Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Hmmm Carter has always struck me as more soldier than diplomat. If anyone was to be made an ambassador it would be Daniel.
    Oh, fer sure, but let's face it; as Sam is first and foremost a soldier, Daniel's first and foremost an archeologist. Both of them have learned to be good diplomats, IMO.

Actually, just as Daniel has gotten away from geeky stuff and archeological stuff and become more... erm... gung-ho? so, too, might Sam in season nine(especially since AT might require a little less gung-ho-ho-ho-ing ).

hrh36 if you do happen to find anything in your scrounging, don't hesitate to inform us! (spoiler tags if nessacary of course. We don't want Gracie going into relapse )
    Oh, yes. Have pity on my poor addicted soul. Season eight's been great without the spoilers, but it's been a struggle not to peek.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Has anyone read any spoilers about the role of the Tok'ra in season 9? I know some of you have been speculating that Sam might be with them during her absence, but are they even going to be involved next season? I just have a feeling that we won't see much more of them,
      Spoiler:
      especially now that Jacob's gone.
      It seems like the writers have been phasing them out the last year. I can't remember this for sure, but was Jacob's appearance in Reckoning the first Tok'ra sighting this season?

NC

Comment

Still more highlights from Season 6

Screen caps and quotes from Redemption

Rodney: “I always wanted to be a pianist.”

Sam: “Excuse me?”
        Rodney: “A concert pianist --- you know, a guy who plays the piano in front of lots of people?”
        Sam: “Right.”
        Rodney: “What did you think I said? “

Sam: “Never mind.”

Rodney: “That means you don't hate me.”

Sam: “Maybe ... too bad for you.”
        Rodney: “Why?”

Sam: “I was more attracted to you when I did.”

NC

Comment

I posted this on a Sam Whumpers group but got no response, so I thought I'd bring it over here.

I was reading about post traumatic stress disorder and I came across this UN Peacekeeper veteran's site and an interesting tidbit about bulletproofing:

Before explaining this further, I would like to point out to anyone who is familiar with the US Army's Bulletproofing program that this is the portion of the whole puzzle their program focuses on.

They reduce the chance of their soldiers having PTSD by teaching them what to expect. This reduces the chance they will allow stress to build when confronted by the signs of high stress. The concept is to keep the stress below the threshold which triggers PTSD. It will fail when, independent of how the conscious reacts, there is sufficient stress generated in the subconscious to trigger PTSD.
          I was thinking that, since women don't usually get to do the front-line combat stuff Sam obvoiusly does, perhaps she was part of a secret volonteer program to see if women actually can survive and thrive in the front line environment.

So, how do you imagine Sam's "bulletproofing" sessions to have been?
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            LOL!

The actors sure can be real troopers sometimes!

Watching this scene in the episode Descent - it's not a very long scene (if you take out the cutaways to Jacob) - and yet I think the actors went through a tremendous amount of cold and wet (and spluttering) for those few seconds and minutes of screen time!
            This reminded me of some high praise for Amanda from one of the producers:
            "She's out there in the wind, the rain and the mud without a murmur. She's always a trouper." John Smith quoted from The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2.

And I believe that RDA, himself, talks about the dedication and the difficulty of shooting that whole underwater scene with Amanda somewhere on DVD (help ... anyone remember where?) and PDL may also be praising the actors on the audio commentary for Descent. Can you imagine how hard it is to remember your lines when you're in the middle of choking and probably chilled from the water too? Oops, Uber ... just thought of something ... I wonder if Jack's line about shrinkage was an RDA ad-lib?!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Rename that Episode:

Solitudes

"Damn, my butt is frozen!"
              I was thinking more along the line of "Jacksicle" or, when they're lying next to each other at the very end: "Twinsicles"!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                Full Circle screen caps

Skaara asks Jack if he and Sam are coming to his wedding together. To which Jack responds "As in?"

And Sam answers "As friends going to a wedding." Jack, obviously relieved, says "Yes, sure. Jonas?" and escapes.

The rest of the pictures are of Amanda and Alexis' reactions after Jack leaves. I really liked the smile they share at the end.

NC
                NearlyCircular - great scenes! Love the pics - and the dialogue!
                (Although I'm still confused by Jack calling 'Jonas' at the end there)

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                  Still more highlights from Season 6

Screen caps and quotes from Redemption

Rodney: “I always wanted to be a pianist.”

Sam: “Excuse me?”
                  Rodney: “A concert pianist --- you know, a guy who plays the piano in front of lots of people?”
                  Sam: “Right.”
                  Rodney: “What did you think I said? “

Sam: “Never mind.”

Rodney: “That means you don't hate me.”

Sam: “Maybe ... too bad for you.”
                  Rodney: “Why?”

Sam: “I was more attracted to you when I did.” NC
                  LOL! I thought that AT and Hewlett did a great job with these scenes! Loved the humor - loved the fact that Sam was written as keeping her cool - and her sense of perspective - she didn't just lash back at him in anger... she was written (and played by AT) as tolerating McKay without needing to publically embarrass him- or fight for who's 'top dog'. I also like the way they ended it with that last scene in the hallway. Sam was allowed to stretch beyond the boundaries normally written for her. Love her smile!
                  NC - All of these wonderful screen caps and dialogue passages definitely deserve some hi-octane blue jello!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    For those of you who haven't read Astro's story 'What will it take', I highly suggest you do so. I just finished it this morning.

