Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    I know you can't really prepare someone for getting snaked or ribboned
    (or the absolute worse for an SG-1 character, fanwhumped )
    FANWHUMPED! ROTFL! Well put TH!

Edited to add:... just realized how the actors or TPTB might want to read 'fanwhumping'... hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      I thought that MajorSam's date of March 14 sounded more familiar to me than March 9, and when I went to your link, I saw why. Today's deadline is for the Sam and Jack fan fiction awards and I think MS was referring to the Stargate Fan Awards, where nominations don't open until March 14. I hope that we'll all nominate some of our favorite authors there as well. NC
      Thanks NC - that's a website that I hadn't been to!

Comment

Blue Feather bothered me too. It could have been a good story to make me stop and think about the whole scenario from another perspective, but I thought the author was pretty confrontational in trying to make a valid point. Here's the summary and and author's note, taken from Heliopolis:

Summary: Sam left her post in Heroes to go to Jack's side, this is a what if about consequences if being influenced by romantic emotion in battle and why the regulations exist.

Author's note: If you think Sam has a right to be on the team and have feelings for her C.O., don't read this.

I totally agree that the regulations are there to prevent problems just like the ones imagined in the story, and would have been inclined to enjoy reading a story that presented such a dilemma. But by reading this summary first, it was clear that the author's agenda was to knock Sam in order to make the point.

NC

Comment

And here's another shot from Season 6:

Photo is from the Official Amanda Tapping Website

Comment

Blue Feather bothered me too. It could have been a good story to make me stop and think about the whole scenario from another perspective, but I thought the author was pretty confrontational in trying to make a valid point. Here's the summary and and author's note, taken from Heliopolis:

Summary: Sam left her post in Heroes to go to Jack's side, this is a what if about consequences if being influenced by romantic emotion in battle and why the regulations exist.

Author's note: If you think Sam has a right to be on the team and have feelings for her C.O., don't read this.

I totally agree that the regulations are there to prevent problems just like the ones imagined in the story, and would have been inclined to enjoy reading a story that presented such a dilemma. But by reading this summary first, it was clear that the author's agenda was to knock Sam in order to make the point.

NC

This fic bothered me too, for the reasons you stated. After Heroes II aired, I asked a friend of mine who was in the military how Sam's actions would be judged. Just her opinion (she watches Stargate and she watched the scene a number of times after I asked her about it), but she said that Sam would not be reprimanded for her actions. In the situation they were in (as Agent Dark mentioned), when someone goes down and you go over to help them, this is not considered a negative action---and it so depends on the situation. Just like Astro said, it would have helped to see a scene or two of Sam looking around, shooting protective fire, something before she went right over, but in a battle situation you would not be reprimanded for this. And sam has medical training for the field. That's the other thing though---when she goes over to O'Neill, they just showed her looking at him and then went right to a commerical, rather than showing her checking him over right away.

Anyway, those fans who don't like Sam figured she should be courtmartialed for this!!! That is just ludicrous, IMO!!!

By the way, voted for some the best fanfic writers I know---those on this thread.

Comment

Yes, Chopingal, I think it would be fun to guess how they write Sam in season 9 after most of, in not all of us, see the remainder of season 8. (Can't wait to see Threads this Friday). For now, speculations for season nine below.

It's funny, but I am right now optimistic about Sam in Season Nine. I like the idea of Sam far far away. I have no idea what that means, but I hope that she is doing something that makes her central in an intelligent scifi story arc---so hopefully being far far away she is doing something important that becomes more central later in the season. Who knows.

But also, I get for JM"s comments that when Sam first returns to the SGC, she does not immediately join SG-1 (just imo). Her expertize is used on the base, but not with SG-1. That may be okay, because maybe the writers are bringing in AT slowly after returning from maternity leave for the first few episodes after she is back. As long as she is doing something important and is the strong competent sam we know, that would work.

Then, certain events lead her to rejoin SG-1. (this may coincide with when AT has a little more time to actually film more and go out with the team). Here is where it could get really interesting because there could be some tension between Mitchell and Carter---here it is not clear who will lead, but there is potential for this to be interesting and I look forward to seeing how Teal'c and Daniel react when she rejoins the team. Here's hoping that she does resume her leadership position at this point. Or maybe Mitchell will lead some missions, and Carter will lead others, depending on the nature of the mission.

Comment

NC
                To be honest, I read it months ago and did not remember reading this at all ... I just remember the story itself. This summary and note are, as Sky said, definitely straightforward in the author's bias about the whole S/J ship.

