No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber: Hmm. I'm noticing I'm the only one so far coming up with ideas for my little game...I'm starting to feel a little unloved, as though I accidentally turned a corner and have ended up in a deep dark alley somewhere in the great Monarchy of Samanda....
    Please don’t feel unloved. I like you! This is a place full of love. Sorry I haven’t come up with anything for your game yet, it’s hard to think of anything as good as what you’ve been doing that’s all.
    Sam McGyver’s the UAV in Death Knell

Glad you had a good Birthday Choppie.
    Chopingal: BTW, how do we manage to list our birthdates in Samanda? Anyone have a good idea about this?
    Well, I intend to wade my way through the Gateworld calendar at somestage and pick out the names I recognise from Samanda. Unless everyone wants to make the job simpler for me by just posting them
    Last edited by deepspace; 16 March 2005, 03:47 AM. Reason: I have three jello blocks! :D squeeeeeeeeeals happy

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      ... I did it again. I read quickly through this post and then did a double take... read 'getting in' as 'sitting on'....

Sally, diving in to le gutter

SPLASH!!!

moves over to make room for sally's cannonball into the gutter
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

as to birthdays, y'all can list them in your profile page and they'll show up on the main gateworld page
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          I hope that they don't make Mitchell out to be like Jack... I hope they create him as his own character, with his own quirks. It would also be cool if he was married and had kids... give him a happy personal life and a personal side - and it would make him different than the original 4 of SG-1 (all single and with deaths and heartbreak in their personal lives). I agree with you, there, UberSG1Fan! Here's to hoping that they write a couple of episodes that show Carter leading the team in the field... and maybe coming to the rescue of the guys! (I can dream can't I?).
          I have to agree. I seriously hope they don't bring Mitchell in and try to make him fill Jack's shoes in terms of humor. Unfortunately what frightens me more than that is that the humor of the show is going to tend to go towards the Prometheus Unbound direction, being much more raw and physical.

I'm sure I'm just spoiled from eight years of Jack O'Neill, but as a mother of a teenager who adores Jack I felt safe having my kids watch Jack. He was simplisticly amusing, though he does have a slight issue with cussing when he's ticked off but that just makes him more human to me. However, I was actually quite embarrassed watching PU with my 13year old as neither of us had expected some of the sexual innuendos and comments. I've only felt this way one other time and that was during Chimera with Sam and Pete. Not that what was shown was bad compared to most television, but as a parent I wasn't expecting it and it came as quite a shock.

AT and CJ both have a wicked sense of humor and both Sam and Teal'c could use a bit more humor in their lives, hopefully they could allow both of them to subtly add a touch of their own sense of humor to the characters. I have to admit MS has always come across as more professional and less outwardly amusing to me, at least from what I have seen at the convention, in interviews, and on the dvd audio commentaries. I just hope they don't feel they have to bring in a completely new character who's always cracking jokes and making light of things because that would truly make me miss Jack all the more.

Anyway I'm sorry, but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think? Hehe I love this line from WoO!

Kat

Comment

I think I posted earlier in this thread on how I hope they don't try to make the new characters be humourous. I think that would, in a way, be an insult to Jack. Sam and Daniel and even Teal'c (believe it or not) can be very funny at times if they are allowed to be.
            Coming up to the season final tomorrow I am beginning to realise that I'm really not too fussed with whatever they decide to do with the series from here on. It has been a fun few years, and I think Moebius is the end of Stargate as it has been for 8 seasons. Everything from now onwards is new. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching, only that the episodes that I will always have the most fun watching are between Children of the Gods and Moebius part2. I have been watching season 2 and 3 eps lately, and they are just so good. Lively, energetic, great stories, what can I say. I love episodes with lots of Sam, but my favourite episodes with Sam are often ones where she is 'just part of the team', maybe because she works so well in a team. And I love all of SG1.
            So whatever season9 is, it is. I seriously don't mind. Anything new now is a bonus.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Ok, first of all I’m not a spy. But I found wading through the extensive Gateworld calendar (yes, I know I said I would do it sometime. Well, it turns out that half past midnight tonight is sometime ) I've found a better way of locating birthdays is to check out all you guys public profiles, and so far I’ve found a few birthdays. I’ve only gone back a few pages, I’ll do a more extensive list later, so anyone not on the list, I haven’t missed you out on purpose. For now, here’s a start:

Chopingal March 15

Agent Dark October 18

Uber June 19

Kat September 2

NC December 18

Strix February 17

Dipsofjazz August 20

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I really liked tonights episode of Battlestar Galactica, especially Starbuck. They gave her a whole new layer of humanity in this one. Yes, I now see what people were saying earlier, she's not perfect. Veeery good at what she does, and she knows it, but not perfect. And I think her admitting to making a big mistake helped her character a lot.

