No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've already done what Skydiver suggested, and I though I'd post an example (please do not copy word for word) of the letter I sent to the writers.

---

Dear Sirs,

I wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed Stargate: SG1 (and Stargate Atlantis) and respect tremendously the work that you have done with the show. Smart, fun, well written science fiction on television is often hard to maintain and the upcoming ninth season of SG1 surely is a tribute to the entire cast and crew of the show.

I am concerned however, about some rumors going around about the story arc of Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter. While I am aware that a great many series regulars are being added to both shows in the next season, I will admit to being quite distressed over spoilers suggesting that one of those regulars will replace Carter in command of SG1. I have been involved both with women in the military, and several relatives involved with women in the sciences. Carter is a powerful role model (or has been over the years), and I was very disappointed that season eight did not an opportunity to explore her position in command.

I look forward to seeing Amanda Tapping in the role again once her child is born and hope to have many more years both enjoying her performance, and your program.

Respectfully,

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Hi Bink

What a nice surprise to find you posting here after some of our really good back-and-forths months ago at the other Sam-oriented threads. I wasn't sure you were still around. Portraying Sam as the competent and three-dimensional character she is was always a theme you addressed well. And, once again, your wise words are good to hear, especially on this thread which has some of the most loyal and supportive fans of the character.

I'll admit that I've dragged a bit this past week around my supposedly dashed expectations for a heroic arc for Sam as she's being written out of first five episodes of S9. And the GW news release this week mentions nothing about the reason for her being off base. However, as someone has mentioned already, TPTB know that Sam and Jack being absent are on many fans' minds and nothing like keeping up the suspense to draw in an even bigger viewing audience for those first few shows. They won't be revealing a lot, I'm sure.

In the meantime, AT goes into production with her biggest role yet, motherhood, and adjusts to all that entails for the next couple months. Somehow, how Sam is going to be written for S9 has probably fallen to the bottom of her laundry list for now ...

... which leaves it up to her fans to keep up the pressure. AstroG has just raised a qood question: aside from this thread, how do we influence the shaping of the character in S9? Letters to Bridge Studios seem the only other alternative, unless we all don camouflage outfits and invade the studio to make our point! I can see MajorSam leading the charge already (she has combat boots)!

Hang around, Bink, and join us here in support of what the future will hold for Sam Carter, scientist and soldier supreme!

And thanks for the pep talk!!
      Great post ChopinGal! And I'm still chuckling at the image of us all in camouflage... LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        For sure, Meta. I mean, death was certain. What, Sam doesn't qualify for Ascension?

Or was she a sure bet because she'd been "glowed" by Orlin? Hummm.... Gracie wanders off to contemplate the plot possibilities over a Blueberry ale

I just meant that, since the PTB couldn't have MS in the flesh and since they did that rather silly wind thing = Daniel at the end of the ep - to comfort Jack - then they should have done something to comfort Sam, and having Sam "see" Danny during her time of deep distress, when she was getting whumped, but the pain of having to say that Daniel was dead hurt more than the fire in her head... etc. Jeez, what a wasted opportunity.

yep it was. it probably boiled down to the simplicity of MS status. he was a guest actor that season...which means they had to pay him to show up and....well maybe it just wasn't in the budget to pay him, or maybe he was off doing whatever that movie was while meta was being taped.

I mean, there are practical explanations, but still, it did glaringly stand out that jack and teal'c all got visits, while sam, the one that grieved the hardest, was ignored

in fact, i think it'd be one heck of a plot bunny. sam was noticibly hurt when the boys told her that they'd seen daniel and hadn't told her...gotta wonder if that hurt turned into a bit of resentment that needed to be dealt with
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Hi Bink
          What a nice surprise to find you posting here after some of our really good back-and-forths months ago at the other Sam-oriented threads. I wasn't sure you were still around. Portraying Sam as the competent and three-dimensional character she is was always a theme you addressed well. And, once again, your wise words are good to hear, especially on this thread which has some of the most loyal and supportive fans of the character.

