Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Hey guys! How's it going? Long time, no... post.

OK, so this is really random, but I thought I'd ask you experts about something. I figure the Samandan President would know better than I about this subject. It's random speculation about season nine, but I really do want to know...

For Reckoning Part 2 and potentially Season Nine...
    Spoiler:

Is it possible that RepliCarter figured out a way to ascend without the help of Oma and Co. based on what she learned from Daniel before the energy weapon went off?

This is coming from someone who thought that the character was short-lived but awesome, and would like to see her again.

Samo... If you're reading this... Inquiring mind(s) wanna know...

While I suppose it's possible(in SF what isn't? ) I somehow doubt that's what happened to RepSam.

I do hope that she saw what was coming and so initiated plan B... or make that, C.... D, by this point? and got herself to heck out of Dodge.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      CURSE YOU RL!!!!!

Okay regarding that Samtastic smile, one episode I'd have to submit for consideration would be SMALL VICTORIES, when she smiles at Jack playing around with the magnifying glass.

Which leads me to my next question for my little game:

Name the CHARACTERS who have had the deepest impact on her. Now, if you say Jack, that's fine but really obvious. Sure, there's the shippy aspect that some choose to see or not see; but there's other things there too that shows how he's affected her over the years. As I mentioned earlier, he has the effect of lightening her up a lot which I think is great, of course. Some of her lightest moments are when she's around him.

But like I said, way too obvious. So who in the series - main cast or otherwise - has had an effect on her character development over the years and how?

Quickly, before I go to class ... I'm going to choose Cassandra and Hailey.

Both girls came into Sam's life and evoked responses which showed her in a new and different light: as a mother figure, protective of Cassie, but also embarrassed, at first, of these strong maternal feelings. Remember her apologizing to Daniel when she was crying in Cassie's room? And, in the end, feeling somewhat uncomfortable when Teal'c suggests that she had motherly feelings for Cassie. Sam seemed to be knocked a bit off balance by this sudden intrusion of a dependent child into her life. Of course, she grew to love her and was willing to give her life for her just so that she would not be alone at the final moment.

Then, as a mentor, seeing herself in Hailey but also knowing that the young woman needed guidance to knock that chip off her shoulder and stop blaming Sam for what was happening to her at the Academy. She really goes out on a limb and convinces Hammond to bring Hailey to the SGC and reveal the Gate and takes her off world. Hailey continues to challenge her regarding her knowledge of physics/quantum mechanics and she has to rise to the challenge each time by humbly admitting her mistakes and fallibilities. So Hailey makes Sam take a better look at herself while Sam helps her to grow up.

Comment

Some warm and fuzzy behind-the-scenes moments ... we all have been posting about the great affection the cast seem to have for each other and how there is a lot of laughter and humor on the set ... well, I happened to be watching the Beyond the Gate on RDA the other day and caught a couple fast scenes that I didn't notice before. This is on the S7 DVD set's special features.

RDA (who looks really good in a red shirt) is talking about himself and his fondness for the team and Jack's crazy sense of humor. The camera then shows a scene from Avenger 2.0 with Sam on left and Felger to the right of O'Neill and RDA makes some snide remark and AT and Patrick McKenna just lose it ... this goes very fast but AT doubles over laughing ... it's cute to watch on slow fast-forward. Then there's a quick shot of Amanda coming up to RDA (in her Death Knell makeup) and greeting him with a warm kiss while CJ stands to their right extending his hand to AT and waiting probably to kiss and hug her too. This makes sense because she mentions that they were all away from each other for a couple weeks shooting 2-3 episodes at a time around Rick's schedule. It's just a lovely moment of three actors obviously so happy to be reunited and catching up with each other.

Again, these moments are hard to catch ... you need to probably slow frames, but fun to watch. Beyond the Gate, RDA. It seems an era is passing with the end of S8 and loss of RDA, but nice to have these glimpses of all of them together.

Sigh ... what happens next? Stargate, the Next Generation?

Comment

Okay regarding that Samtastic smile, one episode I'd have to submit for consideration would be SMALL VICTORIES, when she smiles at Jack playing around with the magnifying glass.
          I love her smile in Learning Curve, when Merrin observes that Jack is "not as smart" as Sam and Janet. Sam does it again when she says that learning how to build a naquadah reactor "sounds like fun to me!"

Also, Fair Game, when Sam is getting her Major oak leaves. What a smile!

Which leads me to my next question for my little game:
          <sigh> So many games. So little time....

Name the CHARACTERS who have had the deepest impact on her.
          Not counting the SGC folk and her teammates, and in no particular order:

Narim. Why? Because he professed his feelings for her and gave her a way to truly know that his feelings were real - he wasn't just hitting on the pretty girl. Also, because he knew science that Sam couldn't yet grasp, and it seems to me that she must have wondered what Narim would do in such and such a sticky situation. His death, as well as his people's would have left Sam with some pretty heavy angst, too.