I'd definitely give it five blue jello's.

ForeverSG1
                    This is AstroG's Stargate novel ... and what a tale she weaves ... I have to agree, if you haven't yet read What Will It Take ... find a cozy chair, several hours/or couple days of free time, and hot chocolate or a hot toddy, and treat yourself to some of the finest fanfic writing on the web!

MajorSam has told us to go vote beginning March 14, and I know I want to nominate this story for whatever category available ... Sky would know better I guess ... is there a category for long, long fic?!

Also, I don't mean to lessen the efforts of all other writers on this thread - each one has some amazing fic and such great and clever interpretations of Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c. Blue jello and good luck to all!!

BTW, did anyone ever notice that blue jello really looks like the shimmering event horizon of the Stargate?! I was watching an episode tonight and I thought to myself - that's why Sam gravitates to the blue jello - it's a subconscious pull - she's really thinking of going through the Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      I wasn't real thrilled with Sam in 2010. In that one part, where Joe's saying he won't let Sam do this or that (Joe was going to hand over the GDO I think?), I wanted Sam to jump in and be bothered that things were being decided for her, while she's in the blasted room. I don't know... maybe she just let it slide, knowing that she was going to do just what she wanted anyway...

Sally
                      Yes! I was thinking what happened to our Sam in 10 years. did the Aschen vaccine make her a doormat?

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        I posted this on a Sam Whumpers group but got no response, so I thought I'd bring it over here.

I was reading about post traumatic stress disorder and I came across this UN Peacekeeper veteran's site and an interesting tidbit about bulletproofing:

I was thinking that, since women don't usually get to do the front-line combat stuff Sam obvoiusly does, perhaps she was part of a secret volonteer program to see if women actually can survive and thrive in the front line environment.

So, how do you imagine Sam's "bulletproofing" sessions to have been?

i was trying to think of a response but, well i was sorta hanging back to see if someone spoke up on what the bullet proofing was

what to they do? 'capture' them and lock them up and whump them to get htem used to it????

I know they train with live rounds at the end of basic to get folks used to it
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          This is AstroG's Stargate novel ... and what a tale she weaves ... I have to agree, if you haven't yet read What Will It Take ... find a cozy chair, several hours/or couple days of free time, and hot chocolate or a hot toddy, and treat yourself to some of the finest fanfic writing on the web!

MajorSam has told us to go vote beginning March 14, and I know I want to nominate this story for whatever category available ... Sky would know better I guess ... is there a category for long, long fic?!
                          Errr... yeah... that fic 'took on' a life of it's own . And, just a note for those who haven't had a chance to check it out, I think the voting actually *ends* today (March 9) click here for the schedule. But even if you didn't get a chance to vote, the list of nominated stories makes a wonderful reading list!

BTW, did anyone ever notice that blue jello really looks like the shimmering event horizon of the Stargate?! I was watching an episode tonight and I thought to myself - that's why Sam gravitates to the blue jello - it's a subconscious pull - she's really thinking of going through the Stargate!
                          Hmmm... I like that idea, Chopingal... Scientist!Sam and Explorer!Sam... drawn to the event horizon... and musing over blue jello...

Comment

what? in the sg1 awards?

well, if the story is over 50,000 words then it qualifies for novel. it could also be romance (i think), drama, adventure, possibly team or sam fic (i can't recall if it was teamy or if it was purely sam focussed)

most stories out there can fit in more than one category. i would suggest that you simply pick one and then the author can choose

bear in mind that i'm not on the awards team anymore so i don' tknow how things have changed since last year, but in the past, people nom authors, and those authors can choose to keep the noms or not to play (some choose that option)

also in the past, each story can only be on the overall ballot three times....so theoretically one single story could be nominated and go to the ballots for best adv, novel and drama all at the same time

I would say, please nominate stuff. if you have a favorite fic, then put it forth. sometimes that's the only feedback authors get.

In the past, people have remarked 'gee, it's all daniel fic' or 'geez, it's all sam/jack fic'....well the one way to combat this is to nominate stuff. the more people that play, the more representative the nominations are

and, going by the past, don't forget the 'little characters'...i'm saying if you read any teal'c, jonas or sam fic, NOMINATE it. daniel and jack are always well representated, but these other three sometimes barely squeak by. so please, seek out your favorite fic and nominate it
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              i was trying to think of a response but, well i was sorta hanging back to see if someone spoke up on what the bullet proofing was

what to they do? 'capture' them and lock them up and whump them to get htem used to it????
                              I have heard of the military doing this... and that they've been 'called to task' for letting it get a bit too 'real' in the past. Don't know how far they go today, however.... we live in a world today that usually doesn't allow such things. Also, thinking about how the Stargate program evolved... *whatever* course they had Sam go through would never have envisioned what SG-1 went through off-world... between the Goa'uld snakings, ribbon-devices and pain-sticks... and the Replicator mind-invasions and the Entity 'mental take-over' and such...! I suppose they now need to create a special bullet-proofing course for new SGC trainees...based on what the early teams went through.

Comment

Here's another of my favorite shots from Season 6

Photo from the Official Amanda Tapping website

Comment

Working...
                                X