Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    *Great* screencaps... and I love your 'humorous TV Guide-style synopsis...Our poor Sammie meets up with a fairly perturbed Hathor, who warms up her ribbon of agony and zaps our intrepid heroine in the head. Fortunately, Jackcicle comes to the rescue...but not in time to help our beloved queen, who's temporarily down for the count. Just ROTFL!
    I DEFY you to find in any TV Guide a description for any SG-1 episode where the word "Jackcicle" is used...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Another one:

Name the episodes in which Sam engages in hand to hand combat...no guns!

Name the episodes where she uses weapons other than her faithful P90...

And this one may be a bit of a trick question (because I can only think of 1 instance) - name the episodes where Sam addresses General Hammond as something other than General, General Hammond or Sir...)
      Hand-to-Hand -
      Emancipation,
      The Other Side (she puts one of the guards on the floor before drawing her weapon),
      Homecoming (takes down two! Jaffa in melee combat! ),
      Endgame (Go Sam! Kicks the bad guys arse with her hands tied behind her back. No Hand Combat ),
      I think she drops a guard with a swift kick in The Devil You Know, when they're escaping the cell.

Other Weapons -
      MP-5 up untill 'The First Ones' (where they switched to the P-90)
      M4A1 Carbine in Hathor (Though she didnt actually fire it),
      AT-4 Anti-Tank Weapon in the battle sequence at the start of 'Forever in a Day),
      Zats and Beretta M9's (lots of episodes),
      The 'Carter Special' (the weapon they MacGyvered for her during Season7 because they ran out of P-90 shell casings),
      Claymores,
      C4 plastique explosive,
      The Bedrosian Energy Rifle in New Ground
      Tranquilizer Darts in Hathor and The Broca Divide.

Hmm thats all I can think of atm...

And for the last question - 1969? She calls him Lieutenant... It's the only one I can think of lol

Comment

Uber: I DEFY you to find in any TV Guide a description for any SG-1 episode where the word "Jackcicle" is used...
        or 'our poor sammie'
        ROFLOL! Your description was funny though.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Other Weapons -
          AT-4 Anti-Tank Weapon in the battle sequence at the start of 'Forever in a Day),
          The 'Carter Special' (the weapon they MacGyvered for her during Season7 because they ran out of P-90 shell casings),
          Claymores,
          C4 plastique explosive,
          TER in Fair Game?

And Goa'uld ribbon device in Seth?

Comment

TER in Fair Game?

Doh! Forgot those two...
            The UCAV in Death Knell could count as another I suppose
            Edit: Crap also forgot about the M67 frag grenade she uses in that episode with the Reetou (can't quite remember the name of it...)

Comment

Noteworthy Sam moments in non Sam-centric episodes (Season 7)

Homecoming: She pulls the ambassador down when the firefight starts in the storeroom. Our Sam--always looking out for the civilians. And she holds her own in the fight with Jaffa later & tackles the Jaffa leader. Good one Sam!

Orpheus: Sam talking about the SF movie she's seen where they act completely unrealistically. "What was their weakness? Water." I love her tone and expression on that "Water."

Revisions: She almost loses her temper arguing with the scientist about the computer link. She is so frustrated!

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me info on torture scenes for Sam...
                I really really REALLY appreciate it. This idea came to me this morning and since it was Chopingal's birthday I thought I'd make it for her...but I hope you all enjoy it!

Here's a direct link to bigger version
                http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6134/thelight25xr.jpg
                I think I like this version better.
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 15 March 2005, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Other Weapons -
                  Claymores,
                  C4 plastique explosive,
                  TER in Fair Game?
                  the M67 frag grenade she uses in that episode with the Reetou (can't quite remember the name of it...)
                  The UCAV in Death Knell could count as another I suppose

Does a Stargate count as a weapon when you use it to blow up a sun?

(in the first panel, the small circle is the falling Stargate)
                  Last edited by astrogeologist; 15 March 2005, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me info on torture scenes for Sam...
                    I really really REALLY appreciate it. This idea came to me this morning and since it was Chopingal's birthday I thought I'd make it for her...but I hope you all enjoy it!
                    WOW! (And OW!) Makes me want to ((((((Sam))))))
                    Great Sam-montage, Kat!
                    Both you and Sam deserve a blue jello break!