[I]Jolinar[/] Needs no explanation.

[I]Martouf[/] Because of Jolinar's memories, her own personal dealings with him and because she'd been the one to kill him.

[I]Jacob/Selmac[/] Dad always had a deep impact on Sam. She joined the Air Force because of her father. Still, in Secrets we saw a daughter at odds with her father. Selmac "gave him back to her" not only by curing his cancer, but by making Jacob more approachable.

[I]Apophis[/] Because, well, you never forget your first one.

Fifth Because she betrayed him, no matter who ordered her to. And because he hurt her in ways we can only guess at (or read good fic about. )

RepliCarter Because RC was Sam's evil twin, who outsmarted her and got away.

And I'm sure there are more....
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Cool! Is there a link?
            If we're thinking about the same picture there is one at Chevron 26...

Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              If we're thinking about the same picture there is one at Chevron 26...Click me!
              That's the one that I was thinking of - nice link, Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                In the DVD set, for Foothold ... end of episode ... Sam modulating the frequency and setting it up in the lab ... the Hammond alien comes in and swats her across the room ... on my DVD, something very interesting happens ... I think, right before she takes the hit from Hammond, listen carefully: doesn't she say "Colonel" as she's taken by surprise, rather than "General"? Isn't that a mistake they never edited out - maybe because AT had to take a hard fall and they didn't want to reshoot the scene?

Anyone hear this or am I sound-hallucinating?!
                Maybe you had some of that "special" blue jello. I'm pretty sure she says General.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  Good to see you Aeromathlete!
                  Good to see you, too! School's just been keeping me busy, now that I've realized that I'm a planetary scientist at heart and must design major and classes to align to such goals. LOL. Applied math, some astrophysics, some environmental engineering, and a bunch of geology and I might just be out of here in a few years. And the work looks so interesting!

So here's another example why Sam is a great character: inspiring women to pursue cool space science majors!

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                    Good to see you, too! School's just been keeping me busy, now that I've realized that I'm a planetary scientist at heart and must design major and classes to align to such goals. LOL. Applied math, some astrophysics, some environmental engineering, and a bunch of geology and I might just be out of here in a few years. And the work looks so interesting!
                    So here's another example why Sam is a great character: inspiring women to pursue cool space science majors!
                    wow! may I ask how old you are? You are doing things that I like .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

KID IN A CANDY STORE
                      As we continue to vote and comment on Season 7 episodes, I was thinking about the question posted a few pages earlier in the thread: ‘When does Sam smile… in particular, that mega-watt smile?’ and I was also mulling over a couple of comments about Sam not smiling as much in the last season (8) or so… and that she came across as more insecure in the last season (8) or so….

And I thought about this opening scene in Grace. I love this scene and how it shows Major Sam Carter. She’s walking with Colonel Ronson along the corridors of the Prometheus and they are talking about stopping for a little scientific observation of a nearby nebula while the alkesh engines cool down.

What I loved about this scene was how comfortable Carter and Ronson are with each other. They treat each other as colleagues – Ronson kids around with her a little and Sam just seems to be at ease. I loved seeing Carter interact with professional ease with colleagues outside of SG-1.

The scene also highlights Carter’s scientific enthusiasm – which hasn’t been highlighted with the same sparkle since the early seasons… ‘kid in a candy store!’

-----

audio clip for this scene

Grace opening scene: The Prometheus flies in hyperspace.
                      RONSON: So this thing's different from a nebula? How?
                      CARTER: Well that's what makes it so exciting, Sir, we don't know exactly.

RONSON: And it just so happens that this formation is in the vicinity of our next cool down co ordinates.
                      CARTER: It'll only be a little bit out of way, Colonel, I promise. All I ask is 2 hours tops.

RONSON: If only so I can see the expression on your face first hand.
                      The words kid and candy store come to mind.

CARTER: I'll try to retain my composure Sir.
                      I also loved how Sam returned his kidding with her own humor - again, this short scene came across to me as Sam interacting with ease and humor with a colleague - just a short little scene that spoke volumes about the character to me. I really hope that we get to see more of this side of Colonel Sam Carter in Season 9 - professional, comfortable with her military position, attitude tinged with humor and a pleasure with what she'd doing! We need more AT smiles!
                      Grace post 1 (#3250): opening scenes: Kid In A Candy Store
                      Grace post 2 (#3267): Concussion, waking up, first hallucinations
                      Grace post 3 (#3277): Hallucinations - some are annoying!
                      Grace post 4 (#3287): Hallucinations and Reality
                      Grace post 5 (#3306): Maybe It's Alive?
                      Grace post 6 (#3313): Who Are You?
                      Grace post 7 (#3341): Bubbles
                      The audio clip above is my first ever audio capture -- special thanks to NearlyCircular for the directions! Unfortunately, the sound quality probably isn't as good as it could be - I had to use my laptop to run the DVD and recording software as my main computer is busy with RL work!

