Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    This was loads of fun NC! Please post more if you make them!

clip 1 -- My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Emancipation!

clip 2 - My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Children of the Gods?

clip 3 - My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Hathor!

clip 4 - My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Emancipation!

clip 5 - My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Solitudes

clip 6 - My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Hathor!
    Congratulations! You got them all! Help yourself to a big heaping serving of blue jello!

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      I've only seen most of these episodes once, so I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of good stuff (and probably not remembering others correctly), but here are my season seven favorites as I recall them:
      Great post Strix! I downloaded your Season 7 comments and added them to the growing Season 7 summary list!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        Here's a new game, and I fear this first round will be far too easy for you knowledgeable Samandans.

Guess the episode associated with the clip. Hint: these are all from the first season.

clip 1
        Spoiler:
        emancipation

clip 2
        Spoiler:
        COTG

clip 3
        Spoiler:
        Hathor

clip 4
        Spoiler:
        emancipation

clip 5
        Spoiler:
        Solitudes

clip 6
        Spoiler:
        Hathor

NC
        Hehe, I like this new game!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          Congratulations! You got them all! Help yourself to a big heaping serving of blue jello!

NC
          Oh man, I want blue Jello! That was fun (even though I never participated or read it before now. Do it again!
          Oh, for cryin out loud! Not another StarGate fan.

Now recruiting: http://s9.invisionfree.com/StarGate_XTreme/index.php

"And you felt it absolutly necessary - to REALLY slap me?"

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            I've only seen most of these episodes once, so I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of good stuff (and probably not remembering others correctly), but here are my season seven favorites as I recall them:

Fallen: I loved the scene between Sam and Daniel when Daniel sort of asks Sam if they'd been involved. AT did such a great job acting; it seemed like a bunch of emotions flitted across her face before and during her reply to him. I thought it was very moving.

Homecoming: Why am I remembering Sam being stuck in a basement through this entire episode? And some kind of fight at the end...

Fragile Balance: I had read a lot of negative posts about the scene where young Jack takes over the pilot briefing from Sam before I actually saw it. I think if I had seen without that prior influence, I probably wouldn't have been bothered by it neary as much because it seemed to me that the writers were playing up Jack rather than putting down Sam. What I did appreciate, however, was how Sam gave young Jack the respect and courtesy deserving of his rank. I thought she behaved very professionally.

Orpheus: Sam in a sweaty tank top...! Woohoo!

Revisions: It's interesting (to me, anyway) that I remember absolutely nothing about this episode.

Lifeboat: When Sam wakes up in the infirmary, she says, "Janet," even before she opens her eyes. It just speaks volumes about Sam's relationship with Janet. (There's a short story in there, somewhere, I think.)

Enemy Mine: Drawing a blank, here, too.

Space Race: I never have completely bought into the adrenaline junky Sam personna, but I really liked the was she got into the plans and diagrams... scientist Sam was right on the mark. The end scene with Sam and Daniel back on base; I don't remember exactly what their exchange was, but I remember really liking it. (How's that for being vague?).

Avenger 2.0: Asinine Felger fantasies aside, I really enjoyed this episode. I really liked the way Sam stood up for Felger when everyone else was ready to give up on him. Sam has had a habit of doing that throughout the series (she helped Hailey at the Academy, she argued with Jack over the value of the recruits [Elliot?] in Proving Ground, etc.), and I thought it was a nice touch by the writers to have her being a champion for someone again. There was a scene on a bridge with Felger that I thought was especially touching (compassionate Sam at her best), and the final battle on Baal's (?) planet was awesome. Soldier Sam in action!

Birthright: Amazons! Nice to see Sam's counterparts in Jaffa society.

Evolution 1 & 2: I was glad to see Sam in command, and I thought she did a good job in that roll. I did, however, think her getting smacked by the Super Soldier at the end was pretty lame. Whumping is good, but she just *stood* there (bad writing/directing). (Oh, wait, this is supposed to be about my *favorite* parts, isn't it?)

Grace: I loved this episode. It's probably one of my favorites. I thought AT did a fantastic job; her confusion/suffering from the effects of the concussion was totally believable. I think the writers could have done a better job with parts of the storyline (Ummmm...why did the crew abandon ship in the escape pods?), but I loved getting a glimpse into Sam's subconscious mind.

