Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    lol, see the trick is to fly to Australia, celebrate your birthday here, then fly back to the States and celebrate it again

Hmmm I wonder how many candles...

That's a great idea ... where's that private Lear jet when I need it?!

Thank you and deepspace for the good wishes! Cake ... yes, we must have cake and blue jello!

As to candles on the cake ... sweetie, I'd have to have the local fire department hangin' around just in case the whole thing goes up in blazes.
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 15 March 2005, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Today is Amanda's official due date!

And, now that the cat's out of the bag, since it's my B-Day too ... you all know what I'm wishing for.

Come on Carter ... get it going ... a little girl on Jester's birthday would be the perfect B-Day gift!
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 15 March 2005, 03:32 AM.

Comment

UberSG1-Fan, thank you for including the link to THE DARKER SIDE OF NIGHT, a very wonderful story with lots of Sam whumping. However, it is a cruel, cruel story to leave us hanging so....

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Today is Amanda's official due date!

And, now that the cat's out of the bag, since it's my B-Day too ... you all know what I'm wishing for.
          Happy Birthday!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Its from Fallen right? Where Sam's just given her 'Star Wars' breifing and O'Neill tells her how crazy the plan is and she asks him wether its more crazy than blowing up a sun or riding and asteroid through the earth.
            Yep you nailed it!! The picture is taken right in the middle of her saying 'Crazier than blowing up the sun?' A big ole bowl of blue jello for AD! (ooh and my 4yr old thinks I should add sprinkles, because EVERTHING tastes better with sprinkles)

Kat

EDIT: DRAT DRAT DRAT! I just spent 20 minutes responding to a half dozen posts trying to put them all into one post and while I'm previewing it I accidently hit the back button somehow and the darn thing was erased!! Arg. I don't know how you guys do it.

Kat does her best geeky Sam impersonation 'I'm...I was...almost done...Good Job!!" and gives everyone two thumbs up!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOPINGAL!!!
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 15 March 2005, 08:25 AM.

Comment

My dearest Jolly Jester,
              I just wanted check that you are still ok for the cough crochet cough party we had planned for tonight? The large couldren of cough Horlicks cough is warming up nicely. We also have the cough period drama cough DVD's that you requested. The Wise Elder and myself eagerly await your attendance.

Hope you liked the fur lined booties that you requested as your present. I trust the little zip up the middle makes it easier for you to slip them on over those bunnions!

The flame keeper has kindly lent her flame keeping equipment and one large butane gas cannister to light the candles. We have one firemans hose on standby if the need arises!!!!

Yours in anticipation

Royal Accountant

(in other words - get your ass over here pronto)!!
              Last edited by Coley; 15 March 2005, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I hope everybody doesn't think I'm just flippant at the moment! I have got way behind with the posts and am struggling to catch up. I have seen some really interesting comments and have skimmed the last few pages of posts and know there is a lot to respond to. I want to make serious and considered responses to all the fantastic posts and this will take time. Posting up the funnies is easy and just my way of keeping in touch!

Be back with you soon hopefully

You have a great day ChopinGal!!

Comment

Okay here's a new SAM game (if you all want to play):

List the episodes where:

- Sam loses her temper

- Sam referred to Jack by his first name

- Sam kisses or is kissed by someone (romantically or otherwise)

- Sam eats blue jello (or also, Sam eats something other than blue jello)

- Sam blows something up with a Naquadah bomb

Feel free to use any multimedia tools such as graphics or sound or whatever! And come up with some ideas of your own...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    My dearest Jolly Jester,
                    I just wanted check that you are still ok for the cough crochet cough party we had planned for tonight? The large couldren of cough Horlicks cough is warming up nicely. We also have the cough period drama cough DVD's that you requested. The Wise Elder and myself eagerly await your attendance.

Hope you liked the fur lined booties that you requested as your present. I trust the little zip up the middle makes it easier for you to slip them on over those bunnions!