Hang around, Bink, and join us here in support of what the future will hold for Sam Carter, scientist and soldier supreme! And thanks for the pep talk!!
          Hi and thanks very much for your kind post. I have not been around as much as I have been very discouraged and disappointed as to how they have portrayed Carter since mid-season 7 and my interest in SG has waned considerably because of that, as well as all of the other changes, including having the other main characters behaving out of chaacter, at least to me, but thanks for the welcome back. I still hang around the boards to see what folks are up to and what is going on with the show. I do not watch too often anymore but I do read comments to see if there is any reason to watch -- like perhaps some huge event that would give back the old Carter and get rid of what I see as the current emotionally stunted Carter who seems to be moving backwards and often, IMO, has her head up her a$$ (I stopped watching, in part, because I just could not watch what they are doing to this character and, from the sound of it, the upcoming Threads episode does nothing to help Carter, at least in the area that I have the most trouble with the character right now, (this is all my opinion of course)).

Anyway, I have sent my 2 cents to Mallozzi, several times in fact, (and to Cooper and to PDL - his was specifically about Gemini since he wrote, what IMO was, a big mess) and I have posted in several threads in the past about why Carter should be in charge upon ATs return so my hope is that TPTB, and whoever else from SG watch the forums, will get the point about Carter and they will do the right, and best, thing. I thought I would bring it up on this thread seeing as you guys are very, very, strong advocates for Carter so it might light the proverbial fire and get you guys talking up the Carter in charge arc so everyone will hear you and start others talking about it too - my feeling whether you write or e-mail directly or whether it gets going on this forum, and elsewhere, hopefully TPTB will hear it and see it - will they do the right thing - who knows but it cannot hurt to at least say it and get people talking about it in the positive.

I'm still not likely to watch much of S9 - don't care for BB1 or CB (and not interested in Fargate - TPTB can crow all they want that this is not a ratings stunt to pull in the Farscapers but I know better, (I did not just fall of the pickle boat) and I'm not interested in BB2 so there is not much reason to watch, especially the first 5 eps which I have pretty much written off already without Jack or Carter and basically without SG1 (they can call it SG1 but . . . ). I do like Daniel and Teal'c but, to be honest, Daniel bores me and most of the Daniel centric eps have bored me to tears and I never watch them twice, if I even watch them once (I passed on PU which it sounds like was quite aptly named with its acronym) and Teal'c just hasn't been a main enough character to grab me to watch shows centered around his character either and, to be honest again, whispers I love Joan of Arcadia.)

I feel that by not watching on a regular basis I am at least taking my stand and since I am disappointed in how the show is developing (with Carter and the other characters as well as the new group) I feel okay that I at least did something about it (I'm not a Nielsen household so I hold no power in that regard but at least TPTB know they lost one loyal fan who had been there since season 1 and owned all of the seasons on DVD until 7 came along, they lost my dime on 7 and on 8 and they will likely lose it on 9 unless something radical happens for the good - I will continue to hope for that turn-around that will bring me back to the show full-time (putting Carter in command upon ATs return may be that turning point as long as they have the old Carter as the one in charge not the current out-of-character Carter) but how they handle that, as well as how they write these new people in and handle them, will be deciding. I believe that if the new characters are lame and if the stories continue to go downhill, as I think they have, and if they continue to focus on earth based stories (I find them boring and uneventful and way to limiting, like most of S7 and S8, IMO) even having Carter in charge will not in and of itself be enough to bring me back.

Anyway, sorry to go on but thanks again for your nice comments.

Comment

Very nicely said, SkyDiver and I agree 100% especially the part about ATs wishes (if she doesn't want it for whatever reason, especially if she wants to cut back hours, then the point is obviously moot). My thoughts are generated by comments I have seen from AT about wanting to show Carter more in charge in S9 so my assumption is that, at least thus far, she intends to be back in full swing with Carter and that Carter will be in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              Sam's status

well, my suggestion is several fold:

first, if there's an opportunity to express your desire to keep sam in charge elsewhere, take it. say how you're looking forward to sam returning to command when amanda returns

second, write letters. send them to bridge, send them to mgm. KEEP IT NICE!!!

don't yell, rant, go on for 10 pages. Just state your desire to see sam returning to command in a short, polite letter, preferrably no more than a page long

I would suggest, don't cream joe with e-mails or PM's. dude gets it all the time adn really, he's just one writer of several. Yes, he does have a bit of pull, but the folks that really call the shots are higher in the food chain than he is and while folks may listen to him, he doesn't have final say in much. respect the limitations of his position

