Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    Another potential opportunity is how Sam interacts with MM, Tea'c, and Daniel when she returns and how Sam returns to her leadership role on SG-1.

Hopefully AT will be treated well---just a well known fact that females have the babies--hopefully that should not affect her status on the show, particularly because she plans to return for 15/20 episodes. This whole thing raises Interesting gender issues.
    Originally posted by Skydiver
    it can be very bad if sam gets kicked in the teeth and 'put in her place'
    If Carter is no longer in charge of SG-1..after only getting one season...and most of that wasn't even with off-planet episodes where she could demonstate her command capabilities?... Then the fans and viewers will have been cheated out of what could have been very rewarding.

We need female leaders such as Amanda Tapping's portrayal of Sam Carter.

I have my fingers crossed that the shows writers and producers will handle things smartly (and not stereotypically).

Carter should command SG-1.
    Since BB's character is supposed to already know SG-1, it would be great if he chose to serve on SG-1 because he knew that he wanted to serve under her command... and then he's actually disappointed when she's missing at the beginning of his new assignment!

I was looking forward to Carter getting to command out in the field in Season 8, but they didn't write episodes that offered that opportunity. In science fiction shows, the female lead is so often the 2IC, the second in command...and/or the science officer...with the major lead and overall commander being a male actor. I was really looking forward to Sam Carter moving into the command position more than they have shown so far.

AT will handle it superbly if they use the opportunities that Season 9 provides..

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Forever In A Day'

Comment

Most of the following has been posted on other threads, but it felt appropriate to post here after some of the earlier posts on this thread.

Originally posted by chopingal
      I hope [A.T.] is able to return and continue to grow as Sam Carter in S9 if she is able to juggle both motherhood and her career. It would be lovely to see her taking Sam to new heights if the writers would provide the opportunities to get her back to her character's true arc: a strong woman warrior who is now a leader.
      Yes, I agree. I really hope they go in this direction [Carter's in charge when AT returns]. I will be very disappointed if they don't, to put it mildly.

I also think that the writers have a really good opportunity to write some interesting character development/growth for Sam in Season Nine. One potential opportunity is given in how her short absence is explained. They could make it really boring, like she is teaching at the academy for a bit, or make it more exciting (I don't know, maybe working on some secret mission with her father and then sometime goes terribly wrong---then SG-1 has to send out a rescue mission---[...])
      I find myself actually looking forward (albeit apprehensively )) to what the writers will devise for Sam Carter’s absence. I hope that the writers and directors come up with some truly creative ways to deal with the absences of AT and RDA in Season 9. To date, the Stargate writers and directors have surprised and impressed me with how well they handled Michael Shanks' departure for Season 6 and then RDA's reduced availability in Seasons 7 and 8. Having Daniel ascend after saving Jonas' planet was truly 'big'... truly heroic, and a great send-off (seeings that they didn't know that MS would be wanting to come back). And then – having Daniel take on Anubis single-handedly… again, appropriately ‘big and heroic’ for a sci-fi lead character.

And the accommodations for RDA in terms of the shooting schedules and the creative scripts that maintain O'Neill's presence. Allowing him to become a general, allowing his character to grow and develop. All very well done. And the integration of Ben Browder’s character sounds smartly done – that they are going to create a backstory for him that interweaves his character with the past many years of Stargate lore. What I’ve heard so far sounds appropriately ‘big and heroic’ for a lead character of SG-1 – what it will take to have the Stargate audience embrace the new character. HOWEVER, I will feel cheated by BB's character if he takes over permanent command of SG-1, replacing Carter.

Now... I just hope that the writers and directors can think 'big' and 'heroic' when it comes to storylines that deal with the absences of AT and RDA in Season 9. Hmmm... what I'm trying to say is that I hope that they don't do something lame... like say that Carter is just off working at the Academy, or on some research project or some such. That's a throwaway idea - not fit for what they have done so far. Beings that AT is slated to come back, I hope that they come up with a big storyline that intrigues the viewers. Maybe something that plays off that phrase that O'Neill used in the Lost City... 'National Treasure/National Resource'... I think there's a good episode title in there somewhere...

They've written 'big and heroic' episodes and scenes for O'Neill and Daniel and it sounds like they will be writing some for BB's character. O'Neill saved earth basically single-handedly in 'Lost City' and Daniel has Ascended and taken on Anubis... and BB's character is apparently going to be an X-302 hero.

I certainly hope that they are planning to write some 'big and heroic' arcs and stories for Carter.
      It's time to return to that. Carter is one of the original Stargate heroes.

