Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Onto another topic... I just wanted to tell you again how much I really admire the great work you do with the photos of Sam.
    I finally got a program to capture pictures from the DVD and as
    much as I play around with them, none of them look half as great
    as yours. Do you have a background in photography? Or is
    this just a talent you've acquired in time? Maybe I still have a
    small chance. ForeverSG1
    I was saying it Ka-less-ta in my head too, so I'm glad that you posted the correct pronunciation! And thanks for the nice comments about my pics - I don't have a background in photography or any such... I'm a geologist by training.... What I do is take the screen caps into Photoshop and follow a couple of simple steps that I've found (by trial and error) work best for me. First, I trim(crop) the pics of anything that is extraneous. Next, I size the pic - usually so that it's only 150 pixels hi (I try and keep them small so that they don't overwhelm anyone's ISP when they view them). Third, I arrange the pics in a sequence (panel). Because the screen caps are usually so dark, I then run the AutoLevels filter... and I usually don't like those results, so I undo it and then manually play with the brightness and contrast controls. Finally, I run a couple of sharpness filters to see which looks best. Photoshop has thousands of other options and filters... and whenever I play with them, the pic ultimately looks worse and worse... so I don't play around much with the full power of the program.

Edit addition:
    After I'd posted the above stuff, I continued reading new posts and found your wonderful screen cap panel from Demons

[/indent]Jack's little Dr. Evil Impersonation
    So, it looks to me like you pretty much already know what you are doing! You put all four pics together nicely -- *love* the looks on Sam's (AT's) face!

Last edited by astrogeologist; 01 March 2005, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Yes, and this was an example of the writers' getting it right regarding incorporating the personal life of Sam into the scifi frame of the show! The whole father-daughter arc was clever, and beautifully written. I often wondered if Jacob may have been seen as useful for just an episode or two in S3, but then the fans' positive reaction and the chemistry between the two actors convinced the writers to develop the character more fully and keep him around.

Again, a great example of Sam = personal and professional = one interesting arc because the basis of the arc was the Stargate and SG1's history and adventures.

I know we've tossed this around already, but it's worth repeating. There was no sudden spin-off into Sam's personal life outside her life at SGC ... just a graceful insertion of a new and interesting character (Jacob) within that context.
      Beautifully stated ChopinGal!

Comment

Well my daughter decided she wanted to go back to playgroup today. She hasn't been there in weeks so I had five hours to kill all by my lonesome. *Gasp* Needless to say I was slightly bored, so I decided to play around
        with some of the pictures Astro has on her website and found myself making this.

It's still a work in progress, but was curious what you all thought.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Ya, I wonder how she is coming along her pregnancy. Almost there. The last couple of weeks are the worst.

Comment

100 pages people! A glorious day indeed!

And I too wish to hear more of our Presidents day on the set!

Edit: Oh, great banner there ForeverSg1!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              100 pages people! A glorious day indeed!

And I too wish to hear more of our Presidents day on the set!

Edit: Oh, great banner there ForeverSg1!

Laugh, my 13yr old nephew just saw the banner I posted and his response
              was ...

"Why did you call her Samanda...and what's up with the jelly beans?"
              Guess, a lot of people may be confused by it. Gotta love inside jokes
              and secrets.

Comment

Well my daughter decided she wanted to go back to playgroup today. She hasn't been there in weeks so I had five hours to kill all by my lonesome. *Gasp* Needless to say I was slightly bored, so I decided to play around
                with some of the pictures Astro has on her website and found myself making this.

It's still a work in progress, but was curious what you all thought.

ForeverSG1
                Work in Progress??!! Wow! It looks *great* - and it's so far beyond anything I could do... well, I could make something sorta like that... but it would look horrible! Great Sam shots that you chose - and love the jelly beans along the bottom! Now, I'm curious... can you make the letters in 'Samanda' partially transparent? Color Burn or Overlay or some such? I'm just brainstorming here - my suggestions might be terrible (if even possible...