I'm sorry, folks, for not going back to my source today before even bringing this whole thing up ... honestly, maybe it's repression or denial on my part, but I didn't remember the personal statements. The "what if" to the story was what stayed with me. And I did think it was a good, be it controversial, read.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  To be honest, I read it months ago and did not remember reading this at all ... I just remember the story itself. This summary and note are, as Sky said, definitely straightforward in the author's bias about the whole S/J ship.

I'm sorry, folks, for not going back to my source today before even bringing this whole thing up ... honestly, maybe it's repression or denial on my part, but I didn't remember the personal statements. The "what if" to the story was what stayed with me. And I did think it was a good, be it controversial, read.
                  I agree with you that it was a good read, and like you, it did make me stop and think about the possible consequences of personal relationships in the field. I think that's one of the reasons it bothered me too, because it made me consider the possiblity that Sam had acted improperly. It had been a while since I read it too, and I vaguely remembered feeling that it had been biased in some way, just as Sky said. But of course, I tend to be overly protective when I feel that Sam is being belittled. When I went back tonight and saw the summary, it was clear why I felt that way at the time. It would be interesting to hear what an unbiased reader might feel if they read the story without reading the summary and warning first.

NC

Comment

For a couple of Season 6 Sam scenes that made memorable impressions for me...
                    ...and for a little Sam-whumping...
                    ...here are a few screencaps from Prophecy.
                    Jonas: "What happened?"
                    He catches up with Siler who is walking to the infirmary.
                    Siler: "Ah, we were doing an overhaul of the 'gate generators and there was a power spike. The capacitor blew."
                    Jonas: "Anybody else hurt?"
                    Siler: "Major Carter."
                    Jonas stops and slowly turns to see the scene he had seen in his vision play out before him.
                    Fraiser: "How's she doing?"
                    Female Nurse: "Respirations are shallow. Pulse is weak."
                    Fraiser: "Sam, can you hear me? Sam?"
                    Female Nurse: "I've lost the pulse."
                    Fraiser: "She's in V-fib!"
                    (Janet thumps Sam on the chest.) "Anything?"
                    Female Nurse: "Nothing."

Fraiser: "Charge to two hundred."
                    Female Nurse: "Charging."
                    Fraiser: "Clear!"
                    Female Nurse: "Clear."
                    Janet zaps Sam with the defibrillator paddles.
                    Frasier: "What've we got?"
                    Female Nurse: "Pulse is back, regular sinus."

Fraiser: "Okay. Let's get them both into the infirmary. Let's move."
                    Jonas watches as Siler follows Sam, Janet and the other medical personnel into the elevator.
                    Jonas: "How you feeling?"
                    Sam: "Slightly overcooked. Janet says I'll be fine."
                    She pats the bed next to her, indicating that he should have a seat.
                    >>> Now Sam had very little to do in Prophecy, but the couple of scenes above have stuck with me. And the line I'll never forget: When Jonas asks her how she's feeling and her response is a self-deprecating 'Slightly overcooked'... I loved how irreverant it was, how it showed some of Sam's humor, and how it showed once that Sam can laugh a bit at herself (and her life) and that she doesn't take herself too seriously, nor is she going to melt down because she got zapped because some electronics blew up in her face (so to speak).

I also thought it was a great touch when Sam pats the bed, inviting Jonas to sit down and talk with her about what happened and what's running through his mind. Loved how it showed Sam as inviting and offering friendship to a teammate.
                    Photos are screencaps from Season 6's episode Prophecy
                    Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 09 March 2005, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      Edited to add: Just want to point out that I don't like the scenarios above... I really want to see Col. Carter in command of SG-1. And while I don't mind the idea of Sam going off with the Tokra for the first 5 episodes, I was hoping for a more dramatic (heroic) storyline for AT's absence. Now I realize that things are going to have to be different for Sam Carter in Season 9 because of AT's new baby, but I'd like to close with: I really hope they *don't* make her a Tokra!
                      If I can turn off my shipper side (okay, it *never* turns off, but I can give it a couple of s/j fics to read a while as it sits on the other side of the couch ), there's a bunch of things I'd like to see for Sam in those five missing eps. The real prob (and this is for RDA too) is that neither one was allowed to send their characters off to do certain things, so the show's catching up with them after the fact. I don't like that, at all. IF Sam was doing something big on those five eps, I'd feel a bit of letdown that we didn't get to 'see' her experiencing it. I also have some worries on the writers doing anything grand any justice. I can think of many different things that have happened to Sam over the years that the show just glossed over (nightwalkers and sam's second symbiote to die within her).

