• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Very true but I also recall reading an chat with AT where someone asked
    if Sam had to make the decision of being a scientist or moving up within
    the USAF, which would she choose?

AT's response was that she felt Sam would always choose the science, as
    that's her passion. She is very loyal to the military but science is what drives
    Sam.

ForeverSG1
    Interesting. I can believe that. At this point, I don't see why it would have to be a choice, but yes, she is probably first and foremost a scientist. It may have been that the military has given her the most opportunities in that area so far,so it hasn't been a question. I think I've said this before, but I'd hate to see her leave the AF. In the sort term it could make for some interesting issues for the show (such as Sam adapting to being a civilian)--but in the long term I just don't see it as a positive move for the character.

Comment

I really hope Sam is in command in Season 9. I read a interview with Amanda Tapping before Season 9 was confirmed and Ben Browder added that if there would be a S9 she was really looking forward to playing Sam in charge. That is one of the main reasons why i still have hope she will be in charge on her return. She also said that she would always want to be a part of Stargate if it continues, at least in some capacity, so even if she was to leave, i think we would still see her from time to time.
      Other reasons why i am hopefull is because of Joe's post - that they will work something out - I took that as whoever is put in charge - Mitchell or Carter, it would not look bad for the character who isn't in charge. That and the fact that i dont believe that TPTB would throw a character on SG1 and place him in charge of sg1 over a character who already was there and will still be in there for a majority of the episodes. I also think that it would look really bad for them, If Amanda Tapping was going to be in the first 5 episodes i dont think there would have been any question as to who would be in charge. It may look like the are punishing her for being pregnant and having a baby.
      I also think it would be easier for the fans to connect to Mitchell and Browder - by not already have something against him going into the show, not making him the lead (a Farscape Actor replaces the SG1 Actor as the one in charge, I could see the uproar from long time fans because of this).
      I also read the Browder wants to contribute to the show, not be treated as the Leading man over everyone else.
      That's why i still have hope. The decision has already been made though, we will find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        I know it's not an aspect most of us want too see, Sam stepping away from her commanding position or SG-1, but I really think of Sam as a scientist first and foremost. She may love her military career, but in the end the military side of it is just that... a job.
        ForeverSG1
        From the way they developed Sam's character in the early years, I thought that Sam's life aspiration was to be an astronaut.. and the Air Force and astrophysics were the track to get there. As Deepspace pointed out above, in Secrets Jacob appears to be under the same impression (he just doesn't know about the Stargate program and that she's already travelling across time and space!). I really liked that facet of Sam Carter - astronaut aspirations... a desire to explore space, new planets, new stars... And I always saw that as the core of what she was - an astronaut at heart. spoilers for threads
        Spoiler:
        And that's why one of the lines in Threads has really been bugging me - it's when Jacob says 'You joined the Air Force because of me'... That... just pissed me off. To trivialize her life's aspirations with a line like that! And I'm not pissed at Jacob, I'm pissed at the writers who seem to have forgotten what they wrote in Secrets. That was another time when Jacob was dying, but he didn't minimize her military career - no, he tried to help her reach her dreams of exploring space (best of intentions, but not the way that Sam wanted to get there).

Now I know that it's just one little line... and I *love* the character of Jacob... but that line still pisses me off. Especially as it seems like the writers were just trying to create an opening to allow Sam to quit SG-1 and/or the military just so they could remove the regulations as an obstacle to Sam/Jack ship (which I could go for if they set it up without sacrificing the core aspects of these wonderful characters).

Argh!

As for Season 9... it's all about what they choose to include... or not include - just like with Daniel not visiting Sam when he was ascended... . Even without showing MS, they could have had Sam mumbling to him (and just not showing him) when she was getting soggy there near the end of Meta. Afterwards, they could have had a short Sam-Teal'c moment where Sam says something like... 'I think I dreamed Daniel was there..' and Teal'c looks serious and solemnly assures her 'He was.' And Jonas just looks puzzled.