The flame keeper has kindly lent her flame keeping equipment and one large butane gas cannister to light the candles. We have one firemans hose on standby if the need arises!!!!

Yours in anticipation
                    Royal Accountant

(in other words - get your ass over here pronto)!!
                    Coley: (Shouting) ChopinGal?! I'm not imagining it, I mean she WAS here ... was she not?
                    AstroG: (shrugging) Yeah! For almost the entire time she was opening her presents.
                    Coley: (Shouting) ChopinGal!?
                    ChopinGal: (With attitude) WHAT?! (She comes storming in brushing her hair.)
                    Coley: I thought you were wearing the top that AstroG bought you.
                    ChopinGal: (Wearing a tight fitting, yellow tank top type shirt) Oh! Well, that's for school.
                    <<Transcriber's editorializing: I guess AstroG bought her a shirt that covers her body >>
                    AstroG: Hey! (Clears throat) Make a wish! (click to hear NC's audio clip )
                    Coley: Yeah.
                    ChopinGal: Murray's waiting!

Coley: Fine! Invite him in ... (Pointed) I'm sure he'd like to have a piece of Birthday Cake
                    that AstroG went _to_all_the_trouble_to ... bake.

AstroG: (Softly, under her breath to Coley) Photoshop.
                    Coley: (Loudly, pointed) Bring! - (click to hear NC's audio clip )
                    AstroG: (Cheerfully) I'd love to meet him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
                    CHOPINGAL!

Cake and Blue Jello All Around!

Seen participating in the royal festivities: MajorSal, Skydiver, NearlyCircular, AgentDark, MajorSam, ForeverSG1 , Deepspace, Chocdoc, TokraHostess, DancerofSpaz, Fred, JckFan55, Hrh, UberSG1Fan, StrixVaria, Tara3583, JonasQuinn (who was seen riding the Queen's motorcycle...), Aeromathlete (who has been absent from the SaGC for awhile), Coley, AstroG, ChopinGal ... and many many others who quietly enjoy the SaGC without speaking up much... (apologies to anyone whose name I missed)
                    Lots of cake and blue jello to go around!

And everything was great and wonderful... until Chopingal and Murray kissed... and then the generator blew out and the Stargate shortcircuited... and the assembled guests were left in the dark!

So... I was making screencaps from Rite of Passage in honor of ChopinGal's birthday and then I read Coley's post... and this was just too good an opportunity to pass up... I love that little interchange where Janet says that Sam went to all the trouble to bake this cake... but Sam has to be honest and admit that she bought it... but Janet has to maintain her position, so she grudingly changes it to 'bring'... just LOL too funny! And then for it to fit so well following Coley's post to ChopinGal... it was just begging for a few names to be switched around! Fun!

Here's the original, unaltered, piece of the transcript from Rite of Passage:
                    We begin with a lovely rectangle shaped cake (Looks chocolate ) with white icing, and the words"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CASSANDRA" written on it. A woman (Nail polish ) is lighting the last of 16 candles. Camera pans out ... it's Janet with Sam right next to her.
                    JANET: (Shouting) Cassandra?! I'm not imagining it, I mean she WAS here ... was she not?
                    SAM: (Sarcastically) Yeah! For almost the entire time she was opening her presents.
                    JANET: (Shouting) Cassie!?
                    CASSIE: (With attitude) WHAT?! (She comes storming in brushing her hair.)
                    JANET: I thought you were wearing the top that Sam bought you.
                    CASSIE: (Wearing a tight fitting, yellow tank top type shirt) Oh! Well, that's for school. <<I guess Sam bought her a shirt that covers her body >>
                    SAM: Hey! (Clears throat) Make a wish!
                    JANET: Yeah.
                    CASSIE: Dominique's waiting.
                    JANET: Fine! Invite him in ... (Pointed) I'm sure he'd like to have a piece of Birthday Cake that Sam went _to_all_the_trouble_to ... bake.
                    SAM: (Softly, under her breath to Janet) Buy.
                    JANET: (Loudly, pointed) Bring!
                    SAM: (Cheerfully) I'd love to meet him.
                    Photos are screen caps from the episode Rite of Passage
                    Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 15 March 2005, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Astrogeologist: ROTFLMAO! Deepspace - this was hilarious! And so in character for the denizens of the SaGC!
                      Definitely worthy of some royal blue jello!
                      First - you must continue this story (I'm not going to try, because I can not do justice to what you have started - and I love your writing style!). Second - you should write a fanfic (not about the SaGC, but about SG-1) - you write well and you would undoubtedly go a great job of writing Sam, Jack, Daniel, Teal'c and the rest.
                      Oh gee, I wasn’t expecting someone to actually like it and want me to continue with it. Ok, give me a day or so. This is the first time I’ve written a story just for the fun of it since I was 14. And me write fanfic?! I had never even thought about it. Oh boy. *hides behind the Samandan curtains*. That is for all you brilliances here to do.