The screen captures were also difficult as both actors were in constant motion as they walked along the corridors; consequently, the screen caps are all just a little blurry. In addition, the corridor was dimly lit (they seem to go for dramatic mood lighting a lot), which also made clear screen caps difficult to catch.
                      Photos are screen captures from the episode Grace
                      Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 08 April 2005, 05:02 PM.

Comment

AT is such a great actress. I hope when she comes back from her maternity leave TPTB give her powerful roles of leadership, the kick$$ type.

Comment

There are some days when even the most sane of us go a bit
                          wacko over something really quite simple...

This my vision of Sam having a slight case of blue jello withdrawls.

Jello Freak

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
                          Kat

Comment

KID IN A CANDY STORE
                            As we continue to vote and comment on Season 7 episodes, I was thinking about the question posted a few pages earlier in the thread: ‘When does Sam smile… in particular, that mega-watt smile?’ and I was also mulling over a couple of comments about Sam not smiling as much in the last season (8) or so… and that she came across as more insecure in the last season (8) or so….

And I thought about this opening scene in Grace. I love this scene and how it shows Major Sam Carter. She’s walking with Colonel Ronson along the corridors of the Prometheus and they are talking about stopping for a little scientific observation of a nearby nebula while the alkesh engines cool down.

What I loved about this scene was how comfortable Carter and Ronson are with each other. They treat each other as colleagues – Ronson kids around with her a little and Sam just seems to be at ease. I loved seeing Carter interact with professional ease with colleagues outside of SG-1.

The scene also highlights Carter’s scientific enthusiasm – which hasn’t been highlighted with the same sparkle since the early seasons… ‘kid in a candy store!’

I also loved how Sam returned his kidding with her own humor - again, this short scene came across to me as Sam interacting with ease and humor with a colleague - just a short little scene that spoke volumes about the character to me. I really hope that we get to see more of this side of Colonel Sam Carter in Season 9 - professional, comfortable with her military position, attitude tinged with humor and a pleasure with what she'd doing! We need more AT smiles!

The audio clip is my first ever audio capture -- special thanks to NearlyCircular for the directions! Unfortunately, the sound quality probably isn't as good as it could be - I had to use my laptop to run the DVD and recording software as my main computer is busy with RL work!

The screen captures were also difficult as both actors were in constant motion as they walked along the corridors; consequently, the screen caps are all just a little blurry. In addition, the corridor was dimly lit (they seem to go for dramatic mood lighting a lot), which also made clear screen caps difficult to catch.
                            I agree with you whole-heartedly!!! I really liked seeing Sam so excited about seeing the nebula. She really seemed as you said 'like a kid in the candy store'. I also hope we see a much more relaxed Sam this year and
                            much more of AT's smile. It doesn't matter how bad my day has been, seeing Sam/AT smiling always cheers me up.

I watched the audio commentary for Avenger 2.0 last night and the part where Martin asks AT about Sam's attraction to Felger had me in stitches. Her smile and giggle are utterly infectious.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              There are some days when even the most sane of us go a bit
                              wacko over something really quite simple...

This my vision of Sam having a slight case of blue jello withdrawls.

Jello Freak

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
                              Kat
                              ROTFLMAO!
                              Absolutely wonderful screencaps and dialogue, Kat!
                              Loved it!

Giving you blue jello for that seems a bit boring...
                              so, you may have your choice...

Comment

ROTFLMAO!
                                Absolutely wonderful screencaps and dialogue, Kat!
                                Loved it!

Giving you blue jello for that seems a bit boring...
                                so, you may have your choice...

Ya know... I've decided that AT must only agree to eat food on the set that is low in calories and less filling: jello..grapes...ect.

Considering all the food we've seen RDA, Teal'c, Jonas and Daniel eat... I don't think we've ever seen Sam eat anything fattening.

I really think we need to see a food fight episode where Teal'c smashes a piece of cake into Sam's face. The idea of seeing Teal'c do something like and the look on Sam's shocked face would be hysterical.

Sam runs her finger down the side of her face,
                                wiping off a bit of frosting and then puts it into
                                her mouth.

Sam: Mmmm chocolate...not bad.

LoL, I've read that many of the food scenes end up in a food fight on the set anyway...might as well put some of that on tape so we can enjoy the fun as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X