No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metamorphosis: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. (I know it's been used before.)

Comment

First of all, I HATE Blue Feather with a vengeance and passion equalled to none!

That said, I first got into the Stargate Fandom on the Internet after Space Race first aired in the United States, and shortly after that i went to fan fiction (my Favourite Author being Denise, thankyou Skydiver )
      Gateworld was the first and now only Stargate site i go to (other than Aussie Stargate sites of course). I won't name the other sites (you have all probably had similar experience with many of then) but i left them because not only were the people on the forums very Anti-Sam everything, so was the news and articles the sites did and how they were written, down to Bios of the characters. Comments like how pathetic sam was in death knell - POOR survival skills and weak for resting her head on jacks shoulder, Heroes - Abandoning her Post for Jack, a bad leader in the Lost City and so on.
      Blue Feather made so mad because i could not believe someone would go to all that trouble to bash sam, writing a fic on it - I think it even got nominated in the Stargate FanFiction Awards, though it did not win thank god.

I always thought and still think that Janet and Daniel were in a completely different area, so there was no way it could have been sams fault. That is what annoys me the most - the length some people will go to to bash a character. I know people have a right to there opinion, they can do and say what they like. So can i, so i left for good.

I have seen people list reasons why sam is apparently a poor, weak character. Here are some (god i'm on a roll here!):

- She cried too much when Daniel Ascended and in Heroes, and is too emotional.
      - She is too unemotional, too cold and a heartless B*tch
      - yelled at Dr Lee in Paradise Lost, cant control scientists, bad leader, poor officer, and cried in the locker room - which is one of the few times we see signs of all the bad things that have happend to her affecting, Is was pathetic and cries at the drop of a hat.
      - is STUPID! (i fell of my chair then)

I read some fans saying they would have preferred sam to be a guy. I could not believe that, As i think sam is such as great, strong woman, and a good role model and im a guy. Played by a terrific Actress too.

Authors like some of the posters on this thread (love all your Fic, write more soon ) and forums like Gateworld are definately the best for me. I love this thread, a big thankyou to Genius who created it. i will try to become more actively involved, i usually dont post, just read peoples opinions. I usually only post when i am defending something (Characters, Episodes, Seasons etc) i will try to change, because i love Samanda and intend to move out of my house and live here

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
        f

I always thought and still think that Janet and Daniel were in a completely different area, so there was no way it could have been sams fault.
        I'm sure they were too.)

I love this thread, a big thankyou to Genius who created it. i will try to become more actively involved, i usually dont post, just read peoples opinions. I usually only post when i am defending something (Characters, Episodes, Seasons etc) i will try to change, because i love Samanda and intend to move out of my house and live here
        There's always room for one more!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          I think that the writers did a really good job with Sam up until season 7, when things went off in strange directions (which could have been a good thing, had it been handled a little differently).

I can think of two times when Sam reacted very much like a female (and very unlike a guy). In Solitudes, she got so frustrated at being unable to get the gate to work that she was practically in tears, and in Singularity, again, she was in tears having to leave Cassie alone... Crying in anger and frustration is a very female reaction, and AT did an absolutely fantastic job portraying the emotion in those episodes.
          Singularity was when I really fell in love with Carter as a character. I did a case study on her character with Singularity as a basis several pages back, which was how I got the job as Royal Photographer in Samanda....

BTW, apparently no one has required my Royal services lately so I'm here on standby awaiting orders...

Paradise Lost was an excellent job by AT as well. Sam is usually so calm and collected...but when faced with losing O'Neill so close to losing Daniel...it was just too much for her to take - and I respect that! How boring would it be to have a Sam bot who did everything perfectly and in order all the time? And that scene with her and Teal'c in the locker room was just heart rending...

Regarding Solitudes - another great Sam ep (I may have to do a case study on this one too). One of the first times we get to see the desperate side of Carter, who's panicked about her CO being seriously wounded and frustrated that she can't do anything to save them. Super job by AT, IMHO...

I think the reasons these eps stand out is precisely because we see Sam not be perfect. She's emotional, irrational at times and angry...and I think that's great!

New Name for Solitudes (based on the AT video I posted a few days ago):

"I'm Stuck on a Glacier with McGyver!!!"

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hiya Strix! And welcome aboard!
            So glad to see you joining us and posting with us!
            Thanks for being so welcoming. This is a great forum... I've spent a lot of time going through old messages and there have been some very thought-provoking discussions.
            We did, however, have a respectful and thoughtful discussion about the possible origins of Sam-bashing and such a few pages back... mumbles to self and wanders into the SaGC archives...which are growing... may have to ask (plead) with the Royal Accountant for the funds (beans) to purchase an annex or a new and larger storage facility.... ... ah, yes, here it is... sam-bashing was discussed around in thread pages numbered in the late 80's to early 90's... and I did a summary of sorts on page 92, post 1831.
            I have often wondered why the division arose. Thanks for pointing me to it!