So for Season 9, I hope that they are going to do a great job for Sam. Even with the challenge of AT's reduced schedule, there are so many wonderful possibilities.

When Season 9 was announced along with AT's prenancy and that she'd have to miss the first few episodes, I got my hopes up that they would write her absence in some way similar to how they handled Michael Shank's departure at the end of Season 6 - Daniel was written as a hero - sacrificing himself for the people of another planet... and then he Ascends! Wow! What a tribute to his character! And then they make a point of showing how they are 'going through' new replacements... but no one measures up... no one can take his place. Jonas is only initially accepted onto the team because Jack doesn't want to have a Russian team member. And then when Daniel came back - it was because he single-handedly took on Anubis! Welcome back, Dude!!

So... I was hoping... and kind of expecting that they would do something great for AT's absence. Write some storyline that had heroic Sam actions and that they would be missing her over the episodes that AT is gone. I was looking forward to hearing some great lines and references to how irreplaceable Sam is (like we had for Daniel).

But the spoilers coming out for Season 9
        Spoiler:
        do not even hint at anything like this. Instead, they seem to be setting things up so that Sam isn't even missed (except by Sam Fans). Maybe there will be a line here or there about what she's doing...!? I am discouraged that it sounds like 'she just transfers out.' I was hoping for something *cool*... something scifi... something fun and exciting (even though we wouldn't get to see it... I'm ok with that).

Now I realize that AT's priorities are different... a new baby on the way - her priorities have to change. And AT has been so wonderful over the years, that I can't wish her anything but health and happiness!

I just *hate* the idea that the character of Sam Carter might just 'peter out'... especially after they took SC down the paths that they did in Seasons 7&8... argh!

OK, that was some venting... and believe it or not, I did try to censor and limit my griping.

I want to say thanks again to everyone on this thread. So many of you are so insightful and thoughtful. I love the balance on this thread - how we can praise sometimes, gripe other times, be silly at other times, be serious a little later. I think that the overall consensus on the basic positive aspects of Sam Carter are what has given me hope over the past few months. Even when I think they are changing the character of Carter drastically, this thread has made me see the positive sides of things. Thanks to each and every one of you!

And special thanks and warm thoughts to AT as she approaches the last few days and weeks of her pregnancy!
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 March 2005, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Sam's status

... I do think that we need to be prepared to accept the fact that Amanda my NOT want to do something. She may decide that she likes cutting back her time. She may like being a mommy and i definitely think that her career is now #2 in her life (or maybe 3 behind Alan)...if she makes a choice to leave after the end of s9, or if she decides that she's only going to work a few hours a day and become more like Jack was in the recent seasons, that we accept her choice.

Her life comes first and that is far more important than this show ever will be. If she chooses to limit her involvement...then we're going to cherish the Sam moments that we get and leave it at that
          Sky

First of all, thanks for some practical suggestions on how to voice our opinions in favor of portraying Sam favorably in S9. I plan to act on them.

More importantly, though, you name what I've been thinking about lately. The amount of time given to portraying a lead character like Sam Carter seems overwhelming. AT has certainly gone on record talking about her dedication and devotion to the franchise and Sam for the past eight seasons. Her day often started before sunrise and ended hours later as the sun was setting. Somehow, she was able to do this with the support of her wonderful husband and family. Having a first baby will definitely change all that. Priorities are shifting ...

Sam may be superwoman on the show; AT, as a new momma, cannot be expected to be superwoman in her private life. I think she wants to try to see just what she is capable of doing because she has this amazing loyalty and love for her fans. So, yes, she is coming back for 15/20; but only time will tell how many hours she'll be able to commit to the season.

I am just so grateful for what we've had to enjoy these past eight years. Here was a young, unknown actor being cast next to RDA and not only did she make Sam Carter come alive, she provided a much needed role model for women of all ages. I don't watch much TV, but Amanda had me hooked from the start because of her beauty, brains, and outstanding talent. And, like many of us on this thread, I was so invested in both the character and the actor that I found myself being defensive of her. This has never happened in my whole life, and probably never again. She felt like one of the family!