I would also suggest, don't argue about it. there are folks out there that won't be happy unless and until Sam is written off the show(and honestly, i think they'd find something to complain about even then), and they won't ever feel otherwise, so don't waste your time trying to convince anyone. Don't waste your time arguing and making folks mad. all that really comes from that is the attitude of 'eh, she's just one of those nutso sam fans....<delete>'

respect thier opinions just like you'd like yours respected

My suggestions of who to send it to

Rob Cooper, Peter DeLuise, Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie
              c/o Bridge Studios
              2400 Boundary Road
              Burnaby, BC, Canada
              V5M3Z3

Hank Cohen
              c/o MGM
              2500 Broadway st
              Santa Monica, CA 90404-3061
              Attn: Stargate
              Skydiver - thanks very much for the info, suggestions and recommendations - and the addresses and names.
              Originally posted by Major Fischer
              I've already done what Skydiver suggested, and I though I'd post an example (please do not copy word for word) of the letter I sent to the writers.

---

Dear Sirs,

I wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed Stargate: SG1 (and Stargate Atlantis) and respect tremendously the work that you have done with the show. Smart, fun, well written science fiction on television is often hard to maintain and the upcoming ninth season of SG1 surely is a tribute to the entire cast and crew of the show.

I am concerned however, about some rumors going around about the story arc of Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter. While I am aware that a great many series regulars are being added to both shows in the next season, I will admit to being quite distressed over spoilers suggesting that one of those regulars will replace Carter in command of SG1. I have been involved both with women in the military, and several relatives involved with women in the sciences. Carter is a powerful role model (or has been over the years), and I was very disappointed that season eight did not an opportunity to explore her position in command.

I look forward to seeing Amanda Tapping in the role again once her child is born and hope to have many more years both enjoying her performance, and your program.

Respectfully,
              MajorFischer - This is a wonderfully written, respectful and polite letter that is also short and to the point. Very impressive. Thanks so much for sharing it with us here on this thread.
              I was chewing all of this over... the little blips of info that we keep getting about Season 9, what I've read about Season 9 casting at a couple of Yahoo Groups, Binkpmmc's post, MajorSal's, MajorSam's, ChopinGal's, TokraHostess'es posts, NearlyCircular's, jckfan's, coley's, chocdoc's, ForeverSG-1's, UberSG-1Fan's, MajorFischer's, AgentDark's, Deepspace's, Fred's, Tara353's, DancerofSpaz's, Hrh's... and I apologize if I've left anyone out...

At any rate, I've been mulling it all over... and I think that a lot of solid Sam Carter/AT fans are true 'troopers' - just as has been said about AT over and over again. We all have our core beliefs, but we're also team players. I see that as a huge positive trait... so when do we speak up? Even AT has made suggestions and argued for certain aspects of Carter's character and how it is portrayed... for example, it was AT's idea to get Sam a motorcycle for that little scene in The Curse - when they had written it as Sam pottering in her garden - AT said something along the lines of 'gardening? Come on - this woman's an adrenaline junkie! Let's do something besides gardening! And the scene with Jack at his cabin in 2010, AT asked for, and got, Sam to be a little stronger than the scene was originally written. AT came up with that wonderful 'in your face' adlib "Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week! Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!"

So there are times to be a team player and times to speak up... but which is which? And how do we do it in a positive and constructive fashion? What is effective and appropriate? Sadly, in life the squeaky wheel really is the one that gets the grease... just positive thinking isn't enough to grease the wheel. Skydiver's post was excellent and Major Fischer's letter was superb. I haven't written to the writers and/or directors before, but I am now going to craft something to send to them. This is a wonderful thread on a fantastic subject - and we need to spread some of it beyond the walls of the SaGC... while avoiding the trolls!
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 March 2005, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                Very nicely said, SkyDiver and I agree 100% especially the part about ATs wishes (if she doesn't want it for whatever reason, especially if she wants to cut back hours, then the point is obviously moot). My thoughts are generated by comments I have seen from AT about wanting to show Carter more in charge in S9 so my assumption is that, at least thus far, she intends to be back in full swing with Carter and that Carter will be in charge.
                i agree with you. amanda does seem to really care about sam and how she is portrayed. and it is very possible that she plans to go back to situaltion normal once she has her time off. of course, she's also said that the normal 14 hour days just aren't going to happen because she does need/want to devote time to being mommy.

i think time will tell how things happen. it's a new situation for all. she's never been a mom before, the show has never dealt with a major actor being a mother before, so everyone is going to be playing it by ear.

my thought with writing letters is to give anyone who wishes to/needs to fight for something ammunition to use. However, i also think that true fans of an actor will respect that actor's wishes. If she chooses to quit after s9, then, to me, the responsible and respectful response is 'i wish you werent' going going, but i also wish you the best of luck and thanks for the memories' or something along that line.