My LJ

Comment

i love Samanda and intend to move out of my house and live here
              Now that is one of the best sentences posted today! The SaGC is clean, friendly and warm... with lively discussions filled with passionate contributors. Blue jello is usually on hand... orange T-shirts are common, so don't forget to write your name on the tag inside of yours... The fires are stoked, and lots of wood has been chopped for the quiet months after Moebius airs. Pull up a chair and join us!
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 March 2005, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                BTW, apparently no one has required my Royal services lately so I'm here on standby awaiting orders...
                The Security Office could do with some instructional photo's on proper use of firearms...

Gold!

Comment

Welcome Strix, I have read the Knife's Edge and it was a wonderful tag to Desperate Measures, very well written and clever.
                  Thank you!

Looking forward to reading more of your work soon. Do you have a website
                  Yes, it's at http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/stargate.htm

Regarding Blue Feather, did you interpret the story itself as "bitter vitriol", or the comments and summary by the author?
                  I thought the story was very bitter. I can't remember if I read the author's comments or not.

My LJ

Comment

Singularity was when I really fell in love with Carter as a character. I did a case study on her character with Singularity as a basis several pages back, which was how I got the job as Royal Photographer in Samanda....
                    Uber's great pics and analysis of Singularity
                    More Singularity Screen Caps
                    Originally posted by ubersg1fan
                    I'd like to submit a request for the many different sides and scenes that we got to see of Sam in Smoke and Mirrors.
                    Regarding Solitudes - another great Sam ep (I may have to do a case study on this one too). One of the first times we get to see the desperate side of Carter, who's panicked about her CO being seriously wounded and frustrated that she can't do anything to save them. Super job by AT, IMHO...
                    A few Solitudes screen caps (and more would be great!)

Love it! And that quote just has to go into the list of SaGC quotes... now where should it be posted...?
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 March 2005, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      I'm sure they were too.)

There's always room for one more!

absolutely!

there's no such thing as too many samandans
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                        I think that they could start by doing a 'Bloppers/Out Takes/Deleted Scenes" DVD
                        of the bloppers, deleted scenes, out takes, that are mentioned on the various DVD
                        commentaries.

At the head of my list would be:
                        1. The deleted Carter/Fraiser scene from 'Ascension'
                        2. The outakes from the briefing room scene in 'Rite of Passage'
                        3. The outakes from a scene in 'Menace'
                        The scene is between Daniel Jackson and Reese with Carter and O'Neill in the
                        background - in the observation room.

Yes to all of them! I'd especially like to see number three, because this is the scene (if we're thinking of the same one) where Amanda and Rick had the giggles and were literally dismissed from the room until they could control themselves.

adding another:

4. ALL the takes of the Sam/Jack kiss in Grace... I've been told there were 12 takes... *sighs*

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

I don't think I would be nearly as interested in the show if I didn't sense the bond between the team - that they felt for each other something that went beyond just fighting side by side on a weekly basis. That sense of "family" adds depth and a realistic edge to how real people respond to these extreme life and death scenarios as they protect the Earth from threats from abroad.
                          I think a great deal of what we saw on the screen for the last 8 years was a reflection of how the cast and crew feel about each other. From what I've read, there was a special bond forged between AT, MS and CJ when they first started the show. RDA as producer and star apparently wanted the working atmosphere to be fun. It's obvious from the behind-the-scenes features, interviews, and episode commentaries, that these guys don't take themselves too seriously, and that the cast and crew truly like each other and enjoy the work.

Having said that, with the changes in the cast next season, I would hope that the new players will fit into the "family," both on and off screen. I'm guessing that they will. The Ben Browder interviews that I've read have been encouraging in that regard. He seems like he'll fit right into the group. I'm going to try and trust TPTB to not mess up the group dynamic.

NC

Comment

you know, folks can bag on sam for being cold and unemotional but you know....me personally? I don't like to burst into tears in public. I don't like or like to be around women tossing a tizzy because someone stole her parking space

and you know, i trust and respect men more who don't act out or explode. control of emotions doesn't mean that you don't feel them, it just means that you aren't ruled by them
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

First of all, I HATE Blue Feather with a vengeance and passion equalled to none!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all on your comments of Blue Feather. I've never read it but I've added it to my list of stories to avoid.
                              I can't believe how many stories I've read where I've cringed and hit x within the first five minutes of writing. I also do not see the point of writing a story where you do nothing but bash one of the main characters. There are times when I question my sanity in taking my love for Stargate to the next level of fandom and reading forums. I truly believe now that I didnt know how lucky I had it to be able to enjoy an episode in ignorant bliss, without realizing how many truly angry, miserable fans there were out there.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                Yes to all of them! I'd especially like to see number three, because this is the scene (if we're thinking of the same one) where Amanda and Rick had the giggles and were literally dismissed from the room until they could control themselves.

adding another:

4. ALL the takes of the Sam/Jack kiss in Grace... I've been told there were 12 takes... *sighs*

Sally
                                TWELVE TAKES??? I'd pay good money to see that...

Regarding the others listed, what can I say? I love outtake/blooper reels in general and I bet the ones from SG-1 are priceless...especially knowing what a ham RDA is...

Okay - who do we have to petition to make this a reality??? Come now, O great people of Samanda! Let's put our heads together!

DVDs with Bloopers and Outtakes... You know they'd sell like hot cakes... Hey! That could be our motto! (wow, I'm in a corny mood this fine evening...)

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X