Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    my one issue with blue feather is, my interpretaion/opinion, is that it was written more of a political statement than a 'real' fic....in other words, let's find a way to bash sam and use the jaffa as a means to that end
    (i equate it to a fic called Canto, where jack beats jonas to death with a hockey stick, and gets off because jonas deserved it )

did she make a mistake? I'm no pro on military conduct and regs so i don't know. How about Jack breaking the line going over to get that jaffa without saying a word? where was the dude that was supposed to be watching over janet and daniel? why wasn't he taken to task for not guarding them?

of course, everyone as assumed that it was that singular jaffa that shot janet. there were dozens on the planet and it could have been any one of them. sam rushing to jack could have had nothing to do with it

did she break the line because 'oh my god, the man i'm so hot for got shot' or did she go over to him to get him out of the line of fire and cover him...which is something i've seen more than one soldier do for his comrade in battle conditions (in the movies anyway, and i would imagine that it happens in real life).

he was down and unconscious and if they had to pull back...which they needed to, ya can't just leave him lying 'over there' or you risk getting cut off and having to leave him behind

Haven't we seen jack do that before? someone is down and he gets them aroundthe corner or wherever, out of the line of fire or am i just remembering what i want to?

I know that there was no real time to call for reinforcements, the jaffa sprung the trap too fast however i think janet's death was attributal to several sources and putting the blame squarely on sam probably wasn't the fairest thing to do, especially since we never got a full picture of what was happening.

I'm not saying she might not have contributed....what i am saying is that there's probably no singular place to put blame

Like I've said before, Skydiver; same ppl complain with the same agendas.

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
      HAHA (((((((((((((Sal))))))))))))

I'm afraid though I might have been misinformed regarding System Lord'ia... How many points do you have to get to become one?? (How many points you got?) Because by all my knowledge, I should have it now... but I don't...

I have (as of this post) 2042 points. I know I lost a few because someone got mad at me for asking a ship question in the Joe Mallozzi thread. I really have no idea how many you have to have to get you into rulerness, but I know I'd been checking my statis regularly and I merely missed it. Heck, MajorSam, you can rule with me anyways!

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

It's just too bad that this was probably more fodder for the venomous ship vs. anti-ship camps. I can just see the anti-shippers hating seeing Sam falling towards Jack on the battlefield... while many shippers probably thought it was one of the best scenes of the entire episode! Sigh...
        The ship/anti ship debate will never end. And if you haven't ventured out of the sanctity of this thread or forum, let me advise you, Astro... don't. I'll always regret leaving my nice and cushy S/J list all those years ago to see what the other side thought... Throw in reading magazines, ptb opinions, fans opinions, articles, interviews, actors/directors/producers/writers thoughts, con recollections... after this show is over, I quit fandom all together. I'm never going to join another show's fandom, because sometimes the dark side overwhelms the light. THIS thread, and my ship-centric threads/lists, are THE best parts of being in fandom, but... once you become tainted, it's impossible to go back to the lovely bliss of ignorance.

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          For a couple of Season 6 Sam scenes that made memorable impressions for me...
          ...and for a little Sam-whumping...
          ...here are a few screencaps from Prophecy.
          Jonas: "What happened?"
          He catches up with Siler who is walking to the infirmary.
          Siler: "Ah, we were doing an overhaul of the 'gate generators and there was a power spike. The capacitor blew."
          Jonas: "Anybody else hurt?"
          Siler: "Major Carter."
          Jonas stops and slowly turns to see the scene he had seen in his vision play out before him.
          Fraiser: "How's she doing?"
          Female Nurse: "Respirations are shallow. Pulse is weak."
          Fraiser: "Sam, can you hear me? Sam?"
          Female Nurse: "I've lost the pulse."
          Fraiser: "She's in V-fib!"
          (Janet thumps Sam on the chest.) "Anything?"
          Female Nurse: "Nothing."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acitorblew.jpg

Fraiser: "Charge to two hundred."
          Female Nurse: "Charging."
          Fraiser: "Clear!"
          Female Nurse: "Clear."
          Janet zaps Sam with the defibrillator paddles.
          Frasier: "What've we got?"
          Female Nurse: "Pulse is back, regular sinus."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Overcooked.jpg

Fraiser: "Okay. Let's get them both into the infirmary. Let's move."
          Jonas watches as Siler follows Sam, Janet and the other medical personnel into the elevator.
          Jonas: "How you feeling?"
          Sam: "Slightly overcooked. Janet says I'll be fine."
          She pats the bed next to her, indicating that he should have a seat.
          >>> Now Sam had very little to do in Prophecy, but the couple of scenes above have stuck with me. And the line I'll never forget: When Jonas asks her how she's feeling and her response is a self-deprecating 'Slightly overcooked'... I loved how irreverant it was, how it showed some of Sam's humor, and how it showed once that Sam can laugh a bit at herself (and her life) and that she doesn't take herself too seriously, nor is she going to melt down because she got zapped because some electronics blew up in her face (so to speak).