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Nemesis'
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 17 January 2005, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        That's another thing I really appreciate about AT; she's always on the ball at work. She doesn't need to have the camera focused on her in order to act. She's always reacting to what is going on. No standing around with hands in her pocket waiting for her cue.
        Originally posted by Coley
        Thought of another few of my fave Carter/AT moments this time from Need.

When Sam, Jack and Teal'c are stuck down in the mine and Daniel bounces in and talks about the sarcophagus - "I've used it before without any side effects...... and look no glasses" Sam: "Sounds like a side effect to me!" along with a great expression

Coming back through the stargate she gives Daniel a real glare, then when O'Neill says to Hammond - "Had a great time sir, Sam got some naquedah ..... AT just apathetically lifts the package slightly - showing a slight peeve and tiredness from her ordeal.

I though it was excellently delivered. Just watch the hand movement and body language next time you see the ep.

DANIEL: And I've used it before without any side effects. And look! No glasses!
        CARTER: That looks like a side effect to me.

GATEROOM GENERAL HAMMOND is waiting at the bottom of the ramp for SG-1
        O'NEILL: We had a nice time, Sir. Carter picked up some Naquada. Teal'c made some new friends as usual. DANIEL got engaged. And, um, I'm gonna hit the showers.

And here's another few AT expressions that I liked from that episode:

In the first photo, Sam is reacting to Daniel's 'Royal Robes'...
        In the middle photo, Sam is trying to figure out a Daniel on withdrawal.
        In the third photo, Sam is reacting to a quarrelsome and increasingly edgy Daniel
        who is arguing for the general practice of using the sarcophagus.

CARTER: Look, your endorphin level was through the roof when we came back. And now you're coming down off of it. The effects of the sarcophagus are like a narcotic Daniel.
        DANIEL: Yeah, that makes you smarter, stronger, you live for hundreds of years, feel great. What the hell is so wrong with it?
        CARTER: I think it's partly what makes the Goa'uld as bad as they are.
        DANIEL: How?
        CARTER:
        Who knows. It's Goa'uld technology Daniel. Maybe it's healing affects alter your brain chemistry. Increased adrenaline, the hormones that make you more aggressive and irrational. Pyrus probably used to be a decent man. Look at yourself. It's like you need a fix. You've only used it a few times and already it's changed you.
        The photos are screen captures from the episode 'Need'
        The transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

I certainly hope that they are planning to write some 'big and heroic' arcs and stories for Carter.
          It's time to return to that. Carter is one of the original Stargate heroes.

Thanks for reminding me how creative the writers have been. I would love something that would stretch Tapping's character, and her acting skills. Just look at how much came out of Daniel ascending. If she's captured, please make it something good.
          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Hi everyone
            I'm feeling a little better - thanks astrogeologist.

As always everyones comments and astro's captures are a real joy!!

Lord Anubis - you could be sam's younger cousin? I don't think she has a younger brother. Yup you could pass for having her genes!

TGate - a good point re Ascention and Entity issues, I think the writers leave a whole lot to be assumed - as of course they can't fill a show full of explanations. But I was really surprised the chaps didn't belive her - it didn't run right for me. I liked Daniels reply to O'Neill when he said "How's Sam?" O'Neill replies - absolutley no sign at all of her alien visitor" (or something like that) Daniel replies witha surprised and slightly narked look on his face "How's Sam?!!

I'm with everyone re the BB/AT issue. Sam should lead - wouldn't make sense to me if she didn't. But as I said earlier in the thread I have my suspicions they went after BB for his appeal on Farscape he will bring a lot of fans to SG1 - then they wrote a character to fit him (they may have had to offer BB the lead to get him to sign) - which in the long run I don't think is a really good idea. You need to create a really good character first who will fit, compliment and expand the existing cast. (But hey maybe they've done that and I'm just too cynical).

I agree they may be trying to sex SG1 up - its not seen as a hip show - see the GAT4 thread and the flack its getting of CH4 presenters here in the UK. I also suspect this is why Claudia Black has been brought in (wasn't she voted sexiest female in Sci Fi or something one year). I'm afraid this just reflects the general dumbing down of society and an unhealthy obsession with good looks in my opinion (or is it the media which is dumbing us down?). I didn't know any of the actors when I started watching SG1 (which was only last summer by buying the DVD's) But the show was an instant hit with me. No one stood out instantly as being particulary good looking - they were all too busy being soldiers and explorers. Attraction grows based on a persons character (I think). I'm disapointed in the way Stargate is heading as it will lose a little bit of what it has stood for over the last 8 years. Hopefully I'm way off base and will be proved wrong - please!!!!!