At any rate - I'm impressed! Are you using Photoshop?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  Beautifully stated ChopinGal!
                  Jonathan Glassner wrote The Tok'ra.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
                    Jonathan Glassner wrote The Tok'ra -hrh
                    We should send him some virtual blue jello!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      Work in Progress??!! Wow! It looks *great* - and it's so far beyond anything I could do... well, I could make something sorta like that... but it would look horrible! Great Sam shots that you chose - and love the jelly beans along the bottom! Now, I'm curious... can you make the letters in 'Samanda' partially transparent? Color Burn or Overlay or some such? I'm just brainstorming here - my suggestions might be terrible (if even possible...

At any rate - I'm impressed! Are you using Photoshop?

Is this what you were talking about? Or a bit more transparent?

Only bad part is I have to remove the jelly beans each time and the darn
                      things are random color and direction so I have to sit forever getting them
                      to look right laugh. The other stuff is pretty easy though, just takes
                      tinkering. I've only had this program for a week or so now so I'm still learning all the little gagets and gizmos.

Oooh after looking at this one in preview, I think I like it better already!
                      Woo!

ForeverSG1

P.S Hmm, actually I'm using a program my dad gave me.
                      Not Photoshop...it's called Paint Shop Pro 8.1

Comment

Regarding/You're AMAZING 4 year old Forever... I LOVE taht child!! HAHA, i'm most definately going to take the same approach when I have my own. I'm just thinking about Amanda's... I mean, she has to practice lines in front of SOMEONE! I can totally see the baby's first words being "Theoretical" or "Wormhole" or something As well, I'm loving the pic thing love that colour Orange... *sigh*

And all you people's comments on everything episode related are GREAT!!!

Originally posted by deepspace
                        Dear Madam President,
                        I have been kindly informed by the Court Jester that my duties consist of transcribing the minutes from court meetings (though I do believe Tok'ra Hostess is indeed the Royal Scribe), and staying by the Queens side. If there are any additional duties that I may perform for Madam President at any time, all she need do is ask.
                        For now I would bring your attention to an important matter. The citizens and royalty of Samanda are waiting in great anticipation to hear more of your adventures near the set of Desparate Measures. We are, shall we say, desparate to know more of them.
                        It would be a great honour if you would recount your tale to us.
                        Yours,
                        Royal Page
                        Well ya see I um... Well I got on set...! lol, Sorry, can't go around spouting my trade secrets. It was an INCREDIBLE experience though I was just a wee one back in that day, who'd spent the past 4 or so years putting this woman up on a pedestal, having my life's goal as meeting her, and all in a rush BANG, I was meeting her! The one time in my life I think where I went into actual medical SHOCK without getting injured. She walked up to me, and i was just like My entire body shut down. I stood stock still, staring, lol, I coudln't move, think, or speak! I remember at one point she asked me what my favourite episode was and I was just like :| :| :| Couldn't think at all, nothing was registering! I finally blurted out "InTheLineOfDuty!" and she's liek "oh that's one of my favourites!" and i'm like "i know!" lol, I actually did that a few times... Anyways, as time progressed I started getting somewhat looser... (as in could hold a somewhat-comprehensible conversation) and we talked about tons of stuff
                        One funny thing I liked was in between two takes when the make-up people were swarming her and putting all this lip gloss and stuff, and she took a tissue and wiped it all off, proclaiming "Aaah, too many goopies!" you've got to love a natural girl. It was very fun, after each take of her "abduction" when the van stopped, and everyone hopped out, she would always look at me for a thumbs up, thumbs down. We both definately agreed one which one was the best with simultaneous thumbs way up. I felt very important, lol.

Here's some pics:
                        *that orange thing across her stomach is my name blotted out, lol*

The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                          Regarding/You're AMAZING 4 year old Forever... I LOVE taht child!! HAHA, i'm most definately going to take the same approach when I have my own. I'm just thinking about Amanda's... I mean, she has to practice lines in front of SOMEONE! I can totally see the baby's first words being "Theoretical" or "Wormhole" or something As well, I'm loving the pic thing love that colour Orange... *sigh*

Thank you for your kind words. Give me a year or so and I'll have her typing up here on this thread.