I also thought it was a great touch when Sam pats the bed, inviting Jonas to sit down and talk with her about what happened and what's running through his mind. Loved how it showed Sam as inviting and offering friendship to a teammate.
          Photos are screencaps from Season 6's episode Prophecy
          Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

I really liked this ep. I felt it was a *really* good Jonas ep, and made me like him even more than I did before.

Back to Sam; the only part I was irked by was when Sam was flat-lining in the hallway. I wanted to see it! If you'll notice, when Janet was 'really' working on her, you didn't see it. I like H/C scenes like that... dang.

I also liked Sam's conversation with Jonas. And like you, Astro, I liked seeing her pat the bed for Jonas to come sit with her.

I miss Sam and Jonas interaction. She worked well off him, as did Teal'c. (I still think Jonas was the best thing to ever happen to the Teal'c character)

I liked season six. I really wonder how things would have turned out if MS hadn't decided he wanted to come back... but that's for another thread.

Sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            Anyhoo, I guess the point of this post is that I'm not as strong as Sam is... and would anyone 'really' be that strong and resilient? Have the writers done Sam Carter a disserve?

Sally
            That's the main reason why I posted that article; since it's canon that SG-1 are resilient, what kind of training might they have had to help make them - and keep them - resilient?

To be fair to the writers, this is episodic tv. We have seen Daniel angst over Shar'e, Jack, over his wife and son, Teal'c over his wife, his son, and his people, Sam, over her father and over the fact that she was blended.

But if they'd let each member of SG-1 react realistically to every situation we've enjoyed watching them endure, then they'd have had to either 1) watered down the situations so that enduring them without consequences would be believable - blah! or, 2) gotten a fresh cast of characters every season as the last cast would all have been committed either to prison or to an asylum or even commited suicide - not so good.

Oh, and 3) what would fic writers have to write about.
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

hey astro

You actually got a cap of bruce woloshyn's cameo in prophecy

he was also in citizen joe, the one joe askes 'how much' to

but if you look in your first panel, the one iwth jonas on the left. in the next pic, you see sam on the gurney with 3 medics pushing her. the one in the middle, tall guy, dark hair, that's bruce

he's the boss at Rainmaker Digital, the folks that do the effects for the show, most importantly, they do all the puddle passes....someone walks through the stargate, they do that effect
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                spoilers for s8's threads

Spoiler:
                How was Jolinar mentioned in Threads?

Sally
                threads spoilage
                Spoiler:

sam just says 'i only carried jolinar for a short time but iremmber what it felt like' or something like that. she was empathizing with jacob and what was about to happen

sigpic

Comment

hey astro

You actually got a cap of bruce woloshyn's cameo in prophecy

... in the next pic, you see sam on the gurney with 3 medics pushing her. the one in the middle, tall guy, dark hair, that's bruce

he's the boss at Rainmaker Digital, the folks that do the effects for the show, most importantly, they do all the puddle passes....someone walks through the stargate, they do that effect
                  Holy Hannah!

So this is the creator of Blue Jello!!

Comment

I won't deny that blue feather has a point, it's POSSIBLE that sam's actions contributed to janet's death. But like i said, it also ignored the other contributory actions such as jack's mistake which started it, the dude that was covering daniel and janet messing up, the fact that we don't know if that jaffa was the one that got janet, we don't even know where janet/daniel/wells were. they could have been off to the left not the right or a quarter mile away.

we simply don't know enough to attribute blame to any single place. however by the author taking a clear and, imho, political stance in the beginning, she's negated the veracity of her point because it's too easily dismissed as 'eh, she doesn't like ship and is just making a point'

If, and again, this is just my opinion, she had taken a more objective stance and examined all the evidence rather than the 'it's sam's fault, get over it' attitude, then i personally could take her fic more seriously.

but, like i said, she does have a point. sam's actions could have contributed to the events, but her point is moot because of the way it was presented

ya know, we occasionally bag at the show's writers for taking the 'easy way out'....such as the end of chimera and how pete ended up where he was and treated as he was....this is just a fandom example of the author wanting to get to point b and simply going there rather than thinking out a more reasonable explanation

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      That's the main reason why I posted that article; since it's canon that SG-1 are resilient, what kind of training might they have had to help make them - and keep them - resilient?