I would truly love to see the Sam Carter of the early seasons ... full of spit and spirit ... but I may have to acknowledge that the Sam Carter I will now see may be a more mature, less action-oriented, player. As long as she is written well (by that I mean that there is a respect for the character), then it should not matter.

Amanda has had one fantastic ride up to now (even with some bumps in the road in the later seasons). I will be watching her as long as she's up there on the screen. Sure, I got upset and impatient at some of the writing, but I never got upset at AT for doing what she was paid to do: act to the best of her ability and deliver the lines and scenes that were handed to her! She has been the consummate professional throughout. I see her taking on her new role of momma with the same dedication and care and brilliance! This baby has been her work in progress for the past nine months and now Act I is about to debut! May God bless her and her child and husband. All her fans will be standing in the wings, applauding her efforts.
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 05 March 2005, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

... OK, that was some venting... and believe it or not, I did try to censor and limit my griping.

I want to say thanks again to everyone on this thread. So many of you are so insightful and thoughtful. I love the balance on this thread - how we can praise sometimes, gripe other times, be silly at other times, be serious a little later. I think that the overall consensus on the basic positive aspects of Sam Carter are what has given me hope over the past few months. Even when I think they are changing the character of Carter drastically, this thread has made me see the positive sides of things. Thanks to each and every one of you!

And special thanks and warm thoughts to AT as she approaches the last few days and weeks of her pregnancy!
            There's a rhythm to this thread ... lots of neat things are happening ... and you, dear AstroG, are a poster who helps to keep the dance going!

Your terrific photo images and transcripts, summaries of Sky's polls, and your own very thoughtful posts have helped us maintain a respectful balance ... so, if you feel the need to do some venting ... you have earned it!!

I was feeling a bit down this week too (as you know) and just had to trust that our thread would turn me around in a positive direction ... and it has!

So much so that I feel like the Jester is starting to demand some equal time and may invade Samanda soon!

Thanks to all of you for keeping it up and keeping it fun! SAGC rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc

Hi and thanks very much for your kind post. I have not been around as much as I have been very discouraged and disappointed as to how they have portrayed Carter since mid-season 7 and my interest in SG has waned considerably because of that ... but thanks for the welcome back ... I still hang around the boards to see what folks are up to and what is going on with the show. I do not watch too often anymore ....
              Bink, I do know how strongly you felt about the change in direction of Carter's character, and I respect your way of handling the situation by not viewing regularly. But I also hope we get you back for S9!

This is solely based on my glass is half full philosophy of life ....

Comment

So now that the Season 6 Best Carter Episode poll is up, post your comments!

I voted for Nightwalkers, Unnatural Selection and Metamorphosis.

Nightwalkers - this was a Sam episode. I loved 'Sam in charge'... loved her reading Goa'uld on the laptop... lockpicking... that she figured out what the stuff in the syringes was for... and that she basically kicked-butt in the end! And... can't forget the *really cool* sunglasses! MIB!

In Unnatural Selection, I loved the part where Sam steps up and volunteers for Fifth to probe her mind. Loved the connection that she made with him. Didn't like the ending where she had to betray him... but she was following orders, and she did her duty. Tough call, though! And, of course, we all know where the seeds from this episode will lead!

Metamorphosis - because it had great Sam whumping. First she takes out the two Jaffa, but then Nirrti is 'invisible' and zats her. One of my favorite scenes is when Jack is waking up in the cells and the camera pans over to the others... AT has a *great* muzzy, bleary look on her face to show that she had just woken up from her own zat shot.

Also liked the part where Jack says: "You made it through. You’re gonna be all right."
                and Sam replies:"No sir, I don’t think I am."

--------------------

Here are the short GW summaries for the Season 6 episodes (again, for those folks like me who need a little reminder of what certain episodes were about).