Fallout: I remember liking this, but no Sam scenes immediately stand out in my mind.

Chimera: My jaw hit the floor during the hot and heavy panting scene in the bedroom. Where on earth did *that* come from???? I thought the "hum-worthy" scene with Jack and Sam in the elevator was very amusing. I didn't have a problem with Pete running the background check but had conniptions about him crashing the stakeout. All in all, I liked the exploration into Sam's personal life, and I thought AT did a good job considering what she was given by the writers.

Death Knell: Loved all the Sam scenes! Whumping! Shooting off rockets! Hurt/Comfort! And my heart almost stopped when she told Jack, "Just give me a minute," at the end. OMG. We haven't been shown many (if any) other scenes of Sam being completely at the end of her endurance like that.

Heroes 1 & 2: In Heroes 1, I howled when she abruptly stopped her science-speak and said something like, "and steam comes out and everything." It was perfect. Of course, AT was brilliant in Heroes 2 after Janet's death. The scene with Teal'c was heartbreaking, and I thought the scene with Jack in the infirmary was totally believable. I could just see how conflicted Sam was... grieving for Janet, yet at the same time so grateful that Jack survived. It would be overwhelming.

Ressurection: I didn't care for this story very much, but I thought AT did a good job directing. I think there was a scene between her and agent Barrett (????), where he asks her on a date or something, and she tells him that she's already seeing someone. AT played it in such a way that made me think that Sam was sort of surprised by both the question and by her own answer... like... after all these years of being single, suddenly *two* guys are asking me out?

Inauguration: I don't remember there being any original Sam material in there, was there?

Lost City: While there were many things about this episode that I really loved, it was also the beginning of the "insecure Sam" that we saw so often in season 8. It was perfect when Sam told Jack something like, "I should have taken the download." That was so in character. There was lots of action in this one, and Sam held her own. I laughed when she gave the order to Jack.

Sorry these are a little vague... my memory isn't the greatest.
            Great Comments! I find it interesting that most people seem to draw a blank on the same episodes. I think in my spare time I may look through the ratings lists of episodes and find out whose writing the least memorable episodes. I am a bit curious if it's a particular writer or if they all just sort of have a brain flub every once in awhile.

Kat ( sorry I'm getting tired writing out ForeverSG1 )

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Great Comments! I find it interesting that most people seem to draw a blank on the same episodes. I think in my spare time I may look through the ratings lists of episodes and find out whose writing the least memorable episodes. I am a bit curious if it's a particular writer or if they all just sort of have a brain flub every once in awhile.

Good idea Kat! If you want to save some time, I posted a list of the writers from seasons 6-8, and you can find it here. It's post #2566. I'm going to go there now and see if there is a pattern for the blah Sam episodes. BTW, give yourself some blue jello, too. You got all the clips right!

NC

Comment

Just popped in to lol at everyone's posts this morning (well morning over where I am )

And completely off topic but... I just realized I spent the entire morning at uni with my fly undone! I can't believe no-one noticed - or maybe they did... O.o

Umm anyway, keep up the great posting!

Comment

LOl

well, i'd draw a blank on enemy mine too....sam as in it for one scene that lasted about 20 seconds

I have noticed that the more episodes we get, the harder it is to keep track of who does what where
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    LOl

well, i'd draw a blank on enemy mine too....sam as in it for one scene that lasted about 20 seconds

I have noticed that the more episodes we get, the harder it is to keep track of who does what where
                    Alright folks. It is time. I have a major confession to make.

For many years now, my favorite Stargate character was Jack O'Neill. I loved his wit, his charm, those arms (whoops, starting to veer off course there). Needless to say, I loved everything about the guy. Super character, sexy, strong and authoritative. And funny. I meant to say funny. (Did I say funny?) Sam was a good character, interesting, clever etc. but Jack was THE character I chose as my favorite.

Even after getting started on this forum and began posting on this thread...it was still Jack first, with Sam at a close second.

Well, I came to a realization recently. It happened as I was going through screen caps and sound bytes and video clips. I'm not sure of the exact moment it dawned on me...but I realized that Sam has somehow become my favorite character.

Maybe it's because of RDA's limited schedule. Because we didn't see him on screen as much as we did in the past, we got to see more of Sam and learned more about what makes her tick. It's funny because many of the episodes people dislike because they perceive that Sam seems weak or whatever are the very episodes that drew me closer to her as a character.

