No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To continue our discussion of which writers seem to do a better job of presenting Sam than others, especially lately, I compiled a list of the writers in seasons 6-8
    Season 6

Redemption 1 and 2 - Robert C. Cooper (RCC)
    Descent – Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie (JM,PM)
    Frozen – RCC
    Nightwalkers – JM, PM
    Abyss – Brad Wright (BW)
    Shadow Play – JM, PM
    The Other Guys – Damian Kindler (DK)
    Allegiance – Peter DeLuise (PDL)
    Cure – DK
    Prometheus – JM, PM
    Unnatural Selection – BW
    Sight Unseen – DK, Ron Wilkerson (RW)
    Smoke and Mirrors – Katharyn Powers, JM, PM
    Paradise Lost – RCC
    Metamorphosis – James Tichenor, Jaqueline Samuda (Nirrti)
    Forsaken – DK
    The Changeling – Chris Judge (CJ) and BW
    Memento – DK
    Prophecy – JM, PM
    Full Circle – RCC

Season 7

Fallen – RCC
    Homecoming – JM, PM
    Fragile Balance – DK
    Orpheus – PDL
    Revisions – JM, PM
    Lifeboat – BW
    Enemy Mine – PDL
    Space Race – DK
    Avenger 2.0 – JM, PM
    Birthright – CJ
    Evolution 1 – DK, Michael Shanks (MS)
    Evolution 2 – DK, PDL
    Grace – DK
    Fallout – JM, PM
    Chimera – RCC, DK
    Death Knell – PDL
    Heroes 1 and 2 - RCC
    Resurrection – MS
    Inauguration – JM, PM
    Lost City 1 and 2 – BW, RCC

Season 8

New Order 1 – JM, PM
    New Order 2 – RCC
    Lockdown – JM, PM
    Zero Hour – RCC
    Icon – DK
    Affinity – PDL
    Covenant – RW, RCC
    Sacrifices – CJ
    Endgame – JM, PM
    Gemini – PDL
    Prometheus Unbound – DK
    It’s Good to Be King – JM, PM
    Full Alert – JM, PM
    Citizen Joe – RCC, DK
    Reckoning 1 and 2 – DK
    Threads – RCC
    Moebius 1- JM, PM
    Moebius 2 - RCC

It seems to me that in the last few seasons, Joe Mallozi and Paul Mullie have written Sam fairly well, and Brad Wright continues to do so, although he hasn't written many episodes. Damian Kindler did a great job of writing Sam when she actually did have a major concussion. On the other hand, I have to agree that RCC and PDL have managed to turn Sam's personal life into a badly written soap opera.

NC

Comment

rename the eps:

Metamorphosis - Cleanup on Aisle 5!!!
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        rename the eps:

Metamorphosis - Cleanup on Aisle 5!!!
        Okay - I can see that my "new name" for Beneath the Surface was too serious...

How about Sunny Side Up? (I know, cheesy. But give me a break - after the manips I did on the J/S shippy thread, my creativity gene is on hiatus...)

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          How about: "Take this job and shove it"
          Or, Take this Job and Shovel it?
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Okay - I can see that my "new name" for Beneath the Surface was too serious...

How about Sunny Side Up? (I know, cheesy. But give me a break - after the manips I did on the J/S shippy thread, my creativity gene is on hiatus...)

how many manips have you done? I've only seen one or two! I like the name, lol, I had some of them for breakfast Sunday.. mmm...

and I just noticed your location! "On your six" ...

I'm afraid my mind has definately gone to gutterland again... *runs off to write some Sam/Jack romance drivel *

Was thinking about Amanda, and Directing today... decided to post this manip I found ages ago:

OOH, and just remembered, got a pic of Amanda's chair ( )when I was on Moebius set...

The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

let's start with a particular writer and how he does sam. Now, let's bear in mind, no personal digs against the writers ok? I certainly don't care for or agree with some of what these boys have done, but we can't cross the line from 'i don't like it' to 'XX blows man!!'

let's pick on damien first

The Other Guys – Damian Kindler (DK) - his first script. it's rather a marty sue type of story. geek does good. geek rescues heroes, geek gets to snog sam. I really have no issue with it when i thought that the whole thing was felger's dream...but when it was revealed that only the last part was, it lost a little for me just because all of the characters were a bit off...and so was sam even though she wasn't really prominent

Cure – DK - i thought the cure was ok though. i loved the sam/jack tension over the tok'ra and such. there was some good mythology in it with egeria and an interesting moral dilemma...is it right to kill one sentient race to preserve another?