Am off now to download and archive your wonderful comments from Season 7.
                      They have to be the laziest bunch of comments I’ve ever written here

Thanks for all the green rep jello people. Something very bizzare has happened though. I have blue jello for real. It's a pale blue like THIS, but it's there, in my gateworld rep page. It's only one little square, but it's different. I do not understand.

It would seem we have a new photo attacking monster! Thankyou to NC's mutt, who has provided us with a much more helpful picture of the Wise Elder (who, in that photo, even with no face, does not look nearly as old as I was lead to believe.)

Agent Dark, I think you said somewhere that you're doing uni. Can I ask what subjects?

Kat: DRAT DRAT DRAT! I just spent 20 minutes responding to a half dozen posts trying to put them all into one post and while I'm previewing it I accidently hit the back button somehow and the darn thing was erased!! Arg. I don't know how you guys do it.
                      Try cutting and pasting stuff and writing in a Microsoft Word document first. You don’t have to save it, but it means you don’t lose it if you hit the back button.

Coley: I hope everybody doesn't think I'm just flippant at the moment! I have got way behind with the posts and am struggling to catch up. I have seen some really interesting comments and have skimmed the last few pages of posts and know there is a lot to respond to. I want to make serious and considered responses to all the fantastic posts and this will take time. Posting up the funnies is easy and just my way of keeping in touch!
                      Be back with you soon hopefully
                      Not at all, I love reading all your posts and eagerly await more. I know what it's like to catch up, especially if like me you always want to do it properly reading every post.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

After more than 3 decades of scifi, I was used to seeing the male macho lead who is also smart and sexy and solves almost all of the galactic problems... is never wrong (in the end) and has heroic scenes in every episode. And the female characters are usually not-so-heroic... wrong quite often (because it's the male lead who gets to be right)... not nearly as strong in character, and, of course, dressed in something sexy all the time... skin tight 'uniforms' (catsuits) or something in leather that leaves lots of skin exposed and looks like it belongs on a movie set for the Amazons or 'Invasion of the Alien Sluts'.

And then there was Sam Carter. Wow! Did they do a good job with her character or what? Yes, there were still lots of things written in the classic fashion for the female character (like when she stupidly stands up to get shot in The Nox)... but there were so many moments where they 'broke the mold' that I was willing to let the more standard stuff slide (just wince and hope its over soon).