If sam leaves, yes, a lot of my enjoyment of the show will go with her. but i respect amanda's choices and, at the end of the day, it's her life.

Which is why, i have no issue with saying 'this is what i'd like/what i enjoy' but will not say 'gimme this or else!!!'

if she chooses to try and keep sam at the same level as before, i obviously support her 1000%, but if she decides it's time to step back, then i support her doing that as well

sigpic

Comment

I'm not going to start writing letters asking for the writers to put Sam in charge for season9. Whatever they have decided to do for season9, they have already decided to do. It's already started filming.
                  And even if it hadn't, I don't think I have the right to tell them to do it differently, after all, it's their show. And besides, I haven't stopped watching Stargate because of the fact that Sam has been portrayed differently. She's still been in it, and that has been all that's mattered to me so far. I have however said in this thread in the past that I would love to see Sam being more of a Soldier again.
                  I also believe that when Amanda has her baby, Sam probably won't be her top priority, so why should we try to make her be?
                  If this makes me in any of you're eyes less of a Sam Carter fan, then I don't mind. I am however a fan of Stargate, and I do respect just about everything they've done in the show over the years. Sometimes it's not exactly what I want, but it's still a lot better than any other sci-fi show I've ever watched.
                  Ever since I heard they were writing a season9, and that two people from Farscape were going to be in it, I haven't been 100% sure I like the idea of a season9. I'm still not. And Jack gone is going to make it very different. But I'm willing to let them try, and see what happens. If they get a whole lot of Farscape fans suddenly watching Stargate, fine. It doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly start watching Farscape.
                  I hope I don't offend any hard core Sam fans by saying all this, and maybe I'm not a hard core Sam fan, because I don't think I should be influencing the decisions of TPTB. But I say that considering we thought season8 was going to be the end, maybe we should be glad that we are even getting a tiny snippet more of seeing at least some, if not all, of the characters we love.
                  Sorry guys, maybe 7am isn't a good time to post, my head's probably not working properly.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

SPOILERS FOR THREADS AND RECKONING:

Spoiler:
                    I have had a few days to think about this episode since I saw it on Thursday. I wasn’t sure of my opinions on it at first.
                    I do think it was a really good episode. There were just some bits that have been niggling me a bit.
                    First of all though, I want to say that I think they chose a very sensitive and appropriate way for a brilliant character to die. I liked how it was his symbiote Selmak who was dying, and that Jacob had decided to die with him. I loved the way that Sam came to terms with the fact that her father was dying, and felt good that she had gained four years to get to know a father that she never thought she would know, thanks to Selmak. She was understandably still upset, but it was not a dark kind of upset so much as being in knowledge of what was happening, and knowing there was nothing she could do.
                    While I liked the episode Chimera, and thought it was a good, fun episode, I always wished they had made it just a one off. It is not that I didn’t like Pete, I just didn’t particularly like the idea of Sam marrying him. Buying the house without asking her gave her a good opportunity to break it off with him, and I am glad this happened. I am also glad that they didn’t have him begging and pleading with her not to leave him. That would have made things more difficult, and made her feel worse about her decision.
                    The scenes at Jack’s house were a little awkward, but I guess that’s what they were meant to be. I preferred the scene in the infirmary area of Jack being there for Sam while her father was dying. I guess something that makes me not fit into the Sam/Jack shipper category is that I’ve always prefered the moments between Jack and Sam to be moments where you, as the audience, just know that they care about each other, but without it having to be spelled out. I have always liked the subtle hints, and some of the times where it’s blatently obvious to us, but it’s not stated. I don’t need them to be married, though I don’t mind if they are. I think my most favourite moment showing Sam’s love for Jack was at the end of The Lost City, when Jack is frozen in stasis.
                    The things that bother me however, are basically how one minute the Jaffa have strong hold over the ancient weapon, next minute Anubis has taken full control of the weapon and is about to press the button to end all life in the galaxy. Then next minute everythings ok and everything’s saved, Daniel’s back and alive (not that I’m not glad he’s back, I thought he’d really gone this time!). It just seems like a bit of an anticlimactic ending. After the episode finished it almost felt like something was missing, and like they were trying to wrap it up too fast. They’ve had far less serious threats in the past and more detail has been paid to them. Maybe they used up all their special effects on the Replicator battle in Reckoning, and couldn’t afford to do any battle scenes, but it seemed a bit flat for such a major thing as the prospect of the end of all life in the galaxy.