Sight Unseen – DK, Ron Wilkerson (RW) - then there's this one. some cute sam and jonas scenes but all in all, just how 'good' could invisible aliens be??? it's another eps that is just a little too off to have been real

Forsaken – DK - i actually liked this one, to a certain extent. the sam/aiden parts were good, as was the aliens

Memento – DK - this one also had some good parts for sam. of course, it also is in the line of 'let's totally muck with the society and just gloss over the consequences. in this case, the worshippers of the ex-goa'uld were a very underground sect, hiding from all. and here comes sg-1, exposing that those very same religious fanatics are actually right, there were once 'gods' there which will surely tilt the balance of power (a present day situation could be if somene found the real ark of the covenant and had 'proof' that the bible was history not just myth - not going to start a religious debate here, just using an example. imagine how that would effect the world's religions if we all of a sudden had proof that one of them was based in reality, proof that the others lacked.)

Fragile Balance – DK - another fanboy eps. i mean, how many fanfic are out there with sg-1 turned into children??? the thing is, this one pulled it off. it was great and one that i enjoyed...largely because the balance between fantastical and 'reality' was maintained

Space Race – DK - i also enjoyed this one...but i never really took it seriously. like Other guys, i took it as a lark even though it is rather clicheish in the 'win a race to get the prize'

Evolution 1 – DK, Michael Shanks (MS) - well, my pesonal preferences show through. i like the sam parts much more than i did the daniel parts...partly because the daniel parts suffered from one huge honkin plot hole....daniel knew of a way to get out of the hut but just hung around for a few days to get tortured???? That hole ruined most of it for me (well that and the massive panama conifer rain forest and 3 rented banana trees...but that's not damien's fault)

Evolution 2 – DK, PDL - the same as above. but i did love the sam/dad/jacob/bratac bits. my other real quibble is, sam's injuries didn't match up with how the kull hit her...again not damien's fault

Grace – DK - he can write concussions well . sam's odd behavior is explained because we never know what parts are real and what is jsut in her head. and there is a depth to the eps that i enjoyed. the metaphores and symbols are really good

Chimera – RCC, DK - you know, my ONE big issue with this is the huge honkin plot hole that pete fell into. how in the heck did he just happen on the stakeout? have these boys never been to colorado springs? it's not tiny burg, it is a large city. It would be the equivalent of just happening to stumble over the stake out in the middle of new york city.
              the need to get pete in the line of fire resulted in a clumsy plot hole,and it's one the character never crawled out of...and that clumsy characterization honestly did more 'harm' to sam than any one of the previous 7 years of sam/jack

Icon – DK - not one that i cared for in any way. just a re-write of a WW2 movie. it had plot holes galore and if i was supposed to give a dang about the aliens, i really needed to get to know them first. i never did so i didn't care who won. and i knew that since ms' name is in the titles, he'd be back. as to sam....well she was there but...she was just there

Avatar – DK - there were some great sam/teal'c bits even though this was a daniel/teal'c eps. there ws some good tension and a great stand off at the end...but the one saving grace for this one is that it was again set outside of reality. and since things were all in teal'c's head, any off characterizations can be attributed to that

Prometheus Unbound – DK - umm, well no remarks in regards to sam since she's not even in this one but....this is just american pie without the blatant sex. i'm obviously a few decades above the intended demographic for this

Citizen Joe – RCC, DK - this one was also fun in the way that it's not real. damien does good non-reality episodes...which this is. the sam bits in the end are fun and there are some good digs (many of which could have been taken right off this - or any other- forum) however, if i try to fit CJ into the show's continuity, i take issue with it alledgedly spanning 7 years and we just now get a peek of it. that lapse does take some from its credibility

Reckoning 1 and 2 – DK - these i did enjoy. they were great continuity and drama. i loved the sam bits, along with the RC bits. sam acted like sam in this one. she had some great lines and good moments. replicarter was scarily evil and my one regret is her 'final' fate.
              this one was definitely a keeper for me

so, my opinion on DK writing sam. he CAN do it. however his forte seems to be quirky eps that take our heroes a bit outside of the norm. and quirky can be fun....but he just needs a good beta and someone to point out and close up those irritating little plot holes. as it stands, he's rather inconsistent - something that can be attributed to a hectic writing schedule
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                how many manips have you done? I've only seen one or two! I like the name, lol, I had some of them for breakfast Sunday.. mmm...

and I just noticed your location! "On your six" ...