I thought an experienced military female would be great - someone who would know Carter really well - like a really close cousin - there would be a comedic but affectionate spark. I also thought a female would potentially gel better with Teal'c (get a little closer - in a friend sense) and possibly enhance his role. I thought that the new character and Daniel would struggle trying to understand each other which may be fun.
            In the main I thought it would have been ground breaking to have 2 very strong females in the lead cast - who actually work really really well together. Maybe thats just me.

I'm sure Claudia Black is a great actor (I haven't seen her act) I just don't think she is right for SG1. I just hope they write a suitable and fun loving character for BB.

Thanks to astrogeologist again for all the captures - they're great!
            I'd forgotton about the Bikini quote by Urgo until I watched it last night - teriffic - I loved that whole scene.

Also in Need she did a great expression and delivery when replying to Daniels mention of a feast she said something like "You get food?"

I've just watched Failsafe - a great solid performance by AT - Sams just so competent (need spell check) She jus matter of factly says they could detonate the bomb in the ship to make sure - They're all hero's!!!

I'm surprised there are people who don't like Sam (want her in the background). I could quite understand people being possibly indifferent - or her not being everyones favourite. But not to like her! Whats not to like? I think all the cast are likeable (apart from those we love to hate). Every single one! I would love to see more of everyone given a 3 hour ep instead of 45 mins!

Everyone's comments are interesting as always. I'm off to watch more stargate (haven't really watched much else since the summer!!)

Comment

Coley, glad you are feeling a little better.

I think someone already mentioned this, but I really appreciated AT's performance in the torture scenes in New Order. It was very dramatic and you could really feel Sam's anguish.

What I also liked in these scenes is that I think Sam used an effective strategy against Fifth under these horrible conditions (and considerable pain). She tried to appeal to Fifth's human emotions---what there was of them. There was no way Sam was going to get out of this situation with physical force. There was nothing Fifth wanted but to torture her because he felt she betrayed her (and from his point of view she really did). So, a resourceful tactic is to appeal to his "compassion" and possible ability to "forgive." In the end, Sam's strategy was effective because he let her go.

I loved this performance and Sam's resourcefulness.

Comment

Hi everyone

TGate - a good point re Ascention and Entity issues, I think the writers leave a whole lot to be assumed - as of course they can't fill a show full of explanations. But I was really surprised the chaps didn't belive her - it didn't run right for me. I liked Daniels reply to O'Neill when he said "How's Sam?" O'Neill replies - absolutley no sign at all of her alien visitor" (or something like that) Daniel replies witha surprised and slightly narked look on his face "How's Sam?!!

I thought an experienced military female would be great - someone who would know Carter really well - like a really close cousin - there would be a comedic but affectionate spark. I also thought a female would potentially gel better with Teal'c (get a little closer - in a friend sense) and possibly enhance his role. I thought that the new character and Daniel would struggle trying to understand each other which may be fun.
                In the main I thought it would have been ground breaking to have 2 very strong females in the lead cast - who actually work really really well together. Maybe thats just me.

Yes, that O'Neill comment--something like "her imaginary friend" was too uncaring. Going for the laugh at the expense of the way the character probably would have acted.
                I always thought it would have been neat to see more interaction with Carter and Tealc's wife and now with Ishta.

Comment

I think someone already mentioned this, but I really appreciated AT's performance in the torture scenes in New Order. It was very dramatic and you could really feel Sam's anguish.

What I also liked in these scenes is that I think Sam used an effective strategy against Fifth under these horrible conditions (and considerable pain). She tried to appeal to Fifth's human emotions---what there was of them. There was no way Sam was going to get out of this situation with physical force. There was nothing Fifth wanted but to torture her because he felt she betrayed her (and from his point of view she really did). So, a resourceful tactic is to appeal to his "compassion" and possible ability to "forgive." In the end, Sam's strategy was effective because he let her go.

Nice post Chocdoc! And Chopingal is writing a fanfic along the very lines that you describe above; the story is called 'Head Trip'

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    Nice post Chocdoc! And Chopingal is writing a fanfic along the very lines that you describe above; the story is called 'Head Trip'
                    Thanks for reminding me, Astrogeologist! I am reading that fanfic and it is great so far.

Chopingal---thanks for writing Head Trip so far---can't wait to read the rest!