It didn't take long for me to get onto Amazon.com and buy the DVDs (trying to catch the shows in syndication on independent stations is frustrating). When I got to see Season 1 in its entirety (and in order), I winced at the 'reproductive organ' lines... and at the scenes in Emancipation, Broca Divide and Hathor and such... but then I was completely in awe of how well they wrote other scenes for this female scific lead. Singularity was simply fantastic. Seasons 2 and 3 were also wonderful - and I think what struck me was what chocdoc or deepspace said awhile back on our thread -- Sam was being treated as an equal amongst the scifi hero leads. She was getting 'equal screen time'... what seemed to be an equal amount of large heroic scenes... and, quite frankly, I was blown away and it put a great big grin on my face!
                        Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a while because when I first read it, my initial reaction was to disagree. After chewing it over a little, I realized that you were right; there haven't been a lot of strong female scifi/fantasy leads until fairly recently (Captain Janeway, Dana Scully, Buffy, Xena, etc.)... on TV and in the movies, and even such flicks as Red Sonya suffer from the "Alien Sluts" costume issue. But I guess I was coming at it from a slightly different perspective since I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy, and I've always actively sought strong heroines in print (not to imply that nobody else reads, of course).

In books, there are (and have been for many years) a lot of strong, competent women who are treated as equals to the men. I guess I never thought of Sam Carter as being particularly unique in that respect. A wonderful, female character, yes; unusual in her brilliance, yes; extremely well portrayed, yes; but not the only woman to ever be treated as a competent *person* as opposed to the "I-need-to-be-rescued-by-a-man" classic female character. I enjoyed Voyager a lot, and Captain Janeway was never treated as anything but a competent leader.

I was trying to come up with other *blondes* (the ultimate ditzy female stereotype) who might be considered competent, and Buffy and Tasha Yar came to mind, as well as several from print, such as Paksinarrion from Elizabeth Moon's wonderful books and Lessa from Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels. So even Sam being blonde and competent is not entirely unique.

For my part, I think I latched on to Sam as one of my favorite characters (on TV or in print) because she is unique in her combination of brilliant scientist/soldier as portrayed in a modern day American woman. She's not an alien (like several of Star Trek's strong women); she's not living in the future (or some mythological past, aka Xena); and she's not living on some wildly different fictional world or universe, even if she gets to visit them on a routine basis. She literally could be "the girl next door" (part of Buffy's appeal), but, oh my, what a special person she is. I agree that AT's portrayal of the character is a huge part of Sam's appeal, but I also give a lot of credit to the writers and directors for giving AT good material to work with.

Which really isn't so different from what other people have been saying, but perhaps with my own little spin...

Hugs,
                        Strix
                        Last edited by Strix varia; 15 March 2005, 12:34 PM.

My LJ

Comment

I need everyone's help... I need to find some episodes where Sam is being tortured with either a pain stick or a ribbon device. I'm drawing a blank on episode names for some reason and I REALLY need to find a picture.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            I need everyone's help... I need to find some episodes where Sam is being tortured with either a pain stick or a ribbon device. I'm drawing a blank on episode names for some reason and I REALLY need to find a picture.

Kat
                            Pain stick:
                            Absolute Power

Jolinar's Memories (although it's really Jolinar)

Ribbon device: Revelations (Osiris)

Comment

StrixVaria: Paksinarrion from Elizabeth Moon's wonderful books
                              I have been reading the first one!!!

Strix: For my part, I think I latched on to Sam as one of my favorite characters (on TV or in print) because she is unique in her combination of brilliant scientist/soldier as portrayed in a modern day American woman. She's not an alien (like several of Star Trek's strong women); she's not living in the future (or some mythological past, aka Xena); and she's not living on some wildly different fictional world or universe, even if she gets to visit them on a routine basis. She literally could be "the girl next door" (part of Buffy's appeal), but, oh my, what a special person she is. I agree that AT's portrayal of the character is a huge part of Sam's appeal, but I also give a lot of credit to the writers and directors for giving AT good material to work with.
                              I like the way you wrote this. And yes, the appeal of Sam for me is that she is a human, she lives on Earth, in the current time, and she does great things!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Kat: I need everyone's help... I need to find some episodes where Sam is being tortured with either a pain stick or a ribbon device. I'm drawing a blank on episode names for some reason and I REALLY need to find a picture.
                                can I ask what it's for? Kat is in a Sam Torture mood?

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X