I'm afraid my mind has definately gone to gutterland again... *runs off to write some Sam/Jack romance drivel *

Was thinking about Amanda, and Directing today... decided to post this manip I found ages ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...erectoress.jpg

OOH, and just remembered, got a pic of Amanda's chair ( )when I was on Moebius set...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tudios2029.jpg
                I love the snapshot from the set! I would also love to see more...

Regarding my manips, well there's the one I did for the Sam/Thor shipper thread (it's a joke folks, don't panic). What would Sam and Thor's child look like:
                http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/tham.jpg

There's also what I did for the Jack/Sam shipper thread (If you're offended by the mere mention of the Sam/Jack dynamic you may not be interested):
                Movie Themed:
                Casablanca http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/...a_sj_small.jpg
                Titanic http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/titanic_jacksam.jpg
                Ghost http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/ghost7.jpg

Jack/Sam in the corridor at the SGC http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/samandjack_sgc1.jpg
                Jack/Sam, uh, making out http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/screencap2218.jpg

A different look at Jack's living room wall
                http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/image2112.jpg

There's just a few...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I love the snapshot from the set! I would also love to see more...

Regarding my manips, well there's the one I did for the Sam/Thor shipper thread (it's a joke folks, don't panic). What would Sam and Thor's child look like:
                  http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/tham.jpg

There's also what I did for the Jack/Sam shipper thread (If you're offended by the mere mention of the Sam/Jack dynamic you may not be interested):
                  Movie Themed:
                  Casablanca http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/...a_sj_small.jpg
                  Titanic http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/titanic_jacksam.jpg
                  Ghost http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/ghost7.jpg

Jack/Sam in the corridor at the SGC http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/samandjack_sgc1.jpg
                  Jack/Sam, uh, making out http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/screencap2218.jpg

A different look at Jack's living room wall
                  http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/image2112.jpg

There's just a few...

I LOVE THEM!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEH!!!!! The Sam/Thor one I admit will haunt my dreams forever.. but otherwise I adore EVERY single one! they're brilliant, gorgeous, wonderful!!!!!

*hops around in happyness after pics*

*thing won't let me rep you*

BLUE AND ORANGE JELLO!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                    It's probably off topic to talk about Weir in this thread, but it's hard to avoid comparing her to the other lead female in the Stargate world, Samantha Carter, and she does come up short. I think most of the problem is once again, the way she's been written. I really didn't know what to expect when the show started, but I guess I thought she'd play more of an active role. I read an interview with Torri saying that she often only puts in a couple of days a week. It makes sense in a way, since she's playing Hammond's role, heading up Atlantis, but not going on missions. I'd like to see the writers give her a chance to show what she can do. Give her some funny lines, give her some angst, make us care about her! The writers made us feel involved with all 4 members of SG1 from the first few episodes, and I don't think they've done that with Weir. The last few episodes have made me hope that will change, and maybe the rest of the season will convince me.

NC
                    You're right about any Weir talk being OT - I've never discussed Weir on any thread except I think I mentioned once that I didn't know why the first Weir didn't stick around...

I think my point though is see how Singularity is 1st season material... and it shows right off the bat the depth of the character Samantha Carter and the actress Amanda Tapping. Using Singularity as a basis of thought, a case study, we can truly see how multifaceted Carter/Tapping is and I contrasted her with what I so far find to be a weak 2 dimensional character, Weir.

Did anyone like my photo montage from Singularity??? I've thought of doing that before - to have a photo montage of episodes based on a specific theme like that.