REDEMPTION, PART 1 Tragedy reunites Teal'c with his son, who blames him for the death of his mother. O'Neill and Carter launch a risky plan with untested technology when Earth comes under attack by the Goa'uld. (Part 1 of 2)

REDEMPTION, Carter must find a way to save Earth from total destruction at the hands of the Goa'uld, who have turned the Stargate into a doomsday bomb. Rya'c joins his father on a mission to destroy the Goa'uld weapon. (Part 2 of 2)

DESCENT SG-1 boards an abandoned Goa'uld mothership that has mysteriously arrived in Earth's orbit, and must escape the doomed vessel when it crashes into the ocean.

FROZEN A team of scientists uncover a woman frozen in Antarctica, where the second Stargate was found. SG-1 investigates, and is infected with a mysterious disease.

NIGHTWALKERS Carter, Teal'c and Jonas investigate the death of a scientist with connections to the Goa'uld, and find a small town whose citizens harbor a dark secret.

ABYSS O'Neill is captured and tortured by the Goa'uld, and must rely on an old friend to survive.

SHADOW PLAY Jonas' people ask Earth for military aide in an impending war with their rival nations, but his former mentor offers another solution: a resistance movement ready for a coup.

THE OTHER GUYS When SG-1 is captured by the Goa'uld, a pair of scientists mount a rescue operation ... whether they're wanted or not.

ALLEGIANCE Tensions rise between the Tok'ra and rebel Jaffa at the S.G.C.'s offworld base when they are attacked by an invisible enemy.

CURE An alien world offers Earth a medicine with the power to cure any illness -- but the hidden price may be too high to pay.

PROMETHEUS A news reporter threatens to expose a top-secret military project, but when Carter and Jonas give her a tour of the X-303, they discover that she is a pawn in a much larger plot. (Part 1 of 2)

UNNATURAL SELECTION The team is called into battle unexpectedly when the Asgard homeworld is overrun by Replicators -- which have evolved into a startling new form. (Part 2 of 2)

SIGHT UNSEEN The team returns to Earth with a piece of technology that allows them to see alien creatures everywhere, and must attempt to contain the problem when it spreads beyond the base.

SMOKE AND MIRRORS Colonel O'Neill is charged with the murder of a politician, and the rest of the team must uncover a conspiracy to clear his name.

PARADISE LOST Colonel O'Neill is trapped on an alien planet with Maybourne, and must fight to stay alive as his companion becomes increasingly paranoid.

METAMORPHOSIS SG-1 attempts to save a planet's inhabitants from Nirrti's genetic experimentation, but find themselves to be her next victims.

DISCLOSURE General Hammond and the Pentagon reveal the existence of the Stargate to other world governments, and must defend the fact that the program is operated by the United States military.

FORSAKEN When the team finds a crashed ship on another planet, their efforts to help the crew effect repairs are hindered by a group of aliens.

THE CHANGELING A near-death trial causes Teal'c to imagine his life as very different from the one he knows, where he is a normal person living on Earth -- until he can no longer distinguish reality.

MEMENTO Prometheus is forced to land on an alien world, where the local Stargate is the team's only chance of returning home -- though the local population believe the gate to be a myth.

PROPHECY The team finds an impoverished world enslaved by a Goa'uld underlord, but their plans to free it may be compromised when Jonas experiences unexplained visions of the future.

FULL CIRCLE SG-1 is called to defend the people of Abydos from the Goa'uld once again when they learn that Anubis, in search of a powerful device, is about to attack.
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 March 2005, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  I am just so grateful for what we've had to enjoy these past eight years. Here was a young, unknown actor being cast next to RDA and not only did she make Sam Carter come alive, she provided a much needed role model for women of all ages. I don't watch much TV, but
                  Amanda had me hooked from the start because of her beauty, brains, and outstanding talent.
                  And, like many of us on this thread, I was so invested in both the character and the actor that I found myself being defensive of her. This has never happened in my whole life, and probably never again. She felt like one of the family!

I would truly love to see the Sam Carter of the early seasons ... full of spit and spirit ... but I may have to acknowledge that the Sam Carter I will now see may be a more mature, less action-oriented, player. As long as she is written well (by that I mean that there is a respect for the character), then it should not matter.