To be fair to the writers, this is episodic tv. We have seen Daniel angst over Shar'e, Jack, over his wife and son, Teal'c over his wife, his son, and his people, Sam, over her father and over the fact that she was blended.

But if they'd let each member of SG-1 react realistically to every situation we've enjoyed watching them endure, then they'd have had to either 1) watered down the situations so that enduring them without consequences would be believable - blah! or, 2) gotten a fresh cast of characters every season as the last cast would all have been committed either to prison or to an asylum or even commited suicide - not so good.

Oh, and 3) what would fic writers have to write about.
                      LOL Yep, we'd have a whole new spin-off: One Flew Over The Stargate ... and who would play Nurse Ratchett?! Have to admit, SG1 can do crazy so well ... I'd watch the spin-off!

That reminds me ... Uber or Astro, do we have the screencaps of Jack's encounter with Teal'c in the commissary when he does the "one fry short of a happy meal" routine ... you know ... was it WOO? Can someone run that scene again? It's one of my favorites, and so Jack!

Comment

I won't deny that blue feather has a point, it's POSSIBLE that sam's actions contributed to janet's death ....

... we simply don't know enough to attribute blame to any single place. however by the author taking a clear and, imho, political stance in the beginning, she's negated the veracity of her point because it's too easily dismissed as 'eh, she doesn't like ship and is just making a point'

If, and again, this is just my opinion, she had taken a more objective stance and examined all the evidence rather than the 'it's sam's fault, get over it' attitude, then i personally could take her fic more seriously.

but, like i said, she does have a point. sam's actions could have contributed to the events, but her point is moot because of the way it was presented

... this is just a fandom example of the author wanting to get to point b and simply going there rather than thinking out a more reasonable explanation
                        Sky, well said ... and just as NC inferred earlier, there seems to be a political agenda/bias which is blatantly set forth in summary and author's note ... duh ... for those of us who read them!

I think it would have served the author well if she just presented her story and didn't try to "lead the witness" by presenting her anti-ship/anti-Sam POV. Let the story stand on its own merits and, as NC also mentioned, if you did not read the author's personal remarks, how would you react to the story itself? Its sole focus was on Sam's actions, rather than the context and actions of everyone involved in the incident. The narrow vision left room for distortion. I can understand your point.

And, I checked with my physician last night, and she assures me that I am not suffering from foot-in-mouth disease! Just a little memory loss from reading so many fanfics ....

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          LOL Yep, we'd have a whole new spin-off: One Flew Over The Stargate ... and who would play Nurse Ratchett?! Have to admit, SG1 can do crazy so well ... I'd watch the spin-off!
                          LOL! Oh wow, now you've started something! I can see Jack as McMurphy and Teal'c as Chief. But Nurse Ratchett? Kinsey or Maybourne?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                            LOL! Oh wow, now you've started something! I can see Jack as McMurphy and Teal'c as Chief. But Nurse Ratchett? Kinsey or Maybourne?

NC
                            LOL back at you! Maybourne in drag as Nurse Ratchett??!! Now there's a vision ....

Comment

What makes Sam tick?! That's what this whole thread is about ...

While reading some of Amanda's personal interviews and transcripts on her website this morning, I realized that reading AT's own words reveals not only so much about the actor, but so much about what makes Sam tick too. You can watch how Amanda evolves as Sam through the seasons of the show just by reading her articles from 1997 on to the present. It's a terrific primer for learning to appreciate the character even more.

If you haven't read any of the articles yet, go on over and check them out. I've read many of them before, but each time I go back, I find something new and intriguing that I missed the first time. Kamil, the webmaster, has done a fine job on posting some really good interviews.

www.amandatapping.com

Go to "Articles" and enjoy! We can even quote from an article and discuss further if there's anything especially Samworthy that you'd like to bring to this thread.

Omigosh ... I just took a glance upwards and, lo and behold, I've earned my first green and glowy jello! Hey, MajorSam ... I'm officially a radioactive chick! Thanks, guys, for all the rep points!
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 10 March 2005, 07:22 AM.

Comment

... that's the one stumbling block, there's so much to go through and not enough hours
                                in the day to go through it all
                                I think that they could start by doing a 'Bloppers/Out Takes/Deleted Scenes" DVD
                                of the bloppers, deleted scenes, out takes, that are mentioned on the various DVD
                                commentaries.

At the head of my list would be:
                                1. The deleted Carter/Fraiser scene from 'Ascension'
                                2. The outakes from the briefing room scene in 'Rite of Passage'
                                3. The outakes from a scene in 'Menace'
                                The scene is between Daniel Jackson and Reese with Carter and O'Neill in the
                                background - in the observation room.

Comment

Working...
                                X