She was no longer an out of reach super scientist who blew up suns. She became a "real" person, with failings, doubts and frailties - this I can identify with.

So perhaps I should thank RDA for his limited time on screen because it gave me a chance to get to know Sam, and to feel that, were she a real person, she and I could relate to each other as friends. We could discuss the difficulties we both have at expressing feelings for a guy we care about, our concern that we don't always live up to the expectations of others and the problems associated with designing a more stable Naquadriah FTL drive (that one's been a problem for me lately).

So thank you, Richard Dean Anderson, for giving me the opportunity to really get to know - and love - Samantha Carter.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

For many years now, my favorite Stargate character was Jack O'Neill. I loved his wit, his charm, those arms (whoops, starting to veer off course there). Needless to say, I loved everything about the guy. Super character, sexy, strong and authoritative. And funny. I meant to say funny. (Did I say funny?) Sam was a good character, interesting, clever etc. but Jack was THE character I chose as my favorite.

Even after getting started on this forum and began posting on this thread...it was still Jack first, with Sam at a close second.

Well, I came to a realization recently. It happened as I was going through screen caps and sound bytes and video clips. I'm not sure of the exact moment it dawned on me...but I realized that Sam has somehow become my favorite character.

Maybe it's because of RDA's limited schedule. Because we didn't see him on screen as much as we did in the past, we got to see more of Sam and learned more about what makes her tick. It's funny because many of the episodes people dislike because they perceive that Sam seems weak or whatever are the very episodes that drew me closer to her as a character.

She was no longer an out of reach super scientist who blew up suns. She became a "real" person, with failings, doubts and frailties - this I can identify with.

So perhaps I should thank RDA for his limited time on screen because it gave me a chance to get to know Sam, and to feel that, were she a real person, she and I could relate to each other as friends. We could discuss the difficulties we both have at expressing feelings for a guy we care about, our concern that we don't always live up to the expectations of others and the problems associated with designing a more stable Naquadriah FTL drive (that one's been a problem for me lately).

So thank you, Richard Dean Anderson, for giving me the opportunity to really get to know - and love - Samantha Carter.
                      Uber, I tried to give you some green jello for this great post but am locked out of the Samanda fridge!

I love that you and Sam share a lot of common problems in life and love. And, darn it, those Naquada reactors and FTL drives are just the bane of the work week ... what's a girl to do?!

I hope you were happy with the Threads/Moebius interactions between Sam and Jack and so glad you'll have Sam to enjoy in S9 and Jack to dream about!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Here here!! I think Uber may have just started something.

I have to say I'm finding myself falling into this same category.
                        RDA was my reason for watching Stargate... I've loved him for all the same reasons that you mentioned above and although I've always loved Sam, she always seemed to come in second for me. But over the past few years, the past six months especially, as my knowledge of Sam and Amanda increases, so does my admiration. I think part of the reason I've grown to enjoy Sam so much is directly because of Amanda. I have always liked Sam, but up until I bought the DVD's, I never realized what an absolutely wonderful person AT was and now I find that when I watch Sam on screen I suddenly see Amanda's wonderful charisma ooze out through Sam. Little inflections in her voice, facial gestures or character traits I never noticed before suddenly seem so vividly clear.

In my case specifically the difference that became so apparently clear for me between RDA/Jack and AT/Sam was the fact that while I loved the character of Jack, I lusted after RDA. Being a married woman, I've tried to not allow those types of feelings to get too out of hand. Therefore I don't frequent the Thunker threads too often, it's too easy to get wrapped up in them.

Whereas with Sam/AT, I found that I could truly identify with the character and the actress. I really liked Sam before I started reading this forum, but I know since I've started reading this thread my understanding of her has increased a hundred fold. Seeing Sam through each of your eyes has helped me to understand the complexities about her that I never quite understood nor saw before.

I'm not sure if I'm 100% there yet like Uber, but I know it's definitely a neck and neck race now. And as I say good-bye to Jack/RDA at the end of the season, I have a feeling that Sam will quickly feel the shoes that Jack leaves behind...at least in my heart.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

... And completely off topic but... I just realized I spent the entire morning at uni with my fly undone! I can't believe no-one noticed - or maybe they did... O.o
                          Dear Director of Security

This lapse of attention to a private matter in a public setting must not happen again. Why, it was only yesterday that you had expressed concern for certain alleged "questionable" behaviours that may have taken place during the Royal Gala.