Amanda has had one fantastic ride up to now (even with some bumps in the road in the later seasons). I will be watching her as long as she's up there on the screen. Sure, I got upset and impatient at some of the writing, but I never got upset at AT for doing what she was paid to do: act to the best of her ability and deliver the lines and scenes that were handed to her!
                  She has been the consummate professional throughout.

I see her taking on her new role of momma with the same dedication and care and brilliance! This baby has been her work in progress for the past nine months and now Act I is about to debut! May God bless her and her child and husband. All her fans will be standing in the wings, applauding her efforts.
                  Wonderful post, ChopinGal!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    I'm not going to start writing letters asking for the writers to put Sam in charge for season9. Whatever they have decided to do for season9, they have already decided to do. It's already started filming.
                    And even if it hadn't, I don't think I have the right to tell them to do it differently, after all, it's their show. And besides, I haven't stopped watching Stargate because of the fact that Sam has been portrayed differently. She's still been in it, and that has been all that's mattered to me so far.
                    Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    I am just so grateful for what we've had to enjoy these past eight years. Here was a young, unknown actor being cast next to RDA and not only did she make Sam Carter come alive, she provided a much needed role model for women of all ages. I don't watch much TV, but Amanda had me hooked from the start because of her beauty, brains, and outstanding talent. And, like many of us on this thread, I was so invested in both the character and the actor that I found myself being defensive of her. This has never happened in my whole life, and probably never again. She felt like one of the family!

Amanda has had one fantastic ride up to now (even with some bumps in the road in the later seasons). I will be watching her as long as she's up there on the screen. Sure, I got upset and impatient at some of the writing, but I never got upset at AT for doing what she was paid to do: act to the best of her ability and deliver the lines and scenes that were handed to her! She has been the consummate professional throughout.
                    Yes! We've had a great 8 years watching a wonderful character played by a wonderful actress, and I look forward to watching her in season 9 no matter what. Unlike you, ChopinGal, I watch way too much TV, and this is the first time I've ever felt this connected to a character.

I've been unhappy at times with the way that Sam was treated by others or the way that she reacted in a given situation, but when I consider how seldom that has happened during the series, I'm astonished. Those moments have made up a very small portion of the entire series. If you think about it, Sam has played an important part in almost every episode of the series. Considering that she's one of 4 leads, that points to very balanced writing by TPTB. They do know how to spread the exposure around, so that all 4 leads get quality screen time. (except for Teal'c, but that's improved lately) So I can say that I've enjoyed watching Sam in almost every episode, even if it contained a moment when I winced, because I knew there would be a better scene coming. Because of this, I'm going to try to trust TPTB that they will continue to give us the strong character that we've come to expect.

I have to echo this astrog. I lurked for a long time before joining GW and then didn't really post at all until this thread came along. I used to watch the episodes and be pretty satisfied, until I read comments on the episode discussions. As you know, some people always look for something to complain about in an episode, and that's their right, but too often, the complaints were focused on Sam, sometimes for no apparent reason. It was just disheartening, and although I wanted to read what others thought about an episode even if their view was not the same as mine, it was hard to wade through all the venom. This thread allows us to vent when we're unhappy with an episode, but we still stay positive for the most part. Even if we disagree about something, we're mature about it and don't resort to name calling or mud slinging. Now I can read through the episode discussions and then come here, knowing that you all will restore some of my sanity.

Thanks everyone!!

NC

Comment

From the way they developed Sam's character in the early years, I thought that Sam's life aspiration was to be an astronaut.. and the Air Force and astrophysics were the track to get there. As Deepspace pointed out above, in Secrets Jacob appears to be under the same impression (he just doesn't know about the Stargate program and that she's already travelling across time and space!). I really liked that facet of Sam Carter - astronaut aspirations... a desire to explore space, new planets, new stars... And I always saw that as the core of what she was - an astronaut at heart. spoilers for threads
                      Spoiler:
                      And that's why one of the lines in Threads has really been bugging me - it's when Jacob says 'You joined the Air Force because of me'... That... just pissed me off. To trivialize her life's aspirations with a line like that! And I'm not pissed at Jacob, I'm pissed at the writers who seem to have forgotten what they wrote in Secrets. That was another time when Jacob was dying, but he didn't minimize her military career - no, he tried to help her reach her dreams of exploring space (best of intentions, but not the way that Sam wanted to get there).