Sorry this is off topic of Sam.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                  I think I posted earlier in this thread on how I hope they don't try to make the new characters be humourous. I think that would, in a way, be an insult to Jack. Sam and Daniel and even Teal'c (believe it or not) can be very funny at times if they are allowed to be.
                  Coming up to the season final tomorrow I am beginning to realise that I'm really not too fussed with whatever they decide to do with the series from here on. It has been a fun few years, and I think Moebius is the end of Stargate as it has been for 8 seasons. Everything from now onwards is new. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching, only that the episodes that I will always have the most fun watching are between Children of the Gods and Moebius part2. I have been watching season 2 and 3 eps lately, and they are just so good. Lively, energetic, great stories, what can I say. I love episodes with lots of Sam, but my favourite episodes with Sam are often ones where she is 'just part of the team', maybe because she works so well in a team. And I love all of SG1.
                  So whatever season9 is, it is. I seriously don't mind. Anything new now is a bonus.
                  I agree with the "don't make the new characters humorous" line of thought, but for other reasons. Not only would it miff the Jack character a bit, but think back to recent seasons. Humor has backfired, in my opinion. We've had this "glossed-over" SG-1, sort of since it moved to the SCI-FI channel, and it sort lacks the Showtime gritty feel that it used to have. This has been good in a lot of aspects, but not so much in others. Too much humor + too much gloss makes us lose the gravity of the show. Frankly, my favorite recent episodes have been
                  Spoiler:
                  things like Threads, the Lost City, Heroes Pt II and so on
                  which have been really serious episodes. It's not because I don't appreciate humor, its just that the delivery has been off as late. So for better quality, let's bring on the seriousness.

That said, I came in here with the purpose of reiterating the coolness that is Sam Carter. Kudos to her character that has served us so well over the years, and here's to hoping they give her a deserving storyline in Season 9.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Sorry - I can't right now...I'm too busy working on "Eclipse," the follow up to "The Darker Side of Night" and if I don't finish soon, I'll have a lot of angry gaters at me!

For all you Sam fans out there that love seeing her get in a predicament (okay that's really an understatement there), give it a read, would ya?!?? And give a creative writer some feedback...

For those of you who are not into the whole J/S thing (that's fine, I love you too ya know), you won't like the first 15 pages or so but it sets up the rest of the story...so read it anyway and pretend you think Sam and Jack have genuine feelings for each other... The premise of the story's in my signature as a spoiler...

This ends the *Shameless Self Promotion* portion of the evening...
                    Hi Uber ... I've printed and read the main story and it's great ... you cover a lot of ground, UST, RST, future arc or "what if", and serious Sam whumpage ... gosh, I'm out of breath just thinking about it! Good luck on the next part of the cliffhanger ... let us know when it's up!

Comment

Hmm. I'm noticing I'm the only one so far coming up with ideas for my little game...I'm starting to feel a little unloved, as though I accidentally turned a corner and have ended up in a deep dark alley somewhere in the great Monarchy of Samanda....

But I will progress with my game. By myself. With no one coming up with questions on their own.

- Provide examples from and name the episodes where Sam gets flustered, either professionally or personally.

Aw, Kat, don't feel alone. It's just that Samanda has become so big and busy. Personally, I've just been skimming the posts as RL permits. I do read and follow your posts - and everyone elses, too. Blanket kudos and appreciation for all the comments, pics, sound bites, tips, humor and affection to everyone here, okay?

Now, on to Flustered Sam, Season One:

COTG: "I think I'm gonna be sick."

Broca Divide: " About my earlier behavior... I wasn't myself, and--"
                      Jack teases her about the tank top and Sam stops in her tracks. Her face drops, and she gives that rueful smile.

First Commandment: Sam couldn't pull the trigger against her former fiancee.

Torment of Tantalus: Sam sees Ernest, al fresco. "Oh boy!"

Bloodlines: Bratac reacts to seeing Sam among the so-called warriors of the Tauri: "You, you are among the warriors who defeated the palace guard at Chulak? A human woman?"

"Hey," Sam protests. "I'll have you know I kicked my…" Bratac walks away as though she hadn't spoken.

Depending on our definition of flustered there's no doubt more, just in season one, but RL calls.
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Episodes in which Sam cries:
                        Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Need
                        Legacy
                        Singularity
                        Heroes
                        New Order
                        Fire and Water
                        Paradise Lost
                        Secrets
                        Grace
                        POV (though not our Sam)
                        Threads
                        Meridian

11 out of 160+ episodes over a period of eight years?
                        I think that's actually pretty miniscule. In every one of these
                        cases someone has died, was dying, missing, or she was
                        being tortured. I don't see how anyone can think of Sam
                        as being weak for showing signs of loss, empathy, and
                        compassion. Personally for me, it's what makes Sam so
                        real and likeable.

Ok, here's my entry to the question game...
                        Name all the episodes in which Sam gives (as it's known in
                        the fanfic world) her mega-watt or kilo-watt smile.

Sadly, they have been very rare over the past few years.
                        I really miss seeing a happy Sam.
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 16 March 2005, 05:57 AM.

Comment

You nailed it....And isn't it interesting that some of her best moments are when she's not the superhero/super scientist? It's when she's vulnerable and out of her element? When we get to see the sides of Sam that isn't in control and doesn't have the answers?
                          I was watching the commentary on Avenger 2.0 last night, and Amanda made a comment to the effect that the actors always like it when their characters "don't win," when they don't have the answers, and things are out of control and don't go their way. I think AT really enjoys it when a script challenges her talents.

Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            Does anyone have a pic of this pic?
                            Sally
                            I couldn't get a real clear picture of it but here she is as a ten month old. Though to be honest I'm not sure which one she is... lol.

Comment

Well after finding that picture of AT in Ascension, I found myself immersed in the show yet again and suddenly in the mood to play with some pictures... so hope you like.

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/8452/ascension5dm.jpg

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Well after finding that picture of AT in Ascension, I found myself immersed in the show yet again and suddenly in the mood to play with some pictures... so hope you like.

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/8452/ascension5dm.jpg

Kat
                                You are getting *so* good at this! Another great job!

Comment

Working...
                                X