I guess I could have just typed it out - but you have to actually see the images to get a full idea of the expressions and emotions I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

I LOVE THEM!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEH!!!!! The Sam/Thor one I admit will haunt my dreams forever.. but otherwise I adore EVERY single one! they're brilliant, gorgeous, wonderful!!!!!

*hops around in happyness after pics*

*thing won't let me rep you*

BLUE AND ORANGE JELLO!
                      What??? You have a problem with Thor/Sam's oldest child, THAM???

Man, I'm in a silly mood...must be the sinus medication I just took...

Comment

What??? You have a problem with Thor/Sam's oldest child, THAM???

Man, I'm in a silly mood...must be the sinus medication I just took...

Tham...

THAM!?!?!

*laughs hysterically maniacally out of mind*

THAAAM HAHAHAAAA *when heart attack starts coming on, decides should stop laughing, and attempts to do so*

*wipes tears from eyes*

THAM!!! *dies again*

*comes back to life*

Ok... I'm done... im good... Tham!!! *trips*

It's like... Thor/Sam!! or Sam with a lisp!! *images of Amanda's wee baby going "Mommy'th Tham!" I'll never be able to look at Lisps again!!! (Never be able to hear lisps again?)

THAM!!!

Wow... I don't think you're the only one on medication tonite...

*backs away slowly before I hurt anyone*

Apologies to everyone for my major lack of sleep/giddyness/crazyness of this night!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Edit:
                          I really think Brad Wright does the best in showing the
                          softer personal side of Sam. I thought 2010 was wonderful
                          at showing the personal side of Sam without making her
                          appear weak or unable to make clear, concise decisions.

ForeverSG1
                          I wasn't real thrilled with Sam in 2010. In that one part, where Joe's saying he won't let Sam do this or that (Joe was going to hand over the GDO I think?), I wanted Sam to jump in and be bothered that things were being decided for her, while she's in the blasted room. I don't know... maybe she just let it slide, knowing that she was going to do just what she wanted anyway...

The Big Baby Day is getting closer and closer...

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fan
                            hey guys I just started a thread for the countdown of amanda's baby!! Please go and have a look, lol- it's a lil hang out for those of us who are giddy at the thought of a mini- Amanda!!
                            Where's the thread at?

Countdown: 8 Days! (more or less)

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I've given a little bit of thought to this as well as something that's been bothering me about Atlantis. More specifically, Elizabeth Weir and what my problem is with her (as opposed to the first Elizabeth Weir, who I thought was great). My problem with Weir is quite frankly, she isn't Sam - she doesn't emote like Sam, she doesn't have a sense of humor like Sam and she doesn't seem to have the depth of Sam.

<snipped WONDERFUL pictorial>

With Weir, I haven't seen much emoting at all... I wish she were more like Sam - a commanding presence with a softer side...
                              This is very interesting that you'd bring up Weir. Just today, my mom was telling me she couldn't get an interest up to watch Atlantis. I've never watched it, which started with a bit of anger towards the writers and seems to have stayed.

When I first watched Stargate, I had very little interest going in. I wasn't a fan of the movie (liked the first half, didn't the second), wasn't a real fan of RDA (I was mentally ill then), and had no idea who the rest of the cast was. I only watched the first ep (premier) because it was on either before or after Poltergeist the Legacy. But with THE first ep, I was immediately drawn in. I was attracted to an older RDA, liked the rest of the cast, and liked the premise of this show. With the second ep, I started leaning towards Sam being my fave. The third ep she became my fave. The fourth ep I officially became a shipper. The thing is, I felt pulled in immediately by the show and it's wonderful cast.

Getting back on the topic of Weir... I've only seen her in New Order(s), and what I saw didn't pull me in. I really like the original Weir (Jessica Steen), but I was open enough to give another actress a try. And I felt no spark. As much as I want a hunk actor to drool over (RDA!), for me to truly get into a show, I need a female character to live through. And I got that with Sam/Amanda in spades.

Long story short (too late); I think I'm not missing anything by missing Atlantis.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Ok...here's my first stab at the new game

Rename That Episode - "Sight Unseen"

"Now you see 'em...now you don't"
                                Oh, I love games like this.

'Sight Unseen' becomes -

'Giant Window Suckers Ate My Car'

Sally