Last edited by astrogeologist; 15 March 2005, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Hand-to-Hand -
                      Emancipation,
                      The Other Side (she puts one of the guards on the floor before drawing her weapon),
                      Homecoming (takes down two! Jaffa in melee combat! ),
                      Endgame (Go Sam! Kicks the bad guys arse with her hands tied behind her back. No Hand Combat ),
                      I think she drops a guard with a swift kick in The Devil You Know, when they're escaping the cell.

Other Weapons -
                      Claymores,
                      C4 plastique explosive,

Hmm thats all I can think of atm...

And for the last question - 1969? She calls him Lieutenant... It's the only one I can think of lol
                      What about 1st Commandment when she decked that wayward SG guy who was picking on a poor local

Sam: "Well, that was refreshing."

Didn't she use a different type of gun in Avenger 2.0?

And yes 1969 is the only time I can think of too...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

More birthday wishes for ChopinGal!!

(thanks for the picture, astrog)

Make a wish! And for the rest of you, help yourself.

She's how old?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                          More birthday wishes for ChopinGal!!
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...yChopinGal.jpg
                          Make a wish! And for the rest of you, help yourself.

She's how old?
                          *Great* audio clips, NC! And I *love* your added pic (Sam looks stunned) and caption! ROTFLOL!

Comment

Hey Kat! Now I see what you were doing. Wow! How do you get the edges of photos to blur into each other?
                            Attached Files

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

in photoshop, when you cut stuff out, you can 'feather' the edges, make them transparent and fuzzy

you can also erase the edges with a nice soft eraser, which makes them blend easier

here's some walls i've made
                              http://www.jackfic.com/multimedia/po...nise/index.htm
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a while because when I first read it, my initial reaction was to disagree. After chewing it over a little, I realized that you were right; there haven't been a lot of strong female scifi/fantasy leads until fairly recently (Captain Janeway, Dana Scully, Buffy, Xena, etc.)... on TV and in the movies, and even such flicks as Red Sonya suffer from the "Alien Sluts" costume issue. But I guess I was coming at it from a slightly different perspective since I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy, and I've always actively sought strong heroines in print (not to imply that nobody else reads, of course).

In books, there are (and have been for many years) a lot of strong, competent women who are treated as equals to the men. I guess I never thought of Sam Carter as being particularly unique in that respect. A wonderful, female character, yes; unusual in her brilliance, yes; extremely well portrayed, yes; but not the only woman to ever be treated as a competent *person* as opposed to the "I-need-to-be-rescued-by-a-man" classic female character. I enjoyed Voyager a lot, and Captain Janeway was never treated as anything but a competent leader.

I was trying to come up with other *blondes* (the ultimate ditzy female stereotype) who might be considered competent, and Buffy and Tasha Yar came to mind, as well as several from print, such as Paksinarrion from Elizabeth Moon's wonderful books and Lessa from Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels. So even Sam being blonde and competent is not entirely unique.

For my part, I think I latched on to Sam as one of my favorite characters (on TV or in print) because she is unique in her combination of brilliant scientist/soldier as portrayed in a modern day American woman. She's not an alien (like several of Star Trek's strong women); she's not living in the future (or some mythological past, aka Xena); and she's not living on some wildly different fictional world or universe, even if she gets to visit them on a routine basis. She literally could be "the girl next door" (part of Buffy's appeal), but, oh my, what a special person she is. I agree that AT's portrayal of the character is a huge part of Sam's appeal, but I also give a lot of credit to the writers and directors for giving AT good material to work with.

Which really isn't so different from what other people have been saying, but perhaps with my own little spin...

Hugs,
                                Strix
                                You're right that there have been quite a few strong women in science fiction books for some time, and you noted one of my favorite authors in that regard, Elizabeth Moon. And it's been those kinds of books that have sustained me over the years in feeding my "fix."

But very few characters on tv have met the same standards, so until Sam, I had to be satisfied with the one or two episodes out of an entire series when a female character actually was allowed to take an active role. Janeway was an exception, as was Kira on DS9. I think that I prefer Sam because she's a contemporary character, she's realistic, and because she's one of only four main characters instead of one of 6 or 7. And let's face it, RDA and TPTB are unusual in allowing for very balanced screen time and involvement for all 4 characters, so we get to see a lot of Sam in action.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X