I wish Joe Mallozzi would be more direct in answering his questions on his thread. I'm worried on two fronts (Sam fan and S/J shipper fan), and I'm feeling anxiety on both. Every new cast member makes me afraid that Sam/Amanda is going to be pushed aside. Every lack of ship spoilers is making me feel that that aspect of Sam is going to be ignored.

I know they're reinventing Stargate, but please don't forget Sam...

(would one spoiler on what they have in mind for Sam be so bad?)

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Rename that Episode:

Solitudes

"Damn, my butt is frozen!"
                        Solitudes...

"Sidearm?"

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s8's threads

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          same here. don't tok'ra her. i mean, they've never really dealt with jolinar so why do something that makes sam 'special'....
                          Spoiler:
                          which we all know they'll just ignore like they have jolinar. threads is the first time jolinar has been mentioned since Meridian.
                          it's almost like they've gone out of their way to ignore sam's special talents...so i don't think they'll give her any more, especially since they've wasted what they already had established

I would love to think we'd see sam in charge, but i also am not holding out much hope for that. I just know that we'll get 15 episodes of sam and i'll just have to make due with those...and fill in with fic

Spoiler:
                          How was Jolinar mentioned in Threads?

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

More Season 6 highlights

Screen caps and Sam quotes from Nightwalkers

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...keepaneye1.jpg

Sam to Jonas: "I'm going to go talk to the Sheriff. Keep an eye on Teal'c."
                            Jonas: "Sure."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...keepaneye2.jpg

Sam to Teal'c: "Keep an eye on Jonas." (Now, that's leadership! )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lkersfood1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lkersfood2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lkersfood3.jpg

Sam: "Nice lunch."
                            Jonas: "Mm. I'm really starting to enjoy this, uh, traditional American food. Mm."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lkersfood4.jpg

Sam: "We have another tradition...it's called hardened arteries."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ckpicking1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ckpicking2.jpg

Jonas: "You have got to teach me how to do that."
                            Sam: "Wormhole theory, motorcycle riding and lock-picking."
                            Jonas: "Not necessarily in that order."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...alkerszat1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...alkerszat3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...alkerszat2.jpg

Singer: "The humans have no idea what's going on here."
                            Sam: "Oooh, I wouldn't exactly say that. You guys aren't nearly as smart as you think you are."

NC
                            Oh, man, you're making me want to watch that ep again! Sam was SO what we love about her in that ep - cool, in charge, and the lead!

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              I posted this on a Sam Whumpers group but got no response, so I thought I'd bring it over here.

I was reading about post traumatic stress disorder and I came across this UN Peacekeeper veteran's site and an interesting tidbit about bulletproofing:

I was thinking that, since women don't usually get to do the front-line combat stuff Sam obvoiusly does, perhaps she was part of a secret volonteer program to see if women actually can survive and thrive in the front line environment.

So, how do you imagine Sam's "bulletproofing" sessions to have been?
                              I can't imagine Sam being able to share any of her experiences.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                You make a really good point, Astro. No matter what the norms of bulletproofing or training women for combat were at the beginning of Sam's military assignment to SGC ... what she and the team experienced went far beyond that.

So, did those in command then develop a new training program incorporating off-world threats and methods of torture, etc.? Heck, Sam Carter and Jack O'Neill would probably be teaching a course like that, rather than taking it!
                                This is really bringing up some interesting thoughts. When I rewatched Reckoning part two the other night spoilers for s8's reckoning 2
                                Spoiler:
                                and Sam had activated that wall to pull away and her and Jacob went into the chamber, I was wanting to yell out to Sam to not go in there... because I was scared.
                                And it showed *me* that I wasn't cut out to do what Sam does. I honestly think I would have been done in in the second season with Jolinar's rape (what else can you really call it?). I really wonder if Sam 'would' be able to go on with everything that had happened to her over the years? That's one of my irks with the writing that all those emotional/physical abuses Sam's been through have been glossed over. Look what they did with Jack and his experience in season 6's Abyss. (i'm babbling ) Anyhoo, I guess the point of this post is that I'm not as strong as Sam is... and would anyone 'really' be that strong and resilient? Have the writers done Sam Carter a disserve?

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X