been pointed out before--this is such a healthy thread, it's hard to keep track.
        Anyway, not the "big moments" but I think very telling about Sam.
        1) She tries to get the Tokra to put Lantash into the wounded Major Mansfield. We don't really know him, but it is clear that Sam looks out for all SGC people (& really anyone in trouble.)
        2) When Mansfield dies & she takes his dog tags, she sort of puts her hand over his, like a goodbye or tribute (in my interpretation, anyway). How much of this was in the script and how much was AT, I don't know. but it's very Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          2) When Mansfield dies & she takes his dog tags, she sort of puts her hand over his, like a goodbye or tribute (in my interpretation, anyway). How much of this was in the script and how much was AT, I don't know. but it's very Sam.
          that was rather touching. do you ever get the idea that she's done that a few too many times?

gone to hammond to give him the dogtags of the dead?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            that was rather touching. do you ever get the idea that she's done that a few too many times?

gone to hammond to give him the dogtags of the dead?
            Yes. Even when she tries to lightheartedly give Elliot that pep talk, you know that's just what it is--a pep talk.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Yes, me too. You wonder if the directors more and more realized as the seasons progressed what they had with AT & capitalized on it. I know one director on a commentary said something about them liking to go to Amanda for "reaction shots" because she's so expressive.
              I like to listen to the director's commentary every chance I get, because they really are quite interesting. And I think nearly every director (including Menard, director of photography) and writer has complimented her at some point in the four seasons of DVDs they have released in the US that actually have audio commentary. It should also be noted that they compliment her whether she's in the room with them or not. Normally it's because of the eyes (Note: DeLuise has mentioned them on numerous occasions ), but a lot of the times it's about her professionalism and/or work ethic, as well as her friendly persona.

I think that's what's actually sold me on believing that she's truly an honest-to-goodness altrustic person. I've heard WAY too many good things about her coming from co-workers and fans to think otherwise.

Comment

I agree. You can't get that many positive comments and have them all be the typical PR bull roar. One of the other things that has been noted on the commentaries is about close ups. Apparently sometimes the camera has to get pretty much right on top of you and she is a good sport about it. And looks great. She is so modest though. I love how on one episode commentary with PDL she said something like "we shouldn't shoot me that close up--it's scary."

Comment

This is my tribute to Amanda and her unique gift to bring so many different personalities to the character of Samantha Carter.

Hope you like
                  Kat
                  Last edited by ForeverSg1; 18 March 2005, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    This is my tribute to Amanda and her unique gift to bring so many different personalities to the character of Samantha Carter.

Hope you like
                    Kat
                    Awesome collage, Kat!
                    You do such great photo-editting!
                    And you picked great Sam-shots!
                    Thanks so much for posting this here for us all to see!

Comment

Guess this Episode or Add a Caption:

Comment

You have been talking about AT's reactions in scenes where she's not the main character, and I agree with what everyone has said. She is always "on", even when she's not the focus of the scene. I was watching "Urgo" today, and loved the scene where Sam is talking to Urgo (he's invisible here) whilst she's walking down the corridor. General Hammond and Janet appear and there's a funny conversation between them all. Janet and General Hammond then continue to discuss the problem and are the focus of the scene, but you see Sam in the background continuing talking with Urgo. I think Amanda's acting here is great.

I'm sorry the pics are not great, but perhaps our Royal Photographer can do a better version of this.
                        sigpic

Comment

that's one reason amanda's got so many reaction shots as opposed to the others. she ALWAYS reacts, even when there's only one camera in the room and it's pointed at someone else

they know that they can always get something from her, so, especially when time is short, it's good to have someone you can depend on
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Here are some pictures and audio clips from Moebius part 1

NC
                            Last edited by NearlyCircular; 18 March 2005, 06:27 PM. Reason: To correct a brain fart!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                              Here are some pictures and audio clips from Threads part 1

NC
                              Moebius Part 1 don't ya mean

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                Here are some pictures and audio clips from Threads part 1

NC
                                Great pics and sound clips, NC! I love the 'frequent flier' one!

Comment

Working...
                                X