Well ya see I um... Well I got on set...! lol, Sorry, can't go around spouting my trade secrets. It was an INCREDIBLE experience though I was just a wee one back in that day, who'd spent the past 4 or so years putting this woman up on a pedestal, having my life's goal as meeting her, and all in a rush BANG, I was meeting her! The one time in my life I think where I went into actual medical SHOCK without getting injured. She walked up to me, and i was just like My entire body shut down. I stood stock still, staring, lol, I coudln't move, think, or speak! I remember at one point she asked me what my favourite episode was and I was just like :| :| :| Couldn't think at all, nothing was registering! I finally blurted out "InTheLineOfDuty!" and she's liek "oh that's one of my favourites!" and i'm like "i know!" lol, I actually did that a few times... Anyways, as time progressed I started getting somewhat looser... (as in could hold a somewhat-comprehensible conversation) and we talked about tons of stuff
                          One funny thing I liked was in between two takes when the make-up people were swarming her and putting all this lip gloss and stuff, and she took a tissue and wiped it all off, proclaiming "Aaah, too many goopies!" you've got to love a natural girl. It was very fun, after each take of her "abduction" when the van stopped, and everyone hopped out, she would always look at me for a thumbs up, thumbs down. We both definately agreed one which one was the best with simultaneous thumbs way up. I felt very important, lol.
                          You're definitely a very brave young woman. I'm not sure if I would have been so bold as to speak with Amanda. One on one I do well in chats, but around a bunch of people I don't think I would have ever said anything to her.
                          I admire people who have the courage to stand up and be noticed.

My sister has been a big fan of Rick Springfield's (not sure if you know who he is or not), for the past twenty years. She was 13 yrs old when she first met him. She's met him about a dozen times since then because she always has the nerve to go up and say 'hi'. I get to live vicariously through her and people like yourself.

If Amanda was sitting next to me at a bus stop for two hours, I don't know if I'd have the nerve to say 'Hi'. Hopefully she would be bored enough to say 'hi' first.

ForeverSG1

Comment

... It's still a work in progress, but was curious what you all thought.

ForeverSG1
                            My Dear Royal Nanny

Obviously, you have available time whilst waiting for the arrival of the royal heir ... and what a clever image you have given us!

If this be a "work in progress", then I eagerly await the finished product!

I think we must petition Madam President to consider somehow adapting this Samanda Banner as a logo for the kingdom or, perhaps, a new iron-on for Madam's next Gatecon t-shirt!
                            I hereby request the ordering of the Samanda Bean Shirt for all loyal citizens of Samanda. Oh yea, what say?! Shall we take a vote? Of course, we must depend on our Royal Accountant's checking the ledger to ascertain if we have enough beans to procure such merchandise.

In homage to your digital talent, along with Keeper's and Agent Dark's exemplary photographic endeavors, I ask our Madam President to bestow some Green and Speckled Beans!

Cordially,

Jester
                            Last edited by ChopinGal; 01 March 2005, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Is this what you were talking about? Or a bit more transparent?
                              That looks fantastic!
                              Let me see if I can get the episodes...
                              Entity, 2010, 2001, Foothold, In The Line Of Duty...
                              How'd I do?

The other stuff is pretty easy though, just takes
                              tinkering. I've only had this program for a week or so now so I'm still learning all the little gagets and gizmos.
                              You've only had the program a week!? Wow! You're already creating professional looking stuff! You could probably have a business and work from home creating graphic arts for the internet for folks!

Comment

You're definitely a very brave young woman. I'm not sure if I would have been so bold as to speak with Amanda. One on one I do well in chats, but around a bunch of people I don't think I would have ever said anything to her.
                                I'm the same way in a crowd. I could imagine being amongst a group of fans, but I doubt I would step up and say something.

If Amanda was sitting next to me at a bus stop for two hours, I don't know if I'd have the nerve to say 'Hi'. Hopefully she would be bored enough to say 'hi' first.
                                LOL at 'Hopefully she would be bored enough to say 'hi' first!

Now sitting next to her at a bus stop for two hours... I *know* I'd say something! Don't have a clue *what*, but I'd make some kind of conversation.... How do I know this? Because I've done it with complete strangers when in such situations... there's something about being stuck on a bus, or a plane, or a bus stop bench... that if it lasts long enough, then the person next to you doesn't look like a stranger anymore... you're sharing 'this' experience with them...

Comment

Working...
                                X