Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    I got this in my mailbox today and had to share.

Sometimes it DOES take a Rocket Scientist

Scientists at NASA built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity. The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields.

British engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high-speed trains. Arrangements were made, and the gun was sent to the British engineers.
    When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurtled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's backrest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin, like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Brits sent NASA the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield, and begged the US scientists for suggestions.

NASA responded with a one-line memo: "Thaw the chicken."

http://www.thursdayfile.ca

LOL!!!! Only in Britain
    ......TARA......

Comment

NASA responded with a one-line memo: "Thaw the chicken."http://www.thursdayfile.ca
      Yeah, this is a very amusing urban legend. The Myth Busters on TV made an episode where they actually built a chicken launching cannon to determine if thawing the chicken would make any difference when hitting a windshield. After blowing airplane windshields to smithereens with both thawed and frozen chickens, they eventually determined that the difference between thawed and frozen chickens was negligible when striking with that amount of force.

I laughed my a** off the whole episode.

(Gosh, I sound like a total geek, don't I?)

My LJ

Comment

Scientists at NASA built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity. The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields.

British engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high-speed trains. Arrangements were made, and the gun was sent to the British engineers.
        When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurtled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's backrest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin, like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Brits sent NASA the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield, and begged the US scientists for suggestions.

"Do you want fries with that?!"

ROTFLOL

And then I remembered ... these are my hard-earned tax dollars at work (USA side). Can't wait to see Coley's reaction to what happened to the Brits!
        Last edited by ChopinGal; 11 March 2005, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          I agree with you there, and I remember at the time wishing that someone would tell him to stow it... I didn't like it that she 'forgave' him (even if he'd started acting human-like by the end) and then kissed him... I felt he didn't deserve it.
          I didn't like that she forgave him either--especially with that little kiss. He never really apologized. Sure, she's a professional and will work with *anyone* to get the job done, that doesn't mean you start liking someone who is such a big jerk. He's ok on Atlantis in small doses--especially when he gets told off.

Comment

Ummm, I'm not sure what proper etiquette is on this forum, but I wanted to thank everyone for their welcoming messages and compliments on my stories. I hope a blanket "thank you" is okay... I didn't want to clog the list with a bunch of individual messages. But... thank you!

Hugs,
            Strix

My LJ

Comment

Calling for all great/funny/poignant/dramatic/etc 'Sam Moments' or 'Sam Lines' from Season 6.
              Or any great behind the scenes stories... Things AT said about filming the episodes, etc.
              (Am completing the archiving of Season 6 comments).

Photo from the Official Amanda Tapping Website

Comment

((((((ForeverSg1)))))

I agree, though; this is the most pleasent thread I've ever been in, too. I think we've put down roots, painted the shingles Jell-o blue, planted the white picket fence(sorry, too late for me to try for the 2.5 little Samandans, though. I'll leave that to you young folk.)
                Yes, it's gotten to the point where I rarely venture onto other threads. (Mostly this one and the Thor/Sam ship thread which is hilarious.) Among other things, people get so p**** with each other over little things. The tone of a lot of posts seems to be (and sometimes the actual words) "only an idiot would think that." I went onto a thread titled something like "Should Tapping get her own show" and a guy attacked people who responded as people who couldn't tell the difference between a character and a real person. Geez, chill out already. We all here know Sam isn't an actual person, but we can enjoy getting into the spirit of the character and her "life." Gosh, isn't that what writers and actors do all the time? Sorry if I've come off as p**** myself.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  And here's a snapshot to play with:
                  Guess That Episode

or...rename that episode...
                  or...make a caption for this pic...
                  Photo from the Official Amanda Tapping website
                  Sorry sir, this larger remote won't let me tune in the Stanley Cup game anymore than the last one would.

Comment

Especially for Jckfan55, ForeverSG1, ChopinGal, MajorSal and anyone else who has gotten down over the past few days (when discussing some of the fan opinions from beyond the walls of the SaGC)
                    For all members and readers of the SaGC,
                    Blue Jello Day!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      And here's a snapshot to play with:
                      Guess That Episode

or...rename that episode...
                      or...make a caption for this pic...
                      Photo from the Official Amanda Tapping website
                      How about a silly caption:

Carter: Sir, according to my tricorder readings, the trilythium is dead ahead.
                      Teal'c: "Tricorder?"
                      Jack" "Trilythium?"
                      Carter (slightly embarrassed): Whoops. Wrong franchise.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Logs on in hopeful anticipation of friendly and interesting posts.
                        Sees last few posts pertaining to chickens
                        retires to brood over response!!!

Comment

Re caption

"Damn it! Coronation Street's on in 5 mins and I can't get a decent reception!"

Comment

I got this in my mailbox today and had to share.

You know there often times when I respond to things like this with
                            LMAO but I can honestly say this is the first time I've laughed so hard
                            after reading something that I had to run to the restroom for fear of
                            wetting myself.

Thank you for such a big chuckle this afternoon,
                            Forever
                            Kat

Comment

Oh Yea Times Special

It has been reported today that a little flap has erupted on the normal tranquil streets of Samanda. Apparently the Accountant (of prude Brit Origins - and known as one of the three mother hens) who resides around middling in the pecking order of the Court, has had her feathers ruffled by a recent story doing the rounds on the streets. The accountant plucked this response from the top of her head and squawked - and this is quoted eggactly!

"Our dear Double Yolker seems to expect a retort, well I just want to point out to all the wooden planks out there who are egging one another on, that I'm calling it a case of fowl play. In our defence the supplied chickens were, in addition to being frozen, twice the normal size of our well honed Brit variety - as sure as eggs is eggs, it had an impact on the outcome! That’s all I wish to say on the matter".

All I need to say is that the Accountant has obviously put all her eggs in one basket and taken her bat and ball home for the day. I myself think she's well and truly beaten at this one! Guess we'll be treading on egg shells for a while…. Or not!

Comment

Over to you Jester!

Comment

Working...
                                X