Comment

TGate - a good point re Ascention and Entity issues, I think the writers leave a whole lot to be assumed - as of course they can't fill a show full of explanations. But I was really surprised the chaps didn't belive her - it didn't run right for me. I liked Daniels reply to O'Neill when he said "How's Sam?" O'Neill replies - absolutley no sign at all of her alien visitor" (or something like that) Daniel replies witha surprised and slightly narked look on his face "How's Sam?
                      Daniel's reaction in that scene in Ascension reminds me of his reaction with Jack in the elevator in 'Grace'

O'NEILL: Sounds like a long shot.
                      DANIEL: Well unfortunately the Tok'ra are unable to send a ship at this time. They've promised to retrace the route of the Prometheus as soon as they can but visiting these planets is…
                      O'NEILL: What? Is what? (glaring)
                      DANIEL: Is something!
                      The photos are screen captures from the episodes 'Grace'
                      The transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

I just keep coming back to this thread - did you notice how a sisterhood seems to be developing here? And, of course, our "little brother" Jared too You are one brave dude to be hanging out with us older women And, yes, I think there is a resemblance to "young Jack".

Seriously, I feel safe on this thread. Everyone is linked positively to the admiration of AT and her portrayal of one great scifi character, Sam Carter.

There is such a lack of strong female roles on TV and in the movies, that it's just refreshing to have this one constant for the past eight seasons. We're thrilled she's coming back and we are reminding the writers to treat her right! No second-hand scripts, fellas!

I think there is so much complexity to the characters of both Sam and Jack and that this is why there's so much fanfic out there also. They intrigue and mystify us.

Some of you have mentioned the insane shooting schedules (as AT has mentioned herself) around RDA's reduced presence the past two seasons. I believe I read that on one day AT went from true grit in Death Knell right over to the Chimera glam scene, all while she was shooting Grace too. It's to all their credit that they are able to stay in character throughout. But it must takes its toll. I also hope that if RDA moves on out (at least the regs will be gone), that the shooting of episodes will return to a more cohesive and integrated process. Even in watching Singularity tonight - I was so amazed at the overall quality of that piece - everything fit - acting, writing, pace ... there was a lot of energy in the early seasons that I hope they can get back in S9. Oops - sorry - teetering on the brink here of going off topic!

Anyhow - let's keep this thread going! And, let's keep supporting each other and our favorite hero, Sam! One way we can do this is to write some strong fanfic showing her as the Sam Carter we all want to see on screen. And then we can hope that the (male) writers take the hint!

I know I'm not the only writer on this thread. What I would love is everyone sharing their links to their own Sam Carter stories - how great would that be? And, believe me, if you haven't read a story by AstroG yet - you are in for a real treat!

Peace (and don't forget Lowdown tonight!)
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 17 January 2005, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, Astrogeologist! I am reading that fanfic and it is great so far.

Chopingal---thanks for writing Head Trip so far---can't wait to read the rest!
                          Thanks for the publicity, AstroG, and many thanks for the compliments, Chocdoc Hope you continue to enjoy it - it's my way of saluting Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            they have dropped the ball on a ton of fall out. sam did get some from itlod, but then jolinar becomes a bit of a plot device, a 'secret weapon' to save the day

she's kidnapped in desp meas and, in the end, the focus is on jack with nearly no mention of the trauma

in nightwalker she gets a second snake and there's nary a mention, same with new order

it is great for fic fodder, but if you don't read fic, then you don't get much of a closure fix
                            Yes! Desperate Measures and New Order had pretty big things happen to Sam, and have shown no fall out from such harrowing ordeals. Sam's not a machine, so where's the reactions? But like I said before, they've done it with the guys as well (Jack and Abyss anyone?).

Sally, who's excited about the new Lowdown on tonight!

ps - Now that Sam's had two symbiotes die within her (Nightwalkers), does that mean she's got double the naquada in her blood? I don't think she's got two sets of memories???....
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

ps - Now that Sam's had two symbiotes die within her (Nightwalkers), does that mean she's got double the naquada in her blood? I don't think she's got two sets of memories???....
                              conrad's clones didn't have naq in them. however, i would imagine that sam has a hell of alot of scar tissue at the back of her neck. two symbiotes absorbing has to have some effect
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I recorded New Order to keep. And I only did that because of Sam/Amanda. Amanda was incredible in the torture scenes!

If Amanda were here right now, I'd thank her for being a fantastic actress and fantastic person.

*applauds*

You earned it, woman!

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X