Now I know that it's just one little line... and I *love* the character of Jacob... but that line still pisses me off. Especially as it seems like the writers were just trying to create an opening to allow Sam to quit SG-1 and/or the military just so they could remove the regulations as an obstacle to Sam/Jack ship (which I could go for if they set it up without sacrificing the core aspects of these wonderful characters).

Argh!
                      You know that didn't hit me at the time, but you're right. I guess I was more focused on Jacob trying to launch the J/S ship. (sorry, I couldn't resist )

When Season 9 was announced along with AT's prenancy and that she'd have to miss the first few episodes, I got my hopes up that they would write her absence in some way similar to how they handled Michael Shank's departure at the end of Season 6 - Daniel was written as a hero - sacrificing himself for the people of another planet... and then he Ascends! Wow! What a tribute to his character! And then they make a point of showing how they are 'going through' new replacements... but no one measures up... no one can take his place. Jonas is only initially accepted onto the team because Jack doesn't want to have a Russian team member. And then when Daniel came back - it was because he single-handedly took on Anubis! Welcome back, Dude!!

So... I was hoping... and kind of expecting that they would do something great for AT's absence. Write some storyline that had heroic Sam actions and that they would be missing her over the episodes that AT is gone. I was looking forward to hearing some great lines and references to how irreplaceable Sam is (like we had for Daniel).
                      That would be great! They could write something like that, and show it with flashbacks when she does return. After all, isn't that what they're supposedly doing with Ben Browder's character, inserting scenes from the past where he's been involved with the SGC?

NC

Comment

Spoiler
                        I MISS REPLICARTER SHE WAS AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by eddzc23
                          Spoiler
                          I MISS REPLICARTER SHE WAS AWESOME!
                          Fear not! Something tells me she's coming back in S9! Just like Humpty Dumpty, I bet TPTB will find a way to put her all back together again!

Comment

REDEMPTION, PART 1 I love sam and jonas moments. And the sam/mckay bits. especially the infirmary bits.
                            this was a great team episode in the fact that they all worked together.

DESCENT i just love thisone over all. the sam/jack drowning bits, sam trying to open the door. again, another good team episode

FROZEN oh the angst. and how sam, even when she knew she was feeling sick, didn't say anything

NIGHTWALKERS what is NOT to like about this one? Sam in charge, chaperoning the two aliens. her in full command of the mission. her gutsy moves at the end, injecting herself with that stuff. my only quibble, they just brushed off her second goauld possession...much li ke they did her near demise in Meta

ABYSS this is one of the first times that we see a unique characteristic of sam's...her willingness to accept 'odd bedfellows' to get the job done. thinking outside the box and teh ability to think up new allies when needed.

SHADOW PLAY umm, well this was mostly a jonas episode so i don't remmber much sam

THE OTHER GUYS when jack was getting cattle prodded, how sam yelled out 'he doesn't know anything', trying to protect her friend.

ALLEGIANCE i loved soldier sam, and scientist sam. quick thyinking under fire

CURE i loved the tension between her and jack over egeria. sam could empathize wtih the tok'ra, i think because of nearly suffering the same fate...dying/imprisoned for medical experimentation. and that comes head to head with jack's dislike of the tok'ra

PROMETHEUS more kick butt Carter. her coolness under fire with the reporter, nearly taking on the whole ship on her own, sam does die hard

UNNATURAL SELECTION another example of sam's whacked out ideas. even under pressure she's always looking for a way out, an ally to charm

SIGHT UNSEEN lol, well this one was just plain fun. and i loved the sam/jonas/hammond bits

SMOKE AND MIRRORS Sam was NOT going to quit until she cleared jack's name. now that's loyalty for you

PARADISE LOST again, more of sam's loyalty. and i love the scnes with her and teal'c. just beautiful

METAMORPHOSIS sigh...ambrosia for the angst slut that i am.
                            sam being so stoic even as she knows she's dying. again the ending is a bit odd...she's too perky...but it was good fic fodder

DISCLOSURE clip show....not much to say

FORSAKEN still more of sam's unique alliances. she tried to charm aiden to get info from him. which is perfect strategy. and whumpage, got more whumpage

THE CHANGELING fire fighter sam!! does this rock or what? and the real sam moments with teal'c were also just stellar

MEMENTO i loved seeing sam on the ship, technobabbling to save her little heart

PROPHECY this was so great. sam trying to ignore it when she was told she was going to be hurt. her scenes with jonas in the infirmary, being jonas' voice and advocate, then trying to do what she could to help her team

FULL CIRCLE umm, as a whole, this one left me a bit underwhelmed,but sam does look cute in desert cammies
                            ooh, i remember, how about her hurt feelings when she realized that both jack and teal'c had seen daniel while they were dying but she hadn't. she, the one who mourned the hardest, got the least
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think Sam is one of the best female characters on a scifi show because she's smart, not squeezed into a tight catsuit or embarrassing outfit (thinking of that awful pink outfit on one character on Andromeda, yech), and she's good at her job. As a scientist, she's A+, but I think she needs a lot more work in the leadership department as the writers tend to write her more emotionally (as if the guys aren't allowed to have emotions, oh well).

As for the command situation, if Mitchell gets the command, that's the way it works. It's the military, it's politics, etc. etc. I'm gathering Mitchell might have more soldiering experience than Sam, who spent most of her time doing scientific stuff, I believe (sorry, not an expert on b/gs)

Comment

... From the way they developed Sam's character in the early years, I thought that Sam's life aspiration was to be an astronaut.. and the Air Force and astrophysics were the track to get there. I really liked that facet of Sam Carter - astronaut aspirations... a desire to explore space, new planets, new stars... And I always saw that as the core of what she was - an astronaut at heart. spoilers for threads
                                Spoiler:

Argh!

As for Season 9... it's all about what they choose to include... or not include - just like with Daniel not visiting Sam when he was ascended... . Even without showing MS, they could have had Sam mumbling to him (and just not showing him) when she was getting soggy there near the end of Meta. Afterwards, they could have had a short Sam-Teal'c moment where Sam says something like... 'I think I dreamed Daniel was there..' and Teal'c looks serious and solemnly assures her 'He was.' And Jonas just looks puzzled.

So for Season 9, I hope that they are going to do a great job for Sam. Even with the challenge of AT's reduced schedule, there are so many wonderful possibilities.

[So... I was hoping... and kind of expecting that they would do something great for AT's absence. Write some storyline that had heroic Sam actions and that they would be missing her over the episodes that AT is gone. I was looking forward to hearing some great lines and references to how irreplaceable Sam is (like we had for Daniel).

But the spoilers coming out for Season 9
                                Spoiler:
                                do not even hint at anything like this. Instead, they seem to be setting things up so that Sam isn't even missed (except by Sam Fans). Maybe there will be a line here or there about what she's doing...!? I am discouraged that it sounds like 'she just transfers out.' I was hoping for something *cool*... something scifi... something fun and exciting (even though we wouldn't get to see it... I'm ok with that).

I felt exactly like you about the certain lines in Threads that don't seem to ring true from what we know about Sam Carter's desire to be an astronaut.

And, wow ... having Daniel make an appearance (real or imagined) at end of Metamorphosis would have been so right on! (I also felt it wasn't fair to Sam to be left out of the visions.) We'll just have to write a new tag fic for that episode - and give Sky some competition.

Oops - I deleted the infamous "peter out" above but still LOL about your, ahem, interesting choice of words! Including her "getting soggy" in Metamorphosis!

Comment

Working...
                                X