Somehow I ended up watching Secrets on DVD last night. I didn’t know which episode it was until I started watching, and then it seemed quite appropriate that I had ended up choosing to watch the episode where Jacob is first introduced, after having just watched his last episode. Now I remember just how brilliant those scenes were, when Jacob wants his daughter to become an astronaut so desparately, to see her accomplish her life dreams before he dies of cancer; how Sam looks so hurt because she knows that she has already accomplished her life dreams and more, but can’t tell him. And how because of that he can’t understand why she doesn’t want to join NASA, and is therefore himself hurt. It just reminds me of what a great natural interaction Sam and Jacob have in episodes, and how I will miss that he won’t be there any more.

I do apologise for cluttering up the Sam thread with all my thoughts, though I do think some of what I’ve said has relevance to Sam. I know I should probably be posting this in a general episode discussion thread, but I know you people here which makes it easier to talk knowing that you’re not people I haven’t talked to before. So thankyou to anyone who read all that. I am interested to go back in this thread and read the comments that everyone else who’s watched this ages ago wrote.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I want to say thankyou to astrogeologist. She always gives us absolutely brilliant screencaps, and superb summaries of all our comments on the season polls put together! So I want to give BLUE JELLO to our keeper of the flame!
                      I'm going to be away for the next four days, so I will have to leave season6 poll till I get back. And this time I know how many pages of this thread there will be waiting for me !

Everyone have a great time!

--deepspace (royal page)

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I've just seen that I am Jaffa Fodder now!
                        And that I have made over 50 posts!
                        gosh, that's 50 posts that I've inflicted on you guys? Ouch.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

thanks for all your good sam thoughts deepspace. you analyzed the episode quite well.

and as to not writing....that's cool. it's not a campaign. there's not a quota or requirements. You do what you want to do. and not writing doesn't make you any less of a fan

and if anyone hints at that, let me know and i'll whack em

People can do whatever they want to do, and along with respecting whatever amanda's wishes are, we have to respect each others' wishes as well.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                            I've just seen that I am Jaffa Fodder now!And that I have made over 50 posts! gosh, that's 50 posts that I've inflicted on you guys? Ouch.
                            LOL! 50 good posts - and we are honored that you posted here on the SaGC! Your posts are thoughtful and considerate and honest. -And thanks for the blue jello!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I also think it would be out of character for Sam to leave the AF. Wasn't there that exchange with her other self in one of the AU episodes something like:
                              Dr. Carter: I can't imagine being in the military.
                              Sam: Wow, I can't imagine not.
                              Very true but I also recall reading an chat with AT where someone asked
                              if Sam had to make the decision of being a scientist or moving up within
                              the USAF, which would she choose?

AT's response was that she felt Sam would always choose the science, as
                              that's her passion. She is very loyal to the military but science is what drives
                              Sam.

Season Nine
                              Spoiler:

One way I look at possible changes for season nine, at least in the beginning, is that over the past year we have obtained a lot of alien technology like that of the puddle jumper. The USAF would not only need Sam around to really break down this alien technology, but I think it probably gnaws at Sam that she hasn't had the extra time to really put more of herself into the science aspect of working at the SGC since she took on her new role as CO of SG-1.

Not that she doesn't want to be a part of SG-1 any longer, but with O'Neill's career move, as well as upcoming budget cuts to the Stargate program and possibly limited gate travel, Sam may see her best contributions being that of a scientific aspect. I could see Sam not wanting to sit back waiting for the bureaucrats to decided what they are going to do, when scientifically there is so much she could be doing.

I know it's not an aspect most of us want too see, Sam stepping away from her commanding position or SG-1, but I really think of Sam as a scientist first and foremost. She may love her military career, but in the end the military side of it is just that... a job.

Not sure if I needed the spoilers, but didn't want to ruin season nine for anyone who has been avoiding spoilers.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                                I'm not going to start writing letters asking for the writers to put Sam in charge for season9. Whatever they have decided to do for season9, they have already decided to do. It's already started filming.
                                You're probably right. Still, I don't see anything wrong with fans making their feelings known in a respectful, rational way as has been suggested. I won't be writing a letter though, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X