Dare I say that your own involvement behind the bandstand that evening may have led to a certain laxity in your dress code which now carried over to an academic campus. Tsk, tsk ... university is a place for decorum and dignity ... yea, in order to maintain the order which you are sworn to uphold, you may even have to forfeit your freedom of speech and zip it up for the present time.

Fortunately, Madam President is traveling in France ... and Madam Vice-President still does not know your royal duties, nor her own job description for that matter.

I think their absence from the Court will offer you time to look in the mirror, make the proper adjustments, and carry on.

Your concerned colleague,

Court Jester
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 14 March 2005, 04:12 AM.

Comment

...the fact that while I loved the character of Jack, I lusted after RDA. Being a married woman, I've tried to not allow those types of feelings to get too out of hand. Therefore I don't frequent the Thunker threads too often, it's too easy to get wrapped up in them.
                            Dearest Royal Nanny-to-Be

Methinks that you and Director of Security may have to report to the Vicar for some private meditation on the sins of the flesh. Do try to avoid certain temptations outside the realm of Samanda, especially locations in which images of disrobed men may take your mind from the higher aspirations that your royal post requires.

Remember that you will soon be caring for the Royal Heir and must set good example at all times.

Your concerned colleague,

Court Jester

Comment

Here here!! I think Uber may have just started something.

I have to say I'm finding myself falling into this same category.
                              RDA was my reason for watching Stargate... I've loved him for all the same reasons that you mentioned above and although I've always loved Sam, she always seemed to come in second for me. But over the past few years, the past six months especially, as my knowledge of Sam and Amanda increases, so does my admiration. I think part of the reason I've grown to enjoy Sam so much is directly because of Amanda. I have always liked Sam, but up until I bought the DVD's, I never realized what an absolutely wonderful person AT was and now I find that when I watch Sam on screen I suddenly see Amanda's wonderful charisma ooze out through Sam. Little inflections in her voice, facial gestures or character traits I never noticed before suddenly seem so vividly clear.

In my case specifically the difference that became so apparently clear for me between RDA/Jack and AT/Sam was the fact that while I loved the character of Jack, I lusted after RDA. Being a married woman, I've tried to not allow those types of feelings to get too out of hand. Therefore I don't frequent the Thunker threads too often, it's too easy to get wrapped up in them.

Whereas with Sam/AT, I found that I could truly identify with the character and the actress. I really liked Sam before I started reading this forum, but I know since I've started reading this thread my understanding of her has increased a hundred fold. Seeing Sam through each of your eyes has helped me to understand the complexities about her that I never quite understood nor saw before.

I'm not sure if I'm 100% there yet like Uber, but I know it's definitely a neck and neck race now. And as I say good-bye to Jack/RDA at the end of the season, I have a feeling that Sam will quickly feel the shoes that Jack leaves behind...at least in my heart.

Kat
                              Hey Kat, on a more serious note ... this was a great response to Uber. And, yes, I think we have all gotten to know the character of Sam and the person of Amanda so much better from our participation in this thread.

So, as much as we'll all miss Jack, we can still look forward to our gal, Sam, returning for S9.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Hey Kat, on a more serious note ... this was a great response to Uber. And, yes, I think we have all gotten to know the character of Sam and the person of Amanda so much better from our participation in this thread.

So, as much as we'll all miss Jack, we can still look forward to our gal, Sam, returning for S9.
                                I'm glad you all liked my post!

Hey, you know, I just had an interesting thought about Sam - and what I'd like to see happen to her after SG-1 wraps up, whenever that may be.

Wouldn't it be neat if Sam at some point became the leader in Atlantis? I'm still not warming up to this Weir chick as I mentioned offhandedly in a previous post. How cool would it be for Sam to not only have a position of command, but to lead an ENTIRE expedition, hmmm???

Now, the Jack/Sam shipper in me doesn't like the idea because of the whole "being on the other side of the universe thing" (adding a new dimension to the phrase "long distance relationship")... but hopefully, travel between Earth and Atlantis will someday be something that could occur without someone being stranded somewhere